Can We Put Jordan Weisman In Charge At Pgi?

55 replies to this topic

#1 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

Atleast he gets that player charachter Clan Tech was the worst thing that ever happend to this franchise.

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:34 PM

You know, I don't mean to be rude to those to whom I address this to, but here goes;

I don't like it when people say that someone else should be doing the job for them. I absolutely despise it. They have their own job, their own company, and you want to take that from them. what a asinine statement to try and pull sympathy for on a subject.

MWO may have never existed, had Russ and the other two hadn't come together and make PGI. hell, there might've never been Jordan Weisman coming to make the TT BattleTech game that's coming up here soon.

So think about it. MWO IS a fun game. yes, it has its damned problems, like any other game on this world of ours. MWO is actually a pretty successful game for its time.

And again. ENOUGH WITH THESE POTATO IDEAS. STOP.

I'm sorry if that was a white knight, but it's pretty damn stupid to try and take someone's job from them. You would agree with me if this was your job at stake here.

#3 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

Posted Image

#4 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 23 January 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

It pretty much is, but I don't care. even if it is a bait or troll, they're pretty stupid. Losing your job, hell, your company even, is not funny at all.

I'm sorry, but the OP got me triggered. hard.

And I rarely get triggered too.

#5 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

PGI pretty much maintained the Battletech Franchise alive, you think MW5 Mercenarie would be possible without them?
Or Battletech?

Many people discovered Battletech franchise with MWO. Don't forget that.

#6 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

nor am I directing this statement to anyone in particular

There was no mention of any wish for anyone at any level to loose their job. All that's being asked for is strong, rational leadership to steer this product on a sustainable course.

What we have today is clan tech completely and utterly superior to anything IS will ever field, with clear documented intent for this to remain the status quo.

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

For me it's a glass half full or glass half empty scenario.

Yes, I'm thankful that PGI ressurrected the dormant BT licence. About $2000 worth of thankful.

But that doesn't exempt PGI from valid criticism about their appalling attitude to customer communication, irrational balance decisions, unimaginative design that fails to leverage BT lore, and their increasing disinterest in the game as they've focus on MW5.

Like the OP, I can only dream what the game could be if it were in the hands of a competent and experienced developer who genuinely cared about the IP.

Edited by Appogee, 23 January 2017 - 10:55 PM.

#8 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

View PostvisionGT4, on 23 January 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

What we have today is clan tech completely and utterly superior to anything IS will ever field, with clear documented intent for this to remain the status quo.

Yet IS got quirk that basicly make there weapons with most of the time range very close to the ones of Clans. For better heat control and generally more DPS.

Want to talk about how the Thunderbolt 9S was absolutly OP in his time?

If Clans were that much superior, they would be pretty much already at Terra.

Edited by KuroNyra, 23 January 2017 - 10:48 PM.

#9 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted Image

#10 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

There was no mention of any wish for anyone at any level to loose their job. All that's being asked for is strong, rational leadership to steer this product on a sustainable course.

You do realize that saying Jordan Weisman should be in charge implicitly means Russ loses his job, right? Honestly, I've said stuff like this before, but I kept it to periods of extreme salt and always felt bad about it afterwards, keeping it to mostly just talking with friends. Making a thread just saying "Russ sucks, I want this guy instead." is a bit... Well, I'll just point back to the image I posted.

#11 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

Money would have to change hands. That's the only way I see Jordan taking the helm. By that I mean Russ and the top brass selling off the game to Jordan.

#12 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

You just did. you said we should replace Russ Bullock with Jordan Weisman at PGI.

Russ is in charge of PGI. he is the president there.

Replace = take out, take over, take over from

When you take over someones job, and at that a president of a company, that essentially means you're taking their whole company, their hard work, their 8 long hard years of trying to make things work, away from them.

I understand your pain for clan tech, and how you distatse it. But that gives you no vindication to try and say that Jorge can do better. He has developed TT games, not FPS like the MechWarrior Franchise.

