BattleMechs

27 replies to this topic

#1 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Keeping in mind that any hero built with 'new' tech is entirely speculation, I present my attempt at a novel, but not 'Pay Wall OP' Urbanmech hero - The Turret King.

Posted Image

Speculation Tech Used
Light Autocannon 2 (LAC/2)
Light Autocannon 2 Ammo (LAC/2 Ammo)
Targeting Computer Mk. III

Quirks (Restricted to quirks categories that are slated to 'Survive' the Skill Tree)
Armor Bonus (CT): +10
Armor Bonus (LT): +7
Armor Bonus (RT): +7
Armor Bonus (LA): +5
Armor Bonus (RA): +5
Armor Bonus (LL): +7
Armor Bonus (RL): +7
Torso Turn Rate: 15%

Fluff (Quick and Rough)
Used as a test bed for the original Light Autocannons. Left laser arm replaced with a right ballastic arm. Targeting computer included to assist with calibrating the cannons and recording test data.

Rational/Explanation
Because of how simple the Urbanmech is, I found it difficult to do something truly novel, yet not Pay2Win, that didn't just include a little hard point bloat or weapon switching. Then I thought of a build I was considering if LAC/2s do get released, and figured 'Hell, what if we just split the difference rather then overloading one arm.' So while the mech is different from the regular Urbanmech, it doesn't really do anything a standard Urbanmech can't, besides being symmetric, which is arguably worse.

If I'm honest, I somehow doubt Light Autocannons are going to get released, but to hell with it, I'm having fun. And the TC... I'm assuming Targeting Computers are going to be roughly similar, ton and crit wise, to Clan models. This may not be the case, of course.

So, thoughts?

Visual Prototype (Also featured later in thread)
Spoiler

Edited by Bombast, 15 January 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#2 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

Thoughts?

Dear Support, i threw an entire bank at my screen and yet this hero was not deposited to my account. I'd like that bank back.

Yours truly, IS light player.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 15 January 2017 - 03:44 PM.

#3 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

Oh lord. I hadn't even thought about the fact that the IS had targeting comps by 3062. I have absolutely no clue if PGI is actually goign to give the IS them or not, but things could get... complicated if they do.

#4 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 15 January 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

Oh lord. I hadn't even thought about the fact that the IS had targeting comps by 3062. I have absolutely no clue if PGI is actually goign to give the IS them or not, but things could get... complicated if they do.

Why is that? Maybe if they were getting added pre-quirk, so weird stacking could occur, but now that all mech, Clan or Inner Sphere, are going to be able to 'spec' a mech, both should be able to also stack those benefits with a TC.

#5 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 15 January 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

...Wait... is PGI's plan to "fix" the IS Command Console issue to just introduce IS TC?

#6 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

View Postcazidin, on 15 January 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

...Wait... is PGI's plan to "fix" the IS Command Console issue to just introduce IS TC?

"You see, we realized that we have no bloody clue how to make it work, so we're not going to."

#7 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

Just trying to help myself visualize something.

Posted Image

Due to the fluff, I would like for the left ballistic arm to not be mirrored, but to be flipped, like it used to be a right arm. It kind of looks nasty, and it may have some negative affects on the build though.

What do you guys think?

Spoiler

Edited by Bombast, 15 January 2017 - 06:05 PM.

#8 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

View PostBombast, on 15 January 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

Just trying to help myself visualize something.

Posted Image

Due to the fluff, I would like for the left ballistic arm to not be mirrored, but to be flipped, like it used to be a right arm. It kind of looks nasty, and it may have some negative affects on the build though.

What do you guys think?

D.O.A the hard points are lower than the cockpit, everyone knows that P.G.I only make clan mechs with high hard points, while I.S ones are low and ..oh yes Urban mech with no IIC suffix.

Carry on my mistake Posted Image

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

Any Urbanmech hero that isn't The Deputy is heresy, no exceptions.

Also, expect Inner Sphere targeting computers to be inferior to Clan ones. Why? Because PGI inherited the TT rules that made IS MASC inferior to Clan MASC, and I don't expect TCs to be any different.

#10 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

View PostFupDup, on 15 January 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Any Urbanmech hero that isn't The Deputy is heresy, no exceptions.

Also, expect Inner Sphere targeting computers to be inferior to Clan ones. Why? Because PGI inherited the TT rules that made IS MASC inferior to Clan MASC, and I don't expect TCs to be any different.

Probably, but the question is in what way? This game doesn't use TT TC construction rules.

I just included what would be the 'standard' for a TT constructed mech like this. It may be less efficient per ton, maybe it will take more crits, maybe there wont even be a 3 ton version... just guessing at this point.

