More Incentives For Dedicated Support Builds?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Jasta85

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:22 PM

So, I've been away from MWO for a few months but plan to jump back in once the new skill trees have been added.

However, one thing that bugged me is that the game never seems to properly reward support roles in the game. Sure you do get some minor rewards for scouting/tagging the enemy but you will never get the exp or credits of mechs that just do damage.

For example, I've built scout mechs before that were used purely for just that, scouting. ECM arctic cheetah with tag, narc, drone and air strike, hiding behind the enemy team and keeping them pretty much all visible to my team throughout the entire game, letting them out maneuver the enemy and get constant LRM locks. I never fire a single shot but greatly contribute to the team victory.

I've also built a Nova support platform with 3 AMS and perks and hung around the center of my team taking down as many LRMs as possible while also hunting down enemy lights that tried to do hit and runs on us. That's even less rewarding than the scout as AMS gives absolutely no rewards.

Basically you get rewarded if you boat a ton of lasers or LRMs and focus purely on doing as much damage as possible, but not if you try and actually support your team. It seems counter-intuitive in a game that's all about team vs team matches.

Has there been any indication that in the future supporting roles may be rewarded a bit more?

#2 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:23 PM

We've been waiting for AMS rewards from shooting down missiles aimed at allies for a long time. Absolute silence on it ever getting added though.

#3 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,015 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:26 PM

yeah your wasting your time telling us

just jump back in and have some fun before the new skill tree comes out

is going to suck after it drops

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

Best thing you can do now is shoot robots

Please be sure to shoot robots

#5 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

Hey come on now, at least we get XP for a well timed and placed UAV. That's something at least.

#6 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:45 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 26 December 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

Hey come on now, at least we get XP for a well timed and placed UAV. That's something at least.

Meanwhile, I don't bring UAVs, and I find them offensive due to the fact that they don't use up any mech slots/weight. RIP my chances of getting rewards for supporting.

#7 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

Us Rocketeers need a lurm support bonus.
Nothing like a solid wall of lurms to stop a rush dead in it's tracks.
Or make brawlers pee their pantaloons.Posted Image
Nuff said.

#8 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 26 December 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

Or make brawlers pee their pantaloons.Posted Image
Nuff said.

You already get stupid amounts of cash from your inflated damage numbers, the people giving you the ability to fire those LRMs deserve to finally get their paycheck.

#9 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:18 PM

Hey, welcome to the 'Thinking Mans Shooter', where scouting and spotting and being sneaky does not fall under the 'thinking' part.

#10 NighthawK1337

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere, Terra, Asia, Philippines

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:17 AM

My Kitfox and Nova approves

#11 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:37 AM

rewards for shooting down lurms with ams
rewards for overheating damage suffered by mechs you recently heated up with flamers. Kill to you, not suicide to the enemy if he died from overheating after you heated him up with flamers.

Nuff said.

#12 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:44 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 26 December 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

Best thing you can do now is shoot robots

Please be sure to shoot robots

We don't have robots in game.
We do have Mechs though

#13 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:56 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 26 December 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

Or make brawlers pee their pantaloons.
Nuff said.

Or suppressing that KDK-3 and MAD-IIC.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 December 2016 - 12:56 AM.

#14 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:13 AM

It gets a bit weird to reward things that don't contribite a lot to the win though, truth is that bringing a pure support build right now is mostly a handicap to your team and the "greatly contributing to the win" part is mostly in your mind.

So if they are going to buff those rewards they better make the gameplay impact higher too.

#15 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:21 AM

View PostJasta85, on 26 December 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

So, I've been away from MWO for a few months but plan to jump back in once the new skill trees have been added.

However, one thing that bugged me is that the game never seems to properly reward support roles in the game. Sure you do get some minor rewards for scouting/tagging the enemy but you will never get the exp or credits of mechs that just do damage.

For example, I've built scout mechs before that were used purely for just that, scouting. ECM arctic cheetah with tag, narc, drone and air strike, hiding behind the enemy team and keeping them pretty much all visible to my team throughout the entire game, letting them out maneuver the enemy and get constant LRM locks. I never fire a single shot but greatly contribute to the team victory.

I've also built a Nova support platform with 3 AMS and perks and hung around the center of my team taking down as many LRMs as possible while also hunting down enemy lights that tried to do hit and runs on us. That's even less rewarding than the scout as AMS gives absolutely no rewards.

Basically you get rewarded if you boat a ton of lasers or LRMs and focus purely on doing as much damage as possible, but not if you try and actually support your team. It seems counter-intuitive in a game that's all about team vs team matches.

Has there been any indication that in the future supporting roles may be rewarded a bit more?

dude, i have been whining about how the broken the reward system is in the game forever.... its why the cancer of the game exists, cause they are rewarded for being cancer. Assaults who actually play as assaults and die pushing a point that results in team victory get hosed for doing so... but the useless Pokebears hiding even further back then the worst terribad LRMers is highly rewarded individually regardless if the team wins or loses. Reward Light Mechs for being LIGHTS... reward Assault mechs for ASSAULTING, seems like a basic premise to me but like everything PGI cant find their as$es with both hands, a map, a flashlight, a youtube instructional video, and a personal trainer.

Edited by I_AM_ZUUL, 27 December 2016 - 01:23 AM.

#16 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:30 AM

You say they dont contribute a lot to the win...

Let's consider scouting. Right now, when lights (or fast mechs, not just lights) don't scout, everyone kind of wanders around aimlessly. No one knows where to go, because no one knows where TO go - that is, where the enemies are. They straggle out into a long line and generally get flanked, or picked off a few at a time.

Scouting prevents that. I'd call preventing a loss a pretty huge contribution.

Couple rounds ago, I ran around on an ach test build with a NARC. I happened to have a LOT of lrm missile fiends on my team, who happened to also be pretty spot on shooting for the beaconed mech.

My own damage was paltry. But my team ended up rolling something like 12k 1d (pretty sure it was me that died too). Giving your team a natural focus for massed missile fire, particularly if done intelligently (eg: only marking one mech at a time, marking mechs according to their threat level) allows your team to accrue a large mech advantage safely - such that even if you die and fail to give that advantage throughout the match (and really, when there are few mechs left on either or both sides, that advantage matters less and less) your team is positioned for an easy win. I'd also call that a huge contribution. You know precisely what happens when one side carries a ton of lrms but there are no locks... or there are a BUNCH of locks. Damage gets spread out inefficiently (if dealt at all) and gets rolled when the brawling starts.

A lot of contribution is huge but invisible... until it doesn't happen.

#17 Black Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:16 AM

I wish scouting was more rewarding, but the problem is deeper than that: suppose PGI makes an effort to create info warfare and now you can really pick a role and shine in it, you will now need a match maker that organize 2 teams in accordance to all of the selected roles, on top of psr etc.
Alternatively, PGI can try to make so that any combination of roles and in any quantity would be balanced which, even for the top game companies, would be impossible...

Edited by Black Fish, 27 December 2016 - 03:17 AM.

#18 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:35 AM

the only valid roles in MWO's role warfare are DPS or PPFLD.

#19 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 27 December 2016 - 04:35 AM, said:

the only valid roles in MWO's role warfare are DPS or PPFLD.

grossest thinking examplified... they have a game for that now, its called Titanfall 2.

#20 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:56 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 26 December 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

We've been waiting for AMS rewards from shooting down missiles aimed at allies for a long time. Absolute silence on it ever getting added though.

I've masteted a couple of dual AMS mechs because they announced that. Still waiting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users