China Will Force Vg Companies To Expose Drop Rates And Probabilities Of Loot Boxes

98 replies to this topic

#1 Kshahdoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:05 AM

http://www.vg247.com...-probabilities/

Are they playing MWO there in China?

#2 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:07 AM

View PostKshahdoo, on 08 December 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

You are only allowed to play Liao there

#3 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostBush Hopper, on 08 December 2016 - 07:07 AM, said:

You are only allowed to play Liao there

suply crates won't drop anymore for the chinese players :P

#4 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:37 AM

Would you be shocked if your chance at winning a mech was 1 in 1000? I rarely agree with Red China, but having more info when gambling can't be a bad thing. You roughly know your odds when playing table games in Vegas right?

#5 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:43 AM

View PostSmithMPBT, on 08 December 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

Would you be shocked if your chance at winning a mech was 1 in 1000? I rarely agree with Red China, but having more info when gambling can't be a bad thing. You roughly know your odds when playing table games in Vegas right?

I guess usually that chance is like 1/100. but yes this is actually soem good thing coming from china. Those gambling boxes always were bad and there is a ton of people who throw hundreds and even thousends of dollar into them.

#6 Goober Gabber v2

• PipPipPip
  • The Kicker
  • The Kicker
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:44 AM

I thought games, that weren't made in China, are banned there.

But yeah. They shamelessly copy games -and- demand things from other companies, which aren't stationed in China, to publish information?

I don't know what to say about this anymore, other than the fact this is just simply stupid.

#7 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostKshahdoo, on 08 December 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

Soon as the Chinese Government show odds of seeing Gold Farmers in our online games, Ok.

Until then, **** China.

One major flaw, you are gambling in Vegas, your not gambling in MWO.

But if you want to gloss over that kinda important detail, sure, whatever floats your boat.

Edited by TWIAFU, 08 December 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#8 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:52 AM

Or what? PGI has no assets in China. The game servers are elsewhere and financial transactions servers are not in China. They have no leverage. Do they even have enough manpower to review and sanction every online game in the world? Lets be realistic.

Also a game developer that struggles to deliver core game features is not going to bend over backwards to appease the Chinese government. The game will be dead long before that unlikely scenario.

Edited by Spheroid, 08 December 2016 - 08:53 AM.

#9 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:00 AM

View PostGoober Gabber v2, on 08 December 2016 - 08:44 AM, said:

I thought games, that weren't made in China, are banned there.

But yeah. They shamelessly copy games -and- demand things from other companies, which aren't stationed in China, to publish information?

I don't know what to say about this anymore, other than the fact this is just simply stupid.

how can they be banned? china has a huge industry that lives form selling gold/ingame currency their little ingame farmers make and sell.

have you missed when this was a news

theres a lot more vids and documentary about it and if prisoners couldnt deliver enough farming quotes they even got beaten and stuff.

They have no leverage. Do they even have enough manpower to review and sanction every online game in the world? Lets be realistic.

They do because labour is dirt cheap in china, so manypower is not an issue, and if the law states you have to show those odds then they have leaverage, simply by legal powers resulting from the laws.

Edited by Lily from animove, 08 December 2016 - 09:03 AM.

#10 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:03 AM

You roughly know your odds when playing table games in Vegas right?
Not even roughly. The EXACT odds are readily available for anyone who cares to look.

As I recall, on slots especially, the odds are actually displayed on the devices themselves.

View PostSpheroid, on 08 December 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

Or what? PGI has no assets in China. The game servers are elsewhere and financial transactions servers are not in China. They have no leverage.

Well, I guess the worst China could do would be to block the mwomercs IPs from their webs if PGI didn't comply.

That's billions (literally) of potential players that wouldn't be allowed to risk 25mc on unlocking a crate that you already have a 1-in-12 chance of getting each match.

#11 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 08 December 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

Not even roughly. The EXACT odds are readily available for anyone who cares to look.

As I recall, on slots especially, the odds are actually displayed on the devices themselves.

Well, I guess the worst China could do would be to block the mwomercs IPs from their webs if PGI didn't comply.

