97 replies to this topic

#81 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 19 January 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

Unless you were ever at the level of IHx, CJF, CSJ, or SR during the NBT-Mercs days, then you weren't really dominating. Being good in MWL wasn't a good sign of success given that most mid-tier teams from NBT dominated MWL ladder leagues when they played in them. I played during all of HC/MP3 and I certainly don't remember you, maybe Mag might since he and Glory played during the golden years of NBT-Mercs (they went under the names of Methos Furey and Tainted Glory back then).

Do joysticks have 30 buttons?

No, but you honestly going to tell me that AT THE TIME, meaning 1998, keyboard/mouse combo plays smoother than joystick/keyboard?

(well, maybe, I play mw3 in mouse/keyboard cause I couldn't buy a joystick. but i always imagined that cool factor of using a joystick and always wanted one)

Edited by razenWing, 19 January 2017 - 10:58 PM.

#82 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,536 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:59 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 19 January 2017 - 10:55 PM, said:

No, but you honestly going to tell me that AT THE TIME, meaning 1998, keyboard/mouse combo plays smoother than joystick/keyboard?

MW3 was a bit before my time, but I know from MW4 onward the keyboard/mouse combo was superior, and I'd hazard a guess that it was superior even in MW3.

#83 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 19 January 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

MOAR STOMPY?

Interesting...reminded me of Omega from way back in the day (1989). You had to write code to program your tanks to fight:

#84 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:42 AM

View PostDino Might, on 19 January 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

"Gaussian distribution," as in the distribution that is magnetically driven to incredibly high means, right? Posted Image

I do sometimes wonder if these people that hate RNG recognize the modeling virtue of different types of RNGs, that we are playing a computer game that is modeling physical objects and their interactions, and an RNG is the only feasible way to get any kind of realistic variation in such a modeled environment. We really need to teach more mathematics in schools...

Well, considering all the "balancing by feel" arguments I've have been seeing, I think much of the player base needs to be sent to re-education camps. Posted Image

#85 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:56 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 19 January 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

Do joysticks have 30 buttons?

Ahem!

Posted Image

And ahem!

Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 20 January 2017 - 03:59 AM.

#86 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:16 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 19 January 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

MW3 was a bit before my time, but I know from MW4 onward the keyboard/mouse combo was superior, and I'd hazard a guess that it was superior even in MW3.

I don't know about el cheapo setups, but something like a properly configured Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS + TQS or HOTAS Cougar was nasty. The thumb-accessible rotary dial on the throttle stick was the perfect control scheme for torso twisting as far as I was concerned.

That dial is one of those things I really miss on the newer HOTAS Warthog.

Edited by Mystere, 20 January 2017 - 04:26 AM.

#87 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:44 AM

View PostDino Might, on 19 January 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

This game has much more in common with the FPS genre than the Simulator genre, without a doubt. I hesitate to say it has any simulation type elements. Movement, aiming, and shooting are all simplified models with goofy physics (so many have complained as much, about hitreg, pebbles, perfect precision). What other elements are there to this game? Mechlab, I guess, but that kind of customization is found in other FPS games, too. Only so many variations of Lg Pulse/Med laser you are going to take...

Which is why this game is scene as a failure. This style of game doesnt function well as an FPS.

#88 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostMystere, on 20 January 2017 - 04:16 AM, said:

I don't know about el cheapo setups, but something like a properly configured Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS + TQS or HOTAS Cougar was nasty. The thumb-accessible rotary dial on the throttle stick was the perfect control scheme for torso twisting as far as I was concerned.

That dial is one of those things I really miss on the newer HOTAS Warthog.

You still used keyboard/mouse if you wanted to be good in MW4, regardless of how "nasty" a those joysticks were.

#89 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:05 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 20 January 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

You still used keyboard/mouse if you wanted to be good in MW4, regardless of how "nasty" a those joysticks were.

MWO's joystick support is just so terrible that even after using all the TARGET tricks I know, it's still nowhere close to as good as MW4's.

What stick/HOTAS did you use for MW3 and/or MW4? Did it have the rotary switch similar to the one on the TQS?

