104 replies to this topic

#21 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 13 January 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

I care more that new players will be running the most OP build on the most OP mech in the game in a trial and think they're doing great, rather than bad trials pushing players to buy their own mech and customizing it to fit them (aka learning to play). This has implications to push new players PSR too high too fast and hit FW and solo queue with a flood of meta-cheese in the form of trial mechs.

So yes, meta trials are bad. Balanced trials are good. A balanced KDK is not a thing because it literally has EVERYTHING going for it.

And post that Mauler build, I'll vote for it. Maybe toss in a command console too.

I kind of agree with Big Tin Man here. I got a friend (brand new, no MWO experience, hadn't played a mechwarrior game since M4 Mercs was first released and the playstyle is very different between the two games.) into MWO, and the first mech he picked up was a Kodiak. He bought some MC because he wanted to get a Timber Wolf, but when I told him how OP the Kodiak-3 was, he bought it immediately. Fitted it with the meta. Absolutely slaughtered every single game. 800-900 damage easily in most matches.

I'm not really sure the Kodiak is a good idea for a trial mech, considering that it's still the best assault in the game by a fair margin and I agree with his worry that, if we reinforce the idea that meta is the best way, instead of the easiest way, we might end up with new players going over to the side that gets all of their builds off of metamechs and never actually tries to build something unique and interesting because it's not optimized according to Gman (our lord and savior). I'm not ragging on Gman, he does good work, but even he'll readily admit that he's only one dude who likes building mechs and his word is not final on what works and what doesn't.

*Edit* Then again, it's not like the rest of the "recent" trial builds have been non-meta builds anyway....

Edited by Sidefire, 13 January 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#22 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 13 January 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

[SERIOUS BUSINESS]

Are you concerned that my absolutely AWESOME LRM 75 DUAL TAG herochampionuberbear currently has TWICE the amount of votes compared to the meta/comp builds? (4 votes to 2 votes at the time of posting)? Heaven forbid something bad happens to the clanners free trial mechs. Where's Gman5 to save us all from the troll build that won't become a thing? HELP US METAMECHS.COM, YOU'RE OUR ONLY HOPE.

man, this troll build got some legs... I'm done here.

Edited by Big Tin Man, 13 January 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#23 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

An LRM boated kodiak is a dumb build on so many levels... especially for a new player, who aren't going to understand that their missiles are doing practically zero damage at close range.

#24 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 13 January 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

I care more that new players will be running the most OP build on the most OP mech in the game in a trial and think thy're doing great, rather than bad trials pushing players to buy their own mech and customizing it to fit them (aka learning to play).

God forbid the new players have fun with good 'mechs from the start, rather than doing their time in ****** 'mech purgatory, 'eh?

#25 Draglock

• PipPip
  • The Dreadnought
  • The Dreadnought
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeogia

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...43f9bd495656a70

#26 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

Bungle KDK-2

Only 3 fire groups needed (2xERLL, 1xUAC/10, 2xSPL+SRM6), max sustained dps 6.57, 400XL, 4 JJ, Endo/FF, 21DHS, TC1. 1000 damage of ammo, and enough rear armor to cover a PPC hit. The SPL/SRM6 ranges match up pretty close for when you need to shoot close and its 10 heat for 24 damage.

Edited by Dee Eight, 13 January 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#27 Fuerchtenichts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 280 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 13 January 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

^^ How about no. Do you really want more of those running around?

Here's what I'd like to see those filthy clanners run:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5e3c3e24c0bd0b4

I am willing to learn,

1. What exactly is the purpose of the 2nd tag laser?
2. Why do you fit a LB2-X AC and AMS without ammo?
3. Please keep LURM Mechs for IS purposes only

Edited by Fuerchtenichts, 13 January 2017 - 04:40 PM.

#28 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

View PostFuerchtenichts, on 13 January 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

I am willing to learn,

1. What exactly is the purpose of the 2nd tag laser?
2. Why do you fit an LB2-X AC without ammo?

1. Troll build.
2. Gotta have an ammo explosion chance all the time for new players ya know.

#29 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

Boo Boo - KDK-4

Again, armor enough for a rear PPC or 10-class autocannon torso shot, 19DHS, Endo/FF, 400XL, TC1 and three fire groups (2xUAC/10, 2xA-SRM6, 4xSPL). 1000 damage of UAC ammo and 600 damage of SRM ammo. Max Sustained DPS 8.80. Could also run it as two fire groups putting the missiles/lasers together as one since the max range of the SPL is slightly higher than that of the SRM6s and they're all arm mounted.

Edited by Dee Eight, 17 January 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#30 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

Godzilla - KDK-1

My godzilla kodiak build...it spits atomic fire... (mine is built around the (S) with the claw marks in the camo). Complete with a crotch flamer to ruin the day of some locust who tries to get too close. At a distance the ERPPC and AC/2 combine for pinpoint damage in excess of 1.6km, and up close the ERSL and SRM6s can make short work of a mech, and the flamers can give you the chance to shut an opponent down quickly. Also you can alpha strike without triggering ghost heat.

Edited by Dee Eight, 13 January 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#31 Kasumi Sumika

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

KDK-3

4 UAC5, 4 ML, TC1, XL400

#32 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...95e8dd153aa874d

Here you go, another cheese bear.

#33 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

Pookie - KDK-1

My non-(S) KDK-1. Again no ghost heat if I alpha strike. 1 fire group for the ERLL, 1 for the UAC/10, 1 for the SPLs and 1 for the TAG+Streaks.

#34 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 13 January 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

They're Kodiaks. Even if they're terrible, they'll still be better than 90% of IS assaults. About time the clans have a bad champ, and about time something bad happens to the KDK.

That said, I should build the 9 tag bear for this thread.

And is there any question the champ will end up as a KDK-3 with 2xUAC5 and 2xUAC10?

Actually impressed it lasted this long before the 10/5 beatsticks started coming out of the wood work. Now the question is will pgi put a KDK 3 in or something else just to avoid any QQ?

#35 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

HedgeHog - KDK-5

This one needs a bit more explaining probably... the 5 variant's best two energy hardpoints which are the highest on the arms and also closest inboard are the 5th position spots on each arm. So to get the ERLL as the highest they're loaded as 3SPL then the flamer then the ERLL. The flamers in 4th spot then line up to the chest flamer.

#36 Steve Ward

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOxford

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

KDK-3

#37 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

View PostAlex Morgaine, on 13 January 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

Actually impressed it lasted this long before the 10/5 beatsticks started coming out of the wood work. Now the question is will pgi put a KDK 3 in or something else just to avoid any QQ?

Well the rules say the top 3 voted builds then get discussed... so as long as the players don't go troll mode and just vote for and submit identical KDK-3 builds it should be okay. I myself am only bothering at all with my two KDK-3 submissions because I don't run JUST autocannons or the current gauss-ppc meta. I like secondary weapons, especially with the UACs being jam prone.

Edited by Dee Eight, 13 January 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#38 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1c5396048b5074c

LRMs are very difficult to deal with if you're a new player. AMS should be a must for all these trial mechs.

#39 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

Grizz - KDK-3

3 fire groups, UAC5s are the top mounted, 1750 damage of ammo, 4 SPL for the inevitable face huggers (PGI may have nerfed the torso twist but we can still move the arms). Also there comes a time ALL four UACs are jammed together and some enemy is standing right in front of you and you'll feel useless without weapons that just plain WORK.... which is another reason for the small pulse lasers.

Edited by Dee Eight, 16 January 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#40 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

There's really no contest. Double gauss + PPC or 2UAC5/2UAC10 fit on the KDK-3.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users