New Trees Will Kill Mwo In Current State

59 replies to this topic

#1 DRACULATHEHUN

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

The monitization of the current skill trees will discourage the buying of mech packs and all other customization to the point that the game will become unfun and unplayable.

This is only my 5th post, I'm not a forumwarrior, but when I found out about SKILLS COSTING CBILLS I realized it's a terrible idea and will kill the game.

If it's put out with a cbill cost beyond like 20k a node (A LOW cost. LOW.) then this will KILL customization which is what keeps people playing.

How do you feel about it, mechwarriors?

Edited by DRACULATHEHUN, 11 February 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:47 PM

The Skill Tree, as it is now, has been pushed back a month because of the overwhelmingly huge 'What in the hell is this ****' response from the players. So we'll see how it goes after they tweek the math.

Edited by Bombast, 11 February 2017 - 05:56 PM.

#3 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

There have been other threads on this including mine but they've been jettisoned to the PTS feedback forum. I fully agree. I have 110 mechs, most of which are elite or mastered. They are saying the XP on all these mechs will be stripped away and I will not have the cbills to put it back on. It would cost me 1.1 billion cbills to level up these mechs on top of what I've already spent to customize them. At the moment I have 100 million saved and I am not a compulsive module buyer so I don't have a bid refund coming.

You are right though, at the current rate a top level mech pack costs $80 on average for 12 mechs. They expect you to not only come up with the standard amount to customize them and apply DHS but an additional almost 110 million to level them up. That's 850 games or more of cbills just for the level unlocks.

-k

#4 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

Meh. It's just one more reason to go play a different game or stick with only a very few mechs in niche roles.From what I've read the skill tree is just as locked as current skills and about as useless. Instead of picking only the skills *I want* to make say for example the ultimate lrm catapult C1 puting any and all skills or whatever to make lrms uber great for my C1 from lrm tracking,lrm speed,lrm spread,lock on time reduction,target decay increases I still have to waste points or skills on ones I do not want at all.

Or I have to waste a skill in order to unlock the one next to it that I might want. They might as well scrap the mech lab and force every one to use stock only mechs with no customization at all.

#5 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:57 PM

Posted Image

It will be fine. The cost is actually cheaper if you have been buying mods for each and every mech, and yes there are people who do this. Why? because module hunting is a pain in the *** and wastes time I could be blowing mechs up. As for re-specializing a mech get it right the first time and then you do not have to worry, but if you don't all you have to do is a little grind to fix it. No real world money has to be spent on this game unless you want to. Just like all other free-to-play games it is a cost of real money to cut down the time of the grind.

#6 Sgt Ironballs

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

They've already said mech pack structure is going to change. I predict per mech prices + cbill's to cover full specs (replaces modules from preorders), and premium time to help with XP. If they price them like 5/6/7/8$ per class it would be pretty compelling.

It wouldn't help at all with vets with large stables, but they already made their money off of them.

#7 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:09 PM

View PostDRACULATHEHUN, on 11 February 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

It punishes experimentation and diverse loadouts but encourages boating.
The grand idea of a skill system isnt bad, the way its currently implemented is.

Besides that its a new CB-sink, I like to switch back and forth between 2xLPL and 2xLL on a given mech. Currently all it requires to optimize that build is to buy a module for 3Mio. ONCE. It can then be equipped/unequipped for free as I wish.
With the new skill tree it costs CBills to optimize the build every single time.

Bigger changes of course get more expensive.
Changing from 2xLPL+2xUAC5 to 4xML+2xAC10 = big respec.
Changing from 4xML+2xAC10 to 4xMPL+2xLBX10 = big respec.

Module hunting isnt great either but that could have easily been solved by adding a module-finder to the UI.

Better to stick with the good old 3ERPPC loadout and dont change it until its hit by the mighty nerfhammer for whatever reasons there might are. Yay diversity.

#8 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostKdogg788, on 11 February 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

There have been other threads on this including mine but they've been jettisoned to the PTS feedback forum. I fully agree. I have 110 mechs, most of which are elite or mastered. They are saying the XP on all these mechs will be stripped away and I will not have the cbills to put it back on. It would cost me 1.1 billion cbills to level up these mechs on top of what I've already spent to customize them. At the moment I have 100 million saved and I am not a compulsive module buyer so I don't have a bid refund coming.

You are right though, at the current rate a top level mech pack costs $80 on average for 12 mechs. They expect you to not only come up with the standard amount to customize them and apply DHS but an additional almost 110 million to level them up. That's 850 games or more of cbills just for the level unlocks.

-k

In other words, you spent your C-bills buying more mechs instead of fully kitting out the ones you already had. Now, you will have a large number of mechs and not enough to fully kit them out. That's what YOU CHOSE to do.

Other people chose to fully kit out their mechs which means they didn't have the C-bills to purchase large numbers of mechs. That's what THEY CHOSE to do.

Now, you'll spend your time earning C-bills to kit them out and they'll spend their time earning C-bills to buy new mechs. Seems pretty fair to me.

#9 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

View PostClownwarlord, on 11 February 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

It will be fine. The cost is actually cheaper if you have been buying mods for each and every mech, and yes there are people who do this. Why? because module hunting is a pain in the *** and wastes time I could be blowing mechs up. As for re-specializing a mech get it right the first time and then you do not have to worry, but if you don't all you have to do is a little grind to fix it. No real world money has to be spent on this game unless you want to. Just like all other free-to-play games it is a cost of real money to cut down the time of the grind.

