#21 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 19 January 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that if it were to be against the CoC, it's the non-participation with a lot of mental gymnastics.

LRMers are able to get their own locks, just as every other pilots in the game, you are simply denying the advantage that they don't have to get locks on their own at your expense. As opposed of attacking the teammate intentionally in which you are putting your own team mate at a disadvantage.

Basically, the difference is that griefing actively disadvantages by affirmative action, while the scenario that you described is denying advantage by inaction.

I know a lot of people are thinking that LRMs are ******* ****, and they are at a bad spot i agree, but they are legitimate weapons that are able to carry their weight with proper use, so i doubt that PGI will consider bringing LRMs as Griefing due to the disadvantage it brings to the team.

Well we do agree on the action vs. inaction requirement of griefing.

My example of bringing lurms was sort of an extreme example and I don't believe doing it is griefing. It is however a really bad idea in FW unless you are in a group set up to support it.

#22 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

@ op
Griefing to me is someone bringing LRM boats for every drop in FW or for the 1 drop in scouting. Griefing is the LRM boat firing on my target while I am trying to take out his back and the "betty warning" that player gets causes my target to scurry away. Griefing is the inbound LRM spam from my team-mates that hits me as much as the light target I am engaged in the dance of death with.

#23 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

View PostAmsro, on 19 January 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

Griefing is when someone gets butt-hurt. Basically an over dramatization of a much deeper mental state; Grief.

Grief is the loss of someone or something causing emotional issues, the deeper the bond the harder the loss is on someone.

IMO Griefing comes from focusing too much energy on being the victim. Lower the ego down a couple notches and remember that it usually isn't personal. Posted Image

Not long ago there was a unit that put people on a kill list and every time they would run into a person on the list, they would team kill them. PGI intervened.

Some actions are serious enough that some sort of something should be done. I was tk'd by a guy today and two games later he tried it again and I killed him first this time. I am not going to report it cause I can't be bothered and it is isolated. However if someone did this to me every time I happened to be on their team I would most likely start recording and forward to PGI.

I think you can stretch the definition to fit all kinds of annoying behaviour, but I think I agree with you that the seriousness of the action should be considered.

#24 Puppy Monkey Baby

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

I think it's an arbitrary term that cannot hope to have a solid definition.

I mean, there's a general idea of what griefing entails, I guess. Obviously, doing things like shooting teammates (repeatedly until they die), shutting down your mech in the middle of battle (there's a legitimate tactic for this though; removing enemy missile lock and rapid heat dissipation), refusing to fire on the enemy, and so forth.

I know when I go into LRM mode with my Dire Wolf I seem to invariably drop with people who refuse to hit the "R" key at all, and when they do I lose the lock just as I press the button to fire my LRMs. But surely it's not grief?

I've spectated dozens of players who refuse to target lock the mech they're shooting at. I get it, they're in the heat of battle and don't have time to think about that. I've done it.

So yeah. I'll go hang out with my Viper and ask it some questions now.

#25 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

Calling for Clans to be balanced with IS by making IS engines not detonate when they lose a side torso is griefing to me.

#26 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

IMO, griefing would involve VOIP harassment. A few months ago, this happened to me with a "well-known" MWO player and streamer. He kept cussing me out verbally during a match. Fortunately, he's banned now.

#27 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

View PostMatt2496, on 19 January 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

IMO, griefing would involve VOIP harassment. A few months ago, this happened to me with a "well-known" MWO player and streamer. He kept cussing me out verbally during a match. Fortunately, he's banned now.

Lol.... really? I can take a guess at who it was....

325?

#28 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 19 January 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

Lol.... really? I can take a guess at who it was....

325?

Yep.

#29 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

View PostMacClearly, on 19 January 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

Not long ago there was a unit that put people on a kill list and every time they would run into a person on the list, they would team kill them. PGI intervened.

