8 replies to this topic

#1 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:54 PM

Been eying getting a surface pro with the i7 and the 16 gigs of ram as a laptop replacement since my last one kicked the bucket. Anyone have one and can use it for MWO?

#2 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:42 AM

Im not sure it will be up to it, i got a i7 pro3 and while mwo runs the fan is flat out and the tablet throttles back severely. Not the exact answer ya looking for but i doubt the pro4 will be a significant improvement over the pro3 in this area.

#3 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

You're getting the one that has the Iris 540 correct?
https://en.wikipedia...i/Surface_Pro_4

yeah the surface sucks for gaming. Its good for browsing the web while on the *******.

#4 Oberost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:25 AM

With the money that a Surface 4 costs you can afford a gaming laptop, don't buy the Surface to play this game.

#5 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:37 AM

View PostOberost, on 27 December 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

With the money that a Surface 4 costs you can afford a gaming laptop, don't buy the Surface to play this game.

A very nice gaming laptop!

#6 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

I'm sure the integrated graphic chip will be sufficient to run MWO on low.

Sufficient means getting around 20-30fps in a match.

#7 Zeriniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

I have the next model down (i7/8GB RAM), and it was sufficient-ish for MWO while I was away from home. With a fan pointed at the back next to the USB port, a better Intel Extreme Profile (undervolted) it works at the lowest levels of resolution, and some graphics as medium, if I recall correctly.

FPS fluctuated between 20s-40s, and you're not going to play to your full capabilities. It is doable, however.

Honestly, my SP4 is for artwork, and I just used it for MWO because I was away from home for a long period of time. If you don't need it for any specific purposes outside of gaming, then I would invest the money in a much better laptop. There are ones in the same price range that come with desktop graphics cards, which would help out a lot more with gaming.

Edited by Zeriniel, 27 December 2016 - 02:39 PM.

#8 MaidenTy1

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

Yes, but dont! :)

I have that exact model and it is playable but only as an occasional thing for when you don't have your "proper" system:

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5002152

If you haven't bought the surface yet I would strongly recommend you don't- nothing to do with MWO, it just has issues. Even after (grudging) warranty replacements and reinstalling windows I still have problems I can't get rid of, such as standby not working. About half the time it loses power and therefore anything unsaved; you "resume from standby" and everything is gone. I won't bore you with the laundry list of other problems, suffice to say there are plenty.

Specs, weight, size etc are good but it's too flaky and unreliable to be useful, if I could go back I'd definitely buy something else.

#9 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:29 PM

Wow, my i7pro3 has run flawlessly for me i have no troubles at all.
I don't use it for any demanding kinds of games though i do have steam installed, mostly i use its touchscreen for map making along with my garmin rhino gps or just surfing the web n streaming movies. Its way cheaper to run than my 60" monitor and 980ti.
Cooling is its biggest problem and here in west ozz during summer i have managed to get thermal shutdowns with it lol.

Edited by sneeking, 27 December 2016 - 10:30 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users