46 replies to this topic

#21 Shu Horus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:29 AM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 08 March 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

and picking up your target part brings me to the command counsel and the advance target decay,

@ 1000m i can fire 2 more volleys of 30' @ a target after ive lost visual and connect those 2 volleys

Really ? How many players playing more than a few days do you know, who are not equipping either Radar Derp or ECM ?
The soon you lose visual and no one keeps a lock for you...target lost the very instant.

#22 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

My favorite is a classic Catapult. Its a joy to drive.

Edited by Roughneck45, 09 March 2017 - 08:10 AM.

#23 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:17 AM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 08 March 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

and picking up your target part brings me to the command counsel and the advance target decay,

@ 1000m i can fire 2 more volleys of 30' @ a target after ive lost visual and connect those 2 volleys

May I ask what the relevance/importance of the Command Console is for an LRM build? Note: It increases data gathering times (how fast you get a damage display for your target). It does nothing for missile lock on times.

On the subject of LRM suggestions... I'd suggest never to "boat" LRMs. As in, taking nothing but LRMs. (With a few outlier exceptions I still wouldn't overly recommend.) I've had good luck with Stalkers back in the day, and the Hunchback 4J comes to mind as having a good blend of weapons to go with. Of course you also have the Mad Dog as well which is a strong contender.

Personally, I've been enjoying my Huntsmen LRM configuration, which I have to admit is very similar to my 4J loadout. Hey. If it isn't broken, why fix it?

Of course, I seemed to have developed a bit of a unique style in the manner of using my LRMs from the norm. I don't hide in the back, I push the front lines as needed, and I use LRMs as I approach, as a lure, as a terror weapon (suppression), etc. I'm using my alternative weapons as much as I use my LRMs in my matches, and take the LRMs as a form of flexibility.

#24 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

Im not justifying anything... you can take the free info that's provided to you.. or you can leave it on the table.. Its not my problem

you would be foolish to judge me by this account :)

#25 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

this is hard to narrow down. The best LRM boat.

For me - Battlemaster 1S 2 Artemis LRM 15's, 2 Artemis LRM 5's, 3 ML's, TAG, BAP CC, 5 DHS, 8 tons of LRM ammo, AMS, one ton of AMS ammo, 300 XL
but the huntsman'a are beginning to over shadow this mech for me.

Lights
Jenner Oxide (just to see if I can get over 720 when carrying 720 LRMs)
Jenner II c (having 6 LRM 5's is a mini catapult)

Mediums This is really hard.
Griffin 3M - BAP, ML, TAG, 3 LRM 5's, LRM 15.
Shadow Hawk K or is it H. 2 ML's, TAG, BAP, 3 x LRM 10's.
Wolverine Quarantine 2 ML, TAG BAP, 2 x ALRM 15's
Wovlerine 7D 2 MG, TAG, BAP, 2 ALRM 15's
Hunchback 4J. 2 LRM 10's and just about any combination of ML's and TAG.
Treb 7M 2 LRM 15's, TAG, BAP and 2 ML's (note drop down to 2 LRM 10's and add NARC.)
Huntsman any of them with 4 LRM 10's

Heavies
Jagermech A. 2 LRM 15's, 2 LRM 5's, ML, TAG, BAP, 2 MG's.
Catapult A1
Orion VA 4 ALRM 10's with ERLL, TAG and BAP
ARcher 2R 3 LRM 15's, 3 ML's TAG, BAP
Maddog A with 6 LRM 5's 3 ERML, TAG and BAP

Assualts
Atlas? Ok the S model with 4 LRM 10's works good. Sorry had to add it.
Battlemaster 1S 3 ML 2 ALRM 15's 2 ALRM 5's, TAG, BAP
King Crab 0000. 4 LRM 10 again see a pattern yet.
Cyclops 10-Q Ok this has 7 missile points, but 6 LRM 10's
Warhawk B 3 LRM 15's, 2 ERLL's , TAG BAP, TC-2 Or 4 ALRM 10's, 2 ERLL's, TAG, BAP
Zeus 6T 3 LRM 15's, 2 ERLL's, BAP TAG
Then the Stalkers and they can be scary boating LRM, LL's or PPC's.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 09 March 2017 - 11:31 AM.

#26 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

View PostShu Horus, on 09 March 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:

Really ? How many players playing more than a few days do you know, who are not equipping either Radar Derp or ECM ?
The soon you lose visual and no one keeps a lock for you...target lost the very instant.