Some actions are serious enough that some sort of something should be done. I was tk'd by a guy today and two games later he tried it again and I killed him first this time. I am not going to report it cause I can't be bothered and it is isolated. However if someone did this to me every time I happened to be on their team I would most likely start recording and forward to PGI.

I think you can stretch the definition to fit all kinds of annoying behaviour, but I think I agree with you that the seriousness of the action should be considered.

How one person gets on this type of list should also be considered, to a degree. Posted Image

#30 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

By the Argument in the OPs first post in this thread, isn't not shooting at the enemy every single time you see them also a form of greifing?

Because you are not shooting at them, you are deliberately hurting your team by withholding damage on the enemy and allowing them more opportunity, via extended lifespan, to damage your team mates. As such you are griefing your entire team, not just LRM players!

Of course that argument just sounds stupid because it is. Bombast nailed it;

View PostBombast, on 19 January 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

Griefing is player behavior that's sole purpose is to aggravate other players. That's it.

I find it strange we need a thread for that.

Nighthawk finishes it up nicely;

View PostNighthawK1337, on 19 January 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

I'd define Griefing as something you do as opposed to something you neglect to do.
There is no downside to acquiring locks but deliberately not getting one is Negligence.
Alpha the backside of your team mate, that's Griefing.

Griefing is generally accepted to be an intentional action done for the purpose of creating chaos, not a lack of action on a players part.

#31 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

If intentionally not holding locks for an LRM boat is griefing, is an LRM boat intentionally not getting its own locks also griefing?

If so, to avoid grief, the LRM boat should get its own locks.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 19 January 2017 - 07:53 PM.

#32 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:13 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 19 January 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

If intentionally not holding locks for an LRM boat is griefing, is an LRM boat intentionally not getting its own locks also griefing?

Sometimes it is not possible in CW, where the entire team is crowded in a firing line. Much better to have the direct-fire mechs to spot the enemy and shoot, while the Lurmers support from behind.

#33 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

Hum... This thread got created, and I already have so much catching up to do.

Seeing some of the responses here so far has been... interesting to say the least. But I don't think my reasoning/stance was understood.

Before I get to responding, here was my stance:
Griefing is an intentional action(s) with an intent to hinder another player (teammate to be specific, but can sometimes apply to the enemy), rather that player/target actually knows or understands that s/he is being griefed or not.

My examples would be:
- A player that normally gets locks intentionally doesn't only because LRMs are on their team, and they don't wish to support a "potato". (thanks for the quote from the first page. Lets just call people names now?)
- Purposefully breaking a lock as soon as the incoming LRM indicator appears, rather line of sight was lost or not, with the sole intention to hinder their LRM teammate's performance/game play.

This is not saying someone whom normally doesn't get locks not getting locks, or someone who doesn't change the way they they play. I'm talking about people who are intentionally going out of their way to purposefully "sabotage" another player's abilities, to some extent or another.

To be clear, no matter what we say here, I am by no means saying those people are breaking the CoC for the game, as we can't prove their intentions (for the most part) when they break or not get a lock. I'm also not talking about people who don't "hold locks till they die". (I have not and will never ask anyone to hold a lock so I can deal some extra damage. I and my team are each better off with more living teammates, who may be able to get locks later on, if not even help scrape an enemy off my back later. A dead spotter is useless to me.)

PS: Sorry for the late response. Work happened. I'll make responses per page of responses for the moment till I catch up. (If these were already covered, ignore.

View PostWillard Phule, on 19 January 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Huh. Not helping the potatoes is griefing. I think not.

First of all, nobody held a gun to your head and made you bring a build that requires the cooperation of others. If that's all you can use, then accept that you're a potato and just deal with it until you learn how to aim.

Griefing is retaliating when some goober that can't unzoom rips an alpha into your back because he "didn't see you." Griefing is dropping an arty strike at your own feet when you discover you can't move because the same potato has shoved you into a corner. Griefing is getting sick of being crowded so you decide to get behind the goober and give back a little of what he's dishing out.