There's nothing we can do to remove clan tech now. to remove it means refunding the thousands of people who paid $$$$$$ for their clan mechpacks, and C-Bills too. to do that means facing the anger of half of this entire community. And let's not forget PGI has spent quite a bit of that money from clan packs for future development and MechWarrior 5.

You want a game where IS tech only exists? Wait for Mechwarrior 5 then. There you can enjoy being able to play at your pace, and with your choices.

#13 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:02 PM

View PostAppogee, on 23 January 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

For me it's a glass half full or glass half empty scenario.

Yes, I'm thankful that PGI ressurrected the dormant BT licence. About $2000 worth of thankful.

But that doesn't exempt PGI from valid criticism about their appalling attitude to customer communication, irrational balance decisions, unimaginative design that fails to leverage BT lore, and their increasing disinterest in the game as they've focus on MW5.

Like the OP, I can only dream what the game could be if it were in the hands of a competent and experienced developer who genuinely cared about the IP.

it doesn't exempt, of course, but it doesn't mean we should just rip some of the people there of their jobs. Simply because they weren't sure on how to do it. Yet.... any game gets criticism for how it was or is still. The older MechWarriors have had criticism too.

Russ is competent, to an extent. But experienced is another thing. I may not like what he does, but I don't like when people want to remove him from his Job.... anyone for that matter....

that's where I get angry.

Edited by Scout Derek, 23 January 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#14 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:23 PM

I don't really think highly of JW's business abilities after FASA and Wizkids.

#15 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:39 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 23 January 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

You just did. you said we should replace Russ Bullock with Jordan Weisman at PGI.

When you take over someones job, and at that a president of a company, that essentially means you're taking their whole company, their hard work, their 8 long hard years of trying to make things work, away from them.

I understand your pain for clan tech, and how you distatse it. But that gives you no vindication to try and say that Jorge can do better. He has developed TT games, not FPS like the MechWarrior Franchise.

There's nothing we can do to remove clan tech now. to remove it means refunding the thousands of people who paid $$$$$$ for their clan mechpacks, and C-Bills too. to do that means facing the anger of half of this entire community. And let's not forget PGI has spent quite a bit of that money from clan packs for future development and MechWarrior 5.

You want a game where IS tech only exists? Wait for Mechwarrior 5 then. There you can enjoy being able to play at your pace, and with your choices.

In true Smoke Jag style your presumption seems to have resulted in you going of half cocked. All that was stated in the OP is that JW should be in charge. At no point was anything mentioned of Russ not being able to draw a salary from this organisation.

Where Russ should be given credit is his historic ability to generate capital which has allowed the organisation to deliver what we have today. Whats also very clear is the lack of capable decision making in terms of meaningful balance of the two tech basses - and as they say It starts (and ends) at the top.

#16 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

I imagine that Jordan Weisman wouldn't want to touch MWO because of the mess he has to work with since BT isn't really appropriate for PvP FPS.

#17 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:18 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 23 January 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

Russ is competent, to an extent. But experienced is another thing.

I think the exact opposite is the case. Russ has experience in making money with the least possible effort, but apparently he they has/have no idea on how to build and maintain product with the scope of MWO - at least if you have any standards. Clearly it works "somehow", people are paying money and the game is still alive, but is it good? Most people would say it rightfully could and should be way better after all the time and money that went into it, and I' m pretty sure most of the players would leave and never look back if another MW title saw the light of day. People play because it's MW and there's nothing better around, that is the most you can say about MWO.

As for your other claim:

but it doesn't mean we should just rip some of the people there of their jobs. Simply because they weren't sure on how to do it.

Why not? Isn't that how it works? If you are bad at your job, you'll most likely lose it sooner or later. As mentioned above, the only thing that keeps MWO and PGI afloat is the fact that they hold the IP hostage. If MWO weren't (loosely based on) Battletech, it would never have made it that far. No other game dev could get away with the stuff PGI is pulling if there was any kind of competition on the market.

