In The Entire Lore Of Mechwarrior, What Are The Best Mechs? And What Is Your Favorite Mech?

59 replies to this topic

#41 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

Dire Whale is very strong in the novels. Victor rode his Prometheus from 3050 til the end of Fed Com Civil War.

My favorite mech is Archer.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 January 2017 - 12:02 AM.

#42 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:13 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 17 January 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

The best mech is subjective in the battletech universe. One can argue that Aidan Pryde and his Summoner/Timberwolf were the best mechs at the time. I don't think there is a simple answer to this since it's really the pilot that can make or break the mech. However, I can argue that clan battlemechs seem to really shine in the dark ages since more and more houses/factions were putting them in the front line and were finally realizing their true potential.

Hands down the Rifleman IIC is my favorite mech and will always be. Grew up with it in Mechwarrior 2 and realized how good it was on TT over time (It was even banned from use in some tourneys back in the day). Haters try to nitpick and bash it, but they always fail to come up with reasonable arguments every time it's brought up in threads (It's slow and it has a stupid hat radar dish IE). I love this artwork and I'm not gonna stop spamming it at PGI either until it gets in game. Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

And while you are busy laughing at it's sombrero, this is your mech across the battlefield. Looks can be deceiving ya know. Posted Image

Posted Image

Rifleman IIC was OP as **** because LPLs were OP as ****. And a single ER small.... cuz WTF why not.

I have a lot of respect for it, Endo and FF and JJs, plus BAP. It kept BV down by using STD engine and at 65 tons fit into most criteria for most tournaments and challenges. LPLs were stone cold brutal at chewing through Elemental stars from beyond the range they could engage and with the LPL accuracy bonus you were very, very likely to drop 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 shots on a mech at 10 pts a pop, enough to end most fights before you were worse than -1 movement.

Slow, sure, but the thing wins trades vs mechs half again its weight in anything close to its range bracket.

Any LPL boat is munchkin as hell.

#43 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

All time fav?

Posted Image

I guess the quote can be applied here

"Though I charge into the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil - for I am driving a house-sized mass of '**** you!'"

Edited by Shiroi Tsuki, 18 January 2017 - 03:05 PM.

#44 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

well Yen Lo Wang was nigh invincible even with multiple pilots ( Justin , Kai, Thomas amongst notable pilots ).

but then as per writers choice, Kai did die to a stray missle shot to the head.

so Lore is based on writer choices, i am betting even the worst build here in MW:O would be written into god like status based on some scribes preference.

#45 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:12 AM

View PostBloody, on 18 January 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

well Yen Lo Wang was nigh invincible even with multiple pilots ( Justin , Kai, Thomas amongst notable pilots ).

but then as per writers choice, Kai did die to a stray missle shot to the head.

so Lore is based on writer choices, i am betting even the worst build here in MW:O would be written into god like status based on some scribes preference.

Kai became the Reaper incarnate - although i really don't know how he managed almost to kill a whole company of Death Commandos on its own. Hey his YLW had a Gauss and LRMs at this time.
If it wasn't a missile he the burning rage and the mental illness would have given him a different end, without glory

#46 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:25 AM

my all time favorites are the Timber Wolf and Dire Wolf.. altho, in MWO, I don't even own a direwolf.. simply toooo slow...

#47 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:08 AM

My love of the Summoner and Sunder are probably well known on this forum by now, so I'll focus on several others I like:

Hellhound (MW4)
Spoiler

very effective medium, and it looks so much better than the original unseen design

Canis
Spoiler

Weapon loadout is nice, plus this mech just looks beastly, one of the best looking second line clan mechs.

Templar
Spoiler

Another favorite from MW4, If I wasn't in a Hellhound in campaign, I was probably piloting this.

Raptor II
Spoiler

let's see: MASC, Angel ECM, Variable Speed Pulse lasers, and Void Signature System, not only does this mech have some seriously scary close range weaponry, but it also has the means to get in close enough to use them. A very effective ambusher.

Great Turtle
Spoiler

with 40 tons of hardened armor on a quad chassis, this thing can survive abuse that would kill mechs like the Atlas, King Crab and Archangel several times over

#48 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:20 AM

My intro was MechWarrior 2. And my favourites in that were the Timber Wolf, Mad Dog, Marauder IIC, Warhawk and Direwolf. I know that's a long list, but boy do I still love them the most after all this time. Call me shallow but it was based on how they looked more than anything.

Right now I'm leaning towards the MAD-IIC as my ultimate favourite, even though the modern rendition looks nothing like the lanky MW2 version, its a damn great looking mech that also performs at an ungodly level without a single quirk to help it.

#49 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:39 AM

It's kind of impossible to answer the first question, of course. It's like asking whether an axe is better than a sword. Better at what?

However, the correct answer is that the Axman is the best mech of all time, because it has jump jets, lasers, missiles and a big axe. It's also my favourite mech, as it happens.

Honourable mention goes to Rifleman IIC, because it has a Samurai straw hat, and that is so metal.

Posted Image

#50 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:51 AM

Well in the lore fluff the Shadow Cat wasn't supposed to have lost a fight until Tukayyid.

The Timber Wolf was supposed to be the perfect balance of speed protection and firepower, it's also the poster mech of the Clans.

Inner sphere mechs on fluff while there isn't anything as specific, I'd lean towards the Battle Master, and the Atlas.

