Victor Or Zeus, Search For A Fun Assault.

34 replies to this topic

#1 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:34 PM

I'm kinda reaching a point where i'd like to try and get back into assaults, i was eyeing up the Victor or Zeus 6T. Anyone got any advice or words of wisdom.

#2 DelRico

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 67 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:39 AM

I have one of each (Not 6T but still) And I must say they are really hard to love :/

Zeus has missiles on its arm, making it either a easily destroyable LRM luncher or a bulky SRM Artemis shotgun with few lasers to support and few choices in balistic combination for the other arm, depending on the strenght of your SRM shotgun...

The Victor is weird, My Dragon has almost the same gear and its tubes makes missiles builds awkward... Its main appeal is the possibility to carry an AC20 in its arm (but is this really a plus?) and the fact it can fly (going up a ledge to surprise a sniper light is fun.... But rare)

I'd say the Battlemaster and Stalkers have way more possibilities. But Still, I love my Victor and Zeus, even if I keep overing between tier 4 and 3 trying to find out what to make of them.

Edited by DelRico, 11 February 2017 - 07:40 AM.

#3 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

I have Stalkers and Wubmasters.

#4 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

i used to run all the Zeus fairly often until the rescale. I did own Victor but its the only mech ive sold off instead of basicing. i dont like Victor much myself.

Zeus can still do it but the size increase hurt it in my opinion. 6T is good for missiles of any kind and can carry some lasers. a decent if hot build with 3 PPC and some SRMs works ok. 5S is the tanky one and has a ballistic slot. My favourite is the 6S personally its the only one i still run occasionally.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3de42d61bf683ad
It certainly isnt the hardest hitting build but its fast and cold and gets decent long range synergy if the enemy is distracted. 1x Gauss, 1x ac2, 4x ML. Gauss+ac2 have similiar ranges and the same velocity, you can hammer people pretty hard out to 800m if you need, MLs make ok back up.

A better build but for the 9S2
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c8b5bd916678db3
1x LB10, 1x AC2, 1x LL, 1x SL, 3x ASRM4, STD 260.
Moves a bit slower, ok heat wise but hits a hell of alot harder than the other Zeus i use. I run the same build on my Highlander 733C (it has a ac5 instead of a 2 though).

Hope this helps, my builds arent the greatest usually though. i find the 9S2 and 6S the best Zeus personally.

#5 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 11 February 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

I have Stalkers and Wubmasters.

And your next choices are VTR or ZEU? Did you lose a bet or something? These are probably the two worst assaults on the IS side (yes, even weaker than the AWS).

#6 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:34 PM

View PostTercieI, on 11 February 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

And your next choices are VTR or ZEU? Did you lose a bet or something? These are probably the two worst assaults on the IS side (yes, even weaker than the AWS).

No i'm just bored of all of the "meta" mechs i have.

#7 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:08 PM

I like my victors, I have still yet to make any really awseome Zeus mechs.

As odd as it sounds having the ballistic in the left arm really messes with my head in matches.

For that reason alone I like the victors better. Plus Jump Jets make for great overall mech. These are the builds I'm using currently, nothing overly impressive, but they are all fun. The 9k variant is very much like a mini Heavy Metal.

9S - 2xUAC/5 + 2xLL
9B - 3xAC/2 + 2xML
9K - 1xGauss + 3xLL
DS - 1xGauss + 2xERPPC

The main thing the Zeus has going for it, is the variants with the 3x missle arm. Splat ASRM18 is fun.

6T - 3xASRM6 + 3xLPL
5S - 3xASRM6 + 3xML + Gauss
9S2 - 3xASRM6 + Gauss (larger engine then 5S)
9S - 3xLPL + 3xML
6S - Gauss + 4xLL

Obviously there are MANY more options. The victor can get away with XL much better then the Zeus can, IMO.

Hope you have fun either way.

#8 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 11 February 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

No i'm just bored of all of the "meta" mechs i have.

Fair enough. Full disclosure: I didn't hate Zeuses. Can do some decent ranged builds (gauss/ERLLs or racks of ERLLs) and the ASRM18 fist o' doom is pretty fun.

#9 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

View PostTercieI, on 11 February 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

Fair enough. Full disclosure: I didn't hate Zeuses. Can do some decent ranged builds (gauss/ERLLs or racks of ERLLs) and the ASRM18 fist o' doom is pretty fun.

Well with the Zeus i'd be going doom first or bust.

#10 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:14 AM

Idk, the Zeus with 3 LPL + the SRM fist works quite well. I expected worse after reading the forum.
No idea about the other variants and the Victor.

