Metalicious Mechs For The Is (Now With Poll)

BattleMechs Balance Gameplay

262 replies to this topic

#181 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

View PostClownwarlord, on 10 February 2017 - 10:12 PM, said:

But since you want me to be serious ... .
The mech comes with 10 variants. 80 ton mech which can have a 400 engine, can have multiple enegry hard points (standard variant has 5 energy hard points). Said to be very agile so maybe medium mech agility at assault weight. Big arms with plates that slide up like the Mauler which can help cover the CT and or ST. Can have similar mech builds to an atlas with 1A5 variant 2 SRM 6s Ac20 and 3 mediums or medium pulses. Can have C3 Slave, can have later tech added to it, and the Kamikaze can carry a sword. Enough said I win sword has it. Posted Image lol

And if that isn't good enough well maybe PGI will do to it what they did to some other mechs in adding equipment that it originally didn't have (maybe ecm or other hard points)?

And for all that, it will still lose to the BattleMaster because the hardpoints are not where they need to be, or the Spirit Bear because it's not 100 tons.

That's why it isn't on this list. If we just say "oh, but we can quirk it to be great!" then there is little point in composing any list of meta machines because we can theoretically quirk any 'Mech to god-hood.

#182 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

View PostBombast, on 10 February 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

Believe it or not, the Charger has actually been brought up before in relation to being a 'meta' mech. Unfortunately, due to how engine caps work, the Charger is really nothing more than a Zeus with an extra 10 engine cap it will never, ever, ever use.

Well ... it could. If we get that tech with better engines then it could. 400 super light fusion engine not the xl. It could be ultimately game changing. 85 kph and carry 5 large pulses or large lasers? Or a build similar to Atlas with with a 400 light fusion engine? Talk about brawling and now you would have an 80 ton mech with speed of a medium or heavy and agility of medium or heavy but still a load out of an assault?

#183 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:30 PM

View PostClownwarlord, on 10 February 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

Well ... it could. If we get that tech with better engines then it could. 400 super light fusion engine not the xl. It could be ultimately game changing. 85 kph and carry 5 large pulses or large lasers? Or a build similar to Atlas with with a 400 light fusion engine? Talk about brawling and now you would have an 80 ton mech with speed of a medium or heavy and agility of medium or heavy but still a load out of an assault?

The issue with talking about new tech making it good is that the new tech would make all of the mechs we've listed better as well. Basically it'd be in pretty much the same situation it is now.

#184 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

But again, you can do that on a Battlemaster.

#185 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

All of which a Zeus could do, minus 10 engine cap (Which is largely meaningless).

The Charger adds nothing to the current game, and it's capacities as a LFE carrier are both speculative, and still redundant to the Zeus. LFEs are also not as powerful as most thing they'll be.

#186 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:19 AM

So sorry, the Charger isn't good enough to make this list.

If you are trying to derail the thread, please don't as several of us have put in a fair amount of time to make this list.

#187 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

I'm all for some IS power creep.

#188 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:01 PM

View PostNRP, on 11 February 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

I'm all for some IS power creep.

It makes me kinda worried to talk about this because some ppl practically consider "meta" a bad word around here.

#189 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:59 PM

The poll currently has 57 votes tallied. Here's how its going.
Light: Osiris with 33, Razorback has a mere 14
Medium: Lynx pulled ahead with 18 over the Starslayer's 16
Heavy: Falconer, Flashman & Onslaught with 11, Dragon Fire & Jinggau with 8
Assault: Fafnir has 18, Sagittarius 16, followed by the Nightstar with 10

If you haven't voted yet please do so here: https://mwomercs.com...chs-for-the-is/

#190 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:46 AM

So I was looking at build ideas and dual gauss + dual hvy ppc is technically possible, I'm not sure it's worth it.

On a 95t mech (Like the Sagittarius or Nightstar) you can but need to use a 285xl to have a tolerable heat load & ammo but a 285 means Dwolf speed. I think a pair of erppcs or even regular ppcs would be better.

#191 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 16 February 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

So I was looking at build ideas and dual gauss + dual hvy ppc is technically possible, I'm not sure it's worth it.

On a 95t mech (Like the Sagittarius or Nightstar) you can but need to use a 285xl to have a tolerable heat load & ammo but a 285 means Dwolf speed. I think a pair of erppcs or even regular ppcs would be better.

2x Heavy Gauss + 2x Heavy PPC or bust!! Why can't I fit my 100 ton Assault with a STD 60? Posted Image

#192 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 16 February 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

2x Heavy Gauss + 2x Heavy PPC or bust!! Why can't I fit my 100 ton Assault with a STD 60? Posted Image

Haha well it could be fun to have that much firepower I think the Kodiak demonstrates the value of speed.

#193 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

A question for everyone.

Of the mechs listed, which ones would be the most resilient to changes in meta/balance?

#194 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:08 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 17 February 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

A question for everyone.

Of the mechs listed, which ones would be the most resilient to changes in meta/balance?

Lynx, Onslaught, Sagittaire.

Even the Falconer might be pretty resilient; PPFLD has never really ever been bad. Toyama will also always be solid, just like the JagerMech has been, only better.

#195 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:18 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 17 February 2017 - 09:08 PM, said:

Lynx, Onslaught, Sagittaire.

Even the Falconer might be pretty resilient; PPFLD has never really ever been bad. Toyama will also always be solid, just like the JagerMech has been, only better.

Indeed I suspect most of the mechs listed would be pretty resilient to balance changes as long as they have some level of variety of HP's

The Flashman for example would be in some trouble if lasers got nerfed.

#196 Josh Seles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:44 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 17 February 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

A question for everyone.

My answer to that would be mechs with mostly cockpit-level or higher hardpoints, Misery or laser vom BLR-1G style. Like the Raijin and Nightstar (2 of my votes). Just being able to get good firepower downrange helps a lot.
Hitbox quality, high hardpoint counts, and weapon boat-ability, and side equipment would also factor in.
Edit: I want that Nightstar, #nightstar2017

Edited by Josh Seles, 19 February 2017 - 09:48 PM.

#197 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:05 PM

View PostJosh Seles, on 19 February 2017 - 09:44 PM, said:

My answer to that would be mechs with mostly cockpit-level or higher hardpoints, Misery or laser vom BLR-1G style. Like the Raijin and Nightstar (2 of my votes). Just being able to get good firepower downrange helps a lot.
Hitbox quality, high hardpoint counts, and weapon boat-ability, and side equipment would also factor in.
Edit: I want that Nightstar, #nightstar2017

I think it boils down to two things.
- How quirk dependent it is
- Variety of loadouts, basically not dependent on one or two weapons

#198 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

A question for those that voted for the Flashman.

What specific reason/s are you voting for it? The reason I ask is because I know its been a fairly popular mech and I'm slightly concerned ppl are voting for nostalgia or looks without truly examining it.

#199 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:35 PM

With 64 votes tallied

- Osiris with 39. The Razorback and Nexus are way behind with 14 & 11 votes respectively
- Lynx leads with 19 followed by the Starslayer's 18. The Men Shen isn't too far behind with 14
- Flashman has 16 with Falconer & Onslaught tied at 11
- Fafnir's 20 edging out the Sagitarius's 19 with the Nightstar slipping away with 11

I am slightly concerned people are voting for nostalgia but nothing to be done about it.
Keep on voting please: https://mwomercs.com...chs-for-the-is/

#200 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:19 AM

Heavy and Assault votes are depressing. And the Onslaught should have never been on the list anyways.

38 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 38 guests, 0 anonymous users