As both were designed in their first days to be the most powerful, and impressive mechs to roll of a production line.

I missed answering the second part so here it is

My Favourites are the Victor, and the Battle Master, though I don't like either rendition in M.W.O.

Also huge favorites are the War Hammer and the Shadow Hawk, out of the four as in game models the Shadow Hawk is best

Edited by Cathy, 19 January 2017 - 02:56 AM.

#51 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:58 AM

View PostTristan Winter, on 19 January 2017 - 02:39 AM, said:

it has a Samurai straw hat, and that is so metal.

Probably literally metal, straw is IS technology.

#52 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:27 AM

Well, if I had to choose One battlemech that I just love. It would be Either the Cyclops or the Atlas.

But that's for the IS.
For the Clans.

Mad Dog. or at the limit, Dire Wolf.

Edited by KuroNyra, 19 January 2017 - 03:29 AM.

#53 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:53 AM

This is tricky and really depends on context.

One one hand you might simply pick some biggest and baddest late-era machine. One which packs the most and the latest weapons, like the Kodiak in the MWO point in timeline. But once you step outside MWO into campaign play, stuff like role warfare and cost effectiveness are a thing. And you might consider only a specific point in timeline.

(Engage lore nerd mode.) For example, if I limit myself to roughly the 3025 era, I might make a case for the Locust 1V.

First remember that 'mechs are actually really rare -- some tens of thousands in total, distributed across ~2000 inhabited worlds in the Inner Sphere. This means that depending on where you work, your typical opposition is not 'mechs but more commonly stuff like infantry, light vehicles, and maybe an old rust-bucket light tank. Also, there's a hell of a lot of recon work to be done on all the sparsely populated backwoods planets.

This in mind, I'd argue the Locust is an incredibly good design. First, with dual heavy machine guns and a medium laser, it's an incredibly scary foe for an infantry man. Yet it's cost-efficient -- you really don't need much more to fight infantry and light vehicles.

Statwise it's very well optimized for an old stock 'mech: it's about as fast you can feasibly be, it has maximum armour for the weight class, the anti-infantry MG's are placed in arms giving a broad firing arc, while the hole-puncher (ML) is well protected in the CT.

So Locust. It's not the biggest or the baddest, but it's the best in that it's "important": cheap, reliable, and does a hell of a lot of all the work out there.

Posted Image

#54 Skipmagnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:25 AM

Best? Utterly subjective. Favorites? Solitaire, Owens and Firefly. Just look at the buggers, and you too will fall in love. Most Lynx gets a very close fourth.

#55 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:51 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 17 January 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

The best mech is subjective in the battletech universe. One can argue that Aidan Pryde and his Summoner/Timberwolf were the best mechs at the time. I don't think there is a simple answer to this since it's really the pilot that can make or break the mech. However, I can argue that clan battlemechs seem to really shine in the dark ages since more and more houses/factions were putting them in the front line and were finally realizing their true potential.

Hands down the Rifleman IIC is my favorite mech and will always be. Grew up with it in Mechwarrior 2 and realized how good it was on TT over time (It was even banned from use in some tourneys back in the day). Haters try to nitpick and bash it, but they always fail to come up with reasonable arguments every time it's brought up in threads (It's slow and it has a stupid hat radar dish IE). I love this artwork and I'm not gonna stop spamming it at PGI either until it gets in game. Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

And while you are busy laughing at it's sombrero, this is your mech across the battlefield. Looks can be deceiving ya know. Posted Image

Posted Image

Since the Rifleman is in we will likely get it eventually. It will also more than likely resemble what we have now Clanified and thankfully it is almost guaranteed to be sans stupid sombrero.

#56 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostMacClearly, on 19 January 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

Since the Rifleman is in we will likely get it eventually. It will also more than likely resemble what we have now Clanified and thankfully it is almost guaranteed to be sans stupid sombrero.

Well, then I just don't see what the point of making it is.

Posted Image

#57 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:16 AM

Best mechs?
My subjective answer would be Atlas and Victor.

My fav is in my sig.

#58 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:26 AM

Lore wise I would guess the Mad Cat / Timber Wolf.

OR

The Dire Wolf

#59 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

View PostBombast, on 19 January 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

Well, then I just don't see what the point of making it is.

Posted Image

Damn you. I'm tempted to use that as my signature now.

View PostTristan Winter, on 19 January 2017 - 02:39 AM, said:

It's kind of impossible to answer the first question, of course. It's like asking whether an axe is better than a sword. Better at what?

However, the correct answer is that the Axman is the best mech of all time, because it has jump jets, lasers, missiles and a big axe. It's also my favourite mech, as it happens.

Honourable mention goes to Rifleman IIC, because it has a Samurai straw hat, and that is so metal.

Posted Image

We need the great Yoshimitsu as the dedicated clan hero for the thing.

Posted Image

View PostMacClearly, on 19 January 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

Really hope Alex chooses the 1st pic above with the cybernetic cockpit head. I would still be fine with the reseen cockpit for it, but prefer the smaller cyclopish look with the single laser hard point mounted into it.

#60 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

Wait, ignore that...

View PostArnold The Governator, on 19 January 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

Damn you. I'm tempted to use that as my signature now.

Posted Image

Better.

Edited by Bombast, 19 January 2017 - 09:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users