#11 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

View PostKuaron, on 12 February 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

Idk, the Zeus with 3 LPL + the SRM fist works quite well. I expected worse after reading the forum.
No idea about the other variants and the Victor.

Do you have a smurfy?

#12 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:29 PM

Well you're loving it the hard way then....two strong contenders for the weakest mech ingame.Posted Image

The Victor was always special, therefore it was implemented with the movement pattern of a heavy (witch was nerfed to assault) and much more torso agility as it has now.
Also his jumpjets where the strongest argument of the Victor till they've been nerfed to hoverjets.

If you could elite the victor it has some potential as undergunned, oversized brawler as long as you go against mediums....

(actually this is lorewise the role of the Victor...and it would be ok if the main mech class in MWO would be the medium due to availability and prize like it is in Battletechs inner sphere)

The fact that the most mechs you meet in QP or FP are either heavys (Clan Heavys in QP) or Assaults makes the Victor somewhat of a bad joke.

The Zeus is an other mech that simply can't profit from its advantages because they either haven't been implemented correctly in MWO or haven't been implemented at all.

Normaly the Zeus would be formidable foe over medium ranges due to its main weapons beeing installed in its arms.

Well you know the arm mechanics in MWO or better the lack of.

So what you get is a mech at the lower end of its weight class with too few and too low hardpoints of any kind.
One exception is the loyality Zeus who can bring 3xASRM4 and a LB10X to the fray.
Used with some discipline your enemy seems sometimes to be quite surprised to find you well prepered to cave his nose in where he expected to find easy prey.

Edited by The Basilisk, 12 February 2017 - 11:52 PM.

#13 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:49 PM

I have to agree with Basilisk. The Victor was good during the Poptart Meta and the Zeus suffers from 75 ton heavys which can perform better. The SRM fist works, I'm sometimes using a AC10 Large Laser built, which is not meta, but still fun for me, but otherwise the capabilities of the Zeus are limited.

#14 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:49 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 12 February 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

Do you have a smurfy?

I could click one if necessary but I’m on Linux now, I’d have to reboot to launch the game.
I don’t think it’s necessary anyway:
Take an XL 3…40, I guess? Strip the empty arm, lower legs and head and stuff it with 3xASRM6+3LPL. And DHS as far as they fit, I guess.
Play it cautious, it’s not a tank.

#15 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

So what are peoples thoughts on the Zeus 6s and 9s?

#16 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:41 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 14 February 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

So what are peoples thoughts on the Zeus 6s and 9s?

For the 6S I found 2x AC5 and 3x LL worked decently for poking or 1x AC10 and 3x LPL for mid range and at-a-push brawling.

I hated the 9S so much, not played it since I unlocked Basics.

#17 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 14 February 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

For the 6S I found 2x AC5 and 3x LL worked decently for poking or 1x AC10 and 3x LPL for mid range and at-a-push brawling.

I hated the 9S so much, not played it since I unlocked Basics.

Okay was asking because if i wanted to i might have gotten the Zeus Resistance alacarted.

View PostThe Basilisk, on 12 February 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

So what you get is a mech at the lower end of its weight class with too few and too low hardpoints of any kind.
One exception is the loyality Zeus who can bring 3xASRM4 and a LB10X to the fray.
Used with some discipline your enemy seems sometimes to be quite surprised to find you well prepered to cave his nose in where he expected to find easy prey.

Ooooh I'd get that but i'd have to via the gift store, would i be able to buy and redeem the code myself?

#18 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 14 February 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

Okay was asking because if i wanted to i might have gotten the Zeus Resistance alacarted.

Doomfist or bust, personally. I favour the 5S and 9S2. 3x SRM6-A, 1x AC10 / LBX10, 2-3 ML / MPL on both, never bothered with dual ballistics on the 9S2. STD or XL engines, depending on if a new Heavy/Assault (STD) or Light/Medium (XL) was just released.

#19 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:30 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 14 February 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

Doomfist or bust, personally. I favour the 5S and 9S2. 3x SRM6-A, 1x AC10 / LBX10, 2-3 ML / MPL on both, never bothered with dual ballistics on the 9S2. STD or XL engines, depending on if a new Heavy/Assault (STD) or Light/Medium (XL) was just released.

Yeah i'd go boom fist, but i'd need three to "master" them.

#20 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 14 February 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

Yeah i'd go boom fist, but i'd need three to "master" them.

In which case I'd recommend the 5S and 9S2 then either the 6T for SRM18 + 3 LPL fun as Kuaron suggested, or the 6S for some poking with a deadside.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users