#21 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

View PostJumpenJack, on 26 February 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

Wow. Okay, I sincerely apologize for being snarky earlier. I didn't think they sold boards like that any more. You're just going to need to save up and build a comp yourself to be able to run things properly.

#22 JumpenJack

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:07 PM

Well, that's what I was afraid of, thank you for all your help.

#23 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:11 PM

Thrift stores and educational institutions are good sources of cheap parts. Make a list of any parts you can salvage. Windows 10 will operate even if unregistered.

Otherwise many communities have E-waste day or perhaps end of the semester moveout in college towns. Your current system is a dead end.

https://www.youtube....andomGaminginHD

Edited by Spheroid, 26 February 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#24 JumpenJack

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

I like your ideas Spheroid but since the accident I never leave the house. So, I think I'll try to just get parts from Ebay until it's built In fact, what do you think of this case it's only 35.

http://www.ebay.com/...s&ul_noapp=true

Looks nice too.

#25 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

View PostJumpenJack, on 26 February 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

I like your ideas Spheroid but since the accident I never leave the house. So, I think I'll try to just get parts from Ebay until it's built In fact, what do you think of this case it's only 35.

Looks nice too.

dont worry about the case so much... if you are going to save up to get something, this is where you want to start.

http://www.ebay.com/...WYAAOSwOgdYrQKE

#26 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:30 PM

View PostJumpenJack, on 26 February 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Looks nice too.

Well how long would it take you to save 400 bucks for example. It would be far better to just get a solid build, and do it at once.

Or like i said, perhaps donations to a fellow mech warrior in need. I can check my old comps see if anything is salvageable Posted Image Trust me, i know what it is like to get hurt and not able to leave the homestead.

But ok, I am not saying to buy this one in particular, but at a glance it seams like a fairly basic lower end gaming PC. I would have to check out all the parts but, it doesn't sound all that bad. Has a nice looking case, and comes with win 10.. Not bad for 400 dollars. Though perhaps going full custom would be better, i haven't prices stuff in a bit, so not sure how close i could come.

But 400 dollar system that should work.. Buying random parts on e-bay with out a solid plan, you might just end up with a bunch of random parts and no system., so out more money and still can't game.

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16883102280

and honestly, the specs are better than the system i am running.. it has a newer graphics card, and i think the chip as well.. I just don't know the parts manufacturer stuff as well. My system is an Asus/Nivida system that is rock solid. Runs everything and keeps chugging. AMD i know can have issues on certain games, but i also have not had issues running those processors. I just haven't done so in about 10 years. the Nivida graphics card sounds reference, so should not be an issue. 1 Terra, and 8 gigs memory is also good. By no means a earth shattering system, but it could be something that could work for you or something like it.

Edited by JC Daxion, 26 February 2017 - 06:35 PM.

#27 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 26 February 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

But.. Okay... Jesus. Alright, if this isn't a joke post, yes, having a graphics card will make your game run faster, if your computer is somehow even running the damn thing right now "without one".

You've given me an idea. Posted Image

#28 JumpenJack

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

Even though my FPS are terrible, in Tier 5 I'm one of the better players. So I kick *** in good maps, and not so much in bad maps. BTW there's more good maps then bad so I think I help more then hurt. With low FPS you can use LRMs PPC's and Guass effectively. Hell if I stuck to LRMs I'd be tier 4 in no time because even on losses I still get = or ^.

@Daxion that is a sexy computer that's for sure. I'm going to talk to my cousins about it. I hate to do it, but I don't think I've ever wanted something more, lol. Anyway I don't think I'll be coming back to this thread, I'm starting to feel weird about it I guess. :/

Thank you all so much for your help, you're all very cool.

#29 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

i like how everyone acts like computers are expensive. lol. i live on less than 3 dollars a day and i have 2 i7 rigs that can run this game. you're being poor wrong.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 February 2017 - 10:02 PM.

#30 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:03 PM

I'm waiting for a system that can run this game at a consistent 60fps. Some say it's crazy and cant be done. But it just needs more powah. Like rowing a boat over a sand dune.

#31 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:03 AM

There's me thinking I was crazy for running this game on an 8 year old computer for so long (Still got around 30fps with it).