#18 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:19 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 23 January 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

There wouldn't be as much animosity towards PGI if management, including and especially Russ Bullock, had done a better job handling the game and everything else involved with it.

I don't just mean "oh yeah they could have done a better job but it wasn't so bad" either, because it's been a constant trend of sub-glacial development pace, absolute failed disasters like faction warfare, atrociously bad communication with the playerbase, so many broken promises that almost nobody believes PGI anymore just on their word about anything, leaving issues like mech scaling to rot for years before eventually fixing it later on even though it would have been much less work to address it long beforehand, a nightmarish mess of balance that would make even a World of Warcraft player's head spin, etc.

So I can easily see why somebody would want to see Russ replaced, because he deserves that sentiment. It of course won't happen though since MWO continues to be profitable in spite of PGI management, so there's not really a point in talking about having anybody replaced, but it's pretty easy to see why somebody would feel that way because PGI management has been consistently disappointing and there are still a lot of unresolved problems.

#19 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:25 AM

View PostvisionGT4, on 23 January 2017 - 11:39 PM, said:

In true Smoke Jag style your presumption seems to have resulted in you going of half cocked. All that was stated in the OP is that JW should be in charge. At no point was anything mentioned of Russ not being able to draw a salary from this organisation.

Where Russ should be given credit is his historic ability to generate capital which has allowed the organisation to deliver what we have today. Whats also very clear is the lack of capable decision making in terms of meaningful balance of the two tech basses - and as they say It starts (and ends) at the top.

Then word your title better, and I won't go full bat**** on you. Had you said "George Weisman Should take control of MWO", I wouldn't be having this talk right now with you.

Let me ask you this - What do you hope to accomplish by saying that clans are ruining the game? To some, they have been ruining the game ever since they've arrived. Do you believe you'll get a response from Russ on here by doing this?

Go to Twitter. tweet that clans are ruining the game. I will wait to hear what he responds.Oh, and do tweet Weisman and Russ both that Weisman should take Russ's Job at PGI.

But to stay prevalent to the topic, Clan tech in the lore universe was always meant to be better than IS. the main issue here is not what lies in the clan tech, but how they are choosing to balance the game.

If anything I like to see IS mechs get up there against clans on a more level playing field. but we don't.

#20 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:34 AM

View PostRedDragon, on 24 January 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

I think the exact opposite is the case. Russ has experience in making money with the least possible effort, but apparently he they has/have no idea on how to build and maintain product with the scope of MWO - at least if you have any standards. Clearly it works "somehow", people are paying money and the game is still alive, but is it good? Most people would say it rightfully could and should be way better after all the time and money that went into it, and I' m pretty sure most of the players would leave and never look back if another MW title saw the light of day. People play because it's MW and there's nothing better around, that is the most you can say about MWO.

As for your other claim:

Why not? Isn't that how it works? If you are bad at your job, you'll most likely lose it sooner or later. As mentioned above, the only thing that keeps MWO and PGI afloat is the fact that they hold the IP hostage. If MWO weren't (loosely based on) Battletech, it would never have made it that far. No other game dev could get away with the stuff PGI is pulling if there was any kind of competition on the market.

That's what I meant by experience. They don't fully know how to keep MWO to everyone's interest, or, at the least, a majority of people who have seen and played MWO.

As for your second response;

The main issue here is that Russ founded the Company alongside 2 other individuals. it doesn't make sense for a small company to remove their president simply because the community wants him gone. And what exactly are they getting away with? $500 Gold skin clan mechs? That's about all I can think that's wrong. And holding the IP hostage?

... you do realize that Living Legends was a fan made game that was on the rise before they had to stop due to cease and desist? In fact, I think we're holding them hostage if anything. if they don't make the game interesting enough for the player population, then they'll be gone due to a lack of funds, and Living Legends will continue its production again and become something that alot have dreamed of.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users