What Heroes To Buy On Sale?

30 replies to this topic

#1 MrHail

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:57 AM

I know there is a matter of preference here for sure but what heroes do you think are worth our $$$ and why?

I personally will buy the Oxide and the Black Widow. Do you guys think they are worth?

Really curious what ppl will buy. A friend told me to forget heroes and just buy mech bays but I'm curious what you guys think.

MrHail

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,099 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:05 AM

oxide was fun for awhile, but i believe it has received major nerfs since i bought mine. i have not ran the bw, but i like its hardpoints. its on my maybe list for purchases. the most fun hero i own is my ctf-im, its ability to run tripple ballistics. i run 3 is ac10s, and its currently the only mech that can do that. number 2 would be my pirates bane. that said there are very few heros out there that do anything different from other options in game.

#3 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:23 AM

I can second the Ilya. The black widow has a really good reputation, but I don't own one. The Warhammer chassis in general is excellent though. If you like tiny lights the tdk and pirate's bane are both fun. I haven't seen an oxide in a while so must be they have been sufficiently nerfed to make them not great anymore.

#4 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:37 AM

I have all the IS heroes except for the newer chassis and the Ember.

Most fun by weight:Pirate's Bane, Arrow, Bounty Hunter 2, Misery.

Best (keep in mind I am a teribad so take my opinon with a large grain of salt): Oxide, Sparky, Black Widow, Misery.

Assaults are the hardest for me, so fun and good are probably not terms I have any business using. From what I understand from others however, Sleipnir is both really good and really fun. Misery works for me better than the other Assault heroes so that's the best review I can give any of them.

#5 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:32 AM

Hellslinger, Sleipnir, Black Widow, Bounty Hunter, Gray Death, Ember are all some good ones if built right.

#6 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:50 AM

View PostReza Malin, on 26 December 2016 - 08:32 AM, said:

Ember

Posted Image

#7 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:54 AM

Its still good!

#8 banana peel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:01 AM

I can vouch for IV-4. IMO it's now one of the best dueling mechs, providing a unique "hunting" experience - it can take on pretty much any mech, except stronger brawling assaults. But do keep in mind that most of its power comes from absolutely enormous quirks (mine is called QuirkDread), and that will sure be gone after skill tree revamp.

#9 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:01 AM

Ilya is a better ballistic mech than the BlackWidow. It has better engine quirks at the expense of less structure quirks. and has 25% ballistic range, 25% velocity, 10% cooldown, and 15% energy cooldown quirks whereas the widow only gets a 20% ballistic velocity and 10% energy range, 5% heat generation reduction and 30% PPC velocity. That it has 4 torso ballistic mounts doesn't actually make it more useful for autocannons than the Ilya with its 1 torso and 1 each arm unless 4 AC/2s or AC/5s is your whole game plan. Sale just started now as I type this. Time to get myself that zeus I wanted.

#10 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

The Arrow's a one-trick pony, but as of the MG buffs, it's a pretty fun trick.

#11 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:19 AM

Yen-Lo-Wang Posted Image

#12 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

View Postjss78, on 26 December 2016 - 10:12 AM, said:

The Arrow's a one-trick pony, but as of the MG buffs, it's a pretty fun trick.

It's really no better now than it was before the buffs, since they reduced its MG RoF quirk.

At least, I haven't noticed a difference.

My Ember, Shadow Cat, and Locust, tho'...

#13 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,015 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

the MC I win from in game (and the little bit of left over MC from other buys) I use to buy hero Mechs

the last one was the FS9 Ember (only thing I liked that I could afford)

most hero Mechs are just so so but if I could I would get them all

the KDK SB was great until it got nerfed (got it for free by watching the MWO regional qualifiers)

any ways the hero mechs are so so best to get them on sale

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 26 December 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

Ilya is a better ballistic mech than the BlackWidow. It has better engine quirks at the expense of less structure quirks. and has 25% ballistic range, 25% velocity, 10% cooldown, and 15% energy cooldown quirks whereas the widow only gets a 20% ballistic velocity and 10% energy range, 5% heat generation reduction and 30% PPC velocity. That it has 4 torso ballistic mounts doesn't actually make it more useful for autocannons than the Ilya with its 1 torso and 1 each arm unless 4 AC/2s or AC/5s is your whole game plan. Sale just started now as I type this. Time to get myself that zeus I wanted.

Love my Illya's but I find that I waste far mor shots to the terrain with them than with the Black Widow (in short: high hard points matter an awful lot of the time). I have more fun in the Illya's but I think the 2 ac5, 2 uac5 or even the 4 ac5, 2ml BW build is a bit more effective.

#15 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:33 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 December 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

It's really no better now than it was before the buffs, since they reduced its MG RoF quirk.

At least, I haven't noticed a difference.

My Ember, Shadow Cat, and Locust, tho'...

Yeah, this is true, I think it actually lost exactly as much DPS through ROF quirks as gained from MG damage buff.

But to me the cone-of-fire reduction was actually more important than the damage buff. Damage buff was, what, +10-15%? In terms of damage put into that specific hurting component, the COF reduction often means a +50% buff or more.

#16 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

View Postjss78, on 26 December 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

Yeah, this is true, I think it actually lost exactly as much DPS through ROF quirks as gained from MG damage buff.

But to me the cone-of-fire reduction was actually more important than the damage buff. Damage buff was, what, +10-15%? In terms of damage put into that specific hurting component, the COF reduction often means a +50% buff or more.

I suppose; I guess me getting to within 90 meters of the target using the MGs kind of obfuscates the effect the CoF change has had.

#17 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:32 AM

Arrow = Must. I got Ace of spades with this mech and then the dire wolf. No others I think so that speaks for itself. Blackjacks are just so great.

Hellslinger = Great mech (keep cool and pick hot maps :)

Firebrand = Strange mech, I can fit it with a fun build (4 ppc's) and blast away. Or I can do the superhot killer, dual ac10 and 6 med lasers. The latter gets great results but it's tooooo hot.

Medusa = Such a rush and can really bring the hurt.

--

These are the ones I have, that I could also recommend.

Bounty hunter, it kills but I just can't make it a true killer.

Spirit bear, the torso nerfs made me stop playing this mech.

#18 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,612 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

Legend Killer (if it keeps it's quirks), IV-4, Pirates Bane, Black Widow, and I like the Sleipner though it's not that popular. Black Jack if you are sneaky/pick your battles.

Edited by Lightfoot, 26 December 2016 - 08:16 PM.

#19 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:17 PM

Get the Spirit Bear. At least it will not be ****** by quirk changes.

#20 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:19 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 December 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

Get the Spirit Bear. At least it will not be ****** by quirk changes.

And then it gets nerfed down to 20 degree torso twist.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users