31 replies to this topic

#21 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

Linebacker if you want to drive a fast medium. Hellbringer if you want ECM (I use them to brawl). Night Gyr for range or poptart. Timber for range or brawl. Timbers and Gyrs are priority targets over HellBees or Ebon Jags and Linebackers are lower. Mad dogs are fun too, but are the highest priority target.

Cheers!

#22 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

View Post762 NATO, on 14 March 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

Mad dogs are fun too, but are the highest priority target.

I must say, I've never heard the Mad Dog being a higher priority target over a Timber or Night Gyr. Though I wont deny that they can be effective though...

#23 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

72 points of splat or a never ending rain of annoyance is usually a higher priority for the groups I run in. To each their own of course. :P

Cheers!

#24 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

View PostProbably Not, on 19 February 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Night Gyr is absurdly good. Timby is good, is faster than the Gyr, but the Gyr edges it out for payload and hitboxes, I think.

I suppose it really depends on whether you prefer brawling or not. Timby is better in a brawl. Gyr can manage in a brawl, but it's better at range.

Yeah. I agree on what you said. They are both equal in strength but differs in roles. I got Gyrs and like them, I have tried to stay away from the most used mech, since I like the "underdogs/ non-meta/less known/less used mechs." Timber Wolves, Adders, Kodiaks, Stormcrows, naaaah. Dont want to get them at all, even if they are great.

#25 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:14 AM

TIMBERWOLF!!!

Awuuuuuuuuuuf!

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:33 AM

Hello, Gravekeeper?

Yes, another one of your threads came back to life and trying to escape.

#27 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:00 AM

Buy Hellbringer.
Put lasers on it.
Profit.

#28 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

I would say the single best heavy (at least for me) clan side right now has to be the hellbringer. its got ECM, its got crazy good hardpoints (and not only are they in good locations but its got alot of versatility allowing energy, cannons, and missiles), and its hitboxes are better then the ebon and timby (you have a bad facetanking profile, but if you need to shield the CT or a ST, you can do it no prob). Pretty much its the meta right now as it can abuse the stupid HLLs to achieve things like 78 alfa at 500m (good luck outtrading that), it can run very good gauss vomit builds, and it can do uac vomit as well (albeit its not the best mech at this due to tonnage limits).

Close seconds would prolly be the timber or ebon, with the timby obviously way better suited to taking any sort of fire and being the best of these 3 mechs for brawling, but the ebon does ballistics way better, and they both have more or less identical pod space. My personal issue with the ebon is its stupid shoulder boxes if you want to use the hillpoking mounts (or just boat crazy amount of lasers), since those are instantly focused super hard and they make the mech loose over half its offensive ability when shot. Followed by those 2 is the orion2c, which is niche (the only thing is really does well is brawl with a mix of SRMs and cannons), but its the best clan brawler heavy, and probably the only heavy mech on clan side id even consider going head on at short range against IS. Quirked like crazy, and its no slug mobility wise either, just somewhat obvious hitboxes and the inability to do mid range well is what keeps me from actually playing em.

Aside from that you have 3 more heavies that i personally dont enjoy, the night gyr, summoner and linebacker. The linebacker is 100% obsoleted by the stormcrow (which has more tonnage, more hardpoint choices, and better hitboxes) even if it has its niche applications (which btw the crow can do as well if not better). The night gyr got shat on in the recent balancing and is now more sluggish then most 90t assaults, and its one true niche, poptarting gauss+ppc, was also killed by one of the patches. Yeah i guess it can carry alot of firepower, but combination of being enormous, being focused down worse then timbers, and its so-so hitboxes (which cant even be shielded that well since it moves too slow) render it a glass cannon that rarely is able to even contribute outside of sniping with dual gauss or ac-2s. Finally, the summoner has one and ONLY one thing it can do well vs the rest, poptarting with 2 ppcs. Ofc if you consider that there are other mechs which can do this almost if not as well (hunch2c, hunstman, ect), its a little less interesting, and while its got above average hitboxes/tankiness, that alone doesnt make up for the fact that its got barely any tonnage to fit guns onboard and way too many locked JJs.

As for IS, my fav heavy has to be the mad3r, since its got absurd quirks for tanking damage, it can carry a decently varied loadout depending of what you like (3 cannon slots and 4 energy slots), and it just looks so damn cool. Personally i like gauss, 2 LPL, 2 ERML, since it combines very good mid range weapons with a heat free harassment gun which can still hurt stuff at ~1km. Its more DPS focused then most clan mechs, but if you can get 10 seconds against a single target and not get focused or flanked too much, you can easily get 2-3 solo kills in that thing just focusing CT and abusing the fact that the 2 LPLs may as well be PPFLD with such short burn times.

No other IS heavys that i tried really spoke to me though, warhammer was ok but very generic (lasor vomit isnt that exciting to run and isnt that big a deal for IS anyway), cataphract (terrible hardpoints), grasshopper (too generic, not big fan of mechs that cant do anything but spam pew), rifleman was ok i guess (albeit subpar since no loadout i tried on it really worked, gauss vomit being my fav but even that was bad compared to the competition).

#29 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

Unless you know what you're doing, stay away from the summoner and orion 2C, every other mech is pretty good.

add: summoner and Orion are good too, just need to know what to do with them and use them.

I'd say: Hellbringer>ebon jag>timberwolf>linebacker>nightgyr>mad dog

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 02 September 2017 - 03:51 PM.

#30 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

Three months with no reply here... I'm sure the creator of this thread has already made their choice by now...

#31 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:51 PM

View PostTesunie, on 02 September 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Three months with no reply here... I'm sure the creator of this thread has already made their choice by now...

Or he's just thinking really carefully which mech to buy...

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users