How Do You Feel About All The Poptarting?

102 replies to this topic

#61 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 15 January 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

20T mech =/= Brawling

I beg to differ. It's a 'Mech I play every time I do some drops and I often post better scores with it than most Heavies. Granted, public matches, but I'm not about to endorse gimping a 'Mech that is already inherently gimped even in public games.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 15 January 2017 - 10:53 PM.

#62 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

View PostJungle Rhino, on 15 January 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

I don't really pop tart per se - but I use JJs to get shots I wouldn't be able to otherwise take because I play scrub potato mechs with sh1tty weapon mounts. I think I actually mostly use JJs to actually navigate terrain - crazy huh! Posted Image

But yeah - Clan pop tarters are superior because they have ECM, and high mount weapons. QKD-5K comes close as an IS option, but can't fit enough JJs to be a really effective popper and obviously lacks ECM.

Only the sad cat fits the requirements for what you are talking about and it is sub par with 2 erppc's. Hunchie and night gyr are at the top of the list atm and they dont have ECM.

#63 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:04 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 15 January 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

but PGI bought the "motion sickness" BS ...

Bullcrap! Just because you yourself did not experience it does not mean nobody did.

May you suffer a worse fate, you ******* jackwagon!

View PostCementi, on 15 January 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

Deactivate all weapons while in the air. For 3 seconds after landing you shake the recticle like now to simulate the gyros compensating for the impact.

And you just killed jump brawling as collateral damage.

I have an idea. Why don't you just go to Sokar?!

View PostYeonne Greene, on 15 January 2017 - 10:32 PM, said:

Food for thought: removing pop-tarting completely utterly destroys the utility of certain 'Mechs...like the Mist Lynx. I'm not even talking about PPC pop-tarting, but the bouncy brawling type of play it does with SRMs and cSPLs.

What can I say? Some people are oblivious to the collateral damage of their actions. Hell, the end of the world just might come sooner than expected because a lunatic was voted in to take over control of the nuclear button ... and by a minority at that!

Edited by Mystere, 15 January 2017 - 11:13 PM.

#64 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:28 AM

Q: HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT ALL THE POPTARTING?

A: No problem at all. A non-issue.

#65 Duke Nedo

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:52 AM

I think poptarting is in a good spot right now. Thanks to the slow lift of JJs there is more time to hit them back now that it used to be during the pogostick era... now its pretty good imo.

If you want to make it a little bit harder I'd vote for a very minor slow sway of the reticule while falling. The shots should still hit the center of the crosshairs, but the crosshairs them selves would drift a little. I would also replace the current Parkinson bounce when JJing with a larger and faster sway mentioned above. That way you can still hit things both going up and down, but at different difficulties.

If you really want to mess with things you could change the agility while airborne. For example, twisting in mid air should turn your legs as much as your torso (or more due to different masses) in opposite directions and turning should not be possible at all... :) it would make sense but would probably make for horrible gameplay... :)

#66 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:53 AM

View PostStar Commander Horse, on 16 January 2017 - 04:28 AM, said:

Q: HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT ALL THE POPTARTING?

A: No problem at all. A non-issue.

Don't listen!
Clans pop-tarting with their super duper OP 15 point ERPPCs is totally unbalancing the game!
The Loyalty Summoner is ruining everything, and I demand something be done to give give the IS some sort of chance to answer this horrific lack of balance.

The only solution is to give the Thunderbolt 9S jump jets...and the K2! Oh and maybe some PPC quirks on the Quickdraw 5K...Oooo, maybe the Grasshopper 5P as well. And hey and while your at it maybe give the Black Knight with the ERPPC quirks some nice shoulder mounts...hell, better give it some jump jets too. Aww screw it...

The ONLY SOLUTION to this horrid inequity is all MY mechs be given jump jets and PPC quirks, and lots of shoulder height weapons mounts. Its the only feasible way to save the game! Get on it PGI. For all our sake.

#67 Duke Nedo

• 2,184 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:55 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 16 January 2017 - 04:53 AM, said:

Don't listen!
Clans pop-tarting with their super duper OP 15 point ERPPCs is totally unbalancing the game!
The Loyalty Summoner is ruining everything, and I demand something be done to give give the IS some sort of chance to answer this horrific lack of balance.

