84 replies to this topic

#21 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:38 PM

View PostZamiake, on 22 December 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

So ive been a long time fan of this game for a while and still this game is having the same fundamental problems and compounded terrible design decisions that solves absolutely nothing!

Sick and tired of it. Im out here in rural parts of Washington state in the usa. We do not have the best internet because Comcast has a monopoly. They over charge for terrible service and they throttle the connection constantly. We literally have the highest package available to non business and im still getting throttled and ever FREAKING time this game has absolutely no safety net to wait for players like me for a few moments and reconnect me in match a few moments later.

Instead when comcast throttles me im COMPLETELY ejected from the game logged out and everything! Do you see how hard it is to play this game with a clan or to even attempt clan and competitive play? Extremely difficult, no make that impossible to do. At one point i could be defending from a CW first wave attack, or half way through im standing there looking like an ******* because i got Dc'ed because this game isnt coded to help along players that get throttled by their internet provider when we have no control over it.

I literally pay 400$ a month to get internet but im the ******* here according to the early disconnect penalty i get when ever i even attempt to play this game anymore. There is nothing i can freaking do about it but here i am holding up clan mates again because your game is designed so bad against people with bad net. Im even connected to my modem with wlan cat6 ethernet cables i cant do any better unless google fiber shows up in my town.

All the while you guys can some how are able to gather enough money to invest and develop a whole other game on the side?! How about this PGI. Fix your net code, remove your stupid penalty trash that solves nothing, and invest in some better servers to host this game! I've played alot of online games in the past 20 decades! Servers of good quality make an extreme difference. And I for one know that the servers you have a trashy and your net code sucks too

Des Moines, wa here. 50mb/s might not be highest but getting booted for a half hour where every site but mwo loads does suck.

I feel your pain but i think you're focusing the wrong company.

#22 Bregor Edain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:43 PM

I pay around 60 euro for a internet, tv and telephone package. Why would anyone pay 400 dollar for just internet and in a first world country at that?!

#23 Ordate

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:56 PM

Google fiber didn't only drop our of the game because of muncipalties waivers etc. The powers that be didn't want to loose any more cities. If you don't believe that drive around any of the cities in the rtp area that was suppose to get Google fiber. You'll see either twc/com cast or at&t dropping fiber like mad.
Also the cities often want better connections and again the powers that be will move to stop them. Read up on Wilson nc doing their own fiber, and the after math in the state government after twc and at&t lobbied against them.

#24 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:02 PM

That feeling when you could get far better internet service in ******* Bulgaria (seriously, no offence to any Bulgarians though, I actually like that country for personal reasons!), than where you live in North America. 50 mb/s... I get a semi-stable 10 for close to a hundred bucks a month and as the only reasonable option (absolutely garbage satellite being the other, or really crummy cell while being in a near cellular dead zone. If I wanted a mini-tower to hop a signal, it'd be few hundred for the tower installation and then a hundred + a month after to use the net that way. Might honestly be an improvement...

US has its debacles with Comcast, AT&T and more, Canada has shitstorms with crown corporation monopolies (which, weirdly, sometimes give you far better service for cheaper, though still generally gouging you compared to global averages in 1st world countries) and absolute shitbirds like Bell, Rogers, and more with under-the-table payouts that take a steaming dump on your service once they get their claws in locally instead, of, you know, making a competitive market with quality options to pick from where they need to -be- competitive to stay in business (instead of, you know, gouging alliances while still offering garbage).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't in a lot of places regarding ISPs, and very, very frequently utterly arbitrarily (because they're allowed to fleece like mad), -especially- with data caps (which boggle my mind given the infrastructure, the fact they're allowed to exist is just ******* scummy). Too many folks in government getting too many "incentives" from the big Telecom. It's no better up North, it's still crap down South and in Canuk land they're itching for it to go the US route. It's like looking over a cliff at the wreckage below while just knowing you're going to end up their soon, because money trumps a fair market (no pun intended).