OMG. We need maps with coloring books and diaper pins for these potatoes.

I'm not talking about "holding their hands and guiding them through", I'm talking about intentionally taking actions (or inactions in this case) that directly hinders their performance. I'm referring to the intent behind the (in)actions.

And, insulting a player who plays the game differently than you... Not overly cool. At all. Shall I refer to you as a try hard elitist scum now?

PS: You may actually wish to read the definition of "griefing". Unintentional actions is not griefing. Griefing is an intentional action to cause harm or otherwise disturb someone else's game play. Your first example (zoomed in too much and can't see you) is not an act of griefing. It's an act of negligence maybe, but no ill intent was intended (most likely) from the shooter.

View PostBombast, on 19 January 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

Griefing is player behavior that's sole purpose is to aggravate other players. That's it.

I find it strange we need a thread for that.

Well, so far the debate seems to be swinging each direction, just from the first page. So then, what is your opinion?

And recall, the best way to use LRMs isn't necessarily the way most people use them. (AKA: Stick with the team, and do try to get your own locks and share armor. And... bring backup weapons...) This doesn't mean you should necessarily exclude them and sabotage them.

View PostBud Crue, on 19 January 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

Griefing is an intent plus action crime.

actus reus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea

Rough translation: Being a {Richard Cameron} with the intention of being a {Richard Cameron} is griefing.

As to the OP:
Not holding locks cuz you forget or even because you just don't feel like it is fine. Not holding locks with the intention of harming someone's performance because you are a {Richard Cameron} may very well be griefing...but only in Canadian jurisdications. In most US jurisdictions you'd actually have to shoot the LRMer too...and even then with malice aforethought.

It's (in my opinion) griefing, but that doesn't mean it's the form that will actually get you in trouble. It also depends upon the intention behind the action (or inaction).

I guess you could relate this to a debate on if someone is hanging off a cliff, and you don't help them when you easily and normally could... Is it murder? That person died do to your intentional inaction. (Example is probably a poor example...)

View PostAmsro, on 19 January 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

IMO Griefing comes from focusing too much energy on being the victim. Lower the ego down a couple notches and remember that it usually isn't personal. Posted Image

Sometimes though, it is personal. I had a match once where, I'm not joking, most of my team refused to hold locks because I said I had LRMs. At first I thought they were joking about not holding locks, so I joked back and said "Don't make me get my own locks. You wont like me if I have to get my own locks." I was saying it in jest, but by the end of the match, I had to do exactly that. Funny part is, I actually did best on the team that match (a rare thing). So the joke ended up being on them.

(Mostly because I don't boat, I don't hang back, I get my own locks, and I always bring plenty of back up weapons, if not primary weapons with LRMs being my backup weapons.)

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 19 January 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

Bringing LRMs is griefing. Not holding locks is justice. Posted Image

I do hope you are joking... Hence the goofy face?

All depends upon how the LRMs are being used.

View PostClownwarlord, on 19 January 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

So from what I can read of this and understand the question is, "Is it griefing to not get locks for lrm boats?"

In short no. The reason why is because getting locks should come natural and if forced put your own mech at risk to ruin your game play. In other words the two sides will meet and you will get locks naturally and there will even be times when you have some one on your team purposely getting you locks (narc and tag for cbills). Then lastly you have a responsibility to gather your own locks and not just feed off your own team mates.

So ultimately no. Also if you are having issues getting locks in a lrm mech then you are probably playing it wrong. This usually happens because you as the lrm mech would choose to sit to far back to where you get picked out by lights or nascar. Or your lrm travel time is to long allowing the enemy to get to safety. Just because lrms have long range in their name doesn't actually mean they are to always be used at long ranges. They best work at 300 to 400 m. The reason is what I eluded to earlier because your missiles only travel so fast and so you are required to be closer to cut down on the time to travel to target. This also helps your team because some enemy fire might go into you which will save on your brawlers and traders armor allowing them to stay alive through shared armor.

