Latest Skill Tree Build Now Live On Pts!

358 replies to this topic

#341 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 08 March 2017 - 05:58 AM, said:

There are cost issues

Specifically, were getting refunded for modules, but if you don't have enough modules you can't pay to rebut your basic skills.

, but you're comparing "mastered" today with "mastered" on the skill tree and THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.
Crux of my post.

Having 91 skill points spent IS NOT THE SAME as having a mastered mech today + modules. You're not, then, entitled to have 91 skill points spent, even if your previously mastered mech has full modules.

You can get basically all the current day skills for a pretty small chunk of skill points

Meaning, if you didn't have modules on that mech, you can get to a comparable level spending roughly half of your skill points.

If you only have a couple modules (36m cbills is like 6 modules) then you're definitely going to lose cbills getting your "basic" skills, as you DIDN'T spend cbills skilling up the first time but you have to now.
... But that sucks, as you lose some cbills that you shouldn't have to lose.

So, no, it's not good, but it's also not nearly as huge a loss as you make it out to be.

Mastered in the new skill tree != Mastered in the current skill tree.

So, what parts of this do you not agree with? What's so complicated?

#342 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 08 March 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

Specifically, were getting refunded for modules, but if you don't have enough modules you can't pay to rebut your basic skills.

Crux of my post.

Having 91 skill points spent IS NOT THE SAME as having a mastered mech today + modules. You're not, then, entitled to have 91 skill points spent, even if your previously mastered mech has full modules.

Meaning, if you didn't have modules on that mech, you can get to a comparable level spending roughly half of your skill points.

... But that sucks, as you lose some cbills that you shouldn't have to lose.

So, what parts of this do you not agree with? What's so complicated?

Er let me see..............

............This a massive betrayal of fans, and quite possibly the most disgusting and blatant cash grab by PGI yet.

It seems that the only people that are in favor of this are the whales. Now i'm not pointing fingers but I have spent a good amount of cash on this game in the four and a half years but i have boycotted spending money on them for about 18 months bar a couple of low value transactions. Purely because of Their repeated cheek and {LT-MOB-25} ups.

I mean they still haven't fixed numerous bugs that have been in this game for ages. Thinking hit detection, collision detection (terrain collisions being a 'mare), mech icons in the mechlab repeatedly showing the wrong mech (this one has been around for years), Mechs retaining arms even though side torso's have been blown off. The list goes on.

But no they need to think of new ways to leech of the community and not actually add worth. Its about time people voted with their wallets and kept them closed.

#343 Pampajoe

• Pip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 17 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

I know that we need some Balances here but for me this new system is not good.

First this Game is a Shooter "not" a RPG. Skill 91 Nodes out of 1xx i not mine.

Second some "Balance Problem are Engine/coding Problems or Problems of Client/server Calculations.
Light Mechs like the Locust or Jenner IIc with a Speed over 150 lives from bad Hitdetection.

New Skill Tree

The Idea behind the new Skilltree is not bad. But why a Timberwolf without any Skillpoint in Mobility is (sorry) a (no) running gag. So there a dictated nodes you have to skill to make Mechs playable.
Costs and XP are very high. For me breack down the Skillnodes System to max. 60 with ca. 35 Points to use. And bring back the Acceleration/ Turnrates to the Engine where they come from. An artificially inflated Skillsystem don´t increase the possibilites of balancing this game.

#344 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 08 March 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

what the hell are you talking about? I think in your haste to argue, you didn't pay attention to what I wrote.

What, specifically, am I wrong about? Or are you just assuming I'm saying it's all roses and flowers?

The point is: the mechs were mastered. You get charged again, so to speak, to re-master them. I do not care because my mech collection is not that huge and I think I can cover most of the chassis. However, Whale-O-Joe with 150+ mechs...

#345 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 08 March 2017 - 05:58 AM, said:

Mastered in the new skill tree != Mastered in the current skill tree.

While this is true, new mastered is actually less than current mastered if looked at from the mech performance end (yes even considering the module nodes) vs the cost side, so really we lose out even more than that math indicates. Looking at it from the xp cost/conversion (which is a pgi arbitrary anyway) yes, mastered now is half xp new, but that still puts us around 2.7 million cbills in debt per mech to reuse our xp (assuming minimum mastery xp). Completely unacceptable.

