63 replies to this topic

#41 Brakkar

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:02 AM

WHM-6D

Weapons: 9 MPL (I had them chained in 3 groups of 3).
Engine: STD 300
Heatsinks: Double
Armor: Standard
Structure: Endo-Steel

http://WHM-6D

#42 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

View PostHaleion, on 15 January 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

Works better on the 6D with it's 10% energy range quirk

Quirks are largely going away remember, before these champions patch into the game. The only reason to use any particular variant currently is the hardpoint selections.

#43 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

Here's what I got. It's simple, yet brutal:

Warhammer-6R:
Engine: 300 STD
Chassis: EndoSteel
Heat-sinks: 15x Double
LA: 1x Medium Laser
LT: 2x Medium Laser + 3x Double Heat-sink
LL: N/A
CT: 1 ton AC/20 ammo
H: 1 ton AC/20 ammo
RL: 1 ton AC/20 ammo
RT: 1x AC/20 + 2x Medium Laser
RA: 1x Medium Laser

Armor distribution is [H 18; ST 52/8; CT 78/10; A 43; L 60].

It runs reasonably fast. It runs reasonably cold. Most of its weapons are loaded into high mounts. No finicky XL. It has enough back armor that the new player won't get gibbed from behind instantly. It rips out 50 damage in one shot. Only two weapon types to manage, and only need three weapon groups to use (one for the AC/20, one for the lasers as a bundle, and one for the lasers on chain-fire). It is as immune to quirk changes as it gets.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 15 January 2017 - 06:25 PM.

#44 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 15 January 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

Here's what I got. It's simple, yet brutal:

Warhammer-6R:
Heat-sinks: 15x Double
LT: 2x Medium Laser + 3x Double Heat-sink
CT: 1 ton AC/20 ammo
H: 1 ton AC/20 ammo
RL: 1 ton AC/20 ammo
RT: 1x AC/20 + 2x Medium Laser

Armor distribution is [H 18; ST 52/8; CT 78/10; A 43; L 60].

It runs reasonably fast. It runs reasonably cold. Most of its weapons are loaded into high mounts. No finicky XL. It has enough back armor that the new player won't get gibbed from behind instantly. It rips out 50 damage in one shot. Only two weapon types to manage, and only need three weapon groups to use (one for the AC/20, one for the lasers as a bundle, and one for the lasers on chain-fire). It is as immune to quirk changes as it gets.

This is one of the best imho. TimberWolf and NightStalker offered some decent ones too.

As for the others, they are garbage for new players. Having an Xl on a new player mech, is shite guys, you should be ashamed of some of these builds.

New players dont care about meta, or damage numbers. Becuse they are new. They want to live long enough to get a feel for the game and feel like they are improving. Getting their side torso shot out in sub 2 minutes because they shutdown after firing their weapons 1 or 2 times is not it.

No doubt half of you would complain about "potatoes" as well, if they were using your 22% heat efficient XL warhammer with no mastery at all. Its all good though because you made some catchy name up for it on the forums amirite????

How long has this "create a champion" system been around? if its a while, it may explain some of the terrible champion builds new players drop in with.

If this sounds like a rant, it isn't. I'm just genuinely amazed at so many builds here that are not helpful at all for new players.

Edited by Reza Malin, 15 January 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#45 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:09 PM

It is also worth noting that, while the laser vomit is easy to use, the WHM-6D is a one-trick pony. Some people are going to spend money on the Champion 'Mechs, and the WHM-6R provides a larger variety of effective build options for newer players who may want to experiment. It can even run some competent laser vomit in its own right.

Put another way, you get a lot more bang for your buck by purchasing a WHM-6R, so I feel that variant is the one which should represent the chassis as a Champion.

There is also a Gauss alternative to my WHM-6R build above, to allow a new player a little more range flexibility. I never found the Gauss mechanic particularly strange or difficult when I was new, but some may be of a different opinion:

Warhammer-6R (GAUSS)
Heat-sinks: 14x Double
LT: 2x Medium Laser + 2x Double Heat-sink
CT: N/A
H: 1 ton Gauss ammo
RL: N/A
RT: 1x Gauss Rifle + 2x Medium Laser + 2 tons Gauss ammo + C.A.S.E

Armor distribution is [H 18; ST 52/8; CT 78/10; A 40; L 55]

C.A.S.E. is included so new player does not die to Gauss explosion and wonder what happened.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 15 January 2017 - 09:09 PM.

#46 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:11 AM

- WHM-7S

Double Heatsinks
Endo-Steel

Right Arm: 1 x DHS \ 1 x MedPulse Laser \ 44 armor
Left Arm: 1 x DHS \ 1 x MedPulse Laser \ 44 armor

Right Torso: 3 x DHS \ 1 x MedPulse Laser \ 1 x Large Pulse laser \ 44-16 armor
Center Torso: STD Engine 280 \ 70-18 armor
Left Torso: 3 x DHS \ 1 x MedPulse Laser \ 1 x Large Pulse laser \ 44-16 armor

Right Leg: 59 armor
Left Leg: 59 armor

#47 TheGunKnows

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationJapan

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:20 AM

WHM-6D "The Bandit"

This is my version if Bandit's Warhammer 6-D that he was running a few times during the MWO Championship twitch-casts
STD 300, 4 LPLs 4 extra DL heat-sinks. Arms are pretty stripped but otherwise close to full armour. Endo and Ferro.

