19 replies to this topic

#1 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

What the heck happened? It's only getting worse and I'm getting real sick of people running out in front of me and facehugging the target I'm aiming at so I can't get a shot off, or some potato standing directly behind me when I'm hill or corner peeking, then proceeding to lay into my back as I back up and they see the red dorito pop up from my target lock. Gee, thanks for rear coring me down to an orange CT because you can't pay attention or give people space!

I've been holding my shots and resisting screaming over comms like a raving idiot about it but it's getting old, really fast. :/

#2 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 27 December 2016 - 02:33 PM, said:

What the heck happened? It's only getting worse and I'm getting real sick of people running out in front of me and facehugging the target I'm aiming at so I can't get a shot off, or some potato standing directly behind me when I'm hill or corner peeking, then proceeding to lay into my back as I back up and they see the red dorito pop up from my target lock. Gee, thanks for rear coring me down to an orange CT because you can't pay attention or give people space!

I've been holding my shots and resisting screaming over comms like a raving idiot about it but it's getting old, really fast. :/

Most likely people just want to get their stats up and don't care about you or your position snowflake ;)

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

I haven't noticed any real difference over the years. Maybe there's a slight difference for you because you've gone up to Tier 1, where players could possibly be more competitive and, as a result, more likely to block your path in an attempt to get into a good position, or shoot through your mech because they blame you for getting in their way.

It's a bit of a stretch, especially since Matchmaker is operating with valves blown wide open these days, but it would certainly be interesting to compare how much FF is being done by Tier 1 players versus lower tier players.

#4 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

I've been on sporadically in the past few months, on / off /w life and what not but I've noticed this too... but I don't see the malicious team damage or stuff like that, just groups all bunching up. I'm guilty of it from time to time when I'm behind another assault mech and wanting to move forward but he's backing up, and I'm kinda fat... so... yeah, sorry.

But I've also been yo-yoing between the pug (which until yesterday i assumed stood for Public Unorganized Group, sue me) and solo que. I've noticed something rather interesting therein. Maybe its just the sample size or sample bias, and has nothing to do with this at all but I can't help but take notice.

When I'm in the group que there may be more chatty people, some of which are actually helpful and enjoyable to play the game with. But there's a lot more salt, and i mean a LOT more.

Every now and then I'll be in the solo que and hear someone complain mildly about something that's honestly just a mistake. Someone gets lasers dragged across part of their mech on accident, often times a sorry / apology comes pretty quick. Every now and then you get a snarky remark from someone when this happens all be it infrequently but I pay attention to what people say / do and I cannot put it out of my head that the ******* solo que. THE SOLO QUE, has less outward phonetic violence to their teammates than the group que does.

Maybe its just the sample bias, no idea, but it seems so strange and I can't help but feel like this is related as I've noticed a good chunk of the people who bunch up really tightly, are found in the pug que. The solo que guys might all be to some degree disorganized but they don't block as often and i've not seen nearly the salt from them. Maybe its less competitive people, who knows.

But I do know that if you put a commander in the game, one player who attempts to direct the team, that BOTH que's listen.

TL;DR, open your mouth positively as often as possible (I'm not accusing / pointing fingers or anything but just make an effort) I've seen "armchair mechcommander" guys just calmly direct the enemy team (both pug / group) into a steaming pile on the floor while we only manage to lose 3-5 mechs. Granted... Tier 4 player for now.

#5 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:08 PM

I let one Scorch have it in the ***, he didn't survive it. I tried to clear my line if fire repeatedly, but even though he had clear shots he kept moving directly in front of me, by in front I mean blocking my whole screen to where I could smell his farts...looked intentional to me so I gave up on getting clear.

Edited by Bandilly, 27 December 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#6 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:11 PM

I wouldn't say it's gotten any worse lately, not that I have noticed but I have taken to speaking up more. If someone is consistently blocking shots, especially when I'm in my Dire Wolf or if they're in way of assaults I will hit that caps lock key and tell them, by name, they're blocking firepower much, much higher than their own.

And sometimes, you know... accidents happen.

#7 Tombs Clawtooth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

Last night I had a player back a good 500m back into me while I was in position and giving support fire.

He turned around and unloaded his weapons into me as if I'd been hugging his behind and was trying to grief him. He was running a build I could only assume was intentionally set up to troll with. Later in the match, he kept running into the back of team mates and repeatedly shooting them to try to force his way around them.

He showed up with the same behavior in multiple matches... I'm noticing this more and more as I've gone up through the tiers.

