Lrms Are So Op! They Destroy My Mech, My Ability To Take Cover, And Basic Military Logic Of Not Fighting Out In The Open Where Everyone Has Los!

297 replies to this topic

#121 Calcite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:28 PM

My head is now turning around ......aws lrm build............,

Ed ..s

Edited by Dave warrior2, 26 December 2016 - 09:31 PM.

#122 Evil Goof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:30 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 26 December 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

Geeee, I wonder why that is? Oh, right, insane quirks that prop it up to be a less terrible weapon system.

Arguing with Florida Man would be foolish. He brings lrms cause he is clueless. We picked him up accidentily with a group of us from BCMC an MJ12 and he reinforced and was perma dead very quickly. Thinks he knows it all.

#123 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 26 December 2016 - 09:27 PM, said:

It was only an example.

Was responding to ZUUL.

#124 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

the only thing sad about lrms is assaults running primarily lrms

the other day i saw a mauler with nothing but lrms and tag. no other weapons, no back-up weapons.

like why Posted Image

#125 Calcite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:27 PM

But wolf dont know .......that the mauler is a lrm bouat too8

#126 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:42 PM

Geeee, I wonder why that is? Oh, right, insane quirks that prop it up to be a less terrible weapon system.

You don't need insane quirks. My favored LRM boat is an ALRM50 BattleMaster 1S, and it averages around 500 damage a match, getting at least 3 kmdds (if not multiple kills) in the process. She's an absolute beast in the solo queue.

#127 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:07 PM

View PostEscef, on 26 December 2016 - 10:42 PM, said:

You don't need insane quirks. My favored LRM boat is an ALRM50 BattleMaster 1S, and it averages around 500 damage a match, getting at least 3 kmdds (if not multiple kills) in the process. She's an absolute beast in the solo queue.

Damage done with LRMs is highly inflated due to the LRMs smacking everywhere on a mech. If you're running a LRM assault, I expect at least 600-800 damage in not-**** matches. Same reason that a PPC sniper light doing 300-400 damage is actually really good as long as your aim isn't terrible.

#128 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 26 December 2016 - 11:07 PM, said:

Damage done with LRMs is highly inflated due to the LRMs smacking everywhere on a mech. If you're running a LRM assault, I expect at least 600-800 damage in not-**** matches. Same reason that a PPC sniper light doing 300-400 damage is actually really good as long as your aim isn't terrible.

600-800 is a really high average. When I say 500 average, I mean I literally went to the stats page and divided total damage by number of matches. And I'm aware of how LRMS tend to spread damage, it's the same reason I'm never really impressed by high damage numbers posted by streak boats.

Coincidentally, I've also broken 1k damage a couple times with a 2xERPPC/2 Gauss King Crab. The reason why my damage total was so high was because while I could reliably hit, I was not reliably putting that damage where it would do the most good.

#129 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:27 PM

The only reason I see LRM mechs get that high damage is if they rain on AFKs, NARCed assaults, or idiots that have no idea how to take covered approaches and fight out in the open all the time. There are a lot of these playing lately. There is a very good reason no one smart brings LURMs to FW, and even more reason no one smart brings LURMs to any competitive match.

You cannot say a weapon is good when it only works in a gimmicky role to begin with, and is directly countered by basic knowledge of avoiding locks and using terrain, and is so inefficient at killing that you will burn through 2 tons of ammo per mech just to get most of them opened up somewhere.

#130 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:36 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 26 December 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

The only reason I see LRM mechs get that high damage is...

Well, tier 2 in the solo queue and I'm getting solid performance. So much so, in fact, that when the solo queue gets weird on me I pull out the ALRM50 BLR-1S to punish said queue for being stupid.

#131 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:20 AM

View PostEscef, on 26 December 2016 - 11:36 PM, said:

Well, tier 2 in the solo queue and I'm getting solid performance. So much so, in fact, that when the solo queue gets weird on me I pull out the ALRM50 BLR-1S to punish said queue for being stupid.

Funny you should say that because when I am up very late or when there is prime time for the younger players to be on and there are tons of lurmers, I jump into an Oxide or since the mg buff, a Viper and go lurm boat hunting.

#132 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:24 AM

View PostMacClearly, on 27 December 2016 - 12:20 AM, said:

Funny you should say that because when I am up very late or when there is prime time for the younger players to be on and there are tons of lurmers, I jump into an Oxide or since the mg buff, a Viper and go lurm boat hunting.

Ok... ?

#133 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:47 AM

quirks arent that insane anymore... no longer need a macro to use it to its full capabilities anymore. but name something that isnt ridiculous OP clan or quirked to the gills that is a great-very good mech?

