#63 Shinypants

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

Clean up of the Thug begins...

Posted Image

Updated the thread title too, just to confuse everyone...

Edited by Shinypants, 18 February 2017 - 10:32 PM.

#64 Shinypants

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:17 AM

Thug line updates...

Posted Image

#65 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

View PostShinypants, on 20 February 2017 - 03:17 AM, said:

Thug line updates...

Posted Image

I always thought it was funny that the Warhammer and Thug both use Donal PPC's, yet the Thug's PPCs are so much smaller than the Warhammer's....

#66 Shinypants

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 20 February 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

I always thought it was funny that the Warhammer and Thug both use Donal PPC's, yet the Thug's PPCs are so much smaller than the Warhammer's....

As per the sarna article: For striking power, it carries two Tiegart Particle Projector Cannons in either arm, similar in performance to those found on the Warhammer yet ten percent smaller and more redundant.

#67 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:34 PM

View PostShinypants, on 20 February 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

As per the sarna article: For striking power, it carries two Tiegart Particle Projector Cannons in either arm, similar in performance to those found on the Warhammer yet ten percent smaller and more redundant.

Neat, my write up for it in the TRO's say that it was saved from being scrapped because it was able to use the Donal PPC's from the Warhammer...

#68 Flanking Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:55 PM

View PostShinypants, on 19 December 2016 - 09:39 PM, said:

Hey All,

I dont post very much but I love drawing mechs. Anyway, here is a Battletech inspired mech design. Obviously the low slung arms wouldn't be great for the whole meta thing but its fun to draw anyway. Didnt really base it on anything in particular but it has been mentioned that the cockpit in reminiscent of a Maddog. Anyway, just thought I would share

Enjoy

Shinypants
Posted Image

hi
Great design
I don't know if you name it, have not read all the post, if it has no name, then my suggestion would be, "The Elephant"

#69 Shinypants

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 20 February 2017 - 01:34 PM, said:

Neat, my write up for it in the TRO's say that it was saved from being scrapped because it was able to use the Donal PPC's from the Warhammer...

To be honest I don't know squat when it comes to any of this... I was just drawing my interpretation of the images in the sarna article.

My article response probably came across as being jerky. Sorry about that.

Could the size difference be due to Thug being 10 tons heavier?

#70 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostShinypants, on 20 February 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

To be honest I don't know squat when it comes to any of this... I was just drawing my interpretation of the images in the sarna article.

My article response probably came across as being jerky. Sorry about that.

Could the size difference be due to Thug being 10 tons heavier?

Honestly I didn't take any tone from your response. I try to avoid doing that with forums, it can lead to flared tempers, when no offense was meant.

I'm not sure, but I've always seen the weapon arms on the Warhammer as part and parcel of the Donal PPC's... likely why there was a change between what I've read in my TRO's and what is there now...

#71 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:35 PM

View PostShinypants, on 20 February 2017 - 03:17 AM, said:

Thug line updates...

Posted Image

Posted Image
One of the finest Mechs in CBT history....

outstanding work

#72 Shinypants

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:55 PM

Linework all finished... next up... paint work... zzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted Image

Pants...

#73 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:01 AM

View PostShinypants, on 21 February 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

Linework all finished... next up... paint work... zzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted Image

Pants...

Now that is the best Thug I have ever seen- though I do miss the drum srm launchers. But that is the best take on the oft problematic Head and CT of a THug, literally that I have ever seen.

View PostKarl Streiger, on 20 February 2017 - 11:35 PM, said:

Posted Image
One of the finest Mechs in CBT history....

outstanding work

and my favorite Assault Mech. (my Jihad character drives a custom upgraded with an LFE, SSRM6s and Hvy PPCs)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 22 February 2017 - 06:02 AM.

#74 Shinypants

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:40 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 February 2017 - 06:01 AM, said:

Now that is the best Thug I have ever seen- though I do miss the drum srm launchers. But that is the best take on the oft problematic Head and CT of a THug, literally that I have ever seen.

