23 replies to this topic

#21 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostTesunie, on 03 January 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

That's just the Crab (the easy one I can point out). It's a great mech for more experienced players, but for a new player it's just about a walking death trap.

I am curious as to how Tina is intending to set up the submission and voting process for the next round of champion mech builds...

*edit opps clan account!

yea, i hear ya.. though i run STD engines in my crabs after listening some advice on the new player forums Posted Image I also been trying STD engines in my wolfhounds.

But the one thing i do like about XL engines in trial(c) mechs is for the value. If you are going to pay MC for a champion, getting a nice XL is sorta what i want. Now i don't buy to many champions, but when i do, often that XL is one of the reasons. Another thing is the Mech packages. If you are getting a champion+hero+mech, i want those packs to be a very good deal for a more veteran or new player alike.

All that said, We need a trial mech system that i think should run along side the (c)hampion system. I don't know what that system should be, but there should be something IMO.

increasing new player experience, should be a top priority, not making it easier for some vet to go smurf T5's ya know?

View PostPyed, on 04 January 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

What's wrong with recommending the TBR for newbies? It is very forgiving and supports an extremely broad variety of builds to experiment with. Unless you think newbies have to have ecm always or something, I struggle to think of a reason it would be a bad choice.

TBR is a fine mech for a new player

Edited by CJ Daxion, 04 January 2017 - 12:50 PM.

#22 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

What's wrong with recommending the TBR for newbies? It is very forgiving and supports an extremely broad variety of builds to experiment with. Unless you think newbies have to have ecm always or something, I struggle to think of a reason it would be a bad choice.

It isn't a bad choice, but being a Timberwolf also presents a new player with another problem... The Timberwolf tends to get focused down because many people know it's dangerous. This can become a bit of a problem.

Other than that, the Timberwolf is as fine a starter for the Clans as many other mechs can be.

#23 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

What's wrong with recommending the TBR for newbies? It is very forgiving...

Sorry this took me so long to respond to, I only get internet access about twice a week, and have been having trouble logging in...

What is wrong with the TBR? Nothing.
It is a meta-mech for a reason, and that will not be changing any time soon.

What is wrong with recommending it to newbies?
Plenty.

The second sentence is exactly what is wrong with it.

It is TOO forgiving.
They learn little to nothing from it ...that is not taught in the (enforced!) tutorial.

It's default layouts all all pretty symetrical, so they learn little to nothing about torso twisting.
It's hitboxes are all (fairly) well balanced and it's weaponry is all clan, so they learn little to nothing about torso twisting or guarding damaged sections - they can do well face-tanking.

It's armor (and hitboxes) are good, so they learn little to nothing about positioning.

It's speed is good so they learn little to nothing about positioning

It's alpha strike and weaponry are good, so they learn little to nothing about working with their team

You do not teach someone to use a rifle by handing them a RYNO
(For those who do not know, it auto-aims a large number of homing rockets)

You do not teach someone to play a game like this by handing them a TBR.

You do not have to spend much time in PUGlandia (where most of the players are!) to realize that far to many people have played this game for a long time... while having learned nothing about how to play WELL

Edited by Wence the Wanderer, 13 January 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#24 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:08 AM

View PostWence the Wanderer, on 31 December 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

Here is hoping it works out!

Unfortunately though, the meta-humpers very... intensively believe that only the absolute meta is worth anything.

I have seen more people than I care to think of recommend the Timberwolf (to say nothing of the current flavor-of-the-month such as the Kodiak) to new people simply because it is so powerful.

Edit:
Which is not to say they are not good mechs, but that there are far better mechs for teaching people how the game works (to say nothing of the meta-humping loadouts that get recommended)

they should make the mech you use at the academy a permanent addition to the trial mechs so you can rerun the academy for higher scores. You need a timber wolf variant a 4S(?) I have no idea where to get one.. you can use a different mech but it would count in rewards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users