Your potato is overcooked

#22 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:36 AM

I just ordered a 1080 from amazon for £537 !
Not sure if it's a pricing error but if anyones interested, look up the Gigabyte board. Amazon is bumping the price up each day so be quick, I missed it at £530 (not a biggie tho).

Having said that I'll be pushing MWOnline back to the gaming queue once my PT runs out next week.

#23 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 January 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

I play with 210 ping and that is big enough to be a difference between spotting an enemy and actually shooting at it.

in your first post, you implied or oat least it looked like, you were playing at around a 100 ping. At 200 and over youll notice something thats for sure.

#24 Trunok

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:28 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 16 January 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

in your first post, you implied or oat least it looked like, you were playing at around a 100 ping. At 200 and over youll notice something thats for sure.

I'm in Brazil, and any online game with NA server will only get noticeable effects with 320+ ping, that is of course my experience, even with this game.

#25 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

View PostTrunok, on 16 January 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

I'm in Brazil, and any online game with NA server will only get noticeable effects with 320+ ping, that is of course my experience, even with this game.

At 160-200 ping for me, I don't get anything bad like rubberbanding or shots hitting me from around corners, but I do get shots that disappear into the aether. There's a reason I've locked myself to the NA server whenever I'm running PPC mechs.

#26 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

I run on a woefully underpowered laptop (hey it wasn't bad when it came out... some years ago...) and -I- don't run into the issues the OP is talking about, outside of some kinda sorta like that when packet loss is at its height (and that's usually self-centered housemates guzzling bandwidth on a tiny dying town's infrastructure). At least when someone isn't streaming it tends to be pretty stable though. Personally I'd rather have a stable higher ping, than phantom packet loss.

Mechs getting stuck? What? Grinding against each other and that severely annoying anti-collision teleporting some mechs seem prone to, sure. Really hate that crap, but hey, IK takes priority apparently... LOL, ehem. Excuse me. Flashbacks to the recent "roadmap". Still makes me chuckle.

Now the ****-poor optimizations... that I can get. This game is inconsistent as all get out on beasts to potatoes. Embarrassingly so. I've had to run user.cfg edits using various cry-engine settings to reduce the amount and complexity of particles and a whole lot more to get it to a point where it's immersive enough yet not a guzzler (no shadows, no particles, super bare bones graphics... no can do. Playing a game like this with less eye-candy than Minecraft is pretty sad).

That said, it does run pretty good (by that I mean tolerably stable...ish, sorta kinda)... but it's no sleek as ****, Anti-Aliased, higher Resolution experience. Sacrifices had to be made (and a lot of gamers would laugh out loud before they ran a game like that). Necessary ones (that shouldn't have been as severe, but hey... horrible coding).

Some maps get some bad fps dips (that piece of crap Forest Colony nobody votes for always hits my system harder than all else), whereas others that -should- with what's going on, don't, so even that is really inconsistent and hard to narrow down which is a culprit, which isn't, and what should be done about it.

Still, I can do well, when the connection is playing nice, the map is playing nice, and no hidden Windows crap sneaks in to assassinate my performance (man do I wish I could run this well on Linux, seriously). Believe me, the only reason I retain Windows in part is a couple online games that don't play nicey nicey on other things.

The reality is, however, that I can run games that -should- be more taxing than MWO on this potatoe much, much better, than it can run MWO, though on this dated thing. Always been the case, and the primary reason I stopped playing a long stretch -years- back and ditched an old account was how piss-poorly it ran (it -has- improved, but nowhere near enough). I only started playing again since the crazy early days after I could tweak it enough to be tolerable, and even that has been an ongoing struggle as some patchs just seem to slam dunk performance into the ******* for no discernible reason. I've gutted Windows multiple times of unnecessary garbage, but I can understand some of the OPs frustrations.

It has some of the worst optimization I've ran into; it's like a really, really bad console port (and often worse), which boggles my mind given it was developed strictly for a Windows PC. All that being said... do you think the OP is actually going to read this thread? My guess they never intended to care about any responses, much like, well, most posts of this nature. It's more of a place for folks like us to vent.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users