What Do You Think Of The Light Gauss Rifle?

98 replies to this topic

#81 Duke Nedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:32 PM

If we were not restricted by lore I'd do this:

1. Keep the same damage/ton efficiency as Gauss, i.e. 10 damage for 10 tons.
2, Keep the same drawbacks as Gauss, i.e. charge mechanics, weapon explosion
3. Keep the same benefits as Gauss, i.e. fast velocity, long range, low heat

In other words, a proper baby Gauss. Then it would fill a role. Anything else will just be surpassed by 2x AC2 if you go the DPS route, or by AC10 or any of the other combinations mentioned above if you go the no-charge-no-explosion-route.

#82 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:34 PM

Actually, I strongly feel that IS Gauss explosions should be removed or dramatically reduced (to, like, <20% chance) so you can bring them with isXL and not sign your own death warrant.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 25 January 2017 - 11:34 PM.

#83 Duke Nedo

• 2,184 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 January 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Actually, I strongly feel that IS Gauss explosions should be removed or dramatically reduced (to, like, <20% chance) so you can bring them with isXL and not sign your own death warrant.

Agreed, that would be a good way to give something back for these extra 3 tons... perhaps reduce the explosion damage by a fair amount also so that it's punishing but not instapop?

#84 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:41 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 January 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Actually, I strongly feel that IS Gauss explosions should be removed or dramatically reduced (to, like, &lt;20% chance) so you can bring them with isXL and not sign your own death warrant.

Then we'd have to do the same with the C-GR. maybe less than is, but generally it would need to follow suit in a buff.

#85 Duke Nedo

• 2,184 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 25 January 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

Then we'd have to do the same with the C-GR. maybe less than is, but generally it would need to follow suit in a buff.

Why? IS Gauss comes with a 3 ton CASE-IX. :)

#86 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:48 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 25 January 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

No we wouldn't, because that would be the penalty for weighing 3 tons less.

IMHO, the general trend for IS gear should be that it's more robust and less lethal while Clan gear is the opposite. In sum, they should basically cancel each other out.

#87 Kangarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 573 posts
  • LocationIn the Mechlab, adding more Double Heatsinks.

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:56 PM

KGC Theory builds GR at 12 tons 5 slots.

48 tons for 4x LGR... + 25 tons for an engine(std). (73) + 10 for basic (82) leaves 16 tons for armour and ammo. or 2 tons of ammo with 14 tons of armour (ferro) ... maybe even 3 tons of ammo.

with an XL 300 Deathtrap 15,5t thats 14tons of armour (Ferro) thats 11,5 tons of ammo... you can confortably equip a laser or 2 too.

with endo instead ferro you gain another 4.5 tons of ammo or additional weapons or a bigger engine. in this case you might be able to run a standart 300, if you don't do any backup weapons.

very subpar... not worth it.

#88 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:05 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 January 2017 - 11:48 PM, said:

No we wouldn't, because that would be the penalty for weighing 3 tons less.

IMHO, the general trend for IS gear should be that it's more robust and less lethal while Clan gear is the opposite. In sum, they should basically cancel each other out.

Who's is this we? PGI and everyone who agrees? :P

Jokes aside, I would naturally disagree with you on that, but since the neutral nerf of Gauss Rifle Range has made it a more medium-long range instead of just long range weapon, I think we do need to see more IS GRs on the battlefield.

The only thing I see is that both Gauss rifles of each tech side do the same damage, just one weighs more than the other. So it's not a matter of being less lethal, but more robust, durable, would be nicer.

#89 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:11 AM

View PostKangarad, on 25 January 2017 - 11:56 PM, said:

48 tons for 4x LGR...

And you don't even know if you can charge or fire 4 LGR at the same time (damage more or less equal to dual Gauss, DPS unknown).

The chargeup-at-a-time cap would likely be so: 3/2/2 for LGR/GR/HGR for 24/30/50(very short ranged) max possible damage.

#90 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:11 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 26 January 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

The only thing I see is that both Gauss rifles of each tech side do the same damage, just one weighs more than the other. So it's not a matter of being less lethal, but more robust, durable, would be nicer.

The Clan one is more lethal by virtue of allowing you to bring more (and better) complementary stuff.

You can't look at it as one item, you have to look at the potential of the total package.

#91 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:22 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 January 2017 - 12:11 AM, said:

The Clan one is more lethal by virtue of allowing you to bring more (and better) complementary stuff.

You can't look at it as one item, you have to look at the potential of the total package.

But does that really matter when it comes to heavier mechs such as assaults and the heavies? Generally for IS it's either bring heavy ordinance with a slow engine or bring heavy ordinance and a XL.

I'm going to head off now. 12:30 AM right now. Take care Yeonne.

#92 Kangarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 26 January 2017 - 12:11 AM, said:

And you don't even know if you can charge or fire 4 LGR at the same time (damage more or less equal to dual Gauss, DPS unknown).

