Would You Like Stats To Be Public?

95 replies to this topic

Poll: PUBLIC STATS? (457 member(s) have cast votes)

Should stats be public?

1. Yes! (138 votes [30.26%])

Percentage of vote: 30.26%

2. No! (162 votes [35.53%])

Percentage of vote: 35.53%

3. Only Certain Ones (Total Wins, Total Kills, Favorite Mechs, etc) (86 votes [18.86%])

Percentage of vote: 18.86%

4. I Don't Care! (70 votes [15.35%])

Percentage of vote: 15.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostWalk, on 30 March 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

ok, I see this all the time... and tell me, who do you think is a better pilot...

Pilot A ) 40 games played, 3.5 KDR, 60% Win rate
Pilot B ) 100 games played, 1.5 KDR, 40% Win rate

Using just those 3 stats, who would you rather have on your team? Also, assume all game are pugs.

pilot b,

so i can get more kills,

#82 Walk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

View Postneviu, on 30 March 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

pilot b,

so i can get more kills,

Ahh. It all makes sense now, apparently people are just uneducated and don't understand basic statistics and how to interpret them. Pilot B is the kind of pilot who hangs back and does nothing but killsteal. You don't increase your odds of getting kills with in game, in fact, you reduce them. This is easy to see because he has a somewhat high KDR, despite losing 60% of his games, the only way he could maintain this is by not helping the team AT ALL, but still getting kills. So if you choose player b, you would lose a lot, get less kills and more deaths in the process.

#83 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

In a contest like last week yes. But it is no ones business what your scores are. How many time did I hit with a large laser. That is no ones concern but mine and if necessary my house. I am real tired of the 10 year old mentality that do and use all types of tricks to make their score higher and brag about it. This is a team sport many chose to take a lesser score for the good of the team not just themselves. I also think that all states should and will be wiped when the game goes live. Talk about an outburst. Waa I want to show off because I only care about myself and the rest of you teammates can go to ____. This is almost as stupid as having a clan pay to allow them to play as a clan. I know a number of players that either won last week or came close, not one has talked about their score or how wonderful they are. That's is what makes them great. Tough on you, you egocentric little twit.

#84 Jestun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostKaspirikay, on 30 March 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Yes, I liked one thing about WoW. The Armory. With this I can see if someone who is complaining about something actually knows how to use their class and therefor opinion mattered.

Thanks for demonstrating exactly what's wrong with displaying stats.

"your opinion doesn't matter, look at your stats! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"

Edited by Jestun, 30 March 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#85 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostWalk, on 30 March 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Ahh. It all makes sense now, apparently people are just uneducated and don't understand basic statistics and how to interpret them. Pilot B is the kind of pilot who hangs back and does nothing but killsteal. You don't increase your odds of getting kills with in game, in fact, you reduce them. This is easy to see because he has a somewhat high KDR, despite losing 60% of his games, the only way he could maintain this is by not helping the team AT ALL, but still getting kills. So if you choose player b, you would lose a lot, get less kills and more deaths in the process.

I bet Pilot B cannot wait for stats to be public so he can hear about how bad is is and see things like "We lose" within the first 5-10 seconds like many WoT games have.

There he was, having fun playing a game, when he should have realised he should be stat whoring so other people think more of him!

#86 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

So long ago, I still say yes.

#87 Walk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostJestun, on 30 March 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

I bet Pilot B cannot wait for stats to be public so he can hear about how bad is is and see things like "We lose" within the first 5-10 seconds like many WoT games have.

There he was, having fun playing a game, when he should have realised he should be stat whoring so other people think more of him!

Except for(and this is the great part!) Elo will put him right along with all the other players who have 40% win rate, so he'll be with people who's stats are comparable to his, thus keeping the 60% win rate guys away from the 40% win rate guys. However, if you are trying to form a competitive team, you can actually check people's average stats and get a good approximation of what you can expect from then.

#88 Nutlink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMountain Man!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

To be honest I'd rather stats were never tracked to begin with. Give me stats at the end of a round, but not overall. I know I'm in the minority on this, but these things tend to lead to people abusing it to make their stats look good one way or another, or constantly resorting to "cheese" builds to maximize their stats.

#89 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostWalk, on 30 March 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Except for(and this is the great part!) Elo will put him right along with all the other players who have 40% win rate, so he'll be with people who's stats are comparable to his, thus keeping the 60% win rate guys away from the 40% win rate guys. However, if you are trying to form a competitive team, you can actually check people's average stats and get a good approximation of what you can expect from then.

ELO is already in, sharing stats is not required for that.

If you want to see peoples stats, ask. If they want to apply they can screenie the stats page.

This is not about being able to share stats, you can do that now with a press of the print screen button. It's about being forced to share stats.

#90 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostGorith, on 20 July 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

I voted for only certain ones. By that I mean I don't mind people seeing my W/L ratio but K/D ratio I feel would lead to bad team play also people who mainly play support roles in games tend to have terrible K/D ratios even if they are good at what they do.

Also would not want people to be able to look into each others mech bays and pilot skill trees maybe if they are in the same unit but otherwise no . This is important when it comes to the planetary conquest and to possible tournaments/leagues.

Do i have a great KDR? Hell no! Do i win and always try to be the best team player I can be? Hell yes! I wish i could see my assists/game. I also will play the role of "bait" more often than not when playing a 4/8man.

