Question For Elite Fp Groups

24 replies to this topic

#1 Teslar Kain

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

Have any of you elite FP groups (KCOM, EVIL, etc) tried going into FP matches with the bottom of the barrel mechs of either faction? Like running 12 Trebuches, 12 Vindicators, etc? I'm curious if teamwork would win the day in those kind of matches (and maybe shed some more light on tech issues).

I'd also like to see how top level players would kit out their mechs with such a self imposed handicap, and if the added challenge might spice things up for those who are bored with stompfests.

#2 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

Not that I'm in one of those units, but why would it matter when their PUG opponents are bringing those same mechs but with worse loadouts and no teamwork? It'd really only effect them when they drop against other elite groups.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

Well if I can bring Trial mechs and still put out consistent 1500dmg+ games (IS or Clan), then bringing "not amazing" mechs will also achieve the same result.

It's all about spreading damage, shooting the same target and (wait for it) not bringing LRMs to a direct-fire battle.

#4 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

I missed 'Flamer Day' back when they nerfed the flamers (Teamwork still OP,) and am not a spokes person for Kell's Commandos, but we've done drops while basicing new mechs when they came out and even bid away our first mech of the drop a few times.

The problem is, with 4.1 that we've no way to tell who we're dropping with. Before you could have someone boot up an alt, take a look at the queues and say "Hey, looks like a Pick up Group over there, bring what ever." Or you'd be able to tell that there was only one group queueing up on the planet for a few drops and could have the measure of your opposition and make deck decisions around that.

No longer. Now it's queue up, and pick your mechs, never having a clue as to what you'll face. And my Unit at least, does like to win, so everytime we'll wanna be prepared for another tight unit, cuz those fights are some of the best.

~Leone

#5 Jaybles-The-PegLeg-PotatoCaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

Not that we qualify as elite, but DERP has on occasion taken all trial decks, also taken all PPC decks, All Small pulse decks, Haven't convinced anyone to take all LURM decks yet.

Unfortunately, the IS trials are pretty garbage compared to the clan trials. I'm still trying to figure out who thought a 4 MPLS 3SRM Brawling XL Zeus would be a good idea? It's just a death trap for new players and I see at least one if not more on the IS side Damn near every match. I'll Take the Trial Orion IIc any day over the Trial Zeus.

#6 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

That 12 LRM Jenner IIC drop was fun :)

#7 Stahlherz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

I remember a drop where all of us had a deck made up of IS Trial Mechs.
Like Awesome, Jägermech etc.
We even dropped the same 'Mech each wave.

#8 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

I've run 2 different alts and pure pugging playing only FW + cadet drops built full drop decks twice in Clans.

If you're reasonably familiar with how to play and why the meta is the meta you can get 1k+ every game in trials.

It's part of why there's so much irritation over people consistently and persistently playing bad robbits and denigrating any habits, skills or mechs that are not terrible. Leaving to play well in good mechs teaches you the skills and habits to play well in anything.

Good players in good teams would have excellent w/l in trials. That's NOT because mechs/tech doesn't matter - it's because when you really understand how and why it matters you're much, much better at dealing with it.

#9 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

To be fair mischief, the clan trials are in a much better place for FP than IS trials, but still, bad builds with lots of lurms on both sides is still bad.

#10 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

[color=#B27204]Leone[/color]

• Posted Image
  • Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Posted Image
  • 1,395 posts
  • [color="#505050"]Location[/color]Outworlds Alliance

Posted Today, 03:33 PM
I missed 'Flamer Day' back when they nerfed the flamers (Teamwork still OP,) and am not a spokes person for Kell's Commandos, but we've done drops while basicing new mechs when they came out and even bid away our first mech of the drop a few times.

The problem is, with 4.1 that we've no way to tell who we're dropping with. Before you could have someone boot up an alt, take a look at the queues and say "Hey, looks like a Pick up Group over there, bring what ever." Or you'd be able to tell that there was only one group queueing up on the planet for a few drops and could have the measure of your opposition and make deck decisions around that.

No longer. Now it's queue up, and pick your mechs, never having a clue as to what you'll face. And my Unit at least, does like to win, so everytime we'll wanna be prepared for another tight unit, cuz those fights are some of the best.

~Leone

good points

#11 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

Yes, its been done.

Here is one where we brought LRM decks

#12 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:06 AM

View PostTeslar Kain, on 11 January 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

Have any of you elite FP groups (KCOM, EVIL, etc) tried going into FP matches with the bottom of the barrel mechs of either faction? Like running 12 Trebuches, 12 Vindicators, etc? I'm curious if teamwork would win the day in those kind of matches (and maybe shed some more light on tech issues).

I'd also like to see how top level players would kit out their mechs with such a self imposed handicap, and if the added challenge might spice things up for those who are bored with stompfests.

Not sure if it counts, but done all Urbie Scout decks and still won.

Cannot self-nerf much more then that.

#13 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:02 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 12 January 2017 - 04:06 AM, said:

Not sure if it counts, but done all Urbie Scout decks and still won.

Cannot self-nerf much more then that.

leg each others urbeies at the start and shoot off the wepaons.

Edited by Lily from animove, 12 January 2017 - 05:03 AM.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:08 AM

the problem is you dont know when you are going to get a big unit or a bunch of pugs, so you always kit out for the worst case scenario.

this is why i strongly suggest some kind of unit rivalry feature so units can enter into games where they know they are going to battle another unit. this would be a good alternative to split queue for pugs. it better targets elite units explicitly and gives them games more on par with their abilities. one game there might be worth 5 in the general population to really give units an alternative to pug farming in order to win planets, and with fewer drops.

for the pugs you will see fewer stomps, but will still see units from time to time. this opens them up to unit invites, strategy and simply being able to see what unit play offers rather than total insulation from the units.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 January 2017 - 07:13 AM.

#15 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

Back in the days of Ebon Keshik, we used to take cheetas or mist lynx with a single erppc. It is surprisingly effective when you jump over a closed gate and attack the enemy team when they are not expecting it.

#16 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostTeslar Kain, on 11 January 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure SCAR made a post about running 12 mad dogs with srms into 12 maulers...and still winning.

#17 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Once upon a time, we created an trollish alt unit that dropped a 12 man with a full trial dropdeck. We won all 5 games we played including against 2 clan 12 mans (The trial assault at the time was the 4xAC5 King Crab and the trial Heavy was the thunderbolt 9SE with 3LPL) 12x Trial King Crabs followed by 12 thud 9SE's was usually enough finish games.

#18 JasonIIC

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

I'm far from elite, but we won with an lurm deck before. Also, I'm pretty sure at least 75% of us were drunk. I'm not going to lie, I felt a little dirty afterward.

#19 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

the beef's maximum lerm video shows that lerms can work in an organized group. but in the organized case, there are designated spotters positioned in a place to get solid locks on indirect targets. this is neccisary. organized lerms like that produces an intense effect of shock and awe. you pretty much have to walk through that in order to get the spotters and close in on the boats. your average pug is going to hide behind a rock and hope they run out of ammo.

if you are a pug and you put a lerm boat in your deck, and you didnt coordinate to make sure your lerms and your scouts are in the same drop, you are pretty much are bringing a useless situational build for a situation that may not arise. if you do bring lerms, be sure to back them up with other weapons, get your own locks if neccisary and share your armor. and do throw a spotter in your deck, you might be able to buddy up with fellow lermers and alternate jobs.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 January 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#20 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

View PostStarbomber109, on 12 January 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure SCAR made a post about running 12 mad dogs with srms into 12 maulers...and still winning.

Streak SRMs at that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users