• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:42 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 24 December 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

Its getting there slowly.

its already there.

PGI has done more work with MWO than Dice has done with Battlefront, in the last year.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 24 December 2016 - 01:48 AM.

#43 Kaspirikay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:52 AM

star citizen is gonna be a massive failure mark these words

#44 Kasumi Sumika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:35 AM

Crytek should making their strong IP games like Crysis or Timesplitters. But they only choose average games like Ryse, and mediocre F2P like Warface and Crytek's MOBA that ppl will forget in shorttime and then jumping into VR craze. That's why this year is really rough for Crytek.

#45 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:05 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 24 December 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

its already there.

PGI has done more work with MWO than Dice has done with Battlefront, in the last year.

Good point. But those shooters are not in the same league as this game.

Edited by Johnny Z, 24 December 2016 - 03:05 AM.

#46 MadcatX

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:00 AM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 23 December 2016 - 06:27 PM, said:

Star Citizen is an interesting game dont get me wrong, but its alot like (No Mans sky),
theirs a lot of hype but its actually not as big or game breaking at all, its pretty but not much else,
(i Play Space Engineers and theirs nothing that i could do in SC than i cant do in SE)

The Wing Commander series mostly, an old arcadish space combat sim back in the day that Chris Roberts made as well as there being a bit more of that genre in general back then, plenty of fans of that genre still kicking around. But one of CR's last space sims games may seem familiar: Freelancer

One of the things that it was panned for a bit was the graphics were a bit dated. Many speculate that he chose CryEngine due to, at the time that he began production, it was graphically impressive. However it was an engine best used for single-player games as we've all learned by now.

CR's a perfectionist, I see this move as him not wanting a repeat of Freelancer in terms of graphics, he wants SC to be cutting edge.

We'll see what comes out of it. Personally I just want Squadron 42.

#47 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:27 AM

Change topic title to "Death Cry of Cry Engine?"

Hmmm...my apologies for the bad joke.

#48 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:07 AM

View PostxEdSteelex, on 24 December 2016 - 01:29 AM, said:

but it would be much easier to port MWO to Lumberyard.

What makes you think so?

Last time Russ said something about engine change he said it would be the same kind of work
Updating cryengine
Or porting to UE

Lumberyard seems to me like a rebranded cryengine
Sooo
Seeing no difference

However in an article posted for MW5 the dev's said working in UE was so much easier

I also left the link to the wiki page since people think cryengine is going down, but lumberyard is not exactly world's apart from cryengine

Edit:

All I really find is that Amazon's cryengine version is free to use, but ties directly to Amazon servers and online services

And that's about it
Well that and it comes with third party network code, from a company Amazon also bought and twitch integration

I'd also think that unity engine would be better for dev's that don't want to handle the coding side so much
And just want to create

As unity just gained Vulcan support, and is stating a performance increase of 20% (or 30%, not so sure right now)
Without a single developer having to lift a finger to support the API and gaining performance

Edited by Peter2k, 24 December 2016 - 05:16 AM.

#49 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:19 AM

You guys are aware that the average triple A title spends 5-7 years in the development cycle, yes? Even if it comes out in 2020 SC won't break that timeline much.

Ithe was actually said in a release a while back that the studio would be further along right now if they had built their engine from scratch. The amount of original parts from crying inexpensive that will exist in that game on release will be sparse.

#50 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:19 AM

View PostxEdSteelex, on 23 December 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

I just got the latest email update for Star Citizen and they said that they are ditching Cry Engine and switching to Amazon's Lumberyard engine. I don't know if this would be an option for MWO or not.

>Star Citizen makes their very own, OC donut steel version of Cryengine 3 thinking they can do better than Crytek.
>4 years into development, they realize making engines is no child's play and they return to Crytek's stuff in the from of Lumberjack which is a fork of CryEngine with minimal differences and tied to Amazon software.

Crytek is famously horrible at handling their money but this news only means that people who thought they could do better, 4 years down the line, admitted defeat, scrapped years of work and merged back to Crytek's original engine, lessening the impact somewhat through a deal with Amazon (PR for server code).

#51 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:34 AM

Jesus H. Christ some of you people are salty as f***.

Let me pose a challenge to some of you. I dare you to name one, just ONE MMO type game that allows you, the player to directly affect anything, and I mean ANYTHING in the game outside of the scripted and linear storyline the game gives you.

Because THAT is the big difference between Star Citizen and pretty much every other MMO. Beyond the Single Player/Co-Op story mode, Star Citizen's persistent universe will not have a scripted, linear story, so, oh, hey, guess what?

That means literally ANYTHING can happen. You can't get that kind of excitement and mystery out of playing, oh, Star Wars The Old Republic for instance, not with a scripted, linear story.

You can't do anything beyond the set classes and stories in TOR.

You can do literally anything in SC.

And anyone that accuses me of drinking the kool-aid or any other non-sense like that, I suggest you stick that kind of smart-a** remark where the sun don't shine.

SC, Chris Roberts and CGI have no competition, as some people have pointed out, because literally NO ONE ELSE is attempting something like this, the exception being maybe this Dual Universe game I've started hearing about, but SC is still years ahead of that game. Hell the only thing I can really see that Dual Universe adds over Space Engineers or Star Citizen is an actual player driven economy, while Star Citizen will not be player driven, but it can be player affected.

So, for f***s sake people, when you keep calling SC vaporware, keep in mind CGI can literally take all the time they want to finish the game because no one is trying, no one has even attempted a game of this scale until now, so they are not in danger of their competition getting a game out before them.

Take games like, oh, the Forza Motorsport series vs the Gran Turismo series. These games are in direct competition with each other so they have to rush to try and launch before the other.

