• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

the Mechs and the loadouts I use is because I have to

my first few hours I played MWO taught me some valuable lessons
you see I was in my Jager and shot and hit a summoner it turned ran up to me and pounded my Mech into the ground

my thoughts were he was not even phased by my puny weapons "I better get a bigger gun"
I am not asking to win every battle but it would be nice if they at least ducked when I shot at them

#22 RoadblockXL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:39 AM

I usually drive my mechs with 30% cbill bonuses.

Some of them fall into the "meta": HBK-IIC-Prime, Nova-S, Black Widow, etc

Some not so much: UM-R63, EXC-C

I drive the "meta" ones because they perform well.

I drive the "not-so-meta" ones because I like how they look; the UM-R63(S) is the one of the best looking special variants in the game, in my opinion. Also, they each have a special trick that makes them fun; 360 torso twist and MASC, respectively.

#23 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

Light and Mediums for me for the most part!

I just suck in anything bigger then 55 tons it seems.

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostNatred, on 23 January 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

I just wanted to point out as well that some Mechs work better for individual people and fit their playstyle. For example I really like the hellbringer and ebon jaguars and how they handle.. could not stand how the mad dogs and summoner feel. With medium Mechs I like the shadow cat and nova, yet could not make the stormcrow work for me at all.

And conversely, no matter how meta I run them, I can't do squat in a Hellbie. Haven't played the Jag enough to form an opinion. And the MetaSummoner builds I don't click worth.

Give me a Mad Dog, or a near stock Summoner, or Gargoyle Prime and I do surprisingly well.

In the IS, I do fast better in VNDs than the metalords say is possible. I placed 3rd in theVND chassis leaderboard, and either second or third in the Hunchback.... Both with less than 8 hours of play time over the event. So I reckon that means I know a little something about their capabilities.

#25 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Mix of reasons for me.

Some, mostly clans like the Vulture, Black Hawk, Mad Cat, Daishi and cauldron-born, are nostalgia from MW3.

But most of my lights I pilot just because they're fast and fun (locusts, jenners, spiders) or because I'm one of those clowns who likes to do an occasional NARC build on my MLX (and just bought the Raven 3L as well). Urbs b/c urbs.

A couple, like the Maruaders and enforcers are more about aesthetics. I bought a rifleman last week for looks and am struggling with making it work.

And then there's the Highlander IICs, which I keep coming back to probably because they were my first assault. I think I like these so much simply because there's no "perfect" build that I can find. I'm always striving to post good numbers in them, and I think that's what really drives me.

I tend to play if not Hipster 'mechs, at least non-meta chassis or builds. Something that makes me reach every time I drop, to such an extent I feel guilty any time I take out my TBRs, KDKs, or EBJs.

#26 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

I'm partial to the mad dog/vulture because of MechAssault (laugh it up, I know it's a terrible title but I wrecked face online with it) and its other appearances in actual BattleTech titles.

That said, every time I play it in MWO, I am brutally reminded of how much bad geometry plays into a mech's performance. LRM mechanics blow and mad dogs are so incredibly easy to neuter in a brawl. It's only counfounded that "lrms op pls nerf" threads ensure the mad dog has terribly mediocre quirks for a 60 tonner. They're not good laser or ballistic platforms either.

At least a side torso lost doesn't kill it instantly. Poor dragon..

#27 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

My reason for playing certain mechs stem from taking personal pleasure in defying the meta and succeeding where others expect me to fail. For example, taking an Orion into group play, which most people consider tantamount to suicide. Even better, using the Mist Lynx D,which quite often draws some groans.

#28 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

I like to play a few different ones.

Summoner with 2x UAC5 (torso mounted) and 4x CERML because nobody respects the SMN and I like a challenge, but it tends to do surprisingly well.

WHK-B w/ LRMs because sometimes I just want to make my opponents rage on certain maps and gimp myself on others.

SHC-P 1x CLPL, 7x MG for the lulz.

DWF with 6x LBX5, also for the lulz.

KDK-3 when I am loosing too much on the others and need to feel better about myself.

#29 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

View PostLostdragon, on 23 January 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Summoner with 2x UAC5 (torso mounted) and 4x CERML because nobody respects the SMN and I like a challenge, but it tends to do surprisingly well.

Loyalty omni pods changed that

#30 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 23 January 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Yeah, I guess, I haven't got them and haven't seen anybody running them but I also haven't played much lately. I wouldn't change my SMN build if I had them, I have a PPC poptart already.

#31 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

There are certain mechs I play because I've always liked them in TT. Also lore in the novels piloted by certain main characters.

Hunchbacks and Summoners and Hellbringers were always my top 3. I've said it many times in the past as well.

