Engine And Agility.

37 replies to this topic

#1 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

I very much dislike the over all pulling back of agility. I never believed it was a problem. Or that less over all agility is a good goal.

I do think helping small engine cap mechs have more agiltiy is a good thing.

#2 SnafuSnafu

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada USA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:23 PM

It's very interesting IMO it adds more depth to the overall gameplay and adds another aspect to the game for one to learn and master.

Sure it's different, but being different was never and will never be a legitimate argument against something.

Edited by SnafuSnafu, 01 March 2017 - 10:24 PM.

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

View PostSnafuSnafu, on 01 March 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

It's very interesting IMO it adds more depth to the overall gameplay and adds another aspect to the game for one to learn and master.

Sure it's different, but being different was never and will never be a legitimate argument against something.

Doubling stop distance on Lights is not only different, it's quite literally unplayable

#4 SnafuSnafu

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:39 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 01 March 2017 - 10:34 PM, said:

Doubling stop distance on Lights is not only different, it's quite literally unplayable

What I gather from OP's post is that 'It's different therefor I do not like it' which in response I made point that that's not an argument.

If there's an issue with lights with the current PTS engine disconnect system then bring attention to it properly and logically (you're doing it wrong BTW), however as an overall system it's looking to be very interesting.

Edited by SnafuSnafu, 01 March 2017 - 10:42 PM.

#5 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:45 PM

Not it isn't different in a good way it is different in a terrible way. You suddenly feel like every piloting decision you make takes place underwater, and in slow mo, making piloting your mech feel terrible in comparison to live.

#6 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:45 PM

View PostSnafuSnafu, on 01 March 2017 - 10:39 PM, said:

What I gather from OP's post is that 'It's different therefor I do not like it' which in response I made point that that's not an argument.

If there's an issue with lights with the current PTS engine disconnect system then bring attention to it properly and logically (you're doing it wrong BTW), however as an overall system it's looking to be very interesting.

This, is broken

Posted Image

The Viper is not fundamentally broken...it's Working as Intended™

It's a feedback thing, I won't play it if it releases like that, I'll grab my WubShee which is still potent.

#7 SnafuSnafu

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

View PostMalrock, on 01 March 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

Not it isn't different in a good way it is different in a terrible way. You suddenly feel like every piloting decision you make takes place underwater, and in slow mo, making piloting your mech feel terrible in comparison to live.

That's an opinion not a fact, in my case I like how every move you make can potentially be detrimental and fatal if calculated incorrectly, IMO it's how I imagine something like a 90 tonne battlemech would feel like if they were real.

View PostMcgral18, on 01 March 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

This, is broken

Posted Image

The Viper is not fundamentally broken...it's Working as Intended™

It's a feedback thing, I won't play it if it releases like that, I'll grab my WubShee which is still potent.

Congrats you found bugs, wrong thread though.

#8 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:08 PM

Interesting.
I would have thought that something that can accelerate up to over 100kph in a couple of seconds should not stop on a dime.
That will be interesting to test out on a variety of mechs.

#9 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:11 PM

The stoppping is bad but i can get by with this but the turn rate? Omg its bad

Here is sample from what we have now.

Here is the pts.

It might be hard to tell but it like piloting a rubber band now.

I guess maybe this is what they want as the locust has been little to good but..... dang

#10 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

View Post50 50, on 01 March 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

Interesting.
I would have thought that something that can accelerate up to over 100kph in a couple of seconds should not stop on a dime.

Issue being...they're bad NOW
They'll be extinct come this change to Live

Otherwise, why can't something Decel as fast as it can Accel? In Shooty Stompy Robots?

#11 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:25 PM

Mass and momentum.
Physics.
That sort of stuff.
The turning example is interesting, really looked like at top speed the turning arc is a bit wider, need to slow down a bit to make a tighter turn.
That will take getting used to.

The acceleration vs deceleration will make the duck in and out to shoot a bit more difficult and the turning will make the dog fighting a little more challenging. Will make the really fast mech better at a boom and zoom approach.

Has anyone tested this with a mech running MASC?

#12 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:27 PM

I think it's better this way if the game is supposed to be about big stompy robots.

I actually was thinking of agility as an issue in this game. Sure, BT Mechs have sci-fi artificial muscles powered by sci-fi fusion engines, they are not heavy steel tanks with 30-s motors, but it still felt wrong.

#13 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:28 PM

View PostKuaron, on 01 March 2017 - 11:27 PM, said:

I think it's better this way if the game is supposed to be about big stompy robots.

I actually was thinking of agility as an issue in this game. Sure, BT Mechs have sci-fi artificial muscles powered by sci-fi fusion engines, they are not heavy steel tanks with 30-s motors, but it still felt wrong.

you are trying too hard to apply reality to a system that runs on space magic.

#14 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:30 PM

I don't try anything, I'm speaking of how it feels.

#15 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:35 PM

View Post50 50, on 01 March 2017 - 11:25 PM, said:

Mass and momentum.
Physics.
That sort of stuff.
The turning example is interesting, really looked like at top speed the turning arc is a bit wider, need to slow down a bit to make a tighter turn.
That will take getting used to.

I have 4 years of running a light, slowing down goes against everything I know lol As long as lights are buffed if needed to make up for this i will get used to it :)

#16 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:39 PM

My spiders do feel a bit more sluggish. I would say it's not a big deal. but Spiders aren't known for their firepower, so a loss in performance is never good.

My Firestarters seem about the same-ish. They're still upsized garbage like the other 35 tonners sadly.

My Banshees with lower engines don't feel that bad. And while the XL400 no longer imparts an extra agility bonus, it does feel mobile with one.

My Vindicator with 225 standard isn't less maneuverable than my Blackjack 1X with an XL295. Or at least it doesn't seem like it.

#17 SnafuSnafu

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 01 March 2017 - 11:35 PM, said:

I have 4 years of running a light, slowing down goes against everything I know lol As long as lights are buffed if needed to make up for this i will get used to it Posted Image

I think there is an argument to be made with how disproportionately unwieldy the lights and some mediums play ATM, but I like your enthusiasm.

#18 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:14 AM

Thats a straw man. I did not say my problem was with it being different. My problem is I believe the goal is wrong. You can say you like less agility and I can say I like having more agility. But saying I do not like change because it is change is not representing my argument correctly.

#19 Juju Shinobi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:14 AM

Dear PGI, lowering agility means lower Time-To-Kill(TTK). Lower accel/decel means you can't corner peak, you get roasted, lower TTK. Slower torso twisting means you're enable to spread damage as well, lower TTK.

If this agility nerf was supposed to increase TTK, well they did a good job. Honestly the game is slow enough as is. It doesn't need to be any slower. Lights already got butchered in the rescale, let's not make them any more irrelevant shall we?

#20 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

View Post50 50, on 01 March 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

Interesting.

Nothing in this game is logical. Its about what choices make the game the most fun to play for the community.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users