Kodiaks, Which To Buy?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

So I had some c-bills and some empty mech bays and so picked up a Kodiak-3. Until they change the skill system, I still need two other Kodiaks to master... Which 2 are the Kodiaks to have? And what sort of builds do they run?

#2 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

I got the basic package, here is how they rank on my stats.

Kodiak 3 has been the king for a while but after 3 different nerfs, the other Kodiak's are now more competitive. If you like Dakka and ballistics in general, it's highly recommended. The Gauss, PPC sniper has been very popular after Mech Con but I still get my best MDD scores with my 2X Ultra AC/5, 2X Ultra AC/10 build (the 4X Ultra AC/10 still wrecks face but you need to be careful with your heat and jam time)

Kodiak 2 is my second highest scoring Kodiak but that's mostly thanks to the Jump Jets fitting my play style. I simply droped the 2X SSRM 6's to add a second ER Large Lasers for range and wait till a enemy is close enough for my Ultra AC/20 and Med Lasers and jump right next to them while they are focused on my team mates. NO ONE EXPECTS THE DROP BEAR!

Kodiak 1 is my energy boat. It runs hot and the energy slots are no where as high as the ballistic and missile slots on most Kodiaks but the all pules alpha wrecks face! It a great finisher but easy to overheat in a brawl. Poke until it time for the kill steal or to save a team mate from a bigger foe.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

4/SB
1/5

Is how I rank them.

#4 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

my personal experience may not be the most scientific way to rank them, but according to my performance with the basic pack and hero they would be:

SB

That is in tier 3 and my kdk 1 runs alrm 40, 2 erllas, 6 spl. So if your tier is high enough to make lrm useless you might want to take that into consideration.

#5 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

I should point out that the Kodiak 2, 4 and Spirit Bear are the only ones with quirk list while the 1, 3, 5 are bare bones (they added CT Structure to the 1 and 5 while stripping the 3 for balance purposes) Probably part of the KDK 2 & 4 success and should be kept in mine with the up coming Skill Tree replacing allot of Quirks sometime within the next year.

Edited by Steel Raven, 01 January 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#6 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

I had the easiest time with the -4, aka LRMpaw aka Shamebear
The missiles are mostly just for the poke war and getting somewhat reliable hits before I can get decent line of sight, at which point the double UACs open up and shred things. Haven't taken it out since the jam chance changes so it might be a different story. Kind of a misuse of a 100t chassis but also easy to use and if you're just after a variant to master without having to put much love or hard work into it then this is your bear

#7 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:25 AM

3,4 and SB are the best variants

#8 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

Not a fan of Lurm Bears myself but I just realized you can try most of Scotch builds with the 4.

#9 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

The KDK 3 is definitely the best variant. Get that first.

Then I would recommend the KDK 2. It's my best performing Kodiak.

Then I would recommend Spirit Bear if you want to spend real money, the KDK 4 if you want to use C-Bills.

#10 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

I'd agree with those suggesting the 4 and Hero, though if you don't want to pay real £££ then I'd say grab the 2 instead, because it at least has JJs for some extra flavour.

#11 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

I got the 3, 5, and SB. The 3 and SB are really good. You can roll these mechs in the solo queue and make an impact.

The 5, not so much. Any decent build is just too hot. I expect that's also true for the 1.

#12 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

Buy 3 kodiak 3. February will bring the patch where having 3 different variants to master is no more.
So just buy multiple of the best variant so u don't have to play the less fun and less effective ones.

#13 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

Well looks like most agree the 2 is good. The third choice is more hit or miss it seems...

View PostPOOTYTANGASAUR, on 04 January 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

Buy 3 kodiak 3. February will bring the patch where having 3 different variants to master is no more.
So just buy multiple of the best variant so u don't have to play the less fun and less effective ones.

I'll have mastered them by February (figuring I buy 3 now). I have my Marauder IIC's (pack+reinforce+hero+preorder) fully elited and most nearly mastered. That's playing them only to the first win of the day and switching to the next version. It's silly to wait over a month just to avoid buying three.

#14 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:01 AM

View PostPOOTYTANGASAUR, on 04 January 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

dude kodiaks are so OP and popular, that everyone and their grand-mother has elited/mastered them already.

#15 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

View PostJudauAshta, on 08 January 2017 - 03:01 AM, said:

dude kodiaks are so OP and popular, that everyone and their grand-mother has elited/mastered them already.

The KDK 3 wasoverpowered, the first week was the best time to master the KDK 1 when it was nothing but Kodiak on Kodiak violence. You can afford to be a little more picky now that it's a qestion of c-bills rather than real $$$ and a new skill tree on the way.

#16 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:43 AM

View PostJudauAshta, on 08 January 2017 - 03:01 AM, said:

I wasn't playing for ~3 months, so I certainly hadn't. xD

I picked up the 4 as my third... Not sure I like the 2 & 4 that much. Seem so slow compared to my MAD-IICs, which makes it harder to brawl (which is how I set them up).

#17 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

I agree with the above poster,
K3, k2, and Spirit Bear.

#18 Maven

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

Going on a limb here for a variant that is a lot of fun.

Use the KDK-5
400XL
4-ERPPC positioned to your liking
19 DHS
Level 1 Targeting Comp
Reduced armor on the legs

Recommended Modules:
Enhanced Zoom
CERPPC Range
CERPPC Cooldown

You can do two rapid vollys (Chain fire) before running into heat issues and cool down is fast.
It looks awesome on the sending side and terrifying on the receiving side.
This makes the target enemy mechs quickly run for cover.
With the range changes to the Gauss Rifle, you own the long range and with no minimums, this load out is also effective a closer ranges.
True there are possibly more efficient/effective energy boats. But this is just a ton of fun.

Note: NEVER accidentally group fire all 4 ERPPCs when Heat Override is engaged.

#19 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

View PostMaven, on 23 January 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

Going on a limb here for a variant that is a lot of fun.

Use the KDK-5
400XL
4-ERPPC positioned to your liking
19 DHS
Level 1 Targeting Comp
Reduced armor on the legs

Recommended Modules:
Enhanced Zoom
CERPPC Range
CERPPC Cooldown

You can do two rapid vollys (Chain fire) before running into heat issues and cool down is fast.
It looks awesome on the sending side and terrifying on the receiving side.
This makes the target enemy mechs quickly run for cover.
With the range changes to the Gauss Rifle, you own the long range and with no minimums, this load out is also effective a closer ranges.
True there are possibly more efficient/effective energy boats. But this is just a ton of fun.

Note: NEVER accidentally group fire all 4 ERPPCs when Heat Override is engaged.

Congrats, you built a giant Warhawk.

#20 Doriam

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:19 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 23 January 2017 - 08:36 PM, said:

Congrats, you built a giant Warhawk.

Any better sugestion? Because KDK-5 is pretty decent, and I tired to config it. All another mech allmost always have 400++ dmg, but kdk-5 usualy die with ~250
But 4 ppc get 680 dmg just now.

Edited by Doriam, 26 May 2017 - 09:32 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users