#346 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

View Postmad kat, on 08 March 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

It seems that the only people that are in favor of this are the whales.

Not so simple, it hurts collector whales the most unless they also spend an absurd amount of time in game fully module-ing the hundreds of mechs owned.

#347 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostTrev Firestorm, on 08 March 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

While this is true, new mastered is actually less than current mastered if looked at from the mech performance end (yes even considering the module nodes) vs the cost side, so really we lose out even more than that math indicates. Looking at it from the xp cost/conversion (which is a pgi arbitrary anyway) yes, mastered now is half xp new, but that still puts us around 2.7 million cbills in debt per mech to reuse our xp (assuming minimum mastery xp). Completely unacceptable.

Yeah, I didn't say it was OK. There was no part of.my.post that said it was OK. But people are so worked up and mad, they see this need to put everything in terms of "for or against" without actually paying attention.

Comparing live vs. pts performance is also not relevant. That's a separate matter: if PGI wants to nerf total skill values, or buff them, they can do that without the skill tree. They've done it before after all.

What IS relevant is what it costs in cbills to get the skills we're losing, but still exist. THAT is an important number, because we shouldn't be penalised those cbills. Hard Brake, Anchor Turn, speed tweak, etc: the cbills costs of these skills that still exist should be refunded. We don't need cbills to cover shot velocity upgrades because we don't have those now. Nor do we need cbills for jump jets, or the sensors tree in general.

And if the raving madmen here could calm down, out on their big boy pants, and do the real, relevant math, they could go to Russ with numbers he'll listen to, instead of saying what I said in my earlier post above.

Well, he may not listen anyways, but he can't argue it. That's important.

Ranting and exaggerating either for effect or from ignorance isn't useful.

#348 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

View PostBush Hopper, on 08 March 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

The point is: the mechs were mastered. You get charged again, so to speak, to re-master them. I do not care because my mech collection is not that huge and I think I can cover most of the chassis. However, Whale-O-Joe with 150+ mechs...
I am whale-o-joe. I have well over 150 Mechs, and 2m cbills, and MAYBE 40m cbills in modules.

I do not like this extra expense, and if anyone thinks I do like this expense they are either stupid or not paying attention.

What's important though is calculating how many cbills were losing in the skills that we have and are being taken away.

"Mastery" is irrelevant, that would be like complaining if they added new skills on top of the ones we currently had, extending the current tree, and moaning because "our Mechs aren't "mastered" anymore".

#349 ZoeMega

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

Goal: "You get to decide how to configure your mech"
One of the strong re-occurring themes here is: "I don't like being forced to buy skill areas I don't want."

Any game tries to build "The illusion of choice" and this skill tree system looks like a bad hologram and your user base is calling you on it.

Solution: Just keep a simple version of what you have built.

You need to keep the overpowered modules in check -> just have them cost MORE of your 91 points.

Example: Mech Operations: Cool Run (Clearly a sought after skill based on its placement in the current tree)
Winding through the tree there are a minimum of 17 nodes required to obtain all 5 levels. (didn't' check this that closely there might be a more optimal way to get this but not my point, it cost more than 5)
Only some of which I may want otherwise. Why not just have all nodes go straight down and cost 2 per level on cool run.
(Or make more levels in the tree for the same thing, it could easily be 10 nodes at 1% per node, still controls the power of the skill.)
This way it costs 10 total and then I can sill pick up a few points of heat containment and maybe quick ignition if I have some points left near the end.

*This way I am not forced to pick other skills I don't want to and feel cranky about it*

#350 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

View PostZoeMega, on 08 March 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Goal: "You get to decide how to configure your mech"
One of the strong re-occurring themes here is: "I don't like being forced to buy skill areas I don't want."

Any game tries to build "The illusion of choice" and this skill tree system looks like a bad hologram and your user base is calling you on it.

Solution: Just keep a simple version of what you have built.

You need to keep the overpowered modules in check -> just have them cost MORE of your 91 points.