I'm a Davion and Ghost Bear person from the lore and novels. So I tend to stick to those mechs as well but each side does have some ugly ones.

That being said, the mechs I've enjoyed have been the Kit Fox, Hunchbacks, Cicadas, Shadow Hawks, Griffins, Jagermechs, Summoners, Hellbringers, Mad Dogs, Storm Crows, Highlanders and Battlemasters.

I do have the Marauders and Crabs but have not played yet and plan to get the Warhammer, Archer, and Cyclops at some point.

#32 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 23 January 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

And then one builds gets them all nerfed!

#PGIwayORHighway

Edited by Revis Volek, 23 January 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#33 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

I go through phases.

In the past I've been a LRMisher. I run LRMs on a Catapult, up close and personal. I really like the A1 and Jester Catapults. And alternating LRM Catapults and the Jester, I got interested in mixed builds for direct fire mechs, because to LRMish well you have to have credible secondary weapons and the ability to get in, share armor, and mix it up. I ran Marauders and Riflemen for awhile, as I have an emotional connection to them from Multiplayer Online Battletech back in the day. I got into Wolverines when the 7D(L) came out, first because I wanted to level the free mech and then because I really liked the mixed build of the Quarantine, but I can't get quite enough jump out of them and XL engines are too squishy, though Quarantine rocks one pretty well.

Wolverines got me into medium mechs. I'd really started liking 60-ton IS mechs. Dragons, Quickdraws, Riflemen. QKDs need XLs..that a problem. So do most Dragons. And QKDs can jump...that is fun to be able to do. I tried assaults, and like Victors. I mastered all the Zeuses, and like the 6S®, my only Resistance mech, best, but then they made the Zeus monstrous and that was the end of that. But the fun was waning...because no jump jets. I did get Executioners...which taught me how to poptart. I tried the IIC Marauder because I like the IS version so much..but I don't click with it. I don't really gel with any Clan mech other than the prime Summoner, and Summoners are so meta they're getting nerfed. EBJs and HBRs hate me. I have one of each and haven't ever got the loyalty HBR out of mothballs because of the lack of fun the Cbill versions were for me. I know everyone loves them. I don't. That's just me. Your mileage may vary.

The Phoenix Hawk was another emotional tie to MPBT. But I didn't click with anything but the original PXH-1. I love it. It jumps high, runs decently fast, doesn't draw tons of aggro, and just fits. But I like having a LRM5 rack around for some indirect fire from time to time and I'm hoping for just a little more tankiness.

So. Right now I like IS mediums. I like speed, 80-100 kph that can hang with assaults and heavies to cover them and hunt lights. I like tankiness. I like jump jets. And I like standard engines for durability. I like a lot of armor. I also like mixed loadouts that include something with some mid to long range punch-a large laser or PPC preferred-some medium lasers for closer range brawling, and a LRM5 or LRM10 rack to toss a few LRMs over a hill when I can't see over it, or popLRM a little, and from time to time jump,up and nail the guy I'm shooting at with a large laser or PPC. So right now I'm running the Wolverine Q and 7D, Phoenix Hawk 1, and...leveling Vindicators.

#34 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

"For reasons."

1) I'll have fun and run whatever is not popular... but that's rare (I don't play enough to go this route).

2) I'll run a light... though it'll probably be the ACH (because every other Light sucks for the most part). If there's salt involved... well, I'm there.

3) I'll run whatever is the meta (at least close enough to it) because not contributing and not being effective at any point is just detrimental to the team IMO.

#35 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

I DO WHAT I WANT!

(for the most part)

#36 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:10 PM

View PostTercieI, on 23 January 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

I DO WHAT I WANT!

(for the most part)

Only until your overlords tell you otherwise...

:D :P

#37 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 23 January 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

A couple, like the Maruaders and enforcers are more about aesthetics. I bought a rifleman last week for looks and am struggling with making it work.

Try this RFL-3N and go full-ham on targets and to make all the C-bills. Try this 3N if you are a good shot and want to play a tankier Medium. Try this 3N if you like meta-cheese (I promise it runs frosty).

This is the only RFL-3C worth running, in my opinion.

#38 Kasumi Sumika

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

I just for the looks and appearance of mech design. Then make it with viable build without destroy it design aesthetically.

#39 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 23 January 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

Only until your overlords tell you otherwise...

Posted Image Posted Image

It's true. I do whatever the Meta Overlords tell me. That's how meta works. :P

#40 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

Posted Image

Only mechs I really run on a regular basis are mechs that I enjoyed in previous Mechwarrior titles. There are exceptions that I make just because I enjoy the lore behind them, or the factions that used them, but it's mostly nostalgia.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users