How Do You Name Your Mechs?

37 replies to this topic

#1 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:01 AM

Back on my first encounter with the Ilya Muromets a few bajillion years ago in the OG River City Night back in the UI 1.0 days, I noticed that it didn't follow the standard convention of battlemech identification when you hold down the Q button. While the others would pop up as "SDR-5K" or "AS7-D", the Ilya simply popped up as "Ilya Muromets". Since you couldn't rename your Mechs back then and I just went with their original variant, I thought how you name your Mechs would also appear on other player's screen. This was around the time when I was HUGE on playing lights (SDR-5K(C)). So when I bought my very own, I named it as "BIG BAD DAWG", with the thought of confusing the enemy of piloting a much larger Mech. When I found that ONLY Hero Mechs have custom names, I started naming my Mechs with more meaning I suppose.

Anyhow, how do you name your Mechs?

Here's mine;
Spoiler

#2 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:03 AM

I usually put a name before wolf. My Timberwolf prime is Called Omega Wolf.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:51 AM

Borderlands 2, baby!

Posted Image

#4 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:08 AM

I don't name mine that often...

My Zeus command 'mech is "Kommando Eins" as a nod to the Steiner origins.

My Grasshopper 5P is "Rainbow Warrior" because it shoots all the colours:

Spoiler

#5 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:23 AM

Sometimes I'll name based off the chassis desination code as my PHX-1K became KHAAAAAAAN, my HBK-4G is Garand, and SHD-2D2 is EssTwoDeeTwo. Sometimes a play on its name if its a Hero as La Malinche became La Molasses, Heavy Metal became HerMajesty and Boar's Head became Brunhilda. Sometimes its camo as Hellslinger became DevilDinosaur and two of my spiders which got the phracken camo became JessicaDrew (red/white/yellow) or PeterPorker (blue/black/red). Sometimes I follow a theme for the chassis as one of my warhawks is DarkHawk and another is WarMachine, I have a white tiger and black panther panthers, and a Cheetara Arctic Cheetah. One of my warhammers became DrHamstervll and I renamed my spider hero is Charlotte. Yen Lo Wang is DivineWind, one of my CN9-A's is CrazyEights because its top speed is 88.8. All my Griffins are named after characters from the griffin family on Family Guy. My Nova's are Richard, Alexander and Saal. Three of my Phoenix Hawks are Hikaru, Max and Miriya (and yes I made the paint match their valkyries in the series as close as possible). Oh and some of my kodiaks got named after celebrity bears (bart, booboo, yogi). My Spirit Bear got named Boeing because on its first match I scored the same damage as one of Boeing's famous 7 series airliners).

Edited by Dee Eight, 26 December 2016 - 06:27 AM.

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:14 AM

I don't name most of my mechs, so its gotta be something special or practical for me to bother.

Mauler MX90: "Perfect", I used all the hard points and all the crit spaces, its still effective (as far as anything can be effective with my playing) and it looks good.

IV-4 with 2 LBX10s and a std engine: "The Hobo".

Two Illyas named "Vitric" (3Uac 5s and 3ML and xl 285) and "Forge" (3 LBX 10s and xl 285). Before the existence of save drop decks. Named to make it easier to pop em in to the drop deck when the namesake map came up. I left the names, cuz they feel appropriate to the builds.

Loyalty Wolverine: "Hate". I had PGI remove it. Thus, for awhile I had no hate. Then I bought a Locust 3V and the "Hate" has come back.

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:23 AM

I name them after sweets and confections, most of them anyways.

Atlas S - "Poundcake" (brawler)
Kodiak 3 - "Kisses"
King Crab 0000 - "Mousse"
King Crab 000 - "Milky Way"
King Crab 000B - "Pudding"
Executioner C - "Candace"
Shadow Hawk H2 - "Taffy"
Hunchback IIC A - "Custard"
Hunchback IIC B - "Donut"
Hunchback IIC C - "Cupcake"
Shadow Cat - "Cutiepie"
Hunchback 4SP - "Ice Cream"
Hunchback 4G - "Lollie" (lolliepop)
Hunchback GI - "Cream Puff"
Blackjack 2 - "Licorice"
Centurion A - "Brownies"
Warhammer 6R - "Peppermint"
Rifleman 5D - "Muffin"
Urbanmech R63 - "Neopolitan"
Urbanmech R63 - "Kit-Kat"
Urbanmech R60L - "Cadbury"
Urbanmech R60 - "Hershey"
Timberwolf D - "Sandwich"
Timberwolf S - "Cheesecake"

(Yes i have 4 Urbies.)

The others were:

Direwolf w - "Moon Moon"
Timberwolf A - "Vengeance"
Kitfox S - "Foxxy"

#8 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:28 AM

I dont name my mechs any more. I kinda lost interest in that. However my first few mechs have a bunch of names that fit a theme for a particular chassis, and are a reference to some thing.

Light
Spoiler

Mediums
Spoiler

Heavy
Spoiler

Edited by Dirus Nigh, 26 December 2016 - 07:32 AM.

#9 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:32 AM

...Nouns? I guess?

#10 stoicfaux

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:32 AM

Err... you can name your mechs?

#11 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:13 AM

Little bit of an odd post but hell I'll bite.

I name mine based on how they perform for me specifically.

http://i.imgur.com/2r6oRPx.png

Some of the more notable ones however are as follows.

