23 replies to this topic

#1 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:17 AM

Have you seen the numbers of uploaders diminish over 2016? Is the community on YouTube for MWO healthy? What would you like to see most out of a YouTube video featuring MWO?

#2 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:38 AM

View PostStone Wall, on 10 January 2017 - 04:17 AM, said:

What would you like to see most out of a YouTube video featuring MWO?

More use of this song.

#3 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

One of the first youtubers I discovered was SideStraffe and he appears to have given up on the game. Luckily we are blessed to have SnugglesTime and Molten Metal. These guys are top notch.

#4 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostMacClearly, on 10 January 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

One of the first youtubers I discovered was SideStraffe and he appears to have given up on the game. Luckily we are blessed to have SnugglesTime and Molten Metal. These guys are top notch.

SideStrafe still does the occasional video for MWO, but he has expressed his... Displeasure... On more than one occasion.

Hell he just did one a few weeks ago talking about MW5:M.

#5 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

lets face it, while the franchise is excellent, MWO is not a good game, so why anyone would stream on a regular basis, heck even B33f took a break.

MW2-3-4 and LL are so far superior to MWO. That is without counting the false promises, feature that never came and upcoming stuff that offers less than what MWO already offers. As a player and a fan of the BT franchise, never I`d stream this farce.

Like TotalBiscuit said on you tube, MWO has ``Problems``
he is a fan of the franchise but doesn't play the game...

Edited by TheLuc, 10 January 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#6 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

View PostTheLuc, on 10 January 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

lets face it, while the franchise is excellent, MWO is not a good game, so why anyone would stream on a regular basis, heck even B33f took a break.

MW2-3-4 and LL are so far superior to MWO. That is without counting the false promises, feature that never came and upcoming stuff that offers less than what MWO already offers. As a player and a fan of the BT franchise, never I`d stream this farce.

I don't stream but I post videos. I often make fun of the game for being watered down MechWarrior while I play the game how I want to. I get some negative comments and "why didn't you"s but my main answer is because I'm having fun and I don't consider this game quite up there with MW3 and MW4.

What I have found surprising is many of my MW3 uploads will receive more views than MWO. That shows issues for MWO when a game that lost server support in 2008 can draw more attention.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

I am having a blast running with the (MS) crew. I might actually start streaming... when my wife stops her Netflix addiction.

#8 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

See, I disagree. I think MWO is a "good" game. It is even a good MechWarrior game. It is just not a great game and that is what people expected based on the hype and the pre-release information. PGI just set unrealistic goals for themselves and set the bar for peoples expectations way too high thus the cynicism-angst-disappointment-frustration-anger and salt from some of those that expected so much more.

#9 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 10 January 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

SideStrafe still does the occasional video for MWO, but he has expressed his... Displeasure... On more than one occasion.

Great video.

#10 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:13 AM

View PostRampage, on 10 January 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

See, I disagree. I think MWO is a "good" game. It is even a good MechWarrior game. It is just not a great game and that is what people expected based on the hype and the pre-release information. PGI just set unrealistic goals for themselves and set the bar for peoples expectations way too high thus the cynicism-angst-disappointment-frustration-anger and salt from some of those that expected so much more.

so Mech Assault tier. Posted Image

#11 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 January 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

I am having a blast running with the (MS) crew. I might actually start streaming... when my wife stops her Netflix addiction.

Netflix is a bottomless black hole it will never end.

#12 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 10 January 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

Just a paid advertisement for PGI...
Comments like his Good friend Bombadil, his fully paid trip by PGI etc, paid shill?
Then the contradictions (lies), he states he met the MWO sound guy who is also working on MW5 chatted about the diff engines..
then the comment, ohh dont worry about MWO not being further developed TWO different teams working on it.. wait..i say what? he states two i say TWO different teams working on it but the sound engineer is working on both??
Clearly not Two different teams, did he miss this or clearly misleading?.
PGI at it again telling you things like Two different teams working on the two games when clearly they are not,, whats the word for that??

#13 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 11 January 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

Just a paid advertisement for PGI...
Comments like his Good friend Bombadil, his fully paid trip by PGI etc, paid shill?
Then the contradictions (lies), he states he met the MWO sound guy who is also working on MW5 chatted about the diff engines..
then the comment, ohh dont worry about MWO not being further developed TWO different teams working on it.. wait..i say what? he states two i say TWO different teams working on it but the sound engineer is working on both??
Clearly not Two different teams, did he miss this or clearly misleading?.
PGI at it again telling you things like Two different teams working on the two games when clearly they are not,, whats the word for that??

I wasn't commenting on the content of SideStrafe's video, merely commenting to another poster that SideStrafe hasn't abandoned making MWO videos, just that they've become fewer and farther between than they used to be.

#14 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:30 AM

View PostRampage, on 10 January 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

It doesn't need to be a good game. It just needs to be a good YouTube game. For a game to succeed in YouTube it needs a big core audience, which MWO doesn't have, but it also needs to be viewable --- similar requirements eSports and for Twitch.

There are things that distract MWO from being a good YouTube game.

Sometimes maps are too cloudy and too dark, with poor visibility. Videos are meant to be seen, so things inside it need to be seen.

Games cannot be too short, which can happen often in the case of MWO. If you can find a good even pug vs. pug event in FW, maybe you can find material there.

Without good YouTubers --- which is a free advertising on itself --- you would also have difficulty attracting new players. I am introduced to new games by YouTube.

You need the ability to record replays and send them in a file. So you can send your best games to YouTubers who can comment and post your play into YouTube. This has a collateral effect that you can send replays of suspected cheaters to company support for determination and action.

Presentation is important. Aesthetics is important. A game that looks good, will look good in YouTube. If you got crap graphics, crap textures, crap map design, its not going to look good.

#15 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:38 AM

View PostStone Wall, on 11 January 2017 - 04:13 AM, said:

so Mech Assault tier. Posted Image

Posted Image

Why don't you compare playing the game to drinking dumpster water while you're at it.

#16 Alea iacta est

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 04:01 AM

I recently started a MWO channel on youtube called LazyTomcatRanch. I have over a dozen videos up already featuring unique and unusual builds, along with gameplay. Any subs, likes, and comments would be very welcome as I started the channel to hopefully someday get monetized to help the over one hundred cats I have been trying to take care of for the past 12 years. l)J

#17 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 07:50 AM

Nice necro...

You should include a link to your channel - people are lazy and won't use the YT search engine (that is bad btw, so they might not even find you if they do).

#18 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 17 June 2023 - 08:42 AM

There are a few dozen if not more players posting regular mwo youtube content with a few hundred to a few thousand subs and much of it is pretty good stuff. The problem is audience. There just are not enough active players who are interested in ~watching~ other people play the game as a percentage of the population and since the game gets zero marketing there isn't any real exposure to those that don't know it exists. There is a smaller stream community but again mwo isn't a very exciting game to watch as a spectator so streamer likeability and their personality are more the draw than the actual game.

#19 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 17 June 2023 - 12:48 PM

MWO is quite frankly a very boring dull game to watch. It's ok to play. Every non mwo video on my yt has a lot more stats in the positive than mwo. My highest rated video so far is just a 25 second clip of squidward running with some silly sound fx. Mwo videos are pretty much zero or in the low teens for views compared to the few hundred my other videos get.

I'm by no means a youtuber as I rarely upload videos,never promote,don't use or look for sponsors or any of the other things a successful yt channel does. I just upload when I feel like it what ever catches my fancy and make it public so if others see it and like it good for them.

#20 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 June 2023 - 07:36 PM

Necro Atlas meme.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users