#41 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:53 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 18 January 2017 - 02:38 AM, said:

Are you kidding me? Of all mechs you have to lurm boat, it's the King Crab, and the wrong variant too, 6 MG ain't worth **** -- you're screwed already once you're in range with your MG, LPL has too low of range to be a secondary direct-weapon, and just two LRM15As?

If you're going to run a shameless LRM boat, do it right: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d2c9fb36e7fd3cc

If you are doing any of this to a King Crab, you are a bad person. Like a truly awful human being.

#42 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:10 AM

Quad UAC 5 > Dual AC20

#43 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:33 AM

View PostMekShred, on 18 January 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

I absolutely love my King Crab, played right it can be fearsome on the battle field. Forget about using ac20;s, it too slow for that. However slap 6 ac2's on it and prepare for laughs. Nobody likes being hit non stop by ballistics. And, here a video of me having some fun in my King Crab. Take it with a grain of salt, but I LOVE IT Posted Image If ac2's arent your thing, insert 4 ultra ac5's

King Crab? Is that the 100 ton fatty my Jade Kite easily out-dakkas? I swear, if I can have a King Crab every time I beat it in a face staring contest 1v1, I'd have a regiment of that thing by now, never mind that Night Gyr is 25 tons lighter than King Crab. CUAC2s OP.

Edited by El Bandito, 19 January 2017 - 03:49 AM.

#44 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:46 AM

I havent used aking crab yet but I do love dakka. The problem looks to be low slung hardpoints as they just suck huge do key balls compared to chest and higher mounts. As well as IS ac20s have very slow travel speed and appauling range. I love my IS dakka but ive had to put down ac20s a while ago as they just dont offer anything that is useful ingame as it stands. High heat low range really slow projectile speed and the dps isnt even good. Would rather fit ac10s and at least have a bit of range and a lot more accuracy with the fastee projectiles.

#45 banana peel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:41 AM

King crab is - and will be at least for a while - my top performer IS assault, on level of KDKs except KDK-3. It lacks of structure/armor quirks to have a role in comp play, but for solo queue it's a brilliant and very fun to play mech.

As other king crab lovers, I could give some tips on it, but the important one you can extract from your own words. You say, it 1) has a huge ct 2) is very slow. Solution? Use big XL. 360XL for 100-tonner is a decent speed for an assault. That said there are good builds also for std350 and std335 (try to not go lower than 335 in solo queue).

-000: 6ac2
Boated ac2 are simply op for quickplay after heat buff. get some loong range free shots at the beginning of the match, then follow the pack and commit to pushes in the second line. If opponent shields and retreats - switch to another one, use your suppressive ability to protect your mates.
Unique option for the variant - 2uac5 + 2ac5 + 2ac2 - that cannot be done on a mauler. A little hard to play though and a little hot after ac5s heat nerf.

-000B: 2gauss + 3erlarge
Too common to give any tips. One of few IS gauss platforms that remains strong. Erl can be switched to regular ones - cant say there is one right answer now, after gauss nerf.
Another option for the variant - 4ac2 + 3lpl with XL340. Very big pinpoint burst dps.

-0000: 2lbx10 + 2lpl + 4srm4
Basically you wanna get in brawl with 3-4 mechs on each side, where your raw firepower can decide the whole match. But if the fight starts slowly, as usual for solo queue, you have a good midrange trading capability to survive for later push.
Another option, if you fear XL, would be plain 2lbx10 + 4srm4 with std350 or std340 and more DHS. You can lead a push and snapshot your 54.4 aplha every 2 sec for quite a bit. Cooldown is perfectly synced and 2 sec are enough to roll the return fire with your torso quirks.
People often consider atlas as a best IS brawler. But atlas is first and foremost a tank (one of the few in the game), while this variant of king crab has superiority both in offensive quirks and hardpoints.

Also i wanna say that king crab has very low profile for 100-tonner which leads to its "coming from nowhere" perk - perfect for committing pushes.

#46 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 695 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:28 AM

The King Crab is a terrible mech and its all because of its profile.
Its all CT and it has to expose it all to fire so it dies super fast.
Just get a mauler.

#47 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:33 AM

View Postbanana peel, on 18 January 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

As other king crab lovers, I could give some tips on it, but the important one you can extract from your own words. You say, it 1) has a huge ct 2) is very slow. Solution? Use big XL. 360XL for 100-tonner is a decent speed for an assault.

Despite having a pretty huge CT, I still cannot recommend going XL in an assault. The reason is that if you are being attacked primarly from the left or right side you will not be likely to get hit in the CT and the XL is just going to get you killed by an enemy off to the side that you perhaps weren't aware of. As a primarily medium mech pilot I laugh every time I XL torso check an enemy Assault and it dies.

