3D Warhammer & Rifleman

28 replies to this topic

#1 MagicMurderMan

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:33 AM

I built these in Maya, they are water tight and printable. I'm pretty happy with these, I just started with 3D so I don't know how to do skins yet :P

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:03 AM

Beauty, man! Really well done on the Warhammer! The Rifleman seems a bit wide in the shoulder, but both of those are really fun! Good job!

#3 God of War

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationGermany/Stuttgart

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:27 AM

Sexy! Long live the Unseens!

#4 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:27 AM

I know we probably won't, at least not in their original forms, but I'd pay real money to see the Unseens in action, again. Fortunately, I didn't need to with the Mektek Mekpaks, but I'd love to see the original BattleTech 'Mechs -yes, I know about HG- in their native environment.

#5 ENDMYSUFFERING

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 180 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

Those are awesome for being new! I couldn't do anything like that, that's for sure.

#6 Punk KMSD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

You just started and can produce this kind of work? Very nice. Keep going, want to see your style in a year from now.

Also, TONS of places where you can read to learn how to skin out there on the interwebs.

Basics is a good place to start. When you are doing google searching remember to put what version of Maya you have in the search, ie; basic texturing in maya 2011(or whatever version you are using). Lots of great videos on Utube aswell.

#7 Waylandx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 273 posts
  • LocationAt the computer!

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Great Job! Keep it up.

#8 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

Good work. I like the width on the Rifleman.

#9 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts
  • Location"Mechs are mobile war machines. You're either moving, or you're dead"

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

nice models, bro (tho you used the same lower parts for both, they suit quite well ).

Edited by Caballo, 18 January 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#10 Blackfire1

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

Now go learn how to Rig them and make them battle!

#11 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

Pretty good quality modeling there. They look so clean. The blocks on the shoulders of the Rifleman look like they're on backwards though.

View PostCaballo, on 18 January 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

nice models, bro (tho you used the same lower parts for both, they suit quite well ).

That is how those two are designed. They share the same legs.

#12 Fence

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationYour Mother's Cockpit... Wait...

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

If you could get yourself a 3D printer you could start churning out some nice looking models!

#13 Mother of Grendel

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

I like 'em a lot. Especially the Rifleman.

#14 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostMagicMurderMan, on 14 December 2011 - 03:33 AM, said:

I built these in Maya, they are water tight and printable. I'm pretty happy with these, I just started with 3D so I don't know how to do skins yet ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Its amazing how those look precisely like th figures Yamato released a couple years ago of the macross destroids..

#15 Punk KMSD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

View PostStone Profit, on 23 January 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

Its amazing how those look precisely like th figures Yamato released a couple years ago of the macross destroids..

Yes, I believe they call that Warhammer a Tamahawk, and that RifleMan a ADR-40-MkX Defender(just rolls off the tounge).

And on a totally unrelated topic. Did you know that in the mid 80's in most of Asia more then one company could own the rights to a property? Properts like, oh, I donno...hmm..lets just throw out something random...hmm, OH! Mech designs. :)

The more you know.

#16 ENDMYSUFFERING

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 180 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

What program do you use? I have blender, but It's really confusing and hard to work with sometimes.

#17 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostPunk[KMSD], on 25 January 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

Yes, I believe they call that Warhammer a Tamahawk, and that RifleMan a ADR-40-MkX Defender(just rolls off the tounge).

And on a totally unrelated topic. Did you know that in the mid 80's in most of Asia more then one company could own the rights to a property? Properts like, oh, I donno...hmm..lets just throw out something random...hmm, OH! Mech designs. :)

The more you know.

you obviously missed my point.

#18 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

View PostMagicMurderMan, on 14 December 2011 - 03:33 AM, said:

I built these in Maya, they are water tight and printable. I'm pretty happy with these, I just started with 3D so I don't know how to do skins yet Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I quite like these. Well done. ;)

View PostFence, on 18 January 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

If you could get yourself a 3D printer you could start churning out some nice looking models!

This is a great idea.

#19 Magic Murder Man

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

Hi Guys, sorry it's been so long since I checked in onthis thread I've been pretty busy working on new models and getting these printed.

Here's a shot of them, the rifleman/defender is the raw print the warhammer/tomahawk & zentraedi regult are both resin casts.

Posted Image

Here's a shot of painted version that my friend Maz did (I can't paint that well)
Posted Image

Shot of the updated Rifleman/Defender with corrected cockpit & ammo bins

Posted Image

Scaleshot next to a CBT warhammer

Posted Image

Everything is modelled in Maya, I used some reference pictures from the original macross art books as well as a few online pics of the 1/60 scale yamato toys. I wish i had some as they are awesome but the pics did the job just fine.

The models are about 20% larger than the old battletech minis. I've got a Longbow/Phallanx nearly completed as well as a Marauder/Glaug. At some point I'll be reprinting the rifleman and warhammer as there's a couple of minor details on the legs that aren't 100% correct as I didn't add the hip launcher boxes. The rifleman has already been printed a second time as the ammo boxes and cockpit were too short and stubby on the original CAD model.

I could have modelled these a lot smoother but I needed to keep things blocky on purpose so that it'd show properly when they were printed.

You can read more about the stuff here: www.facebook.com/robotechminiatures

I have permisison from HG to develope these as prototype models, (none of them are for sale so please don't ask). There is a small chance that they will be able to be produced in the future but there is a lot of discussion we need to do first.

As far as the modelling I'm still learning, I'm going to apply to see if I can get accepted for 3d classes. Tthese models will likely be part of my portfollio. It's something I'm serious about pursuing professionally, but it's been 10 years since I attended college so I'm a bit rusty and I'm totally out of the loop on newer programs like Zbrush. (I'm learning on maya 09)

I have a background in photoshop but currently no formal training in 3d. Everything I've leqarned is pretty much self taught with a focus on making models aimed for printing rather than animation.

I've also been working on this which is a generic mecha I'm calling the Jabberwok. (it's still in a very rough stage)

Posted Image

Edited by Magic Murder Man, 28 May 2012 - 12:58 AM.

#20 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:52 AM

Very nice work.
A question though, may seem stupid...How much can you scale these up when 3D printing ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users