27 replies to this topic

#1 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:11 AM

I'm a huge fan of the gargoyle but with the complete lack of side torso hard points and the low tonnage available for weapons, coming up with builds isn't as easy on this mech.

Please share your builds here so the gargoyle enthusiasts can have a new load out list with consideration to the current quirks!

#2 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:21 AM

Lots of SLs or SPLs .

Use speed to be an ambush predator/carrion feeder.

Edited by NRP, 12 January 2017 - 08:22 AM.

#3 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

6x MPL or ERML in one arm makes a reasonable side peaker, and with its torso twist speed can shield like a boss.

Otherwise a big AC and some SPL/ERSL is okish.

As stated above the SPL spam is the best/most common build.

Just remember its not a mech you.take into a slugging match with another assault. Treat it like a medium and you'll do alright. Or just take the nova instead.

Edited by Stormie, 12 January 2017 - 11:12 AM.

#4 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:08 AM

I'm familiar with all the laser boat builds. I'm interested in the more diverse, mixed builds at this point.

The builds I do real well with so far are as follows:

GAR-A: Just stock, because pushing out 600-800 damage is a regular thing in FP

GAR-D: Either stock or switch it to 2 Large pulse, 3 med las, and 1 small pulse. The latter works very similarly to my favorite TBR build. Loading it with just 6 medium pulse is also devastating when you have room to move around and cover to utilize.

GAR-B: change the right arm to the GAR-C and load 2x SRM6+artemis and 6 (pulse)medium lasers. Still can't stand to assaults face to face, but used with cover this build really puts some hurt down.

#5 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

What is this amateur hour. You will dominate anything up close with this.

Gargoyle D

#6 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

View PostRagnar Baron Leiningen, on 12 January 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

What is this amateur hour. You will dominate anything up close with this.

Gargoyle D

I've used that. The Pure SPL build is better. Less facetime more twisting.
And that wont dominate everything up close... its seriously good but remember newbs might read this and take things you say literally. (superfunk isn't a newb)
Of the of of my head an atlas s, splatapult, splatdog, splat+ml stalker, splat cyclops, trial orion iic would all wreck that build.

#7 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

View PostStormie, on 12 January 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

I've used that. The Pure SPL build is better. Less facetime more twisting.
And that wont dominate everything up close... its seriously good but remember newbs might read this and take things you say literally. (superfunk isn't a newb)
Of the of of my head an atlas s, splatapult, splatdog, splat+ml stalker, splat cyclops, trial orion iic would all wreck that build.

An atlas or cyclops maybe but if you lose to pults or dogs thats a problem with your aim or your piloting.

#8 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostRagnar Baron Leiningen, on 12 January 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

An atlas or cyclops maybe but if you lose to pults or dogs thats a problem with your aim or your piloting.

Those dogs are pretty vicious these days. Lately I've been focusing on making my builds functional in at least 2 ranges, so even if my primary weapons are very short, I still want to be able to at least given a decent slap to him on the way in at medium or long range. In this case, it applies to softening the atlas or cyclops before I need to get into spitting distance to finish him off.

#9 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

View PostRagnar Baron Leiningen, on 12 January 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

Despite taking thread offtopic, and knowing that you are only arguing because its me...
The pult/dog do 72 dmg@297 meters where your lasers are doing what... 25 dmg tops. You'll be open in one or more components before you even get in optimum range.
Lose the right arm or right torso and you lose 36 dmg leaving you with only 30. Lose left arm or left torso you lose 20 leaving you with 46.
Your arms will have 85 hp after structure quirks
Side torsos have 119hp after structure quirks
Ct is 168hp after structure.
Doesn't go to far against a 72pt alpha.

The splat has a bigger alpha, at a longer range (important given even closing at top speed of 87.1 against a splat mad dog reversing at 58 you are only closing at 29.1kph that's 8m/s)
So to close from 297m to 220m where HALF your weapons are in optimat range will take 10 seconds. Cooldown on an SRM6 is 3.8secs with fast fire, faster again with a cooldown module, so just in that time you are copping two alphas and the splat is cooling down for his third.
infact id suggest that if the splat doesn't win the pilots weren't equally skilled

Edited by Stormie, 12 January 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#10 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

The problem is you can do a big cannon and 4 or 5 lasers but for 15 less tons you can do the same thing on a bringer or a ebon jag. The point of the gargoyle and its giant engine is to get in close and drop the hammer. Otherwise your better off just running a 65 tonner and save the weight.