I can definitely, definitely understand the OPs frustrations, but the vitriol is -entirely- directed at the wrong parties; it has nothing to do with PGI. Sad to say, until they get better options, a properly competitive market instead of what may as well be conglomerates in Telecom masquerading as independent companies, or a company that offers reasonable services locally, it's probably best to not play MWO (and while venting sometimes happens, best to realize PGI can't do ****, especially as a Canadian company).

It'll just be an exercise in frustration for them and their team mates. I'd definitely sniff around if their is any bandwidth theft by neighbors though. Popping on -just- to be frustrated is a sure sign it's time to take a long break. I've had to for similar reasons before, **** net, hardware issues etc. Usually it's beneficial.

#25 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,099 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:34 PM

lol, i live on a small island off the coast of southeast alaska, population around 3k, get good internet.

#26 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:20 AM

Odd question but in the UK we have regulators who "try" to watch over various services. Is there a regulator you can complain to? normally they're quite powerful (when they get moving). For us i'd be Ofcom.

#27 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:33 AM

OP, do you play other online games also? Do they work for you?

if you have disconnect issues, maybe you should consider not playing a competitive, real-time, PVP, ONLINE game?

Or consider moving to somewhere where there's better internet service? Or taking your ISP to court, since they are not providing a stable internet service they are promising?

I actually feel for you.. When MWO first launched, I had a crappy national ISP.. T-com. It was my only choice.. It was seriously overpriced and had random disconnects, stability issues and god-awful customer support.

I took them to court, and had them release my contract without penalties. Then I moved and switched ISP as soon as humanly possible.

It caused me to miss the first two years of MWO.. but now I have ping 60-120.. and my girlfriend teases me because she has an even stronger fiberoptic connection..

#28 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:25 AM

If your net is that bad, and that expensive, ditch it and use mobile internet. I had to do that for a few months a few years ago because my ISP was upgrading exchanges and dumping double or triple customers on one exchange while they did it, resulting in 40% packet loss at peak times. So i bought a 3G dongle (could likely get 4G now for way better speeds) and it at least worked, while not being ideal - and costing a small fraction of the stupid money you claim to be paying.

Its not PGIs fault that your internet connection is terrible. Its the fault of the anti-monopoly laws in your country/state being terrible.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 23 December 2016 - 02:25 AM.

#29 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:15 AM

I live in the northwest and pay comcast $45 a month and get 80 ping.

FYI having a high bandwidth does nothing for your game play. If you have satellite, you should never expect decent online gaming.

I come from old school graphics and low powered comps, and I have found that keeping background apps to a minimum still helps. Also wireless that has multiple devices accessing can cause online games to hate you.

#30 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:32 AM

View PostThe Unstoppable Puggernaut, on 23 December 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

Odd question but in the UK we have regulators who "try" to watch over various services. Is there a regulator you can complain to? normally they're quite powerful (when they get moving). For us i'd be Ofcom.

USA the ISP companies have bought over all the regulators. Surprised the USA allowed it to happen.

See 7:30 mark onwards Posted Image

Countries like Korea, Japan, even Singapore and UK, etc, with their draconian anti-Monopoly laws forced ISPs to provide good Internet or get Fined to Kingdom come.

Edited by Gaden Phoenix, 23 December 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#31 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:56 AM

View PostZamiake, on 22 December 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

So ive been a long time fan of this game for a while and still this game is having the same fundamental problems and compounded terrible design decisions that solves absolutely nothing!

Sick and tired of it. Im out here in rural parts of Washington state in the usa. We do not have the best internet because Comcast has a monopoly. They over charge for terrible service and they throttle the connection constantly. We literally have the highest package available to non business and im still getting throttled and ever FREAKING time this game has absolutely no safety net to wait for players like me for a few moments and reconnect me in match a few moments later.

Instead when comcast throttles me im COMPLETELY ejected from the game logged out and everything! Do you see how hard it is to play this game with a clan or to even attempt clan and competitive play? Extremely difficult, no make that impossible to do. At one point i could be defending from a CW first wave attack, or half way through im standing there looking like an ******* because i got Dc'ed because this game isnt coded to help along players that get throttled by their internet provider when we have no control over it.