I'd say in general from a lot of hardware review sites, they all recommend 30 fps, 20 fps is absolute minimum. Personally I'd say for this game, aiming with 30fps+ is a must.

If you're not hitting 30fps constantly without any fighting taking place, upgrade. Also use MSI Afterburner (regardless of the card you have), set the graphs to draw with 3-5 seconds intervals, enable the FPS tracker and play. You'll notice the frame counter dropping hard during fight scenes, this is actually when you need the power more.

#32 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:47 AM

No offense, but straight up - if you are playing this game or any thing for that matter and you are still running a single core processor (Yes I get that MWO only uses a single core, that is also besides the point), have ddr2 ram, or if you think that a video card that has 1 gb of vRam is large and adequate -

If you think any of the above criteria or acceptable, step back grab a sledge hammer and smash whatever piece of electronic equipment is currently within your proximity.
Next, get a small amount of fundage- rob a bank, start a hedge fund, swindle a swandingler, or plain jane get a job.

Cheapo El Performo -

RAM - G. SKill Aegis DDR4 2400mhz - 16GB - $89
16gb DDR4 is the minimum you should strive for: Personally I'd go for higher speed. ALSO, RAM has experienced a stupid price hike, that looks like it's here to stay - ram is about $10-20 more expensive than it was last year.
https://www.newegg.c...A3D&ignorebbr=1

PSU - EVGA 450W PSU Bronze - $39.99
EVGA - best power supplies - 450W will be enough for at least a GTX1060 <- 128 w
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7HN50K5327

PROCESSOR - Intel I5 7400 - kaby lake 3.0ghz quad core - $189
Love it or Hate it, Intel still has AMD beat for performance - lower end quad core (quad core not so important for MWO, but pretty much every single other thing known in existence by man) The Kaby Lake series, tho only a minor improvement over the great Skylake series (.3 ghz jump from 2.7 of the 6400 series to 3.0 ghz of the 7400)
https://www.newegg.c...19-117-731-_-NA

GRAPHICS - EVGA GTX 1060 - 3GB - $199
Not my first choice, but this one shares the 10 series superior architecture for a cheaper price at a caveat (for only ~$60 more you can get in with the big boys with a 6gb 1060 https://www.newegg.c...901&ignorebbr=1). Has better performance to the RX480 and the 1050 series. If you can stomach it, bump up to the 6GB 1060, it is a great card for the price point.
https://www.newegg.c...N82E16814487267

STORAGE - Sandisk 410z 480gb solid state drive - $125
After a good GPU and processor, a solid state drive vs a traditional hard drive is where you will see tremendous improvements in game performance, loading time - It is absolutely worth it to get a solid state drive if you play video games on a regular basis. Personally I have the Samsung 850 512 gb M. 2280, Intel SSD 600 275 GB. With 480 GB - that is enough to put on an Operating system and ~10 larger games.
https://www.newegg.c...N82E16813130939

CASE - CoolerMaster Masterbox5 - $68
Best case for the bang hands down
https://www.newegg.c...9-314-_-Product

MOTHERBOARD - GIGABYTE GA 270 HD3 - $114
SUPPORTS O.C. RAM - which is good, so you are not cornered into buying only 2133 ddr4 ram, supports cross-fire if you run AMD cards, has a good UI, has 1 M.2 Connector (which is ok, just better when 2)

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16813128974

k, I admit was trying trying to find a decent MOBO to finish this out.. alternatively if you want EVEN cheaper and don't care about the speed of your DDR4 ram... the

MSI B150M MORTAR ARCTIC LGA 1151 - $89.99
Always struck my fancy... stylish, smaller form-factor with Micro ATX (I prefer full size boards, thank you) only major drawback in my opinion, is that the DDR4 speed is locked at 2133 mhz, so in effect even if you have, say, DDR3000, it will only run at 2133 mhz - which still is good, just not to the full capability of the ram itself.
https://www.newegg.c...N82E16813130939

Note- not included - Operating system - Windows is ~99, keyboard, monitor, or mouse.
GRAND TOTAL - $814 dollars.

Other note - this is a budget build in terms of getting some solid key components -CPU, with some functional secondaries that can be readily replaced at a later time, whilst having solid performance at the tip of your fingers.