#134 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:51 AM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 27 December 2016 - 12:47 AM, said:

quirks arent that insane anymore... no longer need a macro to use it to its full capabilities anymore. but name something that isnt ridiculous OP clan or quirked to the gills that is a great-very good mech?

Rifleman with 2 large lasers and 6 mediums, STD 260 and crammed with heatsinks!
PGI was afraid it'd be use for laser vomit so it has no crazy laser quirks other than 10% energy range. It's really great.
Spoiler

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 27 December 2016 - 12:58 AM.

#135 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:13 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 27 December 2016 - 12:51 AM, said:

Rifleman with 2 large lasers and 6 mediums, STD 260 and crammed with heatsinks!
PGI was afraid it'd be use for laser vomit so it has no crazy laser quirks other than 10% energy range. It's really great.
Spoiler

so the TW has a third more damage and better range... how does that quailfy the rifleman to be considered in the same category? seeing how TW would most definitely be considered one of the OP clan mechs... you defeated your own point. if it had the quirks then it would have been at least a very good mech, but since it doesnt then it makes my point that anything without insane quirks isnt the best.

#136 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:16 AM

View PostEvil Goof, on 26 December 2016 - 09:30 PM, said:

Arguing with Florida Man would be foolish.
He brings lrms cause he is clueless.
We picked him up accidentily,
with a group of us from BCMC,
and he reinforced and was perma dead very quickly.

"Thinks he knows it all."

By Evil Goof-2016

Not sure if that was on purpose but I immediately read that post as a poem.

#137 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:28 AM

View PostEvil Goof, on 26 December 2016 - 09:30 PM, said:

Arguing with Florida Man would be foolish. He brings lrms cause he is clueless. We picked him up accidentily with a group of us from BCMC an MJ12 and he reinforced and was perma dead very quickly. Thinks he knows it all.

considering you guys got rollstomped and the game was over almost immediately... i checked out, hard enough to get PUGs to play smart but when a group is playing badly they are impossible. FYI... splitting the team down both channels from Beta gate (and use Alpha gate to start with) that results in the whole first wave getting wiped 12-3 is a loss, everything past that point is just getting farmed.

Edited by I_AM_ZUUL, 27 December 2016 - 01:29 AM.

#138 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:37 AM

Are LRM's op?

No, No I don't think so. They are very situational, and can absolute devistate a mech that decides to just wonder around in the open, but the same can be said for any weapons system frankly.

But there ARE some things that I would change about LRM's.. the main one being "indirect fire."

If an ally is targeting an enemy mech, it SHOULD NOT allow for LRM locks.

now, if that ally is using TAG/NARC, THEN indirect fire should be allowed, and only then... this also allows for the addition of C3 computers to allow for indirect targeting in this instance.

Also, I feel they need better terrain tracking on the whole, I've had good locks, and wasted a good volley on terrain that my missiles should have sailed over.

Regardless, they need a bit of work, one way or another, but no indirect fire would be a HUGE fix to the game frankly.

#139 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:17 AM

Im seeing many LRM Assault Boats thats spread Heavy damage over the Reds , and stand as last Survivor against 10-12 Reds ...not one Kill ...a Assault with Direct Firing Weapons is most a Better Mate for the Team...fast Kill with little Damage is the best

#140 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:23 AM

View PostTristan Winter, on 24 December 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

Meh, whatever.

At Tier 1, my C-bill printing machine for my IS account is still my AWS-8R with 4xLRM15+Artemis. You guys can talk about how useless LRMs are until cows come home to a frozen hell riding flying pigs. Doesn't change the fact that I'm wrecking face with my LRM boat. Not only damage done, not only KDR, but also WLR.

Yeah, that Blackjack made poor tactical decision. But you know we're all playing in the same little pond, I encounter all of you pretty regularly, and I'm still making bank with my LRM boat when I need some C-bills or if there's some kind of grind-based weekend challenge I need to complete.

I'm not saying that LRMs are good against elite players or coordinated groups. But any pug at any tier is liable to get smashed by LRMs. I see it all the time. If they weren't so effective, pugs wouldn't constantly bring them to every match. It's not like there's 4-6 players in every match failing miserably at LRMs and scratching their head about why they're never winning the game.

It's the AWS-8R, what do you expect? I would not even touch IS LRMs at present, if the mech does not have quirks for it. And this is coming from a dedicated lurmer. Clanners already power creeped things so much, that IS LRMs are pretty bad without quirks or absurdly large number of launchers for LRM5 spam.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 December 2016 - 03:28 AM.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users