The thing about Mechs is...

53 replies to this topic

#41 Saintphoenix

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationVic Aus

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:52 AM

I dont get it mechs arnt mechs if nothing else is there, world of tanks has tanks no infantry no half tracks or trucks and the tanks are still tanks, i guess u have some point u were trying to make but u didnt say it clearly, mechs are mech by design not comparison

#42 PaintedWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

I agree with OP, it would variety and fun to the gameplay. Yes, some PVP with just the players is fun- WoW "Eye of the Storm" and "Arathi Basin" Domination maps being key examples) but Alterac Valley games were epic, and those had a strong NPC presence for both sides. It really adds a new layer of strategy to the game, whether you can, as a fire support/command Mech stand behind that tank with the AC-20.

It is also just plain fun to smack down Savannah Masters I imagine. Also the Clan Invasion is likely to have some sort of Elemental presence.

#43 Saintphoenix

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationVic Aus

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:59 AM

Also i vote no too it, its a mech sim the devs wantd to make a mech game and yet people still cry its not enough

#44 PaintedWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:02 AM

View PostSaintphoenix, on 21 July 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

Also i vote no too it, its a mech sim the devs wantd to make a mech game and yet people still cry its not enough

Well I mean for FUTURE of the game. The game is probably going to grow after all. As demand goes up and revenue arrives, they will experiment with different things. If the scale of games goes up they will probably add some sort of NPC feature and include other aspects of battletech.

#45 Saintphoenix

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationVic Aus

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

View PostPaintedWolf, on 21 July 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

Well I mean for FUTURE of the game. The game is probably going to grow after all. As demand goes up and revenue arrives, they will experiment with different things. If the scale of games goes up they will probably add some sort of NPC feature and include other aspects of battletech.

And u say probably based on what? world of tanks has been a hugely successful game and even though some peopel cry they want NPC infantry runnin around they havnt dont it and its over a year old now, i dont want **** like that in, coz u will get the idiots shooting tanks on the ground while ur gettin slaughtered by an assault mech and he wont give a **** coz he still gets a score

#46 falknir

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:42 AM

View PostSaintphoenix, on 21 July 2012 - 02:08 AM, said:

And u say probably based on what? world of tanks has been a hugely successful game and even though some peopel cry they want NPC infantry runnin around they havnt dont it and its over a year old now, i dont want **** like that in, coz u will get the idiots shooting tanks on the ground while ur gettin slaughtered by an assault mech and he wont give a **** coz he still gets a score
You realize there are many vehicles and tanks that stand up to even 100-ton battlemechs. That are or can be equipped with good armor, weapons, and other equipment. They are a valid alternative in a game like this and are not to be trifled with.

#47 Benaresh

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRüdesheim am Rhein, Hessia, Germany

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:42 AM

View PostKozmonot, on 20 July 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

Posted Image
ill just hang this here...

View PostStefan Ukris Amaris, on 20 July 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

HOLY MOLY! I didn't realise they made tanks. And is that a WARHAMMER!?

You better delete that man or you'll lose your beta access.

HAHA NO! This is MW:LL where a Demolisher II , Harraser and Partisan(Party Van) can and will ruin your day! A Mech game where you look frightened into the sky because somebody got an shiva with firebombs! Hot Damn, i miss that Game.

#48 Zephox

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

Having AI tanks around might be fun when the co-op / single player part of the game gets released. IF it gets released.

#49 Kozmonot

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostStarfyrGuns, on 20 July 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Most likely thats from MW:LL

^ True story, not Beta. Even if I had been in the beta, I'm on the wrong side of the world for a little over a month longer so I would be unable to play.

#50 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

That's the problem with lore. Sometimes when taken the wrong way it can get in the way of fun engaging gameplay.

Simply put, sure you can pilot tanks, heck you can even fly planes.

But why would you when the staple of the universe are giant walking death machines.

It's like the Battlefield franchise. Out of all the vehicles they have in the game the ones people always want to use (a majority of people not all of them) is the aircraft. Usually this leads to anywhere from 2 to 10 people idling on the carrier waiting for their turn to fly. It'd be the same thing with any Mechwarrior game that tried to do the same.

Plus if I am in a giant mech I'd say you find a significantly greater challenge fighting other mechs then you would fighting tanks or planes.

#51 Silverghost

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

The thing about mech warrior is that's it almost here and we should all be super grateful there is even such an awesome game coming out!

Yeah i'd love a hulking universe full of moving parts, but never once did I think boy I want to pilot a tank instead of a mech!

#52 Kozmonot

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

View Postfalknir, on 21 July 2012 - 02:42 AM, said:

You realize there are many vehicles and tanks that stand up to even 100-ton battlemechs. That are or can be equipped with good armor, weapons, and other equipment. They are a valid alternative in a game like this and are not to be trifled with.

True story. Even in MW:DA Surrender Your Dreams, infantry soldiers took down both mechs and tanks, as well as captured armor assets (to include mechs) and used them in the battles.

View PostSaintphoenix, on 21 July 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

who the heck is crying? They simple answered a questions "coz" the subject was brought up

View PostButane9000, on 21 July 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

. Usually this leads to anywhere from 2 to 10 people idling on the carrier waiting for their turn to fly. It'd be the same thing with any Mechwarrior game that tried to do the same.

touche. I hate(d) that about BF.

#53 Nebfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostAdridos, on 20 July 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

Abrams has 67 tons, but his height is only around 2,8 meters. Atlas has 100 tons, but heights around 20 meters.

Think of mechs as tanks built vertically, so all that weight builds to the height, not width.

Your incorrect on the height, A Mobile suit from the Gundam universe might be 20 meters tall but in Battletech a battlemech tops out at around 14 meters, many being 12 meters tall (the range being 8 to 14 meters).

I believe an Atlas is around 13 meters tall.
Some of the others that I know about would be, Centurion is ~11 meters and the Catapult ~12 meters

Though I have no idea what they scaled to in this game.

#54 Woska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

I think tanks and other vehicles should be used to populate bases and active cities. In some of the more involved match scenarios I think AI vehicles would create a nice layer of immersion. The players are the elite, they are the Mechwarriors. But you're not elite if you don't represent the rest of the combatants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users