Buff Mobility Skills.

17 replies to this topic

#1 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:34 AM

Id like to see mobility skills buffed. if you invest into full mobility nodes you should have at least
50 degrees/sec turn rate and like 75 deg/s torso speed rate on a 100 ton mech IMO.

Would be good if the mobility skill nodes affected heavy and assault mechs more to provide these values if fully skilled.

#2 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 12:31 PM

This is very likely to be an unnecessary change: the cauldron is looking to address mobility next.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 26 April 2021 - 12:56 PM

View Post0111101, on 26 April 2021 - 12:31 PM, said:

This is very likely to be an unnecessary change: the cauldron is looking to address mobility next.

It's not unnecessary because the mobility tree tends to be less valuable than stuff like firepower or survival. On basically all of my mechs I max out heat gen, armor, structure, cool run, and velocity or beam duration depending on build.

On mechs that have good base mobility, adding more doesn't help that much. On mechs that have bad base mobility, the tree's values are too weak to make up for the loss of firepower/survival/whatever.

#4 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 01:26 PM

I would like to see mechs of most weights cap at pretty much the same or comparable mobility when they invest into the tree. This will need diffirent bonuses for ddiffirent weight class. More for heavier.

+5% torso speed anchor turn isnt good for assaults because base speed is too low

Edited by lazorbeamz, 26 April 2021 - 01:32 PM.

#5 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 01:37 PM

It needs to be a different % for different size classes, or to be changed to a non-percent increase that would be appropriate for every size (but I'm not sure that'll work.)

#6 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 April 2021 - 02:04 PM

View Postlazorbeamz, on 26 April 2021 - 01:26 PM, said:

+5% torso speed anchor turn isnt good for assaults because base speed is too low
]

And in MAY Patch baseline mobilty is getting large buffs so the increases given will logically be quite a bit more.

Wait and see.

Over and above that changing skill tree currently isn't possible.

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 02:57 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 26 April 2021 - 02:04 PM, said:

PGI has buffed and nerfed skill tree values in the past though? If they can do sweeping changes like buffing nearly every weapon, increasing mobility on every mech, and rescaling almost every mech, I don't think it would be any harder to fiddle will skill tree values?

#8 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:10 PM

]

And in MAY Patch baseline mobilty is getting large buffs so the increases given will logically be quite a bit more.

Wait and see.

In the short term I imagine it’s much simpler to adjust base mobility values than making changes to the skill tree mechanic.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:12 PM

PGI had more Engineers/Devs in the past. Gotta remember that 40+ people working on the game then. The team currently is less than a handful of people who are already working thier rear ends off. Rescale is a very long way off for example, doesn't even have a date, and in one way is not too hard but there are other limitations thst make it a bigger job. Cauldron understand what those are but we're not cleared to discuss things so we can't.

Adjusting a XML values is quick/easy. Hence it's coming first while larger stuff gets worked on.

Wait and see after the mobilty buffs. Having see how it all works it's going to surprise people.

#10 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:14 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 26 April 2021 - 03:12 PM, said:

Adjusting a XML values is quick/easy. Hence it's coming first while larger stuff gets worked on.

Wait and see after the mobilty buffs. Having see how it all works it's going to surprise people.

I was under the impression that the skill tree could be adjusted via XML and that it's not something "hardcoded" like the CXL/LFE penalties.

Baseline mobility buffs doesn't address my criticism that the mobility tree is generally a worse pick than most of the other trees.

#11 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:31 PM

]

Wait and see.

Until then, if you're distressed that your assault mech doesn't twist and maneuver like a medium mech, may I humbly suggest running a medium mech? You can look up the values on them and find which handle to your satisfaction without blowing any skill points on anchor turn.

#12 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:32 PM

View PostFupDup, on 26 April 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

I was under the impression that the skill tree could be adjusted via XML and that it's not something "hardcoded" like the CXL/LFE penalties.

Baseline mobility buffs doesn't address my criticism that the mobility tree is generally a worse pick than most of the other trees.

Yeah probably is. Right now the next 2 months for Cauldron are Mobility values / Quirk values and then probably a overall look. See where it all lands from then really. No plan to go touching anything in the tree, yet.

I mean the JJ tree is pretty useless but that is also because baseline JJs are really bad. Buff JJ then you're gonna get some solid options in JJ tree potentially.

I mean I've seen how a DWF with a few nodes in mobility twists post value change... It's quite interesting :)
I'll be changing up things like a Victor and other brawlers for sure which such a nicer base level number as I'd rather spread a laser or UAC fire over 5 components vs having an extra 4 armour on them.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 26 April 2021 - 03:33 PM.

#13 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:23 PM

yippee

https://youtu.be/ErF3AfR9SAU?t=338

#14 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:56 PM

Poor Atlas needs to move like a Flea..

#15 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:29 PM

honestly i will wait and see what sort of mobility changes we get bore i even think about suggestions to the skill tree. not to mention the far off future scaling changes.

#16 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:41 PM

This was announced and is probably one of the biggest things that I think may bring back players.

#17 Wid1046

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:33 AM

I really hope the mobility improvements don't just focus on the mechs with bad mobility. The Gargoyle for example currently only really has its mobility going for it. Mechs like the Fafnir should become more agile, but if they narrow the gap too much it will remove another reason for the few mechs that have speced heavily into mobility. Same with light and medium mechs; they should get improved accel/decel/turn rate even if they are already relatively good at it.

The mechs will poor mobility should be made good, and the mechs that have good mobility should have their mobility made great.

#18 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:31 PM

View PostWid1046, on 28 April 2021 - 07:33 AM, said:

I really hope the mobility improvements don't just focus on the mechs with bad mobility. The Gargoyle for example currently only really has its mobility going for it. Mechs like the Fafnir should become more agile, but if they narrow the gap too much it will remove another reason for the few mechs that have speced heavily into mobility. Same with light and medium mechs; they should get improved accel/decel/turn rate even if they are already relatively good at it.

The mechs will poor mobility should be made good, and the mechs that have good mobility should have their mobility made great.

The Cauldron's current plan as of the most recent balance intel/feedback thread was to buff the agility of ALL mechs without exception.

The thing to remember is that not all agility is equal. For example, buffs to a light mech's twist speed don't do anything to help it evade the firing arc of an assault mech. Meanwhile, an assault mech's twist speed DOES influence its ability to keep a light in its firing arc. Combine this with 20-25 ton mechs (and Urbie) staying the same size yet all mechs above that weight getting made smaller and this might make an assault meta.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users