How Common Are Disconnects?

16 replies to this topic

#1 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

Hi fellow Mechwarriors! I haven't been playing very long, but since I started back in the fall I have never been disconnected during a match, and now it's happened twice in the last hour.

My internet is very stable, the screen just goes black and BAM I'm back at sign in. My mech remained locked when I logged back in, so I guess the server is still up that my match was on. The option wasn't available to "rejoin game". I hope I don't get penalized for the dc!

Does this happen often to you?

#2 JuIius

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

same here... mech locked.

its one of these days....

#3 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

You would think that PGI could make a Rejoin Game feature that is easy and simple to find.

#4 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

I thought it would be like when you leave a match after you're dead then decide to rejoin to spectate, but it just said "Mech Locked". I'm not complaining, it could be server traffic or something, I just wanted to know if I was all alone.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostAureliusDean, on 29 January 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

I thought it would be like when you leave a match after you're dead then decide to rejoin to spectate, but it just said "Mech Locked". I'm not complaining, it could be server traffic or something, I just wanted to know if I was all alone.

You can. What you do is you press play as another mech and it drops a TINY window asking if you want to continue an already running game or if you want to launch with your new mech.

there's other ways to pull it down but yeah, it isn't "easy" to find apparently.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

This said occasionally frequent disconnects happen at especially busy times or around background maintenance which does occasionally happen; you'll know when it is because you'll see a fair bit of "Deja Vu".

#7 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Kon! So I have to switch mechs? That is... erm... odd.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

View PostAureliusDean, on 29 January 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

Thanks Kon! So I have to switch mechs? That is... erm... odd.

Having tried it just now..

There is a down arrow next to play. This brings up that tiny window I described.
You don't have to switch mechs (but if you did it would bring that down regardless which is the only way I ever discovered it to exist).

And I'm quite serious that this thing is TINY and hard to see in most resolutions and the bigger the resolution the smaller it is.

#9 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

I have seen the window you speak of, but it was unavailable when I tried frantically to log back in. On the bright side, I got to chat with a distinguished forum authority! Posted Image I used to be a moderator for Medieval:Total war back in the day, and I'd like to thank you for your time. I know the amount of time you must put in to being on the welcoming committee. I hope you get some perks for all your effort in helping us new fellows along. We used to call it the "How do I get to Ireland?" forum. Have a great Sunday!

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

You're welcome, and thank you for noticing. :) Interestingly very few people have noticed that only two players have ever been given that title. The other of which I haven't seen in a long while, sadly. There isn't any real authority to the title though (even if I was asked two years ago if I wanted to be a volunteer moderator. I declined.)

Talking to me isn't all that special, though, I hang out here an awful lot and you can reach me any time. Seeing me in game though is definitely more of a special moment. Even more so if you take me down one on one. Posted Image

#11 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

I couldn't kill you if you were legged in a locust. I like your TT reference too, back in high school we rented an apartment so we could leave our maps set up on the floor. That was like '88 to '90ish. Gotta love this genre and community!

#12 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Happens to me sometimes, maybe once per 30 games. It's likely to happen less often to players with better connection and computer. It usually happens to me while loading the fight, and less often midfight.

But today was expectional , in two games I and about everyone else got disconnected. Also on these times, it was not possible to reconnect to the game, for short period of time the mech was "locked". On normal disconnects that doesn't happen but this was server related.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

View PostAureliusDean, on 29 January 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

I couldn't kill you if you were legged in a locust. I like your TT reference too, back in high school we rented an apartment so we could leave our maps set up on the floor. That was like '88 to '90ish. Gotta love this genre and community!

I'm hoping that after I finish moving, I can manage to get ports opened properly (since the ISP here is so **** about doing it themselves and they can never do it right) so that I can start hosting Megamek (unofficial tabletop for the PC) campaigns again. If you're interested you're welcome to join us sometime.

#14 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:42 AM

D/C's seem to be on the rise.

#15 Temu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

yeah.. last couple nights i've just given up after 3 disconnects in a row... don't want to do it to whatever team i get dropped with... not fair to them, but really frustrating. sometimes i can go for hours without a problem, but then suddenly pretty much unplayable with getting kicked out of game.

#16 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

I tend to DC once every 10-15 matches or every 5-10 if I'm alt-tabbing (generally when I play a Heavy or the same weight class as the latest release, MM takes longer then). It's almost always before the match starts proper, so I generally have time to re-launch and re-join.

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 01 February 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#17 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,967 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostAureliusDean, on 29 January 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

Hi fellow Mechwarriors! I haven't been playing very long, but since I started back in the fall I have never been disconnected during a match, and now it's happened twice in the last hour.

My internet is very stable, the screen just goes black and BAM I'm back at sign in. My mech remained locked when I logged back in, so I guess the server is still up that my match was on. The option wasn't available to "rejoin game". I hope I don't get penalized for the dc!

Does this happen often to you?

There's been an issue this last weekend. Normally, I do not disconnect; but sometimes the game hates people's perfectly good hardware setups.

Edited by Void Angel, 01 February 2017 - 05:10 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users