So because CGI doesn't have any competition they can take as much time as it needs to make sure one feature or another actually flipping works the way it's supposed to. Unlike, oh, let's say MWO where some features have been complete and absolute FLOPS.

#52 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:39 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 24 December 2016 - 05:34 AM, said:

Let me pose a challenge to some of you. I dare you to name one, just ONE MMO type game that allows you, the player to directly affect anything, and I mean ANYTHING in the game outside of the scripted and linear storyline the game gives you.

EVE Online.

What do I win?

#53 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:40 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 24 December 2016 - 03:05 AM, said:

Good point. But those shooters are not in the same league as this game.

has nothing to do with being in the same league. One thing people need to realize is that their are only 2 things you can compare between developers. 1 is experience of the devs, 2 is the size of the company.

Has nothing to do with the genre of a game. Whether its a shooter or RPG, it doesn't matter. That is why when some people make certain statements, I look at them funny.

#54 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:45 AM

View PostBombast, on 24 December 2016 - 05:39 AM, said:

EVE Online.

What do I win?

Okay I admit I forgot about EVE, but that's probably due to never playing it so I just didn't think about it to begin with.

#55 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:05 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 24 December 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

its already there.

Not saying it's not a bad game (otherwise, I wouldn't have bought 200 dollars worth of mechpacks)

But to say that it's a top 10 or a top 10 anticipated game? Come on, now... let's be real...

#56 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:19 AM

View PostrazenWing, on 24 December 2016 - 06:05 AM, said:

Not saying it's not a bad game (otherwise, I wouldn't have bought 200 dollars worth of mechpacks) But to say that it's a top 10 or a top 10 anticipated game? Come on, now... let's be real...

hey if they continue like they did for the last few years with a montly patch and a focus, Next year they can really Iron the game and get some crucial detail into it. Maybe then it will deserve some game of the year reward.

yea, lets be real. Its not in the top 10 that's for sure, but in terms of development, they beat out some companies that have well been on the Map. in terms of adding in content and features. CA(creative assembly gets a 6), and MWO gets a 8. Only becuase they happen to delay a bit, but thats' better than the current model of gaming companies that release games not even completed, charge for DLC and just leave the game sitting as if more can't be developed for it. I can name 10 High publish games that do that crap, and I don't even have to mention mortal kombat X

That is probably more credit to the minimum viable product model(only idiots who don't understand game development don't know what that means), where you can just continue to build on where the game needs improvement.

I don't think you can name a top 10 game that does that, definitely not with the current industry standard, of make a game and some DLC and leave it in the dust. CA completely ****** its customers and yea I am pissed that they released Attila which was running on the same engine did no go back and redo Rome II, and upgrade it. No Excuse.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 24 December 2016 - 06:22 AM.

#57 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

Wow... impressive amount of salt towards SC. I thought this crowd would have more tech freaks and SciFi/space fans.

And even more impressive amounts of uninformed drivel. Didn't really see that coming.

Just a few bullet points:

- Crytek closing studios is actually a good thing for SC, they will hire even more programmers with godlike Cryengine skills
- the switch to Lumberyard is already pretty much done
- Star Citizen went public for crowdfunding in October 2012, so the 4,5 years average development time for AAA games will only be reached Spring 2017. Very little work was done prior to the announcement, just some models, done by a mexican contractor.
- nobody has even tried making a game of this complexity, so 5,5 or 6 years of development time would be perfectly acceptable
- CryEngine may be difficult to handle (nobody posting here knows for sure), but the results the code wizards at CIG achieve speak for themselves (I wish the same could be said about the codeslingers at PGI *sigh*)

#58 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:26 AM

View PostAcehilator, on 24 December 2016 - 07:20 AM, said:

- nobody has even tried making a game of this complexity, so 5,5 or 6 years of development time would be perfectly acceptable

Actually, someone did. His name was Chris Roberts, and the game was Freelancer.

#59 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:33 AM

View PostBombast, on 24 December 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

Actually, someone did. His name was Chris Roberts, and the game was Freelancer.

And if you'd followed SC development for any length of time, you might have seen a few of the interviews with Mr. Roberts where he specifically stated the games he was making around that time, the Wing Commander series, Freelancer, etc, were held back by the technology of the time.

Now that technology has advanced by leaps and bounds since the Wing Commander/Freelancer days, he's able to take the ideas he had in games like Wing Commander and Freelancer back then, and greatly expand on them using much more powerful technology.

#60 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:49 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 24 December 2016 - 07:33 AM, said:

And if you'd followed SC development for any length of time, you might have seen a few of the interviews with Mr. Roberts where he specifically stated the games he was making around that time, the Wing Commander series, Freelancer, etc, were held back by the technology of the time.

Now that technology has advanced by leaps and bounds since the Wing Commander/Freelancer days, he's able to take the ideas he had in games like Wing Commander and Freelancer back then, and greatly expand on them using much more powerful technology.

Oh, well, if Chris Roberts said it was ok, then surely it will be.

Listen, Star Citizen may turn out to be fine. I hope it does - I've got a copy of Squadron 42 I'm waiting on. But all this ******** about how everything's on track and looking fine is delusional. Star Citizen continues to trip over ever single development hurdle and blunder's it way through every typical 'warning sign' for a badly overrated release imaginable. It's being run by a man who has a history of over promising and left the industry for a decade. The studio has, either accidentally or on purpose, maneuvered it's way into a position where it's more profitable not to release then to do so.

But sure, ambition equals success. Worked out gloriously for those guys who bought Spore 2.0, right?

Edited by Bombast, 24 December 2016 - 07:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users