20 replies to this topic

#1 SKiD07

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Ok, since I became aware of this game and getting back into the franchise, is there a specific series that covers everything from the original start point of where Battletech started? I thought I remember seeing books as a kid but never thought to pick any up. I tried looking on Apple's iTunes as well as Amazon but I only seem to find some books here and there of the later part of the franchise. Would be good to read up on some of the old stories to really understand the universe and not just the mechs I played in the previous games.

#2 Shad0wsFury

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

The Blood of Kerensky trilogy by Michael Stackpole would be a good place to start.

It basically picks up just before the clan invasion, and is the closest novels to the timeline MWO will take place in.

There's lots of other good stuff out there, but this is the must read trilogy, IMO.

#3 Faceless Priest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

http://en.wikipedia....ttleTech_novels

some of my favorites are the legend of the jade phoenix

anything dealing with the davion/steiner civil war

and some of the dark age books are great if you like politics and spycraft

#4 Alex Novian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNew Vandenburg, Taurian Concordat

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Any and all of the OLD House books... Including the Periphery and Star League Book. then followed up with the 3025/26 Tech readouts book... 20 Year Update then the NEW House books and Periphery, Comstar.

as for Novels.. Meh, the aforementioned books have plenty of story to them.. no need to ruin it with a Novel. :)

#5 Aidan Malchor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 350 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

I'd say all of em. I started with The Sword and The Dagger and went on from there. There are plenty of sites that will list then in chronological order.

#6 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

For people new to the BT universe I say:

Warrior trilogy is good. Even though it ends very bad for my House.... :)
And like someone else mentioned, the Blood of Kerensky trilogy is pretty good. It's set in the same timeline that MWO starts out in, so you'll get a good idea of the current state of afairs.

#7 Rezalas

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Maybe you can help me out along these lines as well. I was trying to think of the first battletech novel I read but can't think of the name. It was about an inner sphere pilot that was captured by a clanner during the invasion but ended up convincing the clanner to basically turncoat. Any ideas?

#8 Oshay

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGatineau, Québec, Terra

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

Sounds like the first of the Exodus Road books. The ones involving the ComStar ROM girl and Mechwarrior Trent of the Smoke Jaguars. When they get home, the SEcond Whitting Conference happens, and then the SLDF reforms, setting the stage for Serpent and Bulldog.

Edited by Oshay, 20 July 2012 - 09:43 PM.

#9 Rezalas

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

You nailed it! Exodus road: twilight of the clans 1. http://www.sarna.net...dus_Road_(novel)

#10 SKiD07

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I found what I needed. Can't wait till we're all in the game, then it'll be carnage a la carte.

#11 Skinflowers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

"Decision at Thunder Rift" was my first BT novel. Not a bad little read and it is responsible for my love of the Locust. :D

#12 Minami

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:03 AM

I've never red any battletech books and with the upcoming MWOmercs release I decided to fix that gap. I tried to start with Lethal Heritage novel but I find it not to my liking cause of too many main characters and constant story jumping between them. So can anyone advise me some good books from battletech universe with story focused around one main character?

#13 Tinal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:15 AM

"Far Country" by Peter Rice is always a good read. Your BTech experience just won't be complete without it.

Edited by Tinal, 28 July 2012 - 03:17 AM.

#14 Harlock Fredrick

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationMissoula Montana

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

FreeBirth was a good book. Realy got into that one.

#15 George Ledoux

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostTinal, on 28 July 2012 - 03:15 AM, said:

"Far Country" by Peter Rice is always a good read. Your BTech experience just won't be complete without it.

Oh yes. This one really nails it. It truly is unforgettable.

#16 Peter Valentine

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

My personal fav is the Wolves on the Border by Robert N. Charrette. But its little far from the MWO events(take place years before it).

#17 Peter Valentine

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

Yeah it's really an interesting book,But when I read that one somehow I felt that book is not really belong to the universe. But as all BT book has its own atmosphere.

#18 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

The Warrior Trilogy, by Michael A. Stackpole, is about the events before and during the Fourth Succession War. The main acts are the wedding of Hanse Davion and Melissa Steiner, the experiences of Justin Xiang on Solaris VII and as spy on Sian, the vendetta between Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita, the machinations of Michael Hasek-Davion and of subversive elements inside the Steiner nobility, ComStar's secret manipulations and of course the most important battles of the war. You can also look here for a list of BattleTech Novels.

#19 Jmb

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

I think there was about a 6-10 book arc that described both Operation Bulldog and Operation Serpent where they waged an unstated Trial of Annihilation with clan Smoke Jaguar and the rebirth of the Star League.

#20 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

There are many BT fans who refuse to consider this book as canon. This book does cover one of the things that could happen if your Jumpship encounters a misjump.

Posted Image

There is a BT Module called Living Legends that covers deals with an SLS ship that misjumped.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users