#41 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 19 February 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

Your anecdotal experience does not make it a fact, and certainly not one that universally applies to everyone in this game. The fact in my gaming experience, ia that having VOIP on does not statistically increase the likelihood of winning. It is not that its not a useful too, as it can be. Your argument however, fails to consider whether people use the tool properly or not to a degree significant enough to produce wins.

More Teamwork does not increase chances of winning. Noted.

So keep it up with the petty insults and enjoy the VOIP if it suits you. More people aruge, troll or continue to play any sorta way they want in solo queue than its worth to me to put on, so I will leave it off.

People very rarely use voip to ***** at each others. It does not even happen once every night and i personally dont talk but i use it by listening.

Why you feel the need to rave against people for playing the game differently is beyond me.

You do what you want in game, i cant force you to listen to directive or go above and beyond to be a team player. Most of the time the team only need 6 guys to be in on the plan but hopefully they are the heavies and assaults. The rest can provide covers and leech damage/kills from the side and back. Playing an objective based multiplayer game and leaving voip off is a weird thing to do. Enjoy your solo gaming at the expense of everyone else.

#42 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

Oh boy, catfight of the 1%s! Lemme get mah popcorn!!!!!

#43 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 19 February 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

More Teamwork does not increase chances of winning. Noted..

Confirmation bias sighted.

You assume use of VOIP in solo queue equates to increased teamwork automatically. It does not.
You imply use of VOIP is somehoe the only way to play teamball in this game. Far from it.

If using it resulted in LESS actual wins after a decent sized sampling was taken on and off, why would you stick to either of those assumptions so blindly?

I play with the team, maintain situational awareness and seem to be doing just fine. Win just as often (slightly more in fact) with VOIP off as I do with it on. So clearly, VOIP isnt dramatically increasing my chances to win this team based, objective based FPS, so what is your ******* problem with aomeone not choosing to use it? Im not hurting your chances of winning clearly, so why do you insist on arguing against actual facts?

VOIP offers a TOOL that folks can use. In solo queue, at a certain point, there is clear evidence that the tool isnt always readily used effectively, but knuckleheads abound.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 February 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

Oh boy, catfight of the 1%s! Lemme get mah popcorn!!!!!

Are you referring to my cbill count? ;)

#44 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 19 February 2017 - 06:24 PM, said:

You assume use of VOIP in solo queue equates to increased teamwork automatically. It does not.
You imply use of VOIP is somehoe the only way to play teamball in this game. Far from it.

If using it resulted in LESS actual wins after a decent sized sampling was taken on and off, why would you stick to either of those assumptions so blindly?

I play with the team, maintain situational awareness and seem to be doing just fine. Win just as often (slightly more in fact) with VOIP off as I do with it on. So clearly, VOIP isnt dramatically increasing my chances to win this team based, objective based FPS, so what is your ******* problem with aomeone not choosing to use it? Im not hurting your chances of winning clearly, so why do you insist on arguing against actual facts?

VOIP offers a TOOL that folks can use. In solo queue, at a certain point, there is clear evidence that the tool isnt always readily used effectively, but knuckleheads abound.

Are you referring to my cbill count? Posted Image

Voip is teamwork. You are just trying to justify you aversion to it.

#45 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

VOIP is a communications tool that can facilitate teamwork. You are trying to reinvent the English language.

I am merely stating that in my experience, the tool doesnt get used well enough in solo queue for me to feel compelled to use it, when there are negatives to using it in solo queue as well. Since there is no factual basis to assume VOIP will dramatically improve my odds at winning, and my personal experience with some folks on it has been less than steller, I choose not to use it.

I hoped VOIP would increase coordination in game, but like anything open on the internet, knew it risked abuse and stupidity. Ive found the latter has pretty much balanced out the former, so there go. Your mileage may vary obviously. But your opinion and experience arent facts simply because you say they are. You need a little Kelly Anne Conway in your life if you wanna sell some alternative facts lol.

#46 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 19 February 2017 - 06:24 PM, said:

Are you referring to my cbill count? Posted Image

mebbe..... Posted Image

#47 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:07 PM

Well I expect to be back at billionaire status once the skill tree refund strikes! (1.392 in modules currently)

Edited by Lukoi Banacek, 19 February 2017 - 07:07 PM.

#48 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

Where to start.

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 19 February 2017 - 06:37 PM, said:

VOIP is a communications tool that can facilitate teamwork.

Happy you changed your mind.

I am merely stating that in my experience, the tool doesnt get used well enough in solo queue for me to feel compelled to use it,

Doh! You changed your mind again.

Since there is no factual basis to assume VOIP will dramatically improve my odds at winning, and my personal experience with some folks on it has been less than steller, I choose not to use it.

Ofcourse there is. Ever since voip was used in video games it was used to help winning. As far as MWO goes, Ive experienced it in quick play, in group play and in CW. But please keep your eyes closed. oh, Why do you keep using the word "Dramatically"? At which point is increasing your odds of winning good for you?

You need a little Kelly Anne Conway in your life if you wanna sell some alternative facts lol.

You're the one who keep telling me there is no evidence that it works but you know it doesnt. You sound just like every single time Spicer tries to explain another lie from that beautiful orange man(dont we love him all? dear god...). There is empirical evidence that voip works. Its used in every single competitive video game at every level. It wins game, always has always will.

Edited by DAYLEET, 19 February 2017 - 08:17 PM.

#49 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

I think in the solo queue about 10% of the drops you get constructive, well-organized calls. The rest of the time it's a dog's breakfast of bad calls, no details (grid reference, saying "Focus on the enforcer" instead of the alphabetical tag, etc), or just outright noise that isn't useful to anyone.

