Battlemech Manual Open Beta

10 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

• Standing from seven to sixteen meters tall, and weighing from twenty to one hundred tons
  • Powered by an armored and shielded fusion reactor
  • Skeleton of honeycombed, foamed aluminum core wrapped with stressed silicon carbide monofilament and sheathed by a rigid, titanium-steel shell
  • Locomotion generated via bundles of polyacetylene-fiber myomer muscles
  • Protected by aligned-crystal steel over a layer of boron nitride impregnated with diamond monofilaments
  • Mounting a swath of powerful weapons from charged particle beams to lasers, missiles to rapid-fire autocannons
  • All at the command of the noble elite, the MechWarriors

The modern BattleMech is the end result of more than three thousand years of battlefield technology development. Combining
awesome destructive power and unparalleled maneuverability, the BattleMech is perhaps the most complex machine ever produced.
The undisputed master of thirty-first century warfare, the BattleMech seems destined to reign supreme for centuries to come.
—Excerpts from a promotional pamphlet originally distributed by Defiance Industries of Hesperus, Lyran Commonwealth, 3007
Using the most up-to-date rules text, the BattleMech Manual has been designed from the ground up to cater to the BattleTech player wanting to engage in an all-’Mech battle. Includes a variety of optional rules, terrain and more.
Welcome to the most table-usage-friendly BattleTech rulebook ever published!

Grab the Open Beta PDF now! Also, the Table of Contents are on the Catalyst Tumblr (while older posts previewed other sections of the book).

#2 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

What is this I don't even

#3 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostAppogee, on 26 January 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

What is this I don't even

This is called "promotion" and is a sales/marketing tactic meant to increase awareness of a product and to encourage the exploration of said product offering.

#4 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

I consider the 'open beta' label here questionable, given that getting ahold of the supposedly 'open' material costs 10 bucks.

#5 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 26 January 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

I consider the 'open beta' label here questionable, given that getting ahold of the supposedly 'open' material costs 10 bucks.

Open Beta means that no specific invitation is required to gain access. It can be behind a paywall, though, but anyone and their mother can get access to it without "knowing a guy."

Since it's an electronic item, the Open Beta session is no doubt so we can review and point out errors, suggestions, etc. to help them polish the final product. The content you pay for will be updated with these revisions.

You know, for a "BattleTech Community," I am surprised that this is getting a cold reception here by everyone but me, who has zero TT background and is strictly a MechWarrior fan.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 26 January 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#6 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

Hey, I'm happy to see the book be a thing too, but I said that in the survey that I was directed to by the other topic related. I was just under the impression that 'open beta' was indicative of 'free'. Thanks for correcting that, by the way.

Just in case you were wondering, no, none of this post is sarcastic. Except for the fifth blank line. That one's so sassy it got kicked out of Ethics.

#7 SirEpicPwner

• PipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 60 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

Important Note:

The BattleTech Manual Open Beta will not provide a free upgrade to the final version when it releases.

Well then. Why buy an incomplete product?

Edited by SirEpicPwner, 26 January 2017 - 04:49 PM.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Sadly if you are looking for actual books, good luck. Catalyst and their "partners" are slower than corpses and just as non-responsive except for that one mass-email. Ordered almost two months and nothing, and no response to emails. I was still waiting but I have initiated a chargeback for items via Paypal due to items that have yet to be shipped yet.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 26 January 2017 - 05:22 PM.

#9 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:22 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 26 January 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

Sadly if you are looking for actual books, good luck. Catalyst and their "partners" are slower than corpses and just as non-responsive except for that one mass-email. Ordered almost two months and nothing, and no response to emails. I was still waiting but I have initiated a chargeback for items via Paypal due to items that have yet to be shipped yet.

Ha! Well, there ya go. PGI still carries the torch in terms of customer service.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 27 January 2017 - 07:16 AM.

#10 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:26 AM

Another problem with this thing is:

Important Note: The BattleTech Manual Open Beta will not provide a free upgrade to the final version when it releases.

#11 SirEpicPwner

• PipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 60 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:54 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 26 January 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

Since it's an electronic item, the Open Beta session is no doubt so we can review and point out errors, suggestions, etc. to help them polish the final product. The content you pay for will be updated with these revisions.

Except it won't be updated with the final revisions. There is a disclaimer on the page that says as much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users