Edited by JackalBeast, 27 February 2017 - 08:56 AM.

#33 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

Also stay away from the 1050 Graphics cards, they are an abhorrent line that should have been aborted. Only reason they were released was to further rub salt into the wound after the 60,70,and 80 series came out and dominated over AMD.
The 1060 3GB is a bit better than the 1050, and even than that's a card that is kind of the short bus brother to the 6gb version.

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 01 March 2017 - 01:33 AM.
unconstructive

#34 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:59 AM

[mod]This thread has been moved to
Hardware & Accessories.

Thread title edited for clarification.

Removed several posts due to
unconstructive and/or insulting content.
[/mod]

#35 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:22 AM

Do you want all the settings to max? I ran a GTX460 1Gb for a long time and got 40+ consistently with most settings to medium and a few to low. I5 2.66 8 Gb btw.

It was very playable.

#36 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

This thread is a [Redacted]. Oye.

$500 isn't going to build an amazing gaming machine, but it will do the job a lot better than OP's current potato.

The GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti are not "abhorrent." They fill a specific niche where people who do not want to or can not put money into a PSU that supports extra GPU power. My GF runs one in her system (a 1050 Ti) and it performs exactly as expected. It was a major boost from her old GTX 750.

MWO loves CPU power, so Ryzen CPUs coming out swinging at good prices will benefit OP, too. Thing is the lower-priced ones won't be here until the second half of the year according to AMD. For doing something NOW instead of Sept-Oct timeframe, OP would be looking at a Skylake or Kaby Lake pentium chip probably, with 8GB of DDR4-2666.

There are cases cheaper than $35, too, so if we're going "extreme budget style" then the cheaper the case that will fit the parts, the better. I think I've seen base model mid-towers for as low as $24 or maybe even $21?

An EVGA PSU and GTX 1050 would round out the build quite nicely.

I think the priciest part would be a copy of Windows 10, but I think his HDD from his current machine would be salvageable so he could probably use whatever key is currently assigned to that machine.

Edited by draiocht, 01 March 2017 - 09:24 AM.
inappropriate language

#37 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

Congratulations to forum member RAM. Since Jumpin Jack wasnt able to use my gtx970ti, I sent it off to RAM.

I hope it serves him well.

#38 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,620 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:51 PM

I don't see how the GTX 1050 TI is a bad card. At least it runs off the motherboard, rather than the power supply. In any case, I will be getting that and running my game on a GTX 1080 TI, really soon.

The 1050. . . I'll use it as my Phys X card. While the 1080 will do all the rest. :)

On another note: if you do go after a card, I can suggest this. . . avoid EVGA like they're typhoid Mary come to life. I've had to replace my GTX 760. . twice. Both were EVGA brands. I know they back their products with a good warranty, and I can see why. Still, my advice is avoid them at your own peril.

#39 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

Also check your local Craigslist. It might be a hassle if you have to get out of the house and go pick up your parts, though could have a friend pick stuff up for you if needed. If you're lucky you might find a whole computer for rather cheap.

My local area has right now a guy selling for only $150 a micro ATX board with an i3-4130 @3.4 GHz, with two slots for DDR3 and a PCI x16 gen2, and another guy with a GTX 750ti for $90, and there's a 650 for $60. With a little know-how (ask some computer-y friends), and digging around... you could build or buy everything you need for probably under $300 easy.

Considering how you're dealing with 10fps at the moment, just buying cheap outdated used hardware that gets you 30fps will make a humongous difference (I played locked at 30fps, and I can tell you it's very playable, so long as it doesn't dip under.) The only real downsides are you're risking the health of the parts (whether they work or not, though shouldn't be hard to confirm by talking 1-on-1 with sellers), and that buying cheaper components is always less cost-efficient - which you shouldn't be worried about since you can't afford to go any higher anyways.

You might also be able to salvage your case, power supply, and drive(s), so that just means you need a motherboard, CPU, cooler, RAM, and graphics card. I'd recommend a new power supply anyways, because some old crappy walmart one could fry your new components if it decides it wants to be crap.

Some inspiration:

Edited by Tarogato, 06 March 2017 - 11:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users