The only solution is to give the Thunderbolt 9S jump jets...and the K2! Oh and maybe some PPC quirks on the Quickdraw 5K...Oooo, maybe the Grasshopper 5P as well. And hey and while your at it maybe give the Black Knight with the ERPPC quirks some nice shoulder mounts...hell, better give it some jump jets too. Aww screw it...

The ONLY SOLUTION to this horrid inequity is all MY mechs be given jump jets and PPC quirks, and lots of shoulder height weapons mounts. Its the only feasible way to save the game! Get on it PGI. For all our sake.

Heh, I agree but that's a balance problem and not a poptart problem...

#68 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:11 AM

View PostDuke Nedo, on 16 January 2017 - 04:55 AM, said:

Heh, I agree but that's a balance problem and not a poptart problem...

Whatever. As long as the whining get me more jump jets, its cool. :)

#69 N E R E V A R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 111 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:33 AM

For all those wanting IS jumpsniper, buff highlander jumpjets thrust speed and let it run 3ppcs without ghost heat.

#70 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:37 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 16 January 2017 - 04:53 AM, said:

Don't listen!

The ONLY SOLUTION to this horrid inequity is all MY mechs be given jump jets and PPC quirks, and lots of shoulder
height weapons mounts. Its the only feasible way to save the game! Get on it PGI. For all our sake.

Youngster, no more sugar for you tonight :P

And no, popp tartin is not OP. But a few weapon and jump jet buffs for some Inner Sphere mechs (Thunder Bolt!) would be cool.

#71 Buster Machine 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • 224 posts
  • LocationRepping TharHes Industries on a laptop

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:18 AM

The IS needs pop-tarting mechs that are on the same level of the clan poptarts.

#72 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:20 AM

View PostDr Genocide, on 16 January 2017 - 06:18 AM, said:

The IS needs pop-tarting mechs that are on the same level of the clan poptarts.

See! Jump Jets for the 9S or riot!

#73 Buster Machine 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • 224 posts
  • LocationRepping TharHes Industries on a laptop

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:25 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 16 January 2017 - 06:20 AM, said:

See! Jump Jets for the 9S or riot!

Or make a new poptart variant for existing mechs which is doable since PGI controls battletech canon now.

#74 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:17 AM

Rifleman 8D has JJs. The Warhammer 5L and 9D also have JJs.

#75 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:19 AM

I'm still salty that this meta POS ruined jumpjets and thus directly nerfing the SDR-5V (which is already bad as it is with only 2 energy hardpoints)

#76 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:32 AM

Poptarting isn't close to where it was three or so years ago. Back then, velocities were high enough (and other weapon systems weak enough) to ensure a low enough skill floor so anybody could do it. Today, you only really see poptarting from players with high skill or specific interest in the challenge.

No, if there's a problem with MWO generating same-y, repetitive gameplay — it's still the 50-plus-point peek game, the current skill-floor favorite.

Edited by East Indy, 16 January 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#77 Xocoyol Zaraoul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 178 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 15 January 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

the fact that you are only allow to fire the weapons from ONE component with jumping under the same system.

That's a house rule someone convinced you to use, every iteration of TT did not have this rule, nor is this present in any video games nor published dead tree novels in the franchise.

Edited by Xocoyol Zaraoul, 16 January 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#78 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

You know, this could be fixed if JJs weren't kept in their current, awful state. That way, IS could have some of their old Poptart Kings back, like the Victor and the Highlander.....

#79 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostXocoyol Zaraoul, on 16 January 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

That's a house rule someone convinced you to use, every iteration of TT did not have this rule, nor is this present in any video games nor published dead tree novels in the franchise.

its from Tactical Operations pg 86- Firing On The Move... do not question me with your ignorance!!!!!

I mean seriously... you can NOT even shoot during the movement phase in any of the Basic Rulesets, you have to get to Advanced before you can do things we can do in MWO. So we are playing under Advanced Rules... which is where Firing On The Move is applicable.

Edited by I_AM_ZUUL, 16 January 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#80 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

The only times I've seen pop tarts they have been blown out of the air or have been legged. It's a slow even arc and if you have half a brain you can target and track easily.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users