The chargeup-at-a-time cap would likely be so: 3/2/2 for LGR/GR/HGR for 24/30/50(very short ranged) max possible damage.

I am glad the clans do not have a light gauss. can you imagine 8 light gauss on a dire floof?

#93 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:31 AM

View PostKangarad, on 25 January 2017 - 11:56 PM, said:

KGC Theory builds GR at 12 tons 5 slots.

48 tons for 4x LGR... + 25 tons for an engine(std). (73) + 10 for basic (82) leaves 16 tons for armour and ammo. or 2 tons of ammo with 14 tons of armour (ferro) ... maybe even 3 tons of ammo.

with an XL 300 Deathtrap 15,5t thats 14tons of armour (Ferro) thats 11,5 tons of ammo... you can confortably equip a laser or 2 too.

with endo instead ferro you gain another 4.5 tons of ammo or additional weapons or a bigger engine. in this case you might be able to run a standart 300, if you don't do any backup weapons.

very subpar... not worth it.

:P

You can use XL325, with 11 tons of something, you can use ML lasers for backup and just main GRs, with 750m that's quite enough. With enough luck and torso twisting, this LGR could work.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7d20034685665c9 - replace weapons + 2 tons of ammo with 4x LGR.

#94 Kangarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:42 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 26 January 2017 - 01:31 AM, said:

Posted Image

You can use XL325, with 11 tons of something, you can use ML lasers for backup and just main GRs, with 750m that's quite enough. With enough luck and torso twisting, this LGR could work.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7d20034685665c9 - replace weapons + 2 tons of ammo with 4x LGR.

KGC has 80+ alpha damage build or bust. heck even 120 alpha damage builds run cold enough to alpha 3 times. why settle for less?

#95 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:56 AM

View PostKangarad, on 26 January 2017 - 02:42 AM, said:

KGC has 80+ alpha damage build or bust. heck even 120 alpha damage builds run cold enough to alpha 3 times. why settle for less?

Because range, playstyle.

#96 Kangarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:03 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 26 January 2017 - 02:56 AM, said:

Because range, playstyle.

true. 32 damage at optimal range before crits. this thing could take heads while being cold if you can fire all 4 at once.

I just enjoy seeing a fresh enemy Mech, firing and leaving a Mech that is missing its center behind while I march on to the next target.

and for me that needs more fire power. especially in something as slow as a KGC.

true snipers in assaults are terrible. but dependign on the refire /dps rates it might replace the dgauss I have on my kgc for brawling power

Edited by Kangarad, 26 January 2017 - 03:04 AM.

#97 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:49 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 23 January 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

Only if it has no charge-up. The Gauss Rifle should not have a charge-up phase according to BattleTech, but the Light Gauss would be worthless with a charge-up. PGI can just make up some reason for it.

Will you leave that alone? GRs without charge up would be OP as all hell (just as GRs are OP as all hell in TT). Saying it doesnt have a charge up in TT is the same thing as saying that missiles dont have travel time in TT, and lasers dont have beam durations in TT - its not the same medium, and the differing firing mechanics are literally all inventions of the FPS genre.

On topic, with TT stats and a charge up id never even consider using them. Tbh i don't like the Gauss charge, so i rarely use those either, but i fully accept thats just personal preference and am not saying Gauss are bad weapons, quite the opposite. I just tend to get better results with weapons i can snap fire.

#98 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 26 January 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

But does that really matter when it comes to heavier mechs such as assaults and the heavies? Generally for IS it's either bring heavy ordinance with a slow engine or bring heavy ordinance and a XL.

I'm going to head off now. 12:30 AM right now. Take care Yeonne.

It absolutely matters. The 2Goose+2Peepers build is 36 tons and 16 slots for the Clans, 44 tons and 20 slots for IS. You need to run a smaller XL...to match the cooling, which means you dont run as fast. Why should the Clans get to benefit from inert Gauss rifles when they are faster, colder, and naturally survive the loss of one XL ST? It doesn't track, man.

#99 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 26 January 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

Jokes aside, I would naturally disagree with you on that, but since the neutral nerf of Gauss Rifle Range has made it a more medium-long range instead of just long range weapon, I think we do need to see more IS GRs on the battlefield.

Not sure where you get the idea that it is a mid-range weapon now. It still does just fine at long range or the Night Gyr's wouldn't be using it. The only thing the x3 range nerf hurt was its capability at extreme range (ERLL/ERPPC territory) which opens up a gap for the Light Gauss to fill.

I will say it again, give it extra range over the TT version, bump its damage per shot a bit to be on par with MW4 proportions (2/3 the damage of Gauss rather than 1/2), give it faster velocity and shorter charge up (since it is extreme range), and potentially lower the recycle time a bit (4.5 would be fine to start with).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 26 January 2017 - 09:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users