The question (I have at least as my portion) is more so:
"Is it griefing to intentionally drop locks or not get locks, counter to what is your normal behavior in game, just to prevent LRM users from using said locks?" (With the presumption that you would, under the same situation without any LRM users on your team, get and hold the locks as a normal part of fighting.)

I'm not referring to the dropping of locks as a natural course of fighting and staying alive. I'm not even referring to not getting a lock you normally wouldn't get because of some reason (it's a snap shot, ECM, you have another target locks you want to track, etc). This is a "playing differently than you normally would, simply because LRMs are there and you go out of your way to not support them at all."

As for how to use LRMs, you wont find me disagreeing with you. I use LRMs normally (okay, almost exclusively) as a support weapon to a larger build. I also agree that LRM users should try to get their own locks. But, if the team helps as they move into direct line of sight, it helps not only the LRM users but also the whole team.

View PostNighthawK1337, on 19 January 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

I'd define Griefing as something you do as opposed to something you neglect to do.
There is no downside to acquiring locks but deliberately not getting one is Negligence.
Alpha the backside of your team mate, that's Griefing.

What if... you didn't get locks not out of negligence, but intentionally? That is my question (for the most part).

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 19 January 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that if it were to be against the CoC, it's the non-participation with a lot of mental gymnastics.

LRMers are able to get their own locks, just as every other pilots in the game, you are simply denying the advantage that they don't have to get locks on their own at your expense. As opposed of attacking the teammate intentionally in which you are putting your own team mate at a disadvantage.

Basically, the difference is that griefing actively disadvantages by affirmative action, while the scenario that you described is denying advantage by inaction.

I know a lot of people are thinking that LRMs are ******* ****, and they are at a bad spot i agree, but they are legitimate weapons that are able to carry their weight with proper use, so i doubt that PGI will consider bringing LRMs as Griefing due to the disadvantage it brings to the team.

My argument in this debate at the start was not if it was against the CoC, but if it would be considered a form of griefing. You can provide someone grief, without breaking the CoC.

LRMs are a utility weapon, and that utilty feature can be an advantage if a team/user will let it be. Sometimes, you've got to work with what your team has, not against it. (And no, to repeat, I'm not saying people should die for a lock for an LRM ally. But, it doesn't hurt to get and hold a single lock while you are fighting them, right? Should be a win win situation for the team then.)

As for the situation (which I know happens a lot, as it's happened to me more than I'd like to recall), it's the intentional not getting locks solely to hinder the LRM users on the team. It's an intentional inaction. (Does that make it an action of not doing it then?)

Okay, onto page two of responses! Posted Image

#34 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

Another novel for P. 2 reactions from me... Wished I could have been here from the start...

View Postnehebkau, on 19 January 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

@ op
Griefing to me is someone bringing LRM boats for every drop in FW or for the 1 drop in scouting. Griefing is the LRM boat firing on my target while I am trying to take out his back and the "betty warning" that player gets causes my target to scurry away. Griefing is the inbound LRM spam from my team-mates that hits me as much as the light target I am engaged in the dance of death with.

My question here would be... Was that their intention? Or was their intention instead to "being the best that I've got"?

For some people, they feel they do best with LRM boats. (I like my LRMs and I do well with them, but I personally never boat. I also use all weapons in the game, so don't think I play only LRMs either.)

It may feel like they are griefing you, but they very well probably are not. There is no intention to hinder your performance, even if they inadvertently do.

I feel the intent behind the action/inaction is where griefing comes in. Some of it is obvious, some of it is only known to the griefer...

View PostMacClearly, on 19 January 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

You do know you can easily and quickly report players right in game, right? Just find their name on the team list (press and hold Tab), right click on their name, and then select the option needed.

Odd thing is, if you protect yourself, someone can report you for TKing... and you can get the penalty. Though, you probably could argue self defense in this case.

View PostTLBFestus, on 19 January 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

Griefing is generally accepted to be an intentional action done for the purpose of creating chaos, not a lack of action on a players part.

