Timed, sensor or remote mines and other devices for tactical fighting in enclosed quarter areas?

25 replies to this topic

#21 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

A reflex weapon makes no sense, this isn't the movie "home alone" and non of us are that bizarre gremlin creature Macaulay Culkin

If you want to have people that wander into an area to taste the pain, that area should either be full of landmines,, unmanned autoturrets, or if there are sensors there, they give you the intelligence necessary to know that it'd be a good place to drop arty.

Not some rube goldberg system of interactions

#22 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

These would fall into a more 'tactical' bucket, but your lights/meds could be used to deploy them. (as opposed to air drops or off field resources, anything in the fight should be...well...in the fight or at least reachable by the attacking force).

Lights that can lay (or detect/defuse) mines/turrents and destroy arty adds value to their role, without really detracting from the others, although digging ditches all day might get a bit tiresome.

And I'd only give Defense turrents, Offense would get NPC tanks or nothing (since O should be harder than D).

Edited by Kaemon, 18 December 2011 - 12:21 PM.

#23 Soltenius Drake

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

View PostVYCanis, on 18 December 2011 - 09:38 AM, said:

A reflex weapon makes no sense, this isn't the movie "home alone" and non of us are that bizarre gremlin creature Macaulay Culkin

If you want to have people that wander into an area to taste the pain, that area should either be full of landmines,, unmanned autoturrets, or if there are sensors there, they give you the intelligence necessary to know that it'd be a good place to drop arty.

Not some rube goldberg system of interactions

Before I begin to make my counter point where did you get Home alone or Macauley Culkin?

Anyway there is good logic for a reflex weapon mines and auto turrets can be detected but if a certain amount of pressure would trigger a underground pressure sensor a high velocity long range cannon could have devastating effect, yet the area would appear harmless before hand all thats needed is either a clear line of sight or a building that is a relatively thin structure.

If you think my idea is redundant that fine and maybe you are right, we can agree to disagree here. However it's a little overboard for you to feel the need to slander my point of view because you fail to see the purpose of it, don't you think?

#24 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

I apologize, my phrasing was caustic

What i'm trying to say is that while there is precedent for remote sensors, turrets, mines, and artillery. Having an automatic "if X then Y" system for calling down an automated artillery barrage just seems a bit gamey and rube goldbergy and takes the roles of the spotter/commander completely out of the equation.

Auto defense turrets you should have to think about placement and ranges

Mines you should have to think about how obvious they are and how well they'd close off routes

Artillery should have to think about how weill you can get spotters for it, delay for coming in, and such stuff.

sensors should provide the user and team with valuable information

Mixing all 4 concepts into 1 automated super trap just seems...improper

Edited by VYCanis, 18 December 2011 - 05:29 PM.

#25 Soltenius Drake

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

Ok, I can certainly agree to the over kill factor and over saturation of an idea. I also see that when you consider artillery, mines and turrets a reflex cannon type addition brings little new diversity to the table while over saturating on already founded tools of tactical warfare.

SOoo anyone else have any idea's to bring to the table about tactical warfare? I am game to discuss it.

#26 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

They would definitely be useful for objective matches with an attacker and a defender. Maybe an LRM rack loaded with mine dispersal units could be a piece of equipment.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users