I literally pay 400$ a month to get internet but im the ******* here according to the early disconnect penalty i get when ever i even attempt to play this game anymore. There is nothing i can freaking do about it but here i am holding up clan mates again because your game is designed so bad against people with bad net. Im even connected to my modem with wlan cat6 ethernet cables i cant do any better unless google fiber shows up in my town.

All the while you guys can some how are able to gather enough money to invest and develop a whole other game on the side?! How about this PGI. Fix your net code, remove your stupid penalty trash that solves nothing, and invest in some better servers to host this game! I've played alot of online games in the past 20 decades! Servers of good quality make an extreme difference. And I for one know that the servers you have a trashy and your net code sucks too

PGI is NOT the problem, your crappy ISP is.

PGI is not at fault, Comcast is.

Yell at Comcast, not PGI.

I had Comcast at one point as well, I know how bad they are. I had the very same problem with them for years.

Your only solution is to get rid of Comcast, they are sh*t!

Read their support forums, you are not along.

#32 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:43 AM

View PostMole, on 22 December 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

Bahahaha, I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed this. Apparently OP is over 200 years old and had online better Online game service back in 1816.

FTFY LOL! 20 decades... ;)

#33 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostThe Unstoppable Puggernaut, on 23 December 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

Haven't you heard? Overly powerful governmental regulators are strangling the American economy.

View PostGaden Phoenix, on 23 December 2016 - 03:32 AM, said:

USA the ISP companies have bought over all the regulators. Surprised the USA allowed it to happen.

See 7:30 mark onwards Posted Image

Countries like Korea, Japanese, even Singapore and UK, etc, with their draconian anti-Monopoly laws forced ISPs to provide good Internet or get Fined to Kingdom come.

Thanks for the info! Haven't had a good trust-busting suit stateside in far too long....

#34 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:23 AM

Surprised the USA allowed it to happen.

The US government didn't 'allow' it to happen. They did it themselves.

We have a fairly long standing problem of putting corporate veterans in charge of the regulator bodies that should be stopping this kind of crap. And the hilarious part is that as bad as it is, it's about to get way, way worse, and not just for the internet.

#35 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:30 AM

View PostBombast, on 23 December 2016 - 07:23 AM, said:

And the hilarious part is that as bad as it is, it's about to get way, way worse, and not just for the internet.

Ugh. Tell me about it.

#36 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:31 AM

You realise the entire bandwidth MWO uses for anything but updating is usually less than 1mbit/s? Your problem is your isp and while MWO could be better at handling disconnects it isn't their fault or even problem. If you are being embezzled by anyone it is comcast

#37 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:52 AM

View PostBregor Edain, on 22 December 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

I pay around 60 euro for a internet, tv and telephone package. Why would anyone pay 400 dollar for just internet and in a first world country at that?!

It's the capital of capitalism, that's why! Posted Image

#38 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:59 AM

Hell, they allowed (Or is that "made"?) The Donald to win! Posted Image

#39 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:30 AM

View PostBombast, on 23 December 2016 - 07:23 AM, said:

The US government didn't 'allow' it to happen. They did it themselves.

We have a fairly long standing problem of putting corporate veterans in charge of the regulator bodies that should be stopping this kind of crap. And the hilarious part is that as bad as it is, it's about to get way, way worse, and not just for the internet.

Did you see who The Donald is choosing as members of his administration? The next XXX years are going to be really interesting. <maniacal Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image>

#40 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:34 AM

View PostMystere, on 23 December 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

Did you see who The Donald is choosing as members of his administration? The next XXX years are going to be really interesting. <maniacal Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image>

Well, yah, that's the problem. As far as I can tell, he's designing his administration with the specific intent of dismantling or neutering every regulatory body the Federal Government has.

It would be funny if it wasn't horrifying.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users