In The Entire Lore Of Mechwarrior, What Are The Best Mechs? And What Is Your Favorite Mech?

59 replies to this topic

#21 Kasumi Sumika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 16 January 2017 - 09:34 PM, said:

Well, lets see, Bane has 14 ballistic slots. Each MG array holds 4 MGs. That totals to 56 MG total.

Each MG Array takes 5 critical slots, assuming you go for the full four MGs on each one. You're not gonna fit 56 MGs there.

Each arm will max out at two MGA-4. The right torso will max out at two MGA-4 and two standalone MGs. The left torso does not have any hardpoints. Thus, you have a total of 26 MGs at the end of the day. Still a lot, but not nearly as crazy as 56.

Furthermore, consider that the Bane will have a maximum of 51 possible critical slots if you don't use Endo or FF or XL. It's not even possible to have 56 MGs regardless of hardpoint setups. You didn't do your homework. Posted Image

Edited by FupDup, 16 January 2017 - 11:04 PM.

#23 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:05 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 January 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

Each MG Array takes 5 critical slots, assuming you go for the full four MGs on each one. You're not gonna fit 56 MGs there.

Each arm will max out at two MGA-4. The left torso will max out at two MGA-4 and two standalone MGs. The right torso does not have any hardpoints. Thus, you have a total of 26 MGs at the end of the day. Still a lot, but not nearly as crazy as 56.

Furthermore, consider that the Bane will have a maximum of 51 possible critical slots if you don't use Endo or FF or XL. It's not even possible to have 56 MGs regardless of hardpoint setups. You didn't do your homework. Posted Image

Depends on how PGI implements MG arrays as well. They might just be lazy and rig them to behave similarly to engine heatsinks.

#24 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:06 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 16 January 2017 - 11:05 PM, said:

Depends on how PGI implements MG arrays as well. They might just be lazy and rig them to behave similarly to engine heatsinks.

If they did that then I'd imagine the MGA would grow in size by one slot for every MG you drag and drop into it. The "Array" item itself takes up one slot.

However, I'd expect PGI to just have them as entirely separate weapons for each size of MGA (MGA-2, MGA-3, MGA-4) rather than a drag-and-drop system.

Edited by FupDup, 16 January 2017 - 11:07 PM.

#25 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:14 PM

Probably going to have to go for the Inner Sphere as far as mechs in this game; The Mauler, The Black Knight, The Griffin, and lastly the Locust (top mechs for IS). As for clan I'd say Kodiak, Timberwolf, Stormcrow, and then the Arctic Cheetah.

But for one of the ones that I loved and remember the most was the Thanatos, a 75 Inner Sphere Omnimech.

Posted Image

Just listen to this variants loadout, the 4T I believe:

"This Thanatos variant uses a lighter engine that reduces the top speed to 64km/h. It also replaces the extended range lasers with four Medium Pulse Lasers. It also carries the MRM-20, Guardian ECM Suite, and C3 slave of the standard Thanatos, but its main hitting power comes from the LB 20-X autocannon in the left arm. It mounts four jump jets, enough to cover 120 meters at a time."

it may be slow, but it's one hellva brawl mech. throughout MechWarrior 4 series, I encountered and used them, particularly the one mission where you must save a medium Lance from a pair of bushwhackers and Thanatos, as well and fight another Lance of them later is seemingly terrifying, especially when the pair of them have their sights on you. those lb 20s just eat you up. and if they can't hit you with that, their MRMs will.

Also #MRMs For new tech!!! :>

#26 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:16 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 16 January 2017 - 11:14 PM, said:

But for one of the ones that I loved and remember the most was the Thanatos, a 75 Inner Sphere Omnimech.

The Thany was actually turned into a Battlemech for its final production. That's how variants change engines. If it was an Omni it would always have the same engine size and type.

#27 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:22 PM

For lore here are my picks for most feared/respected IS mechs:

Assault: Atlas, King Crab. Atlas for being nigh-unkillable, King Crab for being able to kill anything with 2 AC 20.

Heavy: Warhammer, Black Knight. Warhammer for being an inner sphere mainstay and powerhouse since forever. Black Knight is an extremely rare, highly advanced SLDF mech made to be the ultimate heavy battlemech. The quintessential "clan buster."

Medium: Shadow Hawk, Bushwacker. Shadow Hawk is a well rounded command mech. The Bushwacker reverse-engineered clantech that kicked Clan ***.

Light: Locust, Urbanmech. Cheap as dirt yet effective you will find them absolutely everywhere in the known galaxy regardless of House, IIC, or otherwise.