#8 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:38 PM

I blame the players who always chant "group up" over and over...brainwashing folks who shouldn't be taught such tactics...as its clear they really ought to learn to think for themselves and learn their own tactics. All that happens among the group up brigade lately is coward camping pokers. Players need to learn for themselves that there comes a time to shift tactics and strategy on a map. Unfortunately it often requires thousands of games for folks here to learn that apparently.

Edited by Dee Eight, 27 December 2016 - 04:39 PM.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,096 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:50 PM

this is why my recipe for success is "avoid team at all costs". inexplicably is a good way to get killed but at least i dont have to deal with team damage and bad piloting.

#10 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 27 December 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

this is why my recipe for success is "avoid team at all costs". inexplicably is a good way to get killed but at least i dont have to deal with team damage and bad piloting.

Yep...I'd rather flank a warhawk solo that stand near folks who want to hide behind me.

#11 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:02 PM

Positioning among friendlies was a lot easier with the old minimap.. then, Russler had to queer it up and zoom it out and never gave us the option to opt out of the new crap-map.

#12 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

Gawd...just had a total potato festival on polar skirmish. The enemy team kept walking back and forth past me, getting LBX fire to their sides...first one to charge me was an LRM griffin... and I'm standing on my own on a flank with a black widow. Meanwhile my team is two grids away cowered together behind a ridge, expecting others to provide locks for their LRMs, and complaining about the enemy LRM boat, which was an mauler with quad 15s and an ERPPC and TAG (sound familiar) ? Which was only about 300 meters away from them and could have been charged together and rendered impotent.

#13 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 27 December 2016 - 05:26 PM, said:

...the enemy LRM boat, which was an mauler with quad 15s and an ERPPC and TAG (sound familiar) ?

What's the point here? The Mauler should have been carrying SRMs?

#14 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:11 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 27 December 2016 - 06:04 PM, said:

What's the point here? The Mauler should have been carrying SRMs?

No, ACs.

#15 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:18 PM

Every match is an FFA. There are 12 reds that you have to shoot directly and 11 blues you can't shoot directly but kill by pinning in place for the reds.

The real problem is that TKs from blocking and tailgating don't show correctly in my stats.

I've functionally had 14 kill matches that only show as like 7 or 8. This is a problem.

#16 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

PGI did improve collision, which means less warping but more blocking.

#17 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 December 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

PGI did improve collision, which means less warping but more blocking.

I've already almost gotten TK'd because a Shadow Cat decided he really needed to get past my Adder, but couldn't be bothered to JJ over me, and instead was trying to run straight into me. So when he finally did TP through me, he turned and alpha'd my ***. (And before someone claims I was at fault and should have backed up, there was a goddamn enemy Warhawk ready to blast my *** if I backed up 10 meters.)

#18 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 December 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

No, ACs.

That AND someone put that exact build forward in this posting... https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5546952

#19 Dendrobium

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:39 PM

I've been noticing a lot more tailgating and blocking. I'm not sure what the deal is, and I'm hoping it is relating to the holiday events that PGI had set out. People being eager to get those stats to meet the event goals. We'll have to see what happens after the events are over.

Team damage I'm not sure on. I can't tell that it seems a bit more prevalent. I've had team members outright rake me over twice now though. Not just a quick blip and "oh ****" move the fire away thing either. I played a round of Polar and we had an Atlas in the back. The match had just started, so we were all fresh. He called for help and I went back to help. On the way I came across a friendly Dire that had left the Atlas behind. He started firing on me. I faced him and paused for a split second to hopefully let him realize his mistake. Nope, he stripped my armor on the arm and a ST, and turned the rest of my mech (EBJ-B with max armor) yellow. My fresh mech. I don't normally run with my headset on or even hooked up so I couldn't tell him to stop over comms.. I stopped and typed in stop ******* shooting me. He kept going for a few more seconds before reading it. By this time the Atlas was dead. The light then came up and finished me off while the Dire tried to hit him.

I had another match, don't remember the map this time, where a team mate did the same thing. I rounded a corner to try and get a different angle on the enemy that we had corralled into a certain spot. There was the friendly and 1 or two other team mates. As soon as I rounded the corner this guy, another assault, laid into me. He stripped an arm and yellowed a ST on the same side.

In both instances they said that an enemy box overlaid my own. So they thought I was an enemy.

#20 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:45 PM

I believe it's more like MM is broken... because actual positioning is highly valued.

However, I do believe in some players are trying to get greedy, forgetting that focus fire is more effective than doing it alone. More importantly, it's the same thing that gets them killed more often than not (not allowing teammates to partake in focus fire).

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users