Cheers man! I felt like I had to make some decisions regarding the look. I looked at the flared shoulders and wanted to tone them down as I didnt want it to look like the Zeus. Next is the fact that the Sarna article versions, have no torso separation. And lastly, it was had a rounded feel on many parts, such as the feet, upper leg and hips etc. So when I started making changes, boxier shapes, the drum launcher didnt make sense to the overall design. I agree that it is iconic but I didnt think it fit.

Aside from that I tried to work in as much of the original influence as possible. The arrows on the lower foot, the crotch vents, the dome thing under the cockpit. Looking back now it feels very different to the original Thug. I hope I didnt take too many liberties!

Pants

#75 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

View PostShinypants, on 22 February 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

Cheers man! I felt like I had to make some decisions regarding the look. I looked at the flared shoulders and wanted to tone them down as I didnt want it to look like the Zeus. Next is the fact that the Sarna article versions, have no torso separation. And lastly, it was had a rounded feel on many parts, such as the feet, upper leg and hips etc. So when I started making changes, boxier shapes, the drum launcher didnt make sense to the overall design. I agree that it is iconic but I didnt think it fit.

Aside from that I tried to work in as much of the original influence as possible. The arrows on the lower foot, the crotch vents, the dome thing under the cockpit. Looking back now it feels very different to the original Thug. I hope I didnt take too many liberties!

Pants

worst case scenario? Let's do up a 3150 tech write up,. make it a Thug IIC. Because it IS a Thug, and in some ways it isn't, but what it is would be 100% awesome and needs to make it into a TRO. I could totally Clan Tech up a beast mode Thug, if ya want. Regardless, it's freaking beautiful.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 22 February 2017 - 09:16 PM.

#76 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:31 AM

View PostShinypants, on 22 February 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

Pants

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the old designs, but a lot of them need a fresh take, from my point of view, you made the Thug look and feel as if it were actually military hardware, so good job!

#77 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 23 February 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the old designs, but a lot of them need a fresh take, from my point of view, you made the Thug look and feel as if it were actually military hardware, so good job!

agreed, I'm pretty sure I will definitely be using this as a basis for future works on the Thug myself, because IMO, he definitely fixed the most pressing and IMO difficult issue, in the cockpit/ct interface. I've tried for years to find a way to do it that still LOOKED like a Thug, and failed, and even ones like TG Xarbala in the fan TRO 3063... they ended up chaing it so drastically, it just wasn't a thug anymore.

I might stick to the cloven hooves, and round launchers on my own drawings, but I just cannot unsee the CT/Head on this one. It's frikking fantastic.

#78 Shinypants

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

Ive been in the process of moving house so I apologise for the lack of response here. I havent had my internet hooked up properly.

I really appreciate the kind words and comments about my Thug redesign. I dont know much about TRO's etc so do whatever you feel is the best course of action!

Ive been able to chip away at this painting for a while now so without further ado...

Posted Image

and just because Im a silly git:

Posted Image

now as to whether or not I have the time to enter the Urbie comp... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pants...

Edited by Shinypants, 02 March 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#79 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:34 PM

View PostShinypants, on 02 March 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Ive been in the process of moving house so I apologise for the lack of response here.

"Lack of response"? Seriously, this brilliant artwork is the best response I could possibly imagine in such a thread, and it is worth every wait. I have never been much of a Thug-fan, but this art sells it even to me. It is unmistakenly a Thug, yet avoids all the things I didn't like about the original artworks.

The only way this could be even better is if it were a ComGuard Mech crushing the Clanners on Tukayyid. But hey, that is just me being a ComStar fan. Posted Image
So thank you for sharing!

Edited by FLG 01, 02 March 2017 - 08:34 PM.

#80 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:36 AM

View PostShinypants, on 02 March 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Ive been in the process of moving house so I apologise for the lack of response here. I havent had my internet hooked up properly.

I really appreciate the kind words and comments about my Thug redesign. I dont know much about TRO's etc so do whatever you feel is the best course of action!

Ive been able to chip away at this painting for a while now so without further ado...

Posted Image

and just because Im a silly git:

Posted Image

now as to whether or not I have the time to enter the Urbie comp... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pants...

That is so badass shiny! Though im quite picky about some design aspects of your thug, the overall spin you put on it works really well man. Your painting skills are about or even on par with alot of digital mech artists like shimmer.

Hope my rendition of the thug turns out well though im mostly just traditional.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users