Module Hunting is a pain in the *** but more people do it than not

That being said, not everybody has as many modules as you may have and the people who module switch shouldn't be put at such a huge disadvantage for being thrifty.

And yes, no real money has to be spent on this game, and if you want PGI to continue to appeal to only Battletechs small aging fanbase, that's fine, but the small group of us who are as emotionally invested in the franchise are not enough to keep PGI afloat when they implement ****** business practices.

I myself would much rather see more casual players in this game so they can help keep this plane in the air.

Implementing this stupid tree will pretty much give a lot of people good reason not to play anymore.

Edited by Destructicus, 11 February 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#10 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

The biggest issue I have is, we have the same broken pos skill tree in game right now that has been broken since game open beta launch (can tell you about alpha or closed beta because was not apart of). This new skill tree even though not perfect is a step in the right direction. Enough said, drop mic.

View PostDestructicus, on 11 February 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

Module Hunting is a pain in the *** but more people do it than not

That being said, not everybody has as many modules as you may have and the people who module switch shouldn't be put at such a huge disadvantage for being thrifty.

And yes, no real money has to be spent on this game, and if you want PGI to continue to appeal to only Battletechs small aging fanbase, that's fine, but the small group of us who are as emotionally invested in the franchise are not enough to keep PGI afloat when they implement ****** business practices.

I myself would much rather see more casual players in this game so they can help keep this plane in the air.

Implementing this stupid tree will pretty much give a lot of people good reason not to play anymore.

It isn't thrifty. Its being cheap with those Cbills.

As for the grind WOT is worse.

#11 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostClownwarlord, on 11 February 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

The biggest issue I have is, we have the same broken pos skill tree in game right now that has been broken since game open beta launch (can tell you about alpha or closed beta because was not apart of). This new skill tree even though not perfect is a step in the right direction. Enough said, drop mic.

It isn't thrifty. Its being cheap with those Cbills.

Cbills that could be better spent on mechs and actual content, not attempting to make your mech with it's 1mil DHS tax viable.

Edited by Destructicus, 11 February 2017 - 06:27 PM.

#12 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

View PostDRACULATHEHUN, on 11 February 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

The monitization of the current skill trees will discourage the buying of mech packs and all other customization to the point that the game will become unfun and unplayable.

This is only my 5th post, I'm not a forumwarrior, but when I found out about SKILLS COSTING CBILLS I realized it's a terrible idea and will kill the game.

If it's put out with a cbill cost beyond like 20k a node (A LOW cost. LOW.) then this will KILL customization which is what keeps people playing.

There are no MC requirements for anything on the skill tree. None. Not respecing, not leveling up. Everything can be done with Cbills and normal mech XP.

It is not "monetized" once you consider that there is no cash requirement whatsoever.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 11 February 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#13 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

I just bought an NTG and LBK pack after a bit of a hiatus.

I wish I hadn't have ******* bothered. PGI, Russ et al are nothing but a ******* screw up.

I don't give a flying **** that they might be BT fans from way back from when it never actually mattered. Right here and now, they are totally incapable of producing an online multiplayer game based on the BT franchise.

Absolute ******* idiots.

#14 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

If only people saw this coming when it was announced. If only...

#15 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:57 PM

View PostBombast, on 11 February 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

So we'll see how it goes after they tweek the math.

That's some lucky math. I thought it was just gonna get tweaked.

#16 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:08 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 11 February 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

If only people saw this coming when it was announced. If only...

We did. Made threads about it, even.

#17 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

I saw it all. Expected it not to be such a complete **** up.

But then I remembered "PGI", after it was too late.

#18 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:14 PM

View PostBombast, on 11 February 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

The Skill Tree, as it is now, has been pushed back a month because of the overwhelmingly huge 'What in the hell is this ****' response from the players. So we'll see how it goes after they tweek the math.

Sadly I expect this to get torpedoed again rather than adjusted as people are freaking out without actually taking a close look at everything.

Which is why I have not bought the Javelin or the Assassin (the mech I have been waiting for since I started playing this game). PGI needs to show some backbone. This listening to the vocal minority causing the game to cease and desist all development is getting old.

#19 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

View PostCementi, on 11 February 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

Sadly I expect this to get torpedoed again rather than adjusted as people are freaking out without actually taking a close look at everything.

Which is why I have not bought the Javelin or the Assassin (the mech I have been waiting for since I started playing this game). PGI needs to show some backbone. This listening to the vocal minority causing the game to cease and desist all development is getting old.

Except everyone, and I mean everyone, wants this Skill Tree to work. Everyone.

Unlike ED, we're all on board for this new system. We just think PGI is royally screwing it up.

EDIT: Ok, not everyone. There's that weird guy who keeps saying skills have no place in Mechwarrior and never has.

Edited by Bombast, 11 February 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

The simplest way to put it is this...

"But this plan backfired completely because collectable (mech) games are designed around the idea that... part of what makes them sticky, part of what makes them hard to give up... is that you are invested in your collection. So when the latest thing (PGI) did made them all worthless (since you have to dump shitloads of cbills into unlocking skill trees that your EXPERIENCE POINTS should be doing), a lot of people said `Huh, well maybe now's a good time to quit.`"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users