At any rate, an STD 325 works well enough in pugs, at only 6 kph slower than a 360 it is hardly noticable.

#48 banana peel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 18 January 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

Despite having a pretty huge CT, I still cannot recommend going XL in an assault. The reason is that if you are being attacked primarly from the left or right side you will not be likely to get hit in the CT

So suddenly huge CT everyone is talking about is not a problem? You have to decide.
I have enough experience playing king crab in solo queue to say that it dies from ST while having CT _not_ cored in less than 10% cases. This survivability works for me, personally.

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 18 January 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

At any rate, an STD 325 works well enough in pugs, at only 6 kph slower than a 360 it is hardly noticable.

6 kph is "hardly noticable"? For a medium - maybe. For an assault it's decisive. Insert XL335 in a dire and watch them flood the queue.

#49 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

A good KC pilot is a force to be reckoned with.

#50 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

I would have honestly brought a King Crab if it could be zombied. Massive side torso + no CT/Head energy hardpoints is asking it to be a walking stick. Like what the others have said, you'd be better off with an AC/40 Jager

#51 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

View PostMacClearly, on 18 January 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

If you are doing any of this to a King Crab, you are a bad person. Like a truly awful human being.

True. But sincerely, if you're going to be a bad person, do it right.

#52 Cupid and Psyche _

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts
  • LocationUnion DropShip

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:35 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 17 January 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

Well, maybe a paradigm shift is in order? Maybe you're not supposed to protect the vulnerable torso, you're supposed to dish out the most damage in your ephemeral life? Posted Image

That's how i run it, sure i torso twist and arm shield to spread damage, but if nothing else works i simply fight to the death.

I admire your dedication to the King Crab, I genuinely do.

#53 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:53 AM

View Postbanana peel, on 18 January 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

So suddenly huge CT everyone is talking about is not a problem? You have to decide.
I have enough experience playing king crab in solo queue to say that it dies from ST while having CT _not_ cored in less than 10% cases. This survivability works for me, personally.

Krab's CT is a problem, but STs are also big enough for XL to be a problem. Krab is just that big. And the arms do little to shield the STs from the sides. It used to be less of an issue when you are using sniper config, but Gauss range got nerfed recently.

#54 Herodes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

View PostBombast, on 17 January 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

I despise mine with a fiery passion. One can, of course, squeeze performance out of it, but honestly, I find it hard to see where the fun of it is. There's challenge, and then there's intentionally grinding your soul to dust.

I love mine. I don't play anything else any more.

The fun is in the design. The look. It is gorgeous. Glorious.

And as I am a potato ... it doesn't matter anyway. I even put XLs in there more moar firepowa and better speed and still die the CT death most of the times.

Passion and dedication beat meta optimization every day.
:)

#55 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:35 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 18 January 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

A good KC pilot is a force to be reckoned with.

correction
a good pilot in any mech is a force to be reckoned with.

#56 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

I've run the AC2 design and the typical quad UAC5 that gets posted a lot. Both are decent but I haven't touched this beast in a while (so the new patch hasn't been something I've dealt with).

One thing that impressed me about the UAC5 crab (and really... the AC2 variant isn't much different in this regard. Is its ability to just light people up and make them pay attention to you no matter what they SHOULD be doing. Getting you *** loaded by a KC rolling 6 2's or 4 U5's is going to massively wreck your game. Love my KC, but I'm such a bad pilot in it. thanks to this thread... might be time to break them out again, between the Night Gyr and Marauders I've been getting the hang of fatmechs recently.

(Might also be time to buy into the atlas?)

#57 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

Marauder is not a fatmech...

#58 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

king crab is suck
cool design but crap mech

hey atleast it's faster then daishi

#59 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

View PostJudauAshta, on 19 January 2017 - 09:46 PM, said:

king crab is suck
cool design but crap mech

hey atleast it's faster then daishi

Lel.

#60 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:32 PM

To everyone griping about it being too slow you gotta run at least a x325 or larger engine in it or ya you will die quick. Try running at least a xl350 and you won't be too slow. The ct is so large that you dont have to worry about getting a side torso blown off.

Also the 2 ac20 crab in lore has LRMs and a ERLL for a reason, you unload your lrms on the way to the brawl staying in cover, then after your in range, and the enemy is already hurting just hold down the ac20s in left right fashion and youll see the enemy backing away, nobody wants to sit in front getting hit with 2 ac 20s going off, and if they do they pay the price.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users