Skill Tree Cost

33 replies to this topic

#1 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:28 PM

Greetings MechWarriors. Today I have a few simple ideas. First. The C-Bill cost for this new skill tree Is far too low. We need to double it at least if we want a proper dumpster fire on our island, and maybe increase the XP cost to 5k, up from 1.5k.

Second. Variable XP costs by weight. Light mechs should take the least XP to master and Assaults take the most.

Third. Simplify. Why do we have 5 nodes with a 1% increase each? That's not depth nor does it really add to the game except for a complex skill tree.

#2 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

Moving this thread over to the Skill Tree PTS forum.

#3 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

Thanks, Alex. I thought this forum wasn't working or I would've posted there originally.

#4 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

View Postcazidin, on 08 February 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

Greetings MechWarriors. Today I have a few simple ideas. First. The C-Bill cost for this new skill tree Is far too low. We need to double it at least if we want a proper dumpster fire on our island, and maybe increase the XP cost to 5k, up from 1.5k.

Second. Variable XP costs by weight. Light mechs should take the least XP to master and Assaults take the most.

Third. Simplify. Why do we have 5 nodes with a 1% increase each? That's not depth nor does it really add to the game except for a complex skill tree.

Stop mixing a joke thread and a legit thread together. I can't properly react to that with a gif.

#5 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 February 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

Stop mixing a joke thread and a legit thread together. I can't properly react to that with a gif.

You could, but PGI probably doesn't like gifs of that nature.

Try multiple gifs instead?

#6 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

View Postcazidin, on 08 February 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

You could, but PGI probably doesn't like gifs of that nature.

Try multiple gifs instead?

Well, while I'm here, I might as well just leave a proper representation of what's going on over here with me in the PTS.

Posted Image

#7 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 February 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

Well, while I'm here, I might as well just leave a proper representation of what's going on over here with me in the PTS.

Posted Image

But the PTS is young and people have yet to dig through the nice looking façade on top to reach the dark brown and smelly stuff that lies beneath. Just wait. Someone will find something to complain about, and do so in a way to get at least 3-4 pages worth of people agreeing/disagreeing/posting confused cat gifs.

#8 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

View Postcazidin, on 08 February 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

posting confused cat gifs.

SOON

Posted Image

#9 reflectorjones

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKCMO

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:11 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 February 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

SOON

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

View Postcazidin, on 08 February 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

Completely disagree. Cost is way to high just to get back to basic functions. Cost of non basic functions could be increased but the basic functions should be made c bill free.

#11 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

View PostMalrock, on 08 February 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Completely disagree. Cost is way to high just to get back to basic functions. Cost of non basic functions could be increased but the basic functions should be made c bill free.

The first (and maybe second?) things Cazidin listed are jokes. If you haven't gone onto GD before, he's a jokester. The third though I can agree with as being an odd design choice.

#12 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 February 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

The first (and maybe second?) things Cazidin listed are jokes. If you haven't gone onto GD before, he's a jokester. The third though I can agree with as being an odd design choice.

True, but second is intended as a serious suggestion. Lights in the hands of the average pilot will most often struggle to get a decent score, and thus earn XP slower. Keep in mind that I've very rarely piloted lights, so I may be totally wrong on this.

#13 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:21 PM

View Postcazidin, on 08 February 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

True, but second is intended as a serious suggestion. Lights in the hands of the average pilot will most often struggle to get a decent score, and thus earn XP slower. Keep in mind that I've very rarely piloted lights, so I may be totally wrong on this.

Eeeeh. I'd just rather not make XP costs cheaper or more expensive on a mech-by-mech basis due to the concerns I'd have with how the grind would be effected. But the only light mech I pilot regularly is an Adder, so I'm biased as to how quickly you can get XP on a light mech.

#14 suffocater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 570 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

With the CB I get back from modules I can "master" not even 30 of my over 200 mechs, from which are over 100 mastered at the moment.
AND I will need more than double the XP per mech, compared to the old system.

*insert the "are you f****** kidding me" meme here*

The skilltrees overall don't look too bad, even though I would love to get around the stupid armspeed perks. I generall don't like to be forced to skill something that I don't need or want to get to something that I really want.

#15 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

Scratch what I said. I'm an idiot.