Example: Mech Operations: Cool Run (Clearly a sought after skill based on its placement in the current tree)
Winding through the tree there are a minimum of 17 nodes required to obtain all 5 levels. (didn't' check this that closely there might be a more optimal way to get this but not my point, it cost more than 5)
Only some of which I may want otherwise. Why not just have all nodes go straight down and cost 2 per level on cool run.
(Or make more levels in the tree for the same thing, it could easily be 10 nodes at 1% per node, still controls the power of the skill.)
This way it costs 10 total and then I can sill pick up a few points of heat containment and maybe quick ignition if I have some points left near the end.

*This way I am not forced to pick other skills I don't want to and feel cranky about it*

Because of aesthetic symmetry. That's why PGI split the narc node onto mirror sides of the tree under irrelevant 'bombardment' and 'UAV' node instead of in sequence because I can't think of any reason why NARC skill has to be locked behind anything let alone TWO separate somethings.

I bet the PGI guy designing this has mild OCD and HAS to shoe horn symmetry into the design.

#351 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

The last time I dropped in a match in this game was around fifteen months ago, and I've been looking forward to these skill tree changes. From what I've seen of the skill tree system under development, except for some small issues with node placement I've seen, it looks delicious, and I can't wait to re-spec all of my 'Mechs once the system actually drops. I know for a fact there are going to be changes afterward, and I look forward to helping make those changes.

Some of you want folks to vote with their wallets, and since October 2011 I've taken a total of a year-and-a-half off, not spending money in this game. However, I'm looking forward to purchasing a Butterbee once I'm back.

Does anyone recall, in December 2011, when PGI put out the four warfare pillars for this game: 'Mech, Role, Community, and Information Warfare? Community and 'Mech Warfare are about as good as they're going to get, unless PGI switches to a new game engine and finds they can do a lot more, or Paul finally decides it's time to truly balance this game ~OR~ put the numbers back where they belong and then go with an MWO-based Battle Value system and buckets, or both. Information Warfare is really screwed up and has nothing to do with intel, AT ALL -detection of other 'Mechs and building up the ability to use artillery in Faction Warfare missions has NOTHING to do with Information Warfare-, and again would require someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing to come in and deal with. That leaves Role Warfare, which is taken care of by the 'Mechs in the game and how pilots drive them!

This skill tree system has been desired by the greater portion of the community since the middle of 2012, and those of you bitching about the system need to wait it out and give PGI time to adjust it for use before shouting it down.

#352 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

The point is, they really need more testing, because its likely to launch as it was, which was pretty much crap.

#353 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

Agreed. But, isn't that what they're doing, now?

#354 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 08 March 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

Agreed. But, isn't that what they're doing, now?

The one-size-fits-all approach instead of emphasis role warfare through individualized tree is my biggest disappointment.

No matter how you try to tweak the current template, having a light scout oriented mech to skill its way on the same tree as a DWF is inherently dumb and lazy. A decent company or one that cares about the quality of its IP, would at least try to have several version of the tree to fit different chassis/roles.

Of course, PGI's motto has always been "meh, it's good enough".

#355 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:58 PM

I know you have a point, and I agree with that point, especially concerning PGI, but my hope tank has a bit more gas in it than it did when I stopped playing fifteen months ago, so I want to hope they'll eventually take on an American-style "get **** done completely now" attitude rather than the lethargy they have displayed broadly in the past.

#356 Desintegrator

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:59 AM

We will get many changes...

#357 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

I've spent some time thinking about this over the past couple of days, and here's more of what I would like to see out of the Skill Trees. @Russ Bullock said he would look them over on last evening's NGNG Podcast, so I'm holding him to that.

I know the PTS has been finalized, and we're going to get what PGI have already developed from that, but what I'm about to propose will deal with further diversification, though I believe it will also simplify things a good deal for players, and there's no reason this couldn't be considered for follow-on work.

Right now, PGI has EVERYTHING placed into those six "skill tree" blocks, and that's fine... for a beginning. However, the MechWarrior's here understand that we are, again, being cheated -to an extent, especially concerning Role Warfare- out of what PGI told us they were going to do, and I have a means of getting them back on the right track. Again, I'm no programmer, but here it goes... rather than focusing EVERYTHING into those six trees, it needs to be diversified as follows...