That's billions (literally) of potential players that wouldn't be allowed to risk 25mc on unlocking a crate that you already have a 1-in-12 chance of getting each match.

sry but thats wrong in a digital product you do NOT know the odds just because I divide a wheel into 10 parts doesn't emans each parts resembles 10% chance to appear. mostlikely the main rpice is to appear a lot less likely, like 1% or such while the lowest amount prices appear like 20-30% of the time even with also just being one slot of the same size. The equal sizes suggest 10% chance while the true coded chances differ a LOT. I know this because I played a few of those games where this kind of fortune wheels existed that you could used once a day, and they never were on equal odds. Same goes for any machine in las vegas, just because you know the number of slot's doesn't means they appearance is equal.

PGI doesn't have to ban the chinese, they simply cold make a IP filter and erase all Chinsese palyers form buying and getting those crates dropped. also, just because you have billions of possible players doesn't means that the assets a company is calculating with is based on that. If I put something on ebay I don't prepare myself to sell it 4.000.000.000 times just because there are like 8 billion people in the world being possibel customers. This is seriously not how buisniss cases work - at least not the successfully ones.

Edited by Lily from animove, 08 December 2016 - 09:10 AM.

#12 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 08 December 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

Then they go back to VPN's to play the games and visit the sites the Government there blocks. Again.

#13 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 08 December 2016 - 09:11 AM, said:

Then they go back to VPN's to play the games and visit the sites the Government there blocks. Again.

yes, but at this point it doesn't matters anymore, because it is ouside of the games possibilities to properly verify where someone is located. It's just a matter of liability.

Edited by Lily from animove, 08 December 2016 - 09:14 AM.

#14 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:16 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 08 December 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

yes, but at this point it doesn't matters anymore, because it is ouside of the games possibilities to properly verify where someone is located. It's just a matter of liability.

Agreed.

None of this matters. The whole thing is comical.

#15 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:18 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 08 December 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

sry but thats wrong in a digital product you do NOT know the odds just because I divide a wheel into 10 parts doesn't emans each parts resembles 10% chance to appear. mostlikely the main rpice is to appear a lot less likely, like 1% or such while the lowest amount prices appear like 20-30% of the time even with also just being one slot of the same size. The equal sizes suggest 10% chance while the true coded chances differ a LOT. I know this because I played a few of those games where this kind of fortune wheels existed that you could used once a day, and they never were on equal odds. Same goes for any machine in las vegas, just because you know the number of slot's doesn't means they appearance is equal.
No, you misunderstand me. On digital slots, there's a screen which will show you the odds. On mechanical slots, it should be posted on a plackard on the machine, or near the "group" of machines (who uses mechanical slots any more), as far as the rest of the games, table games, and what not, those odds are published too, you can go to the cashiers cage, they'll probably tell you where to find them, OR, you can go online to find them. Table games the odds are VERY WELL known because all game's odds are designed to favor the house.

In fact the game that has the best (least unfavorable) odds for the player is craps.

Anyway, the information is there, you just need to ask/look for it.

PGI doesn't have to ban the chinese, they simply cold make a IP filter and erase all Chinsese palyers form buying and getting those crates dropped. also, just because you have billions of possible players doesn't means that the assets a company is calculating with is based on that. If I put something on ebay I don't prepare myself to sell it 4.000.000.000 times just because there are like 8 billion people in the world being possibel customers. This is seriously not how buisniss cases work - at least not the successfully ones.
Wow... The point of my post was completely missed.

I'm saying the Chinese government could block its citizens from being able to play this game, or reach any of PGI's sites, if PGI decides to not comply with the Chinese law (I don't know why PGI wouldn't publish the odds, heck, maybe they have, I haven't bothered trying to find it). That would mean those potential Chinese players wouldn't be able to reach PGI, not because of PGI blocking them, but their own government.

Get it?

If not, I give up.

#16 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

Yes it would involve a manpower limit. It would necessitate a full time workpool of hundreds playing and monitoring online games constantly and that group of players would need to be in contact with English-speaking Chinese lawyers who dealt with Canada and had no other Canadian trade issues pending. How likely is that?

This is an anti-Blizzard law designed for political pandering. I stand by my statement no issues will arise before MWO goes dark.

If PGI can quickly change the game code to accommodate the Chinese why can't they fix simple U.I. bugs like not showing players populating a CW drop after months of being broken? Forces on both sides will slow compliance even if agreed to.