I cant agree more that people who play support, and LIKE PLAYING A SUPPORTING ROLE, would get screwed over by public WOT stats

#91 Noob Weapons

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 433 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostWalk, on 30 March 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

ok, I see this all the time... and tell me, who do you think is a better pilot...

Pilot A ) 40 games played, 3.5 KDR, 60% Win rate
Pilot B ) 100 games played, 1.5 KDR, 40% Win rate

Using just those 3 stats, who would you rather have on your team? Also, assume all game are pugs.

Neither... Pilot A is still low elo and has been matched with low skill players (you can't climb out after only 40 games), and Pilot B's win rate is terrible.

Also, these posts about how 'stats show nothing' don't make sense. How does a win/loss rate not show anything? Also, xp earned (assuming it leaves out things like weekend bonuses and premium account) can be a great show of how much the person is contributing to the team. I honestly think the people who are spamming 'No! Stats mean nothing anyways, dont show them!' have a really low Win/Loss and want to think that doesn't mean anything.

Yes, I agree that K/D doesn't mean much because of the roles people play. I use a sniper, so I have a very high K/D ratio because I am consistently executing people with high damage bursts, and I die less often because I am usually in the back-lines. I can also see how a light mech pilot might have less kills because they are doing a good job of capping points, tagging enemies for LRM fire, and offering ECM coverage to mech with more weapons. However, win/loss means a lot more, especially if the stat is shown for PuG only play (solo rather than team) as that shows that you are capable of carrying a team who is not organized.

If you think you are doing your job with a .5 k/d and a 40% win rate because you're "locking targets" then you are fooling yourself, there is a reason your win loss rate is low, and its not because you drop solo. Take the stats into indication, and start revising your builds so you get your win loss up. Don't make excuses, because there is always room for improvement. And just think, for every game you play where you are up against a 4 man premade, you are equally likely to get into another game where that 4 man premade is on your team, so really thats no excuse for why you're doing bad, you just need to carry your weight in the match, and your score will reflect that.

#92 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostNoob Weapons, on 30 March 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Neither... Pilot A is still low elo and has been matched with low skill players (you can't climb out after only 40 games), and Pilot B's win rate is terrible.

Elo makes sure your win rate is terrible. My W/L has dropped from right around 3:1 to 2.13.....and that is over the course of 3138 games.

It takes a lot to move my numbers around.

#93 Moonsavage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAylesbury, UK

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

I vote no.

Strangely enough, I am most often in the top 4 players on my team, win or lose, and yet my stats are apparently very low.
How does that work, I wonder?

#94 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

In a community based less on "My e-***** is bigger than your e-*****", I might have voted I don`t care, which would reflect my personal views, becasue I couldn`t care less what some random pixels think. And stats don`t mean much in purely opinion based discussions, especially not ones as ambiguous as those available on the website.

For example if I were to take mine at face value (which most here seem to do), I absolutely suck at everything..

But then I look over and see accuracy at 81% ERLL , 89% ML, 67% gauss, 59% AC/20, 40% LRM20 and 63 SRM6, and that 2 of the 7 mechs in the list have positive K:D ratios and almost 1:1 w/l ratios, and teh least playtime.

So the story suddenly becomes "hadn`t found his groove and config and is now starting to improve measurably and fine tune".

That I generally get between 6-8 assists on a win and still usually 1 assist /enemy killed on even the most roflstomping lose isn`t even factored in, but that is actually one of the more telling stats, since you can`t really cause damage on every member of the enemy team using a variety of weaponry if you consistently die fast or gimp around hung up on a corner. But of course that still happens as I do still have moments of ultimate stupidity on a regular basis. Usually right before I so something even more outlandishly stupid in the next match that somehow ends up working out great and breaking the enemy`s back ;)

But that would all NEVER be interpreted that way in a discussion, it would be "you got lucky matches the few times you dropped, probably dropped as a premade, etc".

Seeing as you can`t win, why provide a target? :huh:

They are useful for tracking personal progress, and that is what I use them for.

There is also the option of letting people check a box in their profile as to whether they want their stats public or not, the option don`t have to be black and white, there is room for gray here.

Edited by Zerberus, 30 March 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#95 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

I voted "i don't care". If I haden't have that option I'd vote yes simply to know who are the samefull users of broken weapons.

#96 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostRobin Wolf, on 30 March 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

I'm an average mechwarrior, btw I'm here for fun and as long as I'm having fun I don't care if I'm just an average Joe and the world knows ;)

That said, I'm all for public stats, however I believe one should have the option to make those private (either in full or in part). I would make mines 100% public, btw I believe a configurable privacy option would be fair.

That wouldn't solve the problems at all:

"LOL HOW ABOUT YOU MAKE YOUR STATS PUBLIC SCRUB I BET YOUR KAY DEE IS IN THE NEGATIVES LOLOLOLOLOL!"

Then when you make your stats public.

"LOL LRM NOOB WE CAN SAFELY IGNORE EVERYTHING YOU SAY!"

Then when you point out that you've actually used LRMs least of all (even counting MGs, but not counting flamers or LBX), they'll pick on some other non-point to focus on.

It'll get to the point where you'll need a 40 page word document, accompanying excel file, and a full powerpoint presentation defending your stats, with references and citations (like a doctoral dissertation) all ready and linked to in your sig before you even consider the topic at hand.

"As you can see, I have a Ph.D in lag shooting, therefore you should listen to me when I talk about the price of Camo being TOO LOW!"

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users