1) Pilot GENERAL Skills: These are the skills every pilot can master for every 'Mech, but they are specific to the pilot and should, as a result, have a separate small "tree" to work from. These skills should be available for use no matter what 'Mech I get into, once I've paid to master it/them; alternately, there may be some skills from this/these "tree(s)" that CAN NOT apply to a particular 'Mech I'm driving, and could be shut off -made unavailable- for that 'Mech,

2) Pilot ROLE Skills: We all know the role of a BattleMech is about the use of weapons, armor and speed of the 'Mech, in various combinations. Lights will, typically, prioritize speed over weapons and armor and Assault pilots will typically load up on weapons and armor and the speed be damned. The problem with the current skill tree is it does not allow for certain combinations of nodes to work in concert for these 'Mechs to do their jobs more efficiently. The de-coupling of engines from many of the actions 'Mechs used to have in this game is an excellent beginning to that, but it does not allow for recon players to play as recon, for combat players to play as combat, etc. This part of my proposal makes it so that certain role-types are locked to certain 'Mechs and the "trees" within those role-types can be geared specifically to give boons and skill combinations for the type of 'Mech that the pilot can take to help fill out the role. Instead of a pilot purchasing skills they neither need nor want for the role-type they're trying to play with a particular chassis and variant, they can instead purchase, at a higher C-Bill and/or XP cost, skill nodes that have been placed adjacent to one-another on the role-type tree, as opposed to being required to purchase one or more unnecessary nodes to get to that point. The C-Bill and/or XP cost would not equal the cost of skipping around on the tree, it would be less, but somewhere between the cost of the two nodes for the role-type tree and the cost of the three plus nodes for the general tree, as they are, now. It will require a bit more work to build the trees, but the pilot skills in each one of these pilot role-types should be few and expensive to acquire,

3) Chassis GENERAL Skills: These are skills laid out that are applicable to ALL 'Mechs, and can be purchased by ALL pilots. Weapon Skills, for example, should be universal across ALL 'Mechs. If I turn on Large Laser Mastery +2%, for example, I should have that bonus across ALL of my chassis and variants, not just for that one 'Mech; obviously, if a 'Mech I'm driving disallows for use of that skill, the skill will not be available for that chassis or variant. I'm not talking about putting cool-downs, range ups, etc. for weapons on the Chassis General Skills "tree", just the weaponry and any nodes that apply to ALL weaponry. Additionally, these could be broken down by weight class, where you have Large Laser Mastery +2%, again for example, each across Light, Medium, Heavy and Assault classes, though I'm still uncertain why that would be necessary,

4) Variant SPECIFIC Skills: These "trees" would harness the remainder of the nodes not used in the previous three sections, and would still be many. However, if there were a way to turn off certain nodes that cannot be used by the variant being mastered, that would be yet another way to move people toward stylization of their 'Mech based on chassis role-type. Perhaps, to correct the potential deficiency of players wanting to diversify, some of these nodes not specific to the 'Mech could be turned on again if the right skill or combination of skills from Pilot General, Pilot Role, and Chassis General were purchased, and then those nodes could be purchased, as well.

What would be an excellent end-goal for these "skill trees" is to have a living tree for each 'Mech a pilot takes on, which morphs based on what is removed from or added to the "tree".

All of these NEED to be broken out to separate trees, further than what's available, now, because right now it's all just kludge-werks, hard to find what we actually want without a significant time investment, and not every. single. skill applies to every single pilot and/or every single chassis or variant. So, why would I waste my C-Bills on a node I will NEVER EVER use on ANY 'MECH I PURCHASE, EVER!?!?!?! If these are diversified to Pilot General, Pilot Role, Chassis General, and Variant Specific skill "trees", PGI you would be able to develop more nodes that are relevant to each of these sections, and each would have to be developed separately, and you would be able to compress some nodes, such as multiple 1% nodes, without actually sacrificing the costs or variance and efficacy of the individual 'Mechs, and you would be able to diversify the 'Mechs themselves to act in particular ways that separate them not only role-wise, but also mechanically, from their counterparts.