And I kind of figured the Deputy is everyones go to. Just figured I'd give it a shot - I like constructing mechs.

View PostCathy, on 15 January 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

D.O.A the hard points are lower than the cockpit, everyone knows that P.G.I only make clan mechs with high hard points, while I.S ones are low and ..oh yes Urban mech with no IIC suffix.

Carry on my mistake Posted Image

Urbanmech IIC

Posted Image

#11 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

You can still get extra tonnage by using Endo-Steel, as it only consumes 14 out of 17 empty slots you have.

Sincerely though, i'd rather have the RA-only ballistic, and have it on RAC2.

#12 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

Am I the only one that read it as "new tech hero urbanmech teamkill turret king?"

LAC2s would be fun as hell, though. I must admit.

#13 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

Ya lost me at AC/2 Posted Image

My 3 large laser Urbie is without at doubt the Turret King :)

#14 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 15 January 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

Am I the only one that read it as "new tech hero urbanmech teamkill turret king?"

Admission time... I started out calling it the 'King Urbie' as kind of a weird play on it being the '30 Ton King Crab' then thought the name was a bit redundant (All Urbies are Kings) so changed it to King Turret, and then I considered that most real equipment with a King name, like 'Sea King,' put the King second, and then I saw 'TK' and I said 'That's it, it's decided.'

#15 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

TC2? y u no moar ammo?

#16 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

View PostBombast, on 15 January 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

'Sea King'

That title needs to be reserved for a Clan Diamond Shark mech hero name. It'd be best for the Kingfisher, honestly. Though, if the Bane came first, I'd let it have dibs.

#17 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 15 January 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

TC2?

I have this weird thing where I like every 'canon' or official design to be TT compliant, even if that's not where it will ever be played. And with the weapons it carries, it get's a 3 ton TT computer, which in theory is a TC3 in MWO. Who knows, maybe an IS TC2 will weight 3 tons.

y u no moar ammo?

Ran out of tonnage. Cutting the SPL out is probably a decent move for more ammo, but I didn't want to do something weird like include energy hard points, but no actual energy weapons.

As Messenger said, you can always switch it to Endo-Steel for some more ammo as well. But again, it's just something weird for me - When I was building it, I was envisioning it as an older Urbanmech, press ganged into first testing, then into a combat role. As such, it didn't seem appropriate to give it stock endo-steel internals, as that hardly fits.

I also considered giving it SHSs, but I figured everyone would definitely jump down my throat on that one, so I went DHS just to spare the thread.

View PostRestosIII, on 15 January 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

That title needs to be reserved for a Clan Diamond Shark mech hero name. It'd be best for the Kingfisher, honestly. Though, if the Bane came first, I'd let it have dibs.

You're welcome to it. I was referring to the real life Sea King, and other military vehicles like it.

Posted Image

I'd save it for the Kingfisher, if you're going to take it.

Edited by Bombast, 15 January 2017 - 06:50 PM.

#18 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

View PostBombast, on 15 January 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

You're welcome to it. I was referring to the real life Sea King, and other military vehicles like it.
Spoiler

I'd save it for the Kingfisher, if you're going to take it.

I was hoping you were trying to reference that baby. Always loved those things. Honestly, I really need to figure out one of these days what slots and tonnage a Kingfisher would have so I can dream up a hero build for it, considering it's basically the only Clan Assault I'd be super hyped for outside of the Mad Cat MK II.

#19 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

Oh, now I see that it's a TC3, not a 2.

At any rate, what I was driving at is why a TC 3 for 3 tons instead of 3 additional tons of ammo?

#20 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 15 January 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

I was hoping you were trying to reference that baby. Always loved those things. Honestly, I really need to figure out one of these days what slots and tonnage a Kingfisher would have so I can dream up a hero build for it, considering it's basically the only Clan Assault I'd be super hyped for outside of the Mad Cat MK II.

Do you mean hard points? It's already got TRO sheets with it's crit and tonnage load outs.

Spoiler

View PostYeonne Greene, on 15 January 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Oh, now I see that it's a TC3, not a 2.

At any rate, what I was driving at is why a TC 3 for 3 tons instead of 3 additional tons of ammo?

I just liked the idea of it having a targeting computer.

I know this thing isn't the absolute best optimized build it could be, but I don't usually come at mech design from that perspective. I try to let my own head fluff influence the design, and it just made sense to me to but a TC on what was initially a testing mech. I dunno.

Maybe how I do things would be more obvious if you'd seen some of the ugly pigs I've made over on the HBS Battletech forums.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users