#11 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

View PostRagnar Baron Leiningen, on 12 January 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

The problem is you can do a big cannon and 4 or 5 lasers but for 15 less tons you can do the same thing on a bringer or a ebon jag. The point of the gargoyle and its giant engine is to get in close and drop the hammer. Otherwise your better off just running a 65 tonner and save the weight.

That's a very poor argument given you can take the load out you are advocating on a nova or stormcrow and would either move faster and save 25t, or move the same speed and save 30. And the novas quirks are better.
Engine weight scaling kills the gargoyle. (well that and no endo)
If the gargoyle was 75tonnes and went the same speed it would need xl375 which is 7tonnes lighter than the 400it has. So its a five tonne heavier mech, all of which plus more is spent on a 7 tonne heavier engine. Essentially costing it 2tonnes of weapon space to be an assault with an underarmed heavies weaponry.

Edited by Stormie, 12 January 2017 - 11:14 AM.

#12 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

View PostStormie, on 12 January 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

That's a very poor argument given you can take the load out you are advocating on a nova or stormcrow and would either move faster and save 25t, or move the same speed and save 30. And the novas quirks are better.
Engine weight scaling kills the gargoyle. (well that and no endo)

By all means post a better build for the gargoyle then. The knife fighter gargoyle is by far the best build for the mech. Hands down.

#13 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

View PostRagnar Baron Leiningen, on 12 January 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

By all means post a better build for the gargoyle then. The knife fighter gargoyle is by far the best build for the mech. Hands down.

Are you ********? Noone ever said it wasn't. Just its all spl instead of half and half.

#14 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

View PostStormie, on 12 January 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

Are you ********? Noone ever said it wasn't. Just its all spl instead of half and half.

38% heat efficiency vs 32% Heat efficiency at the cost of 6 damage. And you have slightly better range. I like my build better.

#15 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

GAR-B

GAR-C

My 'Goyle's are built for Brawling, and that's just what they'll do.~♪

~Leone.

#16 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostStormie, on 12 January 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

Despite taking thread offtopic, and knowing that you are only arguing because its me...
The pult/dog do 72 dmg@297 meters where your lasers are doing what... 25 dmg tops. You'll be open in one or more components before you even get in optimum range.
Lose the right arm or right torso and you lose 36 dmg leaving you with only 30. Lose left arm or left torso you lose 20 leaving you with 46.
Your arms will have 85 hp after structure quirks
Side torsos have 119hp after structure quirks
Ct is 168hp after structure.
Doesn't go to far against a 72pt alpha.

The splat has a bigger alpha, at a longer range (important given even closing at top speed of 87.1 against a splat mad dog reversing at 58 you are only closing at 29.1kph that's 8m/s)
So to close from 297m to 220m where HALF your weapons are in optimat range will take 10 seconds. Cooldown on an SRM6 is 3.8secs with fast fire, faster again with a cooldown module, so just in that time you are copping two alphas and the splat is cooling down for his third.
infact id suggest that if the splat doesn't win the pilots weren't equally skilled

the science behind it is much appreciated it. Either way, the 10/12 s(p)l is one of the common and obvious choices. I'm curious about the other builds out there. As stated above, its got some great potential even with its mixed range load outs and I want to explore those a bit more.

#17 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:40 PM

Just wait for the 3060+ jump... Heavy Lasers all the way... if we jump into the Jihad, Heavy Lasers and a HAG

#18 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

View PostJENNER llC, on 04 March 2017 - 09:09 PM, said:

something unorthodox VoltGoyle

3 x quirked C-ER PPC
erppc heat generation -5%
erppc velocity +15%
energy cooldown -5%
[+26 armor on left shield arm]

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8a4238f8a67e247

As much as I enjoy other PPC boats like the Warhawk and Marauder IIC, an all PPC Gargoyle just doesn't feel right to me. I also am not a fan of the shield side, but thanks for posting the build. I'm sure someone will get inspired by your build.

#19 Jiffy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

This is what I use: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5c89945fc2a4487

Yes, I know it's not perfectly optimized, but I've had so many 1,000+ damage games with this build that I know it must be decent. Plus the UAC gives you that little bit extra range, which is kinda nice.

#20 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

View PostBlack Lanner, on 04 March 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

Just wait for the 3060+ jump... Heavy Lasers all the way... if we jump into the Jihad, Heavy Lasers and a HAG

You do know that the HAG is basically the horrible love child of a gauss rifle and an LRM, right? It fires however many projectiles it's rated at at one damage per shot. So a HAG20 fires 20 1 damage shots. Actually hitting anything with them is going to be a pain in the ***.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users