*post Updated* Latest News Regarding Upcoming Skill Tree Pts

368 replies to this topic

#21 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:54 PM

Too bad we are not seeing this version live in game tomorrow.

#22 singh44s

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:09 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 20 February 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

These mostly look like good changes. My only reticence comes from the apparent retention of the spiderweb system instead of an actual tree with branches.

From the wording used throughout, it sounds that way to me as well. I guess someone high up the decision hierarchy really likes single-priced nodes with desirable ones hidden behind/below unwanted nodes.

Wait and see mode engaged.

#23 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

Le sigh, why do the nodes have to cost cbills/mc anyways? Wasn't the very fact that they cost currency one of, if not the most complained about aspects of the new system?

#24 linux4eva

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

Really positive news! Especially mobility changes are very promising.
With all that feedback both constructive and non constructive criticism of the new system there were doubts.
Thanks for listening to the player base opinions! Keep it up PGI!

#25 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 20 February 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

Firepower

While the various Firepower Skill Branches were intended to provide players with a similar analogue to the Module system, the distinct Branches overwhelmingly favored single-weapon Loadouts and provided ‘Mechs suited to that configuration with a significant number of Skill Points to invest elsewhere. ‘Mechs with an array of Hardpoints of different types did not share that freedom.

In the upcoming PTS update you’ll see a significant rework of the distinct Firepower Skill Branch into a single, all-encompassing Firepower Branch. All individual Weapon Branches have been removed, such as the LBX Skill Branch or the Autocannon Skill Branch. The new Firepower Branch will contain Skill Nodes which provide universal bonuses to all weapons. There are no longer distinct Cooldown Nodes specifically for Autocannon weaponry, for example. In their place are all-encompassing Weapon Cooldown Nodes affecting all Ballistic, Energy, and Missile weaponry.

Some weapon-specific Nodes such as UAC Jam Chance and Gauss Extended Charge do still remain, and will be located in a Ballistic ‘hemisphere’ of the Firepower Tree. Laser Duration Nodes also still remain, located in an Energy hemisphere of the Firepower Tree, while Missile Spread Nodes are located in a Missile hemisphere.

The goal here is to provide players with more options for skilling ‘Mechs with multiple Hardpoint types, ensuring that investing into Firepower Skills will provide the same benefits to a much larger variety of builds.

More detailed information regarding the consolidated Firepower Tree will be provided when the PTS update arrives.

HALLELUJAH!

Praise Robot Jesus! The day has arrived!

Posted Image

PGI listened to feedback!

It's happening!

#26 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:41 PM

I'm really looking forward to this

#27 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 20 February 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

Le sigh, why do the nodes have to cost cbills/mc anyways? Wasn't the very fact that they cost currency one of, if not the most complained about aspects of the new system?

The presence of the cost wasn't the issue, it was the excessive cost that had people angry.

If you approach it logically, upgrading systems on and physical components of your mechs would demand resources and techs. If we are very lucky, they may start building around that eventually and create a more expansive experience in the mechlab eventually (that's a hint for next year PGI ;) )

#28 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:12 PM

N337.

I look forward to the next testing session.

PS: I'm still unsure about the respec cost, but it looks like the new system should be do-able; particularly if we can accumulate extra experience in order to avoid playing a respecced 'mech without a full skill loadout.

Edited by Void Angel, 20 February 2017 - 10:10 PM.

#29 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:13 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 20 February 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

Hmmm, so heavier mechs cannot waist twisting crazily as fast as now? Good for me and rest of people who play light mechs.

Might not be the case. Mechs running small engines might increase in speed. I would guess only the max engine group will get a nerf.

#30 Ravenlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 262 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 20 February 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

Yes, five and a half million cbills per mech is still a hefty amount, but my biggest gripe remains with respecing not being free.. Poke mech collectors really suffer from this and incidentally those are the people that make PGI the most money with all the mech paks and mech bays they buy. Not a smart move if you ask me.

View PostMonkey Lover, on 20 February 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

Might not be the case. Mechs running small engines might increase in speed. I would guess only the max engine group will get a nerf.

My Dire Wolf approves <3

Edited by Ravenlord, 20 February 2017 - 10:16 PM.

#31 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:20 PM

Every change sounds good to me. I wish they talked a little more about mech balancing. Hopefully they're working on this too.

#32 Taxxian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:30 PM

Those are great changes indeed!

Except for the Spider Web, but we will have to live with that.

#33 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:06 PM

XP and C-Bill costs of mastering a mech are going down? Good, looks like PGI did listen to player feedback! Respeccing now costs XP? Bad, I'd rather pay the C-Bills to circumvent the hated grind.

I'm also not sure about decoupling mobility from engine size. Looks like a straight nerf to Clan mechs with large engines :( Which is what PGI is probably trying to do, as usual.

#34 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:10 PM

This looks promising...

#35 Raven-kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 299 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:22 PM

View Postmp00, on 20 February 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

One of the things I'm most happy with is the skill tree isn't being rolled out right away.
I would rather see it tested, revised, tested, revised, tested etc. until solid.
To hard to put the genie back into the bottle.

So the new tree system isnt for release on the 21'st of feb?

#36 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:34 PM

Not bad. Can't wait to test it out. The engine changes could help to level the playing field a bit. Eager to see how the health changes to components play without the bug killing them instantly, hoping it means a greater TTK.

Equally satisfied to hear the changes to weapon tree and the inclusion of crit reduction in survival. I'm also curious and worried to see how you've changed the trees. Finally we have a system that doesn't completely cater to boating. Not that boating is going to be any less effective, it's just now mix builds won't be as marginalized.

And of course JJs getting more boost from their skills. It really was hardly noticeable. Hopefully now we can tell the difference in a meaningful way.

#37 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:08 AM

This sounds like a step in a good direction.
GJ PGI Posted Image

Edited by TheCharlatan, 21 February 2017 - 12:08 AM.

#38 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:25 AM

Jesus Christ, PGI listens to community!

#39 - Pestilence -

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:26 AM

I never was an optimist but...

View PostTheCharlatan, on 21 February 2017 - 12:08 AM, said:

This sounds like a step in a good direction.
GJ PGI Posted Image

#40 AngrySpartan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:20 AM

Definetely pleasant news! Most of the players feedback taken into consideration, that's nice!

Placeholder skills (like arm movement) are still there I guess, but we shall see. Going down from 9.1 to 5.4mil and 72k XP to fully upgrade your mech is much better than before, yet still feels excessive. It will still require billions of C-Bills for many people to remaster their mechs. Half XP price for reaquiring dropped nodes is nice though.

And yay! Engines no longer define your mobility! I was in favour of this long time ago. Hopefully you guys will not forget about so-so mechs with fixed bigger engines, like Executioner, Gargoyle, Ice Ferret, Linebacker, Warhawk, Viper, etc. Those engine mobility gave them an edge over comparable chassis, sometimes it was the only thing that made them semi-viable in the first place. E.g. the only reason to take Warhawk instead of Night Gyr was it's superior mobility with 340XL, don't screw it please!

Edited by AngrySpartan, 21 February 2017 - 01:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users