Gauss Rifle Charging, Is It Necessary?

128 replies to this topic

#121 Ken Burkhart

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:09 PM

Didn't save a pic, but I did over 500 damage earlier in my CNT-D with a Goose Waffle and 2MedWubs. The thing is that it isn't a super high amount of damage, rather the fact that it was done on Crimson Straight in a match that ended up in a brawl with no chance for ranged combat under the platform.

The reason I made it work is the whole "snap" shot thing someone mentioned above. Even in a brawl with targets running all over around each other, there is nothing that says I can't be twisted, begin the charge, and right as the charge is completed twist in line, release/fire, and twist back to protect my shield arm. Sure, some of that can attributed to the cooldown quirk, but it still has the charge on it.

I honestly don't like the charge mechanic...but I have learned to live with it. Indeed, I see it as a way to balance the weapon, making it a bit more skill based. Not that I call myself skilled, but in general out of the people I've talked to it is the more skilled ones that don't complain about it, while the lesser skilled pilots tend to not even use the Gauss. It's all about the skill!

#122 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 December 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

Gauss can be snap-fired, as long as you know where the target is before you expose. That's part of the skill.

Sorta, you're still going to have more misses and missed shots. Like I said, I can trade with gauss builds now with ERLLs at range and certainly couldn't before, even against excellent players.

Sure you can still poke effectively with gauss - just not nearly as effectively as you could with no charge-up. WIthout the chargeup you could take more shots more effectively. Even with staggering your peeking to focus someone, aiming the box before you come out of cover, etc. With charge-up you'll get more shots spoiled than without.

I can poke more often with ERLLs and get partial hits. The 5 ERLL GHR can trade pretty effectively with a KDK 3, especially for 30 tons less. PPFLD is still superior but with structure, range and lower burn time quirks the 5P isn't a bad comparison at all. You really only need to spoil 1 exchange from the KDK3 to win that trade war.

There's a reason you still see 5LL builds in comp. If gauss had no charge-up you almost certainly wouldn't. It'd just be a variety of gauss builds.

#123 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

The reason you see 5xERLL builds in comp is because Gauss projectiles are too slow to deal with jiggling Spiders at range. That's basically it. There was one match in MWOWC where EmP's Spiders had free reign because 228th (I think it was 228th) didn't bring lasers to manage them at a distance.

#124 Destoroyah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:10 PM

I can see why they added the charge mechanic, but would like to see a option by either a module or skill(via reworked Skill Tree) that allows you to remove the charge but at a hefty cooldown penalty like increasing it to 8 secs or so.

Edited by Destoroyah, 27 December 2016 - 10:11 PM.

#125 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:57 PM

View PostKen Burkhart, on 27 December 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

Didn't save a pic, but I did over 500 damage earlier in my CNT-D with a Goose Waffle and 2MedWubs. The thing is that it isn't a super high amount of damage, rather the fact that it was done on Crimson Straight in a match that ended up in a brawl with no chance for ranged combat under the platform.

The reason I made it work is the whole "snap" shot thing someone mentioned above. Even in a brawl with targets running all over around each other, there is nothing that says I can't be twisted, begin the charge, and right as the charge is completed twist in line, release/fire, and twist back to protect my shield arm. Sure, some of that can attributed to the cooldown quirk, but it still has the charge on it.
;

Indeed. While it was I who said "can't be snap-shot", I meant that in the simplest terms.

For a raw rookie, the Gauss rifle is a ranged weapon only. But the charge mechanic, in making it harder to use in a brawl, serves to make it a more rewarding weapon in those circumstances.

Without charge, Gauss is the premiere brawling weapon due to ppfld and no heat. Now, to take advantage of that in a brawl requires very real skill, timing, and situational awareness.

That's a great thing, in my book.

#126 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:49 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 27 December 2016 - 10:57 PM, said:

Indeed. While it was I who said "can't be snap-shot", I meant that in the simplest terms.

For a raw rookie, the Gauss rifle is a ranged weapon only. But the charge mechanic, in making it harder to use in a brawl, serves to make it a more rewarding weapon in those circumstances.

Without charge, Gauss is the premiere brawling weapon due to ppfld and no heat. Now, to take advantage of that in a brawl requires very real skill, timing, and situational awareness.

That's a great thing, in my book.

It might just be me, but I always found it easier to use them at mid-close range WITH the charge mechanic. I can do great things sniping with PPCs (basically the one thing I can claim I'm good and not feel like I'm lying), but I can't do a thing with Gauss at long range. But mid-close is the time where Gauss shines for me. It was the only way I could get my Mad Dog C lore build to work, and I'm realizing it's the same thing with my Shadow Cat Prime. I dunno, just putting it out there in case I'm not some weird *** anomaly.

(Also, it wouldn't be a premier brawling weapon if it got a 10 second cooldown. >.> Just sayin')

#127 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:16 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 27 December 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

It might just be me, but I always found it easier to use them at mid-close range WITH the charge mechanic. I can do great things sniping with PPCs (basically the one thing I can claim I'm good and not feel like I'm lying), but I can't do a thing with Gauss at long range. But mid-close is the time where Gauss shines for me. It was the only way I could get my Mad Dog C lore build to work, and I'm realizing it's the same thing with my Shadow Cat Prime. I dunno, just putting it out there in case I'm not some weird *** anomaly.

(Also, it wouldn't be a premier brawling weapon if it got a 10 second cooldown. >.> Just sayin')

No. But it would also be a worse long range poking weapon putting half the damage downrange over time, too. That's a hefty nerf at range where (for normal folks) the charge doesn't matter.

#128 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:22 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 27 December 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

I just don't feel ppcs or gauss rifles should be particularly penalized at short range at all, the gauss charge time is IMO a okay mechanic that just needs to let you hold the charge a little bit longer than currently before you have to recharge it.

Also I kind of miss the sliding damage penalty ppcs used to have, where they did less damage the closer an enemy was under 90 meters instead of magically doing 0 once they cross the threshold from 91 to 90. [similar to how clan lrms work atm]

At some point PGI changed this for no real discernible reason.

Well, they are a dedicated sniper weapon... they are ment to be used at long range. That's their intended reason for being.

So when they were outpreforming the AC20 in brawling situations...something had to be done

#129 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:29 AM

View PostMystere, on 27 December 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

Joysticks are fine when using PPFLD weapons. The same holds for missiles. The problem is with firing lasers and Clan autocannons.
But then again I'm also not talking about el cheapo gear here. Posted Image

Also, who said you need to aim with the stick? I have heard of players in MWO using the stick for movement (i.e. throttle and turning).

I'd just like to point out how absolutely insane it is I'd need to use a mouse while using a joystick.

no other mechwarrior game has required this, none. Hell I can use a joystick in Mechwarrior: Living Legends more accurately than I can in MWO!

It's absolutely insane how screwed joystick players are. The ENTIRE reason for using a HOTAS in a mechwarrior game, is so that all your commands are at hand instantly, and you have throttle, and aiming and all right there. Having to use a stick+mouse completely breaks immersion and is totally pointless to the entire point of having a HOTAS to begin with.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users