Given that I also use a Logitech G13 for gaming on the left hand, and a Logitech trackball on the right, my thumbs are probably more nimble than normal. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 20 January 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#90 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostMystere, on 20 January 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

What stick/HOTAS did you use for MW3 and/or MW4? Did it have the rotary switch similar to the one on the TQS?

I didn't use any, I just don't know of a single great player from those days that used joystick over mouse (I wasn't able afford a good joystick during those days, being adolescent and without a job n all). I DO know of someone that just used the keyboard (no mouse or joystick) but that's about it for off the wall control schemes.

#91 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 19 January 2017 - 10:55 PM, said:

(well, maybe, I play mw3 in mouse/keyboard cause I couldn't buy a joystick. but i always imagined that cool factor of using a joystick and always wanted one)

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 19 January 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

I was around before, during, and after that time so I will answer. Joysticks(and controllers) while often a lot of fun to use are and will continue to be inferior to keyboard and mouse for anything requiring multiple buttons and precision. MW3 did have a different targeting setup that made Joysticks that had a thumb stick more interesting, but even then it was more of an immersion thing than anything resembling a superior platform. I played both ways and there really is no comparison when it comes to performance. Flight sims are really the only thing where joysticks might hold any kind of advantage and even then I'm not so sure.

#92 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 20 January 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

Flight sims are really the only thing where joysticks might hold any kind of advantage and even then I'm not so sure.

Not even there, they don't. I was that guy playing War Thunder with a stick and it was hard-mode compared to mouse and I'm not new to playing games with the stick (Wing Commander represent!).

Joysticks are most effective when you can perform sweeping motions and fire volleys during the sweep. This works fine in a flight sim where a snap-shot from a pair of 20 mm cannons will tear a tail-plane off. It doesn't work so well with anything but ballistics in MWO, least of all lasers.

#93 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 20 January 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

Not even there, they don't. I was that guy playing War Thunder with a stick and it was hard-mode compared to mouse and I'm not new to playing games with the stick (Wing Commander represent!).

Arcade or simulation mode?

#94 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

View PostMystere, on 20 January 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

Arcade or simulation mode?

Simulation requires stick, IIRC, so it had to be Arcade. It was also hard-mode because, at the time the Axis had pretty much nothing good until you got into the Tier 3 planes while the Allies had that ridiculously powerful 12x .303 MG Hurricane. Jesus, that was broken.

I actually don't like how War Thunder handles looking with the hat-switch. I was actually performing just fine in Arcade with a stick, but trying to track the target using the hat was awful compared to its ancestor game, IL-2 Sturmovik 1946.

#95 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 20 January 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

I actually don't like how War Thunder handles looking with the hat-switch. I was actually performing just fine in Arcade with a stick, but trying to track the target using the hat was awful compared to its ancestor game, IL-2 Sturmovik 1946.

You're right about that one. As such, I'm actually thinking of configuring the HAT switch to emulate a mouse. Tweaking the rate of movement was a bi@tch the last time I tried something similar though.

Now I'm looking at the HTC Vive. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 20 January 2017 - 07:50 PM.

#96 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

View PostMystere, on 20 January 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

You're right about that one. As such, I'm actually thinking of configuring the HAT switch to emulate a mouse. Tweaking the rate of movement was a bi@tch the last time I tried something similar though.

Now I'm looking at the HTC Vive. Posted Image

You'll have to set it up somehow to re-center. I tried using the mouse in the left hand for looking around, but not being able to center again killed the idea quick.

Vive is a good option. I'm waiting for my next upgrade cycle before I dive into VR. I want all the bells and whistles.

#97 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

For the lack of a better phrase, auto-aim may not be the best way to express such a mechanism. I would think auto-centering would be a better way to describe it.

I should add, the mechanism can be a big aid for pop tart warfare, since all you need to so is lock on, jump, and fire, no need for time and effort devoted to aiming (and correction).

#98 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

Sorry, double posted.

Edited by Anjian, 21 January 2017 - 06:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users