Pts3: Do We Have Consensus?

88 replies to this topic

Poll: Do we have consensus? (265 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a more simple skill system with fewer skill points?

1. Yes, I want fewer skill points. The current skill system is too complex / convoluted. (175 votes [66.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.04%

2. No, the current skill system is appropriately complex / not complex enough (70 votes [26.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.42%

3. Don't know / Other (20 votes [7.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

Should players be forced to take a number of random, unrelated skills on each branch in order to reach the most valuable nodes?

1. Yes, this is an appropriate way to balance the skill tree. (43 votes [16.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.23%

2. No, players shouldn't be forced to take so many different unnecessary and unrelated skills (209 votes [78.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.87%

3. Don't know / Other (13 votes [4.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.91%

How do you feel about the base level of mobility, without skills? (Particularly related to acceleration, deceleration and turn rate)

1. It's very good. No further changes needed right now. (12 votes [4.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.53%

2. It's good enough. Further changes can be made later. (74 votes [27.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.92%

3. Not good enough. Lighter mechs in particular should get mobility buffs. (77 votes [29.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.06%

4. Not good enough. Heavier mechs in particular should get mobility buffs. (15 votes [5.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.66%

5. Not good enough. All mechs should receive equal mobility buffs now. (35 votes [13.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.21%

6. Don't know / Other (52 votes [19.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.62%

What structure should the skill system have?

1. Current structure. Non-linear, hex-structure with scrambled node placement (31 votes [8.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.68%

2. Linear structure. Relevant skills are placed on different paths, which may or may not be linked together at different nodes. (Diablo, World of Warcraft, etc) (95 votes [26.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.61%

3. Non-linear, tier-based structure. Select x amount of tier 1 skills to unlock tier 2 skills. (Witcher 3) (60 votes [16.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.81%

4. A combination of #2 and #3. (94 votes [26.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.33%

5. No structure. Free selection of skills, similar to module system. No connected nodes at all. (52 votes [14.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.57%

6. Other (explain below) (11 votes [3.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.08%

7. None of the above. I don't want skills. (14 votes [3.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 11 March 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

Wouldn't have to be more nuanced. Arm pitch would be worth less in terms of Threat (i.e. -1) so it buys you nothing when you need at least -3 to to get the PPC heat-gen perk (there are no general heat gen perks).

Ah, my bad. So, thumbs up for you Posted Image

#82 Cpt Leprechaun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

I said other on the last vote because I want something like whats proposed here

#83 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

View PostCpt Leprechaun, on 13 March 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

I said other on the last vote because I want something like whats proposed here

100/100. I love that suggestion so much, I wish I had seen it sooner.

The only thing that makes me sad is that I know it's so unlikely PGI will incorporate all his ideas, even though all of his ideas are simply amazing.

On a personal note, I think it's great to see a player make a suggestion like that, which totally encompasses the most important feedback the other players have been making. It goes to show that players are not unhappy no matter what. Some things can be agreed upon. I know I've been negative about certain ideas and suggestions, but this proposal ticks every box I can think of. It's basically perfect, or very close to it. It's just nice to see it demonstrated that it can be done.

I particularly like that his proposal is so easy to balance. Overperforming mechs can just have their fire rating reduced, for example. Furthermore, it's so easy to monitor which abilities are too overpowered and being picked all the time, and which abilities are rarely picked by top players, in any capacity.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 13 March 2017 - 08:06 PM.

#84 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:23 PM

No btw, i dont want a simple system ALA WoW. Thats the part that made me leave the game, people are not stupid. Give us complexity =)

#85 soapyfrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Complexity for complexity's sake is meaningless. Battletech and Mechwarrior have never required all this skill tree stuff, so i would argue actually keep it SIMPLE, but meaningful.

#86 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:09 AM

View Postsoapyfrog, on 15 March 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

Complexity for complexity's sake is meaningless. Battletech and Mechwarrior have never required all this skill tree stuff, so i would argue actually keep it SIMPLE, but meaningful.

Ofcourse it is, i was referring to them not making the tree linear like its now (or is now in world of warcraft). Its boring as ****, the new tree was not complicated at all to me, thats what i ment. There are actually players like me that looked forward to a more evolved and interactive skill tree that would let you make essentially deeper builds for your mech. You know...they way you want to build it, not only limited to predefined quirks.

On the other hand im used to games like Path of Exile. If want a meaningful and intricate skill tree example, that i find interesting and mildly challenging, then check that out for comparison (if youre curious where i come from).

A side note, making a simple but meaningful tree is extremely difficult and i thought this was simple yet meaningful enough.

#87 soapyfrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 409 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:13 AM

I think you are wrong on all points Jubb, and frankly path of exiles tree is for a single player game and not at all balanced.

The proposed skill tree is neither interesting nor meaningful. No hard decisions to make, and you can basically get all the meaningful stuff without sacrifice.

But whatever honestly I wouldn't care if the cost were at all reasonable... A skill tree that is going to be 90% the same for everyone is not much different from a skill tree that is 100% the same for everyone. Situation normal.

#88 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

View Postsoapyfrog, on 16 March 2017 - 07:13 AM, said:

A skill tree that is going to be 90% the same for everyone is not much different from a skill tree that is 100% the same for everyone. Situation normal.

By the same token; most build in game as current are 90% similar (flavors of laser vomit or PPC/Gauss), so why don't we make it so everything is 100% the same?

View Postsoapyfrog, on 16 March 2017 - 07:13 AM, said:

The proposed skill tree is neither interesting nor meaningful. No hard decisions to make, and you can basically get all the meaningful stuff without sacrifice.
But the only way to make choices more meaningful and decisions harder it to add more skills, which is something you've said you hated the idea of. The new Tree has 70+ Firepower nodes (another dozen added for new weapon tech), 22 Survival, 42 Mobility, 25 Operation, 27 Sensor, and 22 Aux nodes. Thats ~210 nodes to pick from with only 91 you can use at any given time. Add another 20 for mechs that can use jump jets. Even factoring out the ~30 weapon specialty nodes (which you would normally want at least 10 of them), you physically cannot get everything good without sacrificing something else good somewhere else. Sure, there are some specialty nodes you can bypass.

#89 soapyfrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 409 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

View PostAthom83, on 16 March 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

By the same token; most build in game as current are 90% similar (flavors of laser vomit or PPC/Gauss), so why don't we make it so everything is 100% the same?

You didn't understand what I wrote, I see.

But the only way to make choices more meaningful and decisions harder it to add more skills,

Well that is obviously not true. You can have a very difficult and meaningful binary choice.

If there were only 30 nodes total, 10 firepower, 10 survival and 10 mobility, and you could only have 10 of them total, you would really struggle as to how to assign your points.

As it is there may be 220 total nodes but a huge chunk of them you either don't need or would not want to invest in.

The new Tree has 70+ Firepower nodes (another dozen added for new weapon tech), 22 Survival, 42 Mobility, 25 Operation, 27 Sensor, and 22 Aux nodes. Thats ~210 nodes to pick from with only 91 you can use at any given time. Add another 20 for mechs that can use jump jets. Even factoring out the ~30 weapon specialty nodes (which you would normally want at least 10 of them), you physically cannot get everything good without sacrificing something else good somewhere else. Sure, there are some specialty nodes you can bypass.

You can max survival, get all the good parts of mobility, get the majority of buffs for your preferred weapon, and still have a stack of skill points to invest in operation and sensors (plus one for misc!).

It's boring. All mechs are going to basically look like that... there are no meaningful choices. Oooh if you take jumpjets and you really want them buffed you might have to give something meaningful up! Such dynamism.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users