Shadow Cat Prime "Conductor" due to the time i ran it with NARC 2 LPL's and ECM and made callouts of targets for around a solid week with two dropmates and attempting to organize the tier 4-5 pugs. Good stuff.

Panther 10K® "Painkiller" The first special mech I recieved as a gift from a friend. What i used to get into the game and loved it. Still like the panther but its been ravaged by the rescale.

Panther 10P "Wabbajack" I like fast, this mech is that, sadly it is really little else, excellent butt poker though. Used mostly when the squads around. Named for the random spell result staff from Elder Scrolls legend. You never know what's going to happen when you whip out the 10P... I felt Wabbajack fit it well.

Night Gyr Prime "Night Blear" Don't mech on insomnia kids.

Marauder IIC "Devils Reach" Named for a Jolly Rogers song about a ship that defeats 5 others and then basically crashes ashore. Had an absolutely insane game in an assault mech with a similar result 4 kills though not 5 and felt like it deserved the name. Laser vomit or no.

Marauder 5D "Beam Glass" 2 LPLs 2MPLs 1 Mediums 2 A-SRM4's on top of an XL350, Named obviously because if one shoulder goes so do you and its overstocking of weapons. Named after facing down a Kodiac (no idea which model) and surviving despite having two extremely red side torso's after leaving the fight.

Marauder 3R "Metarauder" named for the Metamechs build it runs. Nuff said.

Marauder BH "One Way Walk" Felt i should explain this one as it sounds a bit emo. Probably a pretty standard build, 7 mediums and an AC20. CQC fighter with a standard engine. Just known for taking way WAY more of a beating than it should.

#12 Pyed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:14 AM

Archer characters, at least until I got too many mechs and it got cumbersome and I gave up.

My Banshee was "Pam". 12 laser Nova was "Lana" because, you know, Truckasaurus hands. Wubverine was Krieger. LCT-1E was Conway Stern because backstabs. Pirate's Bane was "Seamus".

etc.

#13 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:08 AM

Something obvious that tells me at a glance what I built the 'Mech for. Usually something chassis-themed, punny, and lame. Very occasionally I'll give a 'Mech a proper nickname, but it doesn't happen often.

Examples:

RFL-3N "Classic RoFL" ("Classic" is my tag for super-stock configs)
RFL-3N "RoFLBOOM" (One guess what it's armed with)
HBK-4G "Classic Boom"
UM-R63 "Can-Do" (Urbies are cans. Originality!)
UM-R63 "Can Opener"
UM-R60 "Classic Canning"
UM-R60L "BoomCan"
ADR-D "Boomslang" (I name my adders after snakes)
RVN-4X "BoomBird"
RVN-3L "BuddyBird"
COM-2D "BittyBuddy"
CDA-3M "BuddyBug" (All the "Buddies" have ECM)
KFX-Prime "Lurmbrella"
AS7-S "Pain"
ZEU-6S "Lefty" (One of my very few fully asymmetrical builds)
WLF-2 "Bloodhound"
WLF-1 "Greyhound"

There are a few still lacking names, mostly because their configs haven't settled in permanently yet. Anything I don't plan on changing again gets named.

#14 Kasumi Sumika

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

I mostly named after my own fun references. Sometimes I named after the main weapons they use.

SHD-5M "Dougram"
Spoiler

MDD-Prime "Greget"
Spoiler

CN9-AH "Red Comet"

Spoiler

BL-6-KNT "Gypsy Danger"

Spoiler

AS7-D-DC "Gundam"

Spoiler

BLR-1S "Lurmmaster"

Spoiler

WHM-6R "Pulverizer"

Spoiler

Kodiak "Bearguy 9000"

Spoiler

RVN-3L "Black Bird"

Spoiler

RVN-2X "Hustler One"

Spoiler

RVN-4X "Ariake"
Spoiler

PXH-1B "Hikaru"
Spoiler

#15 Cabusha3

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

Pretty boring here. If I have duplicates of the same variant, then they're renamed for their builds. EG brawler, laser vomit, etc. Sell Me for the variants I hate.

Edited by Cabusha3, 26 December 2016 - 11:45 AM.

#16 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

I am quite boring too...

I have "Candy Cane" (Marauder IIC, red and white stripes) and a few others with names (my arctic cheetahs, named Snail and Slug)

But most mechs that are named are named after their armament...
2LPL5ML for example...

Unnamd variants are normally the ones that aren't fully equipped, stock or in the worst case not really enjoyable for me... oh yeah and I have my TimberWolf with only 2 LPL that I got halfway through equipping... then had to do something else... he is called "NOT READY"... which works... sometimes...
It is quite fun to drop with that mech... not enough weapons, tons of free space... and the question over my head "Why did I take it again???"

#17 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:03 PM

I always forget to name mine. So woops.

#18 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

My c-bill grinding Awesome Hero "Pretty Baby" is the only mech I gave a name too.

I was going to name it Lurm Queen.

Ended up with Siege Breakr instead.

It lives up to its name sometimes. Posted Image

Shingeki no kyoujin & starcraft are great.

I'm currently reading Tower of God which is a similar genre to SnK.

Its kind of a bummer how a lot of these series start out strong and fade over time.

#19 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

One of my ex-gf's username online when we met was Dragonness_Girl... so I named one of my dragons "Chanza" in her honour... its a mean (redacted it myself)

#20 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:01 PM

I name my mechs by the simple expedient of leaving them with their default designations.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users