Edited by MechaBattler, 08 February 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#16 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

View Postsuffocater, on 08 February 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

With the CB I get back from modules I can "master" not even 30 of my over 200 mechs, from which are over 100 mastered at the moment.
AND I will need more than double the XP per mech, compared to the old system.

Posted Image

The skilltrees overall don't look too bad, even though I would love to get around the stupid armspeed perks. I generall don't like to be forced to skill something that I don't need or want to get to something that I really want.

You're welcome.

#17 LegoPirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

9 million cbills and 150k xp is too much to skill a mech.

#18 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,891 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

View PostLegoPirate, on 08 February 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

9 million cbills and 150k xp is too much to skill a mech.

Out of 149 mastered mechs, if the rates stay current, and my math is right I expect I will be able to fully squirk out 2 ravens, maybe a locust, a panther and an oxide (maybe). That's it for lights. Mediums, probably just a couple of griffins and a black jack. Heavies: perhaps 3-4 quickdraws, and a couple of cataphracts. Maybe a stalker for Assaults. That's 14-15 mechs out of 149.

Not sure how I feel about that. Dejected? Maybe just...just tired...maybe? I don't know, precisely, but I do know that it is not making me want to rush out an play the PTS. (I will, but still...damn...14 mechs).

#19 Daemon04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationYou can google Mozartkugel or you can scan an Austrian.

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

In its current mastered states I will at least need the amount of nodes required to be able to elite the mechs.

COOL RUN, KINETIC BURST, TWIST AMOUNT, TWIST SPEED, HEAT CONTAINMENT, HARD BRAKE, ARM REFLEX, ANCHOR TURN.

QUICK IGNITION, FAST FIRE, SPEED TWEAK, PINPOINT (which is a blank placeholder for whatever reason - not necessary imo)

i am talking about BASIC AND ELITE SKILLS like in the current state.
I dont even care about that extra module slot. 91 nodes is simply insufficient to just unlock em.

I tried reconstructing the current skilling with the new "tree" and i can only unlock the necessary skills by having unlocking key nodes that i wont need for the mechs. it is kinda wasted nodes blocking the chocke points just like too scared mechs in F7 on new therra therma.

So i have an extra 12 wasted here for:
360 target retention
target decay
target info gathering
sensor range

AND 5 wasted for:
speed retention
hill climb

and ive never unlocked em in prior mechs before. exception is sensore range for scouting mechs.
91 node limit wont cut it if 17 are wasted in the process.

furthermore to add:
ive added some lbx and medlaser nodes to it as well. and i am at a total of 93 nodes with the wasted ones. sums up to 93 nodes - 139.500 xp and 9.3 mil. cbills. for one chassis. without the blanks it would only require 76 nodes and i would be able to quirk up some more weapons to the max.

so far my experience in the skills lab.

EDIT-

cost wise 9 mills for so many modules is amazing if we ignore the fact that we wont be able to swap important modules like radar depr. or seismic sensor and a couple more.

LBX: COOLDOWN, velocity, spread. --------------------- 3
LASER: duration, RANGE, heat gen ---------------------- 3

hill climb--------------------------------------------------------- 6
speed retention------------------------------------------------ 6
improved gyros------------------------------------------------ 2

target info gathering------------------------------------------ 4
sensor range--------------------------------------------------- 2
target retention------------------------------------------------ 6
seismic sensor------------------------------------------------- 6
radar deprivation---------------------------------------------- 6

otherwise that would cost a lot in CURRENT modules: 44 mil. !!!! and i wouldnt be able to fit all into one mech either.

EDIT 2-

after having slept over this Ill have to add that the 136k+ xp is a huge amount to grind these mechs. 56k is nothing compared to that.

the node system might have to be altered to a linear system.in order to get any radar deprivation i have to waste 4 nodes on one side and 5 more on the other side. for a 100% effect i had to waste 11 points.
24k xp that would fully basic my mech (14250 xp) and even get spead tweak on it (8500 xp).
im not buying it that the grind is staying the same. its not. not without a linear skill tree at least.

Edited by Daemon04, 09 February 2017 - 04:13 AM.

#20 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

At this point, I think this new skill tree will accelerate my departure from this game. I don't have time to grind out all of my mechs all over again. Plus, the way certain skills are located in the tree is just plain stupid.

The battletech beta is just around the corner, and as I don't have a lot of freetime, I'll just get my mech addiction with that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users