#50 PurplePuke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 19 February 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

Secondly, as noted above....it's not a fact. Statistically, for me (your mileage of course, clearly varies), it in fact does not dramatically increase my chance of winning. After tracking it for hundreds of matches, and then turning it off, my WLR went up (albeit a statistically irrelevant amount) which in my case means it has ZERO real bearing on my chance of winning.

Funny how quick folks are to attack arguments with insults when they don't gain traction with actual logic imo.

Your little experiment doesn't prove anything because you turned your VOIP off but didn't control for any other variables.

Variables like:
  • Improving at the game
  • Improving with certain mechs
  • Improving certain playstyles
  • Mastering/Eliting mechs
  • Having better teammates
  • Improving with certain weapons
  • Gaining access to more weapon modules
All of those things can improve your W/L and you didn't control for any of them.

Your conclusion that turning off VOIP "has ZERO real bearing on my chance of winning" is demonstrably false.

As for your last statement about logic, your logic is false.
As for your statement about people attacking arguments with insults, you are correct. People like doing that for whatever reason.

Cheers mate

Edited by PurplePuke, 19 February 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#51 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:09 PM

Turning off your VOIP is a weak way out and an admission on your part that your skin is thin, OP. There's always going to be someone (or sometimes a few people) who abuses the VOIP in an effort to be disruptive or rude. Mute them. Outside of that, the VOIP is an indispensable tool for getting info from your team that he/she may have neither the time nor desire to type something into the team chat. By turning it off, you may miss crucial intel that could have helped you stay alive, help your team, or win the match.

Whatever works for you though, I guess. I'm adult enough to just put the BS aside and manage through.

Edited by Ghostrider0067, 19 February 2017 - 08:26 PM.

#52 Bogus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:09 AM

I keep VOIP disabled, but that's mostly because I'm often in a non MWO related TS channel while playing. The few times I've had it enabled, the locals were reasonable enough.

#53 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:26 AM

I don't blame you, OP. For a short while, I switched off both VOIP and chat, when I realized I spent far too much energy on rude people. After a while, I switched it back on.

Sometimes I've also switched off chat and VOIP if I wanted a bit of immersion, playing some cool soundtracks while enjoying the game. Listening to people talk about beer and bacon in VOIP can ruin the mood sometimes, so I'll switch it off if the mood strikes me.

It's neither arrogant nor rude or anything of the sort. The internet is all about freedom, you play this game however you'd like to play it, as long as you're not griefing.

Of course, it would be a bit easier to sympathize with you if you didn't refer to other people as clowns and stuff, but nobody's perfect.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 20 February 2017 - 02:30 AM.

#54 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:36 PM

Hey, don't make fun of him guys. It's tough to socialize in a social game. Posted Image

#55 Click

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

In my time playing this game, since voice chat was introduced, I've seen mostly everything:

The ocasional "haha look at me I'm so funny" annoying soundboard idiot;
Drunk/stoned dudes (these are fun sometimes);
Random player trying to talk with everyone else in their native tongue;
Ear splitting autistic screeches after someone is killed;
Mocking of other players accents (french are sissies, germans naz**, you get the idea);
Mocking of younger players (ie. go play minecraft kiddo/has your mom told you about the birds and the bees?);
Thirsty comments after noticing a female nickname;
Generally uncooperative iknowbetterthaneveryoneelse a**holes;
Random chatterboxes/whiners and whatnot;

All of these ranging from harmless comments to downright infuriating. After playing on and off since the beta I think I can safely say that generally it's not that bad. In most matches everyone cooperates and most situations that arise can be solved with a "well f*** you too buddy" and a mute.

But when it IS bad, because sometimes it DOES get bad, I don't think enough is done to punish harassers. Let me just expose two situations I remember, where the game was totally derailed because some dude in my team was that big of a douchebag.

First off was one guy harassing a female player. This was over a year ago so I can't really remember the exact situation but it was something in the lines of "so do robots make you horny/heavy breathing into mic/do you like girls too/what are you wearing". Funny thing is the supposed girl never even spoke so we didn't know if she was hearing him, but nevertheless, **** man I remember feeling like if it were in person it'd be I'm-reporting-you-to-the-police-you-might-hurt-someone grade stuff.. Meanwhile we were all distracted and got curbstomped. I think most of us reported him for whatever good it was.

Second situation was a few months ago, there was one guy with an arab accent trying to organize the team as the match started. Cue the a**hole.
"Hey, are you a muslim?" he asked the arab accent dude.
"What?"
"Are you a muslim?"
"...? Yes."
*insert racist rambling about terrorists and freedom and bible/quran comparisons and do you believe in fairytales and someone being a paedophile*

The guy being harassed mutes him, so he turns to the rest of the team - "how can you defend paedophiles?" We reported him, most of us at least, but not before the match got derailed. Why were you all still at spawn asked the other team..

Now you say "if everyone was quicker on the mute button it would be easy to settle", and I agree. But saying that and being there are two different things. When you see one of these surreal situations developing in front of your own eyes you want these mouthbreathers to get bent and shut up. I mean it's not just some random a**hole sniper cicada that can't teamplay talking **** back at you when you're trying to organize the team a little. It's something on a whole other level entirely, something that should be punished, people like that should be weeded out of society the playerbase and I honestly don't think that has happened, not even once, ever, in the history of this game.

So yea, sometimes I feel like turning off the voice chat too. Or sticking to the EU servers, that helps a bit, probably because people generally talk less there. Then I notice the MM delay..then I remember the times I've been saved by a 2 second long headsup..and I go back in again. Better the devil you know I guess.

Edited by Click, 20 February 2017 - 06:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users