But what about an intentional inaction? With the intent to cause the same results by that inaction? Being intentionally inactive in the game is a form of griefing (and against the CoC). That's just intentionally standing still (AFK), when you had full abilities to act.

So, can griefing in fact also be an intentional (not accidental or something that happens in normal play) act of inaction?

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 19 January 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

This response does not match the proposed question nor the discussion. I would call this a preparation to have a strawman fire... Replace intentional dropping or not getting locks just because there is/are LRM user(s) on your team with (closely worded) not holding locks and LRM users not getting their own locks...

I do hope this was not your intention here. Because, we never presented this as the question at all.

#35 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:53 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 19 January 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

Sometimes it is not possible in CW, where the entire team is crowded in a firing line. Much better to have the direct-fire mechs to spot the enemy and shoot, while the Lurmers support from behind.

OR just stand behind d the LRM boat and use him as a shield, likely forcing him to be more useful than he would normally be.

The last thing I'm thinking of when locking mechs is LRM equipped teammates. I'm having to work hard enough to carry them as it is. They've elected to make themselves less relevant to to team as it is. Intentionally not locking a target to spite a LRM boat is literally making the guy more directly impactful on the match and my play in particular than they would otherwise be. Why bother?

Play the match. Some people show up to kick ***, some people show up to get carried. Going out of your way to spite someone because they want carried is just increasing the load you've already got to carry.

#36 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

My opinion:
Griefing is doing any action on purpose that does not help the team win.
It is also:

- being selfish on the battlefield and putting your own personal glory above the team win.
- being a snide a-hole on voice comms or chat( or forums) . If people want to be snide a-holes, they need to do that face-to-face, not through the buffer of the Internet.

#37 GoatHILL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 399 posts
  • LocationA dark corner

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:40 AM

Bringing a 100ton LRM boat to my team is griefing IMO.

Too hell with that its griefing no matter whos team your on.

#38 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:32 AM

I'd say intentional teamkilling.

Bringing odd (like the above 100t LRM mech example) loadouts falls under trolling, not griefing.

Edited by Red Shrike, 20 January 2017 - 01:33 AM.

#39 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:44 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 January 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

OR just stand behind d the LRM boat and use him as a shield, likely forcing him to be more useful than he would normally be.

The last thing I'm thinking of when locking mechs is LRM equipped teammates. I'm having to work hard enough to carry them as it is. They've elected to make themselves less relevant to to team as it is. Intentionally not locking a target to spite a LRM boat is literally making the guy more directly impactful on the match and my play in particular than they would otherwise be. Why bother?

I got 1.84 WLR in 213 matches with my 8xLRM5 only ARC-5W, in solo-q. Due to Archer's super low cockpit, I often relied on teammates' locks. And since my average damage per game is 629--in 213 games--I can confidently say I made enough contribution towards the team's victory. In other words, those who actually held locks for me got close to 2:1 WLR when queuing with me in the solo-q, and those who didn't do so had fared less. Posted Image

One should not intentionally put oneself into dangerous situation just to get locks, but if one sees a lockable enemy and does not hit "R", that person is either a noob, or just griefing.

Edited by El Bandito, 20 January 2017 - 01:49 AM.

#40 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:00 AM

Locking a Target using "R" should be automatic...there are situations where it IS beneficial to NOT lock Targets, but those are really scarce .

Intentionally NOT locking a Target is mostly just plain dumb . Plus, it DOES put the Team on a disadvantage, since the Targets location is not revealed on everyone's MiniMap .

If its done with the intention to deny people on the Team information/locks, it can be seen as griefing . But really, I would rather put more emphasis on making those people understand "The R Button is you FRIEND my friend !" .

Generally, people who play MW:O for their personal Stats/achievements rather than supporting their Team winning, have not and will not ever grasp the biggest part of what this Game is about, and what it offers .

Edited by Besh, 20 January 2017 - 02:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users