Edited by Spheroid, 08 December 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#17 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 08 December 2016 - 09:35 AM, said:

Yes it would involve a manpower limit. It would necessitate a full time workpool of hundred playing and monitoring online games constantly and that group of players would need to be in contact with English-speaking Chinese lawyers who dealt with Canada and had no other Canadian trade issues pending. How likely is that?
China has lots of people willing to work at near slave labor wages (and prisoners that do actually work as slave labor), I don't see this as being something 'impossible' for them to pull off.

They have PLENTY of people to throw at the problem.

This is an anti-Blizzard law designed for political pandering. I stand by my statement no issues will arise before MWO goes dark.
I doubt this will affect MWO that much. If PGI cares, they can put a blurb on their website somewhere stating the odds (and as far as I know they may already have, I don't care enough to look for it).

It's not like PGI doesn't already know the odds, having programed this functionality, and it's not like it would take an incredible amount of effort to do so, and it's not like it's supposed to be some super huge secret, and it's not like it will change ANYTHING if they were to post the odds.

This is a non-issue, all the way around.

If PGI can quickly change the game code to accommodate the Chinese why can't they fix simply U.I. bug like not showing players populating a CW drop after months of being broken? Forces on both sides will slow compliance even if agreed to.
What I got from the article is that PGI wouldn't have to change the code, simply publicly publish the odds of winning various prizes.

Or have I misunderstood the point of the article referenced?

Edited by Dimento Graven, 08 December 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#18 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 08 December 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

No, you misunderstand me. On digital slots, there's a screen which will show you the odds. On mechanical slots, it should be posted on a plackard on the machine, or near the "group" of machines (who uses mechanical slots any more), as far as the rest of the games, table games, and what not, those odds are published too, you can go to the cashiers cage, they'll probably tell you where to find them, OR, you can go online to find them. Table games the odds are VERY WELL known because all game's odds are designed to favor the house.

In fact the game that has the best (least unfavorable) odds for the player is craps.

Anyway, the information is there, you just need to ask/look for it.

Wow... The point of my post was completely missed.

I'm saying the Chinese government could block its citizens from being able to play this game, or reach any of PGI's sites, if PGI decides to not comply with the Chinese law (I don't know why PGI wouldn't publish the odds, heck, maybe they have, I haven't bothered trying to find it). That would mean those potential Chinese players wouldn't be able to reach PGI, not because of PGI blocking them, but their own government.

Get it?

If not, I give up.

if PGi runs through it's databse and identifies that 4% f their palyerbase is chinese they will use that as a base buisnesscase if it is worth to public the % or just ignore it. Inhabitants aren't actually the base for a buisnesscase as inhabitant =/= potential customer.

if you dont udnerstand that, then you miss basic economy knowledge.

View PostDimento Graven, on 08 December 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

What I got from the article is that PGI wouldn't have to change the code, simply publicly publish the odds of winning various prizes.

Or have I misunderstood the point of the article referenced?

No, you got that right, all the companies have to do is show what the odds for each prize in the box is and their quantity.

so basically:
1x Atlas 2%
1xmechbay 4%
1xstaanding beer steiner cockpit item 4%
50MC 10%
20.000Cbills 80%

interestign is also the "forge" probability, as many asian MMO's have stupid chances of items being upgraded and brekaing which you can alter with cash-shop items as well. probably a money grab worse than any gambling boxes ever invented.

Edited by Lily from animove, 08 December 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#19 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 08 December 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

if PGi runs through it's databse and identifies that 4% f their palyerbase is chinese they will use that as a base buisnesscase if it is worth to public the % or just ignore it. Inhabitants aren't actually the base for a buisnesscase as inhabitant =/= potential customer.

if you dont udnerstand that, then you miss basic economy knowledge.
Why wouldn't PGI just publish the odds?

And yeah, as I understand it when you're researching the viability of product (or the marketing of a product) you take a given potential population, in this case all of China, then you figure out your target demographics, age, sex, education level, income level, etc. and come up with what your 'general target consumer' looks like, then from that you find out how much of a given population matches that, and that's your total of potential customers.

Given that China is something close to 1.5 billion in population, the amount of people matching the target demographic could be in the billions.

Anyway, enough of this, I'm not a marketing genius, I only play one on TV, or something like that anyway...

#20 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:57 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 08 December 2016 - 09:50 AM, said:

Why wouldn't PGI just publish the odds?

They don't have to, I can, and we all know the odds already.

You will get something out of the box 100% of the time.

Plus, the "odds" are posted on the list of loot, from Common to Rare. Exactly what people asked for and got.

:)

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users