So This Is How Its Supposed To Be Played.

29 replies to this topic

#1 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

I have been running MWO on my notebook 15 for well over a year now and i had got used to my below average graphics card. Even playing on all low settings still yasnt enough. I was used to dropped frame rate so low it was hard. But i got used to playing like that, Im not just talking about a little lag here and there. im talking about major gameplay lag andr dropped frames. I knew if it was river city or frozen city that it would be unplayable. Although other maps like HPG and Polar Highlands ran way way smoother.
ANYWAYS THE WHOLE POINT IS
that i got another laptop.

This one is a little smaller which is wierd to pilot on. But it has one of those Intel Core processors inside. I have never ever played MWO this smooth. This amazing. I have never played it like this. and i know that sounds bad but im so happy.

Since i was so used to playing with crap i was instantly 10 times better, This is great. No more unplayable games. No more people saying "YOU SUCK" because they dont know wat i was working with.

No more times missing a target because my laptop is having a stroke

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

Sadly there is no cure for my high latency except immigrating to NA or EU. Not Australia though.

#3 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:50 PM

I upgraded my PC with a GTX 1060 from a R9 280x... not much difference. Still get below 30 fps on some of the newer maps... It's crazy how poor this game performs :(

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:09 PM

View PostYellonet, on 30 December 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

I upgraded my PC with a GTX 1060 from a R9 280x... not much difference. Still get below 30 fps on some of the newer maps... It's crazy how poor this game performs Posted Image

This game is CPU-limited, not GPU-limited. What's your CPU?

#5 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

Congrats. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with my rig getting annoyed because MW:O hates me and can drop to 15 FPS on River City for lolreasons.

GTX 760 graphics card.

AMD 8300 processor.

8 gigs of RAM.

Still runs half the maps like ****. 10/10

#6 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 30 December 2016 - 02:09 PM, said:

FSB makes a big difference on this game too. I noticed a noticeable improvement when I upgraded my motherboard.

Edited by Tyler Valentine, 30 December 2016 - 03:03 PM.

#7 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

Lets face it. Running this game with an older computer, or a cheap one can cause you headaches. Not to mention getting slapped around the battlefield like a school girl.

#8 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:22 PM

View PostYellonet, on 30 December 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

I upgraded my PC with a GTX 1060 from a R9 280x... not much difference. Still get below 30 fps on some of the newer maps... It's crazy how poor this game performs Posted Image

Yeah that is strange. I too upgraded to a GTX1060, and it's generally above 60 fps even with lots of moving parts on the map.

I was just running around the proving grounds on Sulphur and Terra, and I was getting 150 fps.

View PostNathaniel Johns, on 30 December 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

I have been running MWO on my notebook 15 for well over a year now and i had got used to my below average graphics card. Even playing on all low settings still yasnt enough. I was used to dropped frame rate so low it was hard. But i got used to playing like that, Im not just talking about a little lag here and there. im talking about major gameplay lag andr dropped frames. I knew if it was river city or frozen city that it would be unplayable. Although other maps like HPG and Polar Highlands ran way way smoother.

Honestly, you have my respect for still sticking with the game as long as you did. I used to run an old AMD laptop (A6 processor, and Radeon 7650 or some such), and at 20 fps with dips down to 10 or less, the game was practically unplayable. The only way I could have cured my Mechwarrior binge was really just playing the older games... and other games. I practically stopped playing until I can run it 30fps +.

And I'm normally pretty tolerable to low FPS (used to play MW2: Mercenaries on a Pentium 133 mhz, and boy were the framerates poor at 640x480 res!)

Edited by Sylonce, 30 December 2016 - 03:26 PM.

#9 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:28 PM

This is true. Upgrading my graphics card did nothing when I was running a 2.9 Ghz CPU. Upgraded to a CPU running at 4 Ghz and my fps went from ~30 to well over 100 at the same settings.

#10 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

View PostKalimaster, on 30 December 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

Lets face it. Running this game with an older computer, or a cheap one can cause you headaches. Not to mention getting slapped around the battlefield like a school girl.

6 year old processor AMD 1090T Black Edition
4 year old video card Radeon 7970

Runs pretty smooth even with a 3 monitor display. I'm baffled by it myself, particularly when people with brand new systems are having issues. The again those were fairly high end components for their time.

#11 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostBandilly, on 30 December 2016 - 03:56 PM, said:

6 year old processor AMD 1090T Black Edition
4 year old video card Radeon 7970

Runs pretty smooth even with a 3 monitor display. I'm baffled by it myself, particularly when people with brand new systems are having issues. The again those were fairly high end components for their time.

Well, that CPU is still faster than the one I replaced and it was a couple years younger than yours.

#12 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

This game will not run on an AMD CPU. Just not fast enough per core.

#13 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

2600K@4.4 GHz

#14 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

View PostYellonet, on 30 December 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

2600K@4.4 GHz

Yeah i still get slow downs on my 4770k 4.4ghz. Upgrading my amd 7870 gpu to a rx470 helped but i still get them and have most options turned down. Also my cpu cores never show much usage, always only around 40% but my gpu will be at 100%. Not sure if thats normal.

#15 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:54 AM

i7 920 quad core. its like 5 years old or something, and cooked during its first 3 years as render farm CPU. And then there was that time a year or two ago when I thought it was playing up so checked the temps and found it had been throttling on 90c. So I just remounted it and its still going strong.

I don't think it can die TBH.

nvidia cards on the other hand. cooked and ditched a few in that time period, I don't even OC them, they just manufacture gfx boards with flaws and DGAF.

Edited by jjm1, 31 December 2016 - 02:55 AM.

#16 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:19 AM

Logical Increments is the place to go to get the right idea of what to build for the best gaming PC:

http://www.logicalin...om/games/crysis

#17 Nyte Wolf

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:26 AM

I played mwo on my surface pro 4 over the thanksgiving day holiday with family.
it ran perfectly, other than trying to target any mech on a 12" screen. hardest thing i found was trying to hit locusts or spiders :).

my surface specs: I7 16 gb ram and stock integrated intel 540 graphics.

#18 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:29 AM

I had an 8 year old system but overclocked to the limit.
First intel Quad core extreme 2.6 -> 3.4ghz (yes that made a huge difference in game)
AMD 6950 overclocked from 800 -> 950mhz (that also made a huge difference in game).

I have completed the first half of my gaming upgrade, I chose to upgrade the CPU platform (most costliest). This instantly gave me at least 60fps in MWOnline before the map revamps took place. That's using a skylike i7k and 32gigs of ram.

Next upgrade will come to nvidia 1080 or AMD's equivalent e.g. rx490/500 depending on price/perf.

Absolute last will be the super widescreen monitor I've always dreamed of :)

#19 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:40 AM

View PostBilbo, on 30 December 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

This is true. Upgrading my graphics card did nothing when I was running a 2.9 Ghz CPU. Upgraded to a CPU running at 4 Ghz and my fps went from ~30 to well over 100 at the same settings.

I recently upgraded my comp, first got dual SSD drives in Raid 0 and saw improvements in frame rate, roughly 5-10 more a second. Then a new graphics card and I jumped 10-15 frames per second. Then I upgraded my CPU a week later... jumped another 20 frames a second. I had read and heard this game was very CPU intensive, but seeing it firsthand actually really surprised me.

#20 NighthawK1337

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere, Terra, Asia, Philippines

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:13 AM

I'm on an Acer Laptop with i5-5200U and Geforce 940m 4GB and still pull consistent 40 ish FPS at medium settings, max particles and textures. The engine uses more CPU power than GPU power in my experience.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users