#48 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:23 AM

Lots of 6D builds all basically the same. A mech for new players shouldn't have more than 2 weapon groups, because only 2 mouse buttons. The 6D is ideal for this. And given that we've already seen laser-boating Thunderbolt & now Grasshopper trials mechs, a laser-boat Warhammer-6D fits nicely with PGI's current thinking.

#49 Nosiwosi

• Pip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

WHM-6D

A bit cooler and running on a standard engine. I think it would be good for beginners as it still packs a punch and they can get used to the meta 3 large pulse + med lasers.

WHM-6D

Or this one, even cooler but it runs on the XL 325 with 4 large pulse. Can teach beginners when it is worth firing all 4 and triggering ghost heat or fire 2 by 2.

#50 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

You shouldn't be afraid to use XL engines. They teach you how to torso twist and protect open components.

Warhammer 6D
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...76d2928b35556d1

Warhammer 6R
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fe80735fe4e7c59

Warhammer 7S
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1223cc66c4d5604

Edited by The Potatoe Whisperer, 16 January 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#51 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

View PostThe Potatoe Whisperer, on 16 January 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

You shouldn't be afraid to use XL engines. They teach you how to torso twist and protect open components.

- But before that new players get wrong impression and bad experience using IS mech and take Clan instead. Also - dying every first seconds of battle from friendly fire or from focused enemy fire no fun at all. I remember my first game on XL and frustration of used c-bill for XL engine also I remember bad feel after some time when skill go down a little. IS XL engine forbidden for new players and make wrong impression of game!

#52 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

There are many ways to build a Warhammer - but sometimes, you just need to drop a hammer in a display of indiscriminate brutality. STD engine for tankiness, mass savings from DHS and Endo-Steel, as much cooling as you can cram in and would you please leave subtlety at the door?

This, my friends, is Mjolnir: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0a7a687d5780d36

For weapon groups, I usually have PPCs on 1&3 (together/chain fire), all MLs on 2 (chain fire) and separate groups for arm and torso MLs under 4 and 5.

Edited by Horseman, 16 January 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#53 Noteleet

Rookie

• Senior Force Commander
  • Senior Force Commander
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:15 PM

WHM-6D "The Stranger"

An asymmetric build to mix things up. Relatively maneuverable and survivable. 3LPL, 2ML, Standard 300.

Edited by Nytmyr, 16 January 2017 - 09:16 PM.

#54 Danjo San

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:05 AM

5 LL, Standard 310,
If one Torso drops it still remains in battle and can still shell out DMG. The range is sufficient enough to poke and cool down without running into trouble that easy.
Overall I believe this build is quite New Player friendly, of course, there is the issue of ghostheat being applied when firing all 5 at once however that will teach new players to manage heat.
2 Weapon groups, #1 Left Side, #2 Right Side
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...40f9f425e3dabdb

#55 A FluffyKitten

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:16 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7597451d50224e3
2x ac10
4 tons ammo
4x med laser
3 double heatsinks
xl 340 engine

#56 mindfunk

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRussia Vladivostok

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

Thats what i come in with the Warhammer.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fdb8acd35d477db

2 Large lasers, 4 Med Pulse Lasers, 3 SRM6+Artemis, on an XL300 engine 15 heatsinks.

Weapon groups.

1. 2 large Lasers
2. 4 med pulse Lasers
3. 3 SRM6+Artemis

Edited by mindfunk, 17 January 2017 - 10:19 PM.

#57 paws2sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:21 AM

And here's my WHM-6D Proposed Trial Mech.

Why?
  • Good firepower. 3 LPL and 4 ML. Weapons are complimentary in terms of range, duration, and cool down. 53 damage alpha strike is nothing to sneeze at. Reasonable heat management for a laser boat.
  • Fast as it can get with a 340 XL. If you're going to go XL on an IS Heavy or Assault, you've got to go as big as you can reasonably manage. Just shy of 79 kph gives this Warhammer a fighting chance against superior clan technology
  • Heavily armored. No weak components here.
The WHM chassis is so robust and versatile that I had a hard time deciding on a build. In the end, I thought that going with a straight up laser boat was the way to go. Really, just about anything you can do with the WHM is going to be respectable.

-paws

EDIT: Changed link from HTML to BBCode.

Edited by paws2sky, 19 January 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#58 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

View PostThe Potatoe Whisperer, on 16 January 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

Warhammer 6D
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...76d2928b35556d1

Warhammer 6R
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fe80735fe4e7c59

Warhammer 7S
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1223cc66c4d5604

I don't think anyone here is scared to use an XL. I think you are missing the part where new players don't understand the basics of the game yet, never mind XL engines and torso twist.

Just because we have played the game a long time, don't take for granted the skills and knowledge we have built up when taking into consideration how much there is to learn that is undocumented combined with the learning curve.

#59 DD Hawks

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

WHM-7S

WHM-7S
Two ER Large Lasers
Three SRM-6's with four tons of ammo
and some speed

#60 Article22

Rookie

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

Here is my build for the WHM-7S :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e09c24a88b724f7

I like the quirks on the 7S for a laser vomit mech and dislike XL engines on IS Heavies but want some speed so here is the compromise...only 2 LPL and 4 MLs.

8 DHSs give enough cooling at 40%.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users