Look, I think you guys know I'm a helicopter guy, Army-school trained, and I know how to work on Blackhawks, Kiowa Warriors, Apaches, Chinooks, and even the UH-1 Iroquois. I've worked on one V-22 Osprey, a couple of Air Force puddle jumpers, and I've worked on many variants. For example, I worked on a fire variant Blackhawk, where it has a large water take strapped to the bottom, with at least one water pump and a long snorkel that reaches the water, so it can suck up water and put it on a fire. The Longbow Apache has a massive sensor dome on top of the rotor mast that I've helped remove and install -I wasn't able to see inside, because the stuff was still classified back then. I've also worked on different types of 'Little Birds', the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior, with hardened chassis', larger engine, etc., and that's our recon bird from hell. Every last one of these aircraft has a different role to play, a different mission, and different characteristics to the other aircraft; however, in many instances, the same principles, procedures, and techniques you use with one aircraft, you use them with all aircraft. A pilot moving from one aircraft to another has to have training and a check-ride before they can pilot an aircraft other than the one they trained on in flight school, and that signifies the gaining and use of special skills for the specific aircraft.

The same thing could be done for MWO, for the specific chassis, and I don't believe you would really need to gain that much of a headache to build in the proper amount of diversification to help players become more immersed, and more specialized for this game. I believe it would be worth the work for you, PGI. You've already put thousands upon thousands of man-hours into building worthless crap that hasn't worked well and that you've scrapped in favor of projects proposed by this community... perhaps you can put your time and energy into something like your community was calling for on the No Guts No Galaxy Podcast, yesterday (3/10/17), and what folks here are calling for, as well, yeah?

Edited by Kay Wolf, 11 March 2017 - 09:35 AM.

#358 Ignatz22

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Sirs;

None of the comparisons matter to me, as this isn't what I signed up for when I purchased the mechs and ground the experience to "master" them. This is a method applied to existing assets to devalue them, forcing me to expend MORE resources (C-Bills, real money to exchange exp for general xp etc) to attain what I have now. I know there are added attributes in the skill tree I didn't have access to before, but these could have been added as options without changing the essential system. I didn't agree to this. I paid for one game and it keeps changing in an effort to extract more money from me with no real value for the new expenditure. I'm glad so many of you are happy to be manipulated this way but I opt out. I am leaving the group I joined and finding something else to do with my time and money, as they are more valuable to me than the promise PGI made to buyers so long ago when this game went live.
You may "hope" it gets better. You may "trust" PGI to fix things, but they've lied too often and done little to address the communities' needs to be worthy of consumer trust. They are a poor company at best, and a sorry business model as evidenced by declining sales and player base year after year in a game that had such promise and a loyal fan base.
It isn't the particulars of this change, it's that PGI feels justified in changing the very heart of the mech development process after years of loyal fans bought into that system. That yellow pitcher isn't filled with lemonade, folks, it's another Third Person effort by a group of developers who don't care and don't listen.

#359 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

Alright, I need to address a couple of problems I have with what you've said, as you've over-stepped yourself; not with regard to what you have said about PGI, but what you have said about your fellow players, including myself.

1. Of course it's a different method being applied to extract more money. If a product is not improved and does not make money, it dies. The problem is, so many people are willing to destroy what they have built for themselves, here, and move on without thinking about what is actually being accomplished. This is only half PGI taking advantage of me... PGI taking advantage is in their incessant development and release of new 'Mech chassis' ALL. THE. TIME. What drove me away was the fact PGI continued putting out 'Mechs and could not be bothered to put out new maps, game modes, or anything they actually laid out their four pillars for back in late 2011.

2. The Pilot Skill Trees were always supposed to be a part of this game, from the beginning, and EVERYONE has known, since mid-December 2011 that the trees being introduced toward mastery were little more than placeholders for something better to come down the road. Now that something "better" is coming in just over two weeks, and you're not even remotely willing to look at it and help to improve it.

View PostIgnatz22, on 11 March 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

None of the comparisons matter to me, as this isn't what I signed up for when I purchased the mechs and ground the experience to "master" them. This is a method applied to existing assets to devalue them, forcing me to expend MORE resources (C-Bills, real money to exchange exp for general xp etc) to attain what I have now.