#28 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:32 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 January 2017 - 11:16 PM, said:

The Thany was actually turned into a Battlemech for its final production. That's how variants change engines. If it was an Omni it would always have the same engine size and type.

originally built as an omni, made into a battlemech.

better for me then anyways should it reach MWO's path. won't have to deal with a locked XL engine :>

Because if IS get Omnis with locked engines, and still the current set of rules for IS XLs....

D:

#29 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:34 PM

I grew up on The Saga of The Gray Death Legion.

Marauder.

#30 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

The very best Mech?
The Ryoken III Skinwalker - you can't find any Mech in the whole CBT Franchise that has a better mix of mobility armor and firepower - and the best you can eject as a BattleArmor.

Best Faction? Republic of the Sphere Posted Image

#31 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

View PostTrunok, on 16 January 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

I mean in combat efficiency, looks, story, etc... i'm not familiar with the lore, i'm just curious to see the most popular mechs :D

It really depends on the author. The Marauder was the big deal in the first grey death legion book. The Phoenix Hawk always was written as extremely good. Kai's Yen Lo Wang Centurion was feared although that was always attributed more.to the pilot I think than the mech itself. Archers were popular. Anything Kurita probably had a Dragon.

Clan side the Dire Wolf and Timber Wolf were the heavy hitters. Wolfhound was famous for Kell. The Summoner had some fame for Aidian Prydes antics.

Your question doesn't really have a stait forward answer.

Edited by Karl Marlow, 17 January 2017 - 12:04 AM.

#32 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:13 AM

The Templar is generally considered in lore to be an excellent mech.

#33 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:27 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 16 January 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

I always like 'Mechs which have good tactical flexibility like this instead of just brute firepower.

The Mad Cat Mk. II has reasonably fast speed for an Assault, can jump, while stiil being able to deliver decent firepower.

It should have been a 85 tonner, though.

And this is also the reason the Highlander was my first Assault, back when it's the only Assault which could jump.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 17 January 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#34 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:46 AM

I'm old. I only knew stuff from TT up to TRO 3026. So many favorites from those days. Shadow Hawk and Victor (I really wish we had the TT Victor in this game Posted Image ) are up there but nothing was cooler to me than the Thunderbolt with that giant can of missles on its shoulder and the massive sunglow large laser strapped to its arm.

When I discovered the video games in college, I loved the Shadowcat and Vuture. But, the later especially just had an esthetic that really appealed to me.

In this game I decided to try and bring a little role play to it and chose to be an IS loyalist with the Quickdraw as my mech of choice. No reason other than that its ugly, its unloved, its the only IS heavy that feels even a bit agile. I hope PGI is done nerfing it. If I could go back in time to the poptart days and my original account I would have said Cataphract 3D.

#35 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:51 AM

Best overall mechs in universe? I'd have to say Timber Wolf, she was a game changer. Speed of a medium, fire power of an assault mechs and the armour of a heavy mechs....

My personal favorite, well it's hard to pick just one... But the Warhammer WHM-6R and the Phoenix Hawk PHX-HK-1 LAM. The Warhammer has enough punch to make Assault mechs hesitate to engage it, while the Pixie's got speed and agility in spades....

#36 Cupid and Psyche _

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts
  • LocationUnion DropShip

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:54 AM

Actually, the Awesome was a feared 'mech pre-clans.

Also, I like the Shadowcat.

#37 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

Lore be damed. Lore is the excuse used to nerf the hell out of this game. Best mech is the one that got me into mwo and battle tech: The Catapult.I bombed my way though mech commander one and two with it and through closed beta in mwo. CB looked better amd didn't have clans or 50+ alphas insta killing mechs or require "quirks" just to use a ppc.

Posted Image

#38 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

Posted Image

I wan this guy. Could be the Star Wars AT-ST fan in me but i love the look of this guy.

#39 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

Zeus in lore was a beast

#40 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

The best mech is subjective in the battletech universe. One can argue that Aidan Pryde and his Summoner/Timberwolf were the best mechs at the time. I don't think there is a simple answer to this since it's really the pilot that can make or break the mech. However, I can argue that clan battlemechs seem to really shine in the dark ages since more and more houses/factions were putting them in the front line and were finally realizing their true potential.

Hands down the Rifleman IIC is my favorite mech and will always be. Grew up with it in Mechwarrior 2 and realized how good it was on TT over time (It was even banned from use in some tourneys back in the day). Haters try to nitpick and bash it, but they always fail to come up with reasonable arguments every time it's brought up in threads (It's slow and it has a stupid hat radar dish IE). I love this artwork and I'm not gonna stop spamming it at PGI either until it gets in game. Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

And while you are busy laughing at it's sombrero, this is your mech across the battlefield. Looks can be deceiving ya know. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 17 January 2017 - 01:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users