3. This is being addressed. The C-Bill cost per node is being reduced even from 45,000, and adjustments -which are normal to all games, whether they're billed as minimum viable product, as this one was from the beginning, all the way up to AAA. EVERY developer continues to put out updates, additions and improvements to their games, period, until they're finished developing it. At least PGI started by telling us they would always consider this game to be minimum viable product, and that it would always be in continuing development. If a game doesn't change, hopefully for the better, it dies. I neither know, nor will I defend PGI's lame-*** decision making skills for finding new ways to break down this game and this community, but I know they also, eventually, build things back up to something better, even if it's only marginally better. Until I have money to forcibly take this game away from PGI and put it in the hands of developers I feel will do what I want them to do, and who will actually pay attention to the community, rather than simply giving lip-service, this game is what I've got if I want first-person hot 'Mech action.

I know there are added attributes in the skill tree I didn't have access to before, but these could have been added as options without changing the essential system. I didn't agree to this.

4. If you were here and paid Founder's money, like me, this is exactly what you agreed to. You agreed there would be a Role Warfare and Information Warfare Pillars that would, eventually, be developed fully. With the size of PGI, tripled since that fateful day in October, and with the amazing learning curve they've had to a "passionate" community, many of which I rather refer to as ingrateful and spoiled, I must say I'm glad to finally be seeing some movement on this front.

I paid for one game and it keeps changing in an effort to extract more money from me with no real value for the new expenditure.
I already addressed this, above.

I'm glad so many of you are happy to be manipulated this way but I opt out. I am leaving the group I joined and finding something else to do with my time and money, as they are more valuable to me than the promise PGI made to buyers so long ago when this game went live.

5. You'll be back. If you're as dedicated to BattleTech as I get the impression you are, when something more is put up, when balance is completed, when Paul pulls his head out of his fourth-point-of-contact and tries something the community has been screaming for concerning balance for years, when the game goes to a new engine, which is supposed to be announced this next week, I believe, and when people are returning to play a much-improved, hopefully, game, you'll be back to play. Your stuff will be here when you return; take your break from the game, enjoy playing something else for a while -I'm still looking at Star Citizen, myself-, and when it's time for you to return, we'll see your face around here, again, and we'll bust our tails to shoot it off, as always.

You may "hope" it gets better. You may "trust" PGI to fix things, but they've lied too often and done little to address the communities' needs to be worthy of consumer trust. They are a poor company at best, and a sorry business model as evidenced by declining sales and player base year after year in a game that had such promise and a loyal fan base.

6. You'll get no argument from me; I guess this is my insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

It isn't the particulars of this change, it's that PGI feels justified in changing the very heart of the mech development process after years of loyal fans bought into that system. That yellow pitcher isn't filled with lemonade, folks, it's another Third Person effort by a group of developers who don't care and don't listen.
No, I go back to the fact that I am a loyal fan, having played or at least read everything BattleTech since 1984, and the system I bought into is what PGI told us about in December of 2011, with the four pillars ('Mech, Information, Role, and Community Warfare). Slowly but surely PGI are getting these things in line with what they should be, and while I know for a fact it's taken far too much time to get the things they have in place where they are, and there's still a bloody damn long time to go before they have the totality of their minimal viable product, as address in December 2011, the game is being improved.

While my hope is not strong, it is still a hope that PGI will hit on that ONE thing EVERYONE in this vast and terribly diversified community can all agree on, something vast enough to have folks sounding trumpets that it's time to return.

So, listen, don't tell me I'm drinking piss-water, or anyone else for that matter, because I'm not. I've chosen the battle I want to fight, I take a break when I need to, for as long as I need to, but no matter how much I've cursed this game, cursed the damn developers who do NOT listen, and do my level-best to find other things I want to do, I come back to this game periodically to check things out. The new skill trees are going to do more good than harm, and I'm looking forward to playing the side-game -can't call it a mini-game, it's just too extensive- so I can master out ONE variant of each of the chassis I drive, and then go play. I only have fourteen 'Mechs, and I'm intent to buy one and get rid of six more. If you've invested a lot of money in buying 'Mechs for this game, only to come and be pissed off because you don't want to have to re-master 150 'Mechs, consider who the idiot was who purchased all of those, instead of selecting a few good ones that you really like and mastering those.

Otherwise, enjoy your time off, see you soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users