You would be surprised how few people run with radar derp. Every few games I get a bugger with it on, but that is it. I run LRM boats due to playing with low frame rates, so I really should know. Hell I run it more that I see it.

#27 Robinhood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hauptmann
  • Hauptmann
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWestmont, IL USA

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 09 March 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

You would be surprised how few people run with radar derp. Every few games I get a bugger with it on, but that is it. I run LRM boats due to playing with low frame rates, so I really should know. Hell I run it more that I see it.

That'll change once you hit tier 2 and you stop seeing as many new players. It is an expensive module to unlock and then own so plenty of new players skip it, or perhaps don't realize how useful it is. I take it more to know when someone targeted me than I do to avoid LRM fire.

#28 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 09 March 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

View PostRobinhood78, on 09 March 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

That'll change once you hit tier 2 and you stop seeing as many new players. It is an expensive module to unlock and then own so plenty of new players skip it, or perhaps don't realize how useful it is. I take it more to know when someone targeted me than I do to avoid LRM fire.

I own 2 Radar Deprivations, I paid for one, I think the other came with a preorder, after testing it out decided RD was not helpful enough to justify keeping swapping it arround, but by the time it was released I had been playing for not far off 2 years and had already learned how to counter LRMs without it, the maybe 1 game in 30 where I have trouble with LRMs does not juistify worrying about RD especialy with the much more useful (for me) modules like TIG and 360TR available.

#29 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

HBK 4J 2XLRM10+3ml

Catapult 2XLRM15+tag+3 ML

Mad dog, 6XLRM5+ 4 ML

stalker 5m, 4XLRM10+narc+4ML

those are my favs

#30 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:33 PM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 09 March 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

Im not justifying anything... you can take the free info that's provided to you.. or you can leave it on the table.. Its not my problem

you would be foolish to judge me by this account Posted Image

If you are responding to me, I'm just wondering why you have a CC on the mech. It doesn't provide any benefits for LRMs besides increased sensor ranges, unto which are only moderately helpful as most times LRMs are not effective at long ranges (despite their name having "long range" in it). AP increases sensor ranges, weighs less as well as also can cancel a single nearby enemy ECM. I would imagine that would be more helpful, saving your tonnage for something else.

#31 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

I don't think it'll work for you if you don't like the STK-5M, but my best boat is the HGN-733 running 2LL, 2LRM10, and 2LRM15. I don't LURM much, so the stats aren't really that indicative of success. It's mega slow and requires a lot of positional awareness, so it's not a fit for your original question, but it's the boat I boat best.

Edited by Karl the Plumber, 09 March 2017 - 08:09 PM.

#32 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:10 AM

View PostTesunie, on 09 March 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

If you are responding to me,

Idk what to tell you... i know what pgi says and what really happens out there can be 2 different things..

All i know is thats what i run, i have instant lock up and im able to deliver rounds to a target many seconds after then are lost from visual

and the added 100 meters from the range modules does help..

I cant tell you the math behind the game.. for ever action there is a formula that the game is running..

IVe killed things @ 1080 meters... so saying it doesn't work.. isn't true
This game isnt about stats.. its about feel.. you have to feel your machine and run it effective for you..
My build probably wont work for you guys.. cause you cant pilot it like i can

#33 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:56 AM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 10 March 2017 - 02:10 AM, said:

Idk what to tell you... i know what pgi says and what really happens out there can be 2 different things..

All i know is thats what i run, i have instant lock up and im able to deliver rounds to a target many seconds after then are lost from visual

I cant tell you the math behind the game.. for ever action there is a formula that the game is running..

This game isnt about stats.. its about feel.. you have to feel your machine and run it effective for you..

I lol'd.

You should swap the command console for a BAP. It will make your LRM boat better. Or take both. Either way, BAP>CC for lrms.

#34 Shu Horus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:06 AM

Just for sake of input:

My only "LRM-Boat":
Shadowcat B : 2x LRM15 + Artemis + BAP + TAG + 2 ERMLas

Only carrying 900 Missiles, but the only ones that do not hit are usually the ones being shut down by AMS.

#35 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:34 AM

if it works for you then great, as I said earlier in the thread what works for 1 person will not always work for another,

My experiance is that the 6 seconds it takes the missiles to travel 1km makes it extremely unlikely that they will hit unless the pilot miscalculates the direction the missiles are traveling from or is Away From Keyboard (AFK) or DisConnected (DC), I find LRMs to be most effective at less than 500m, with line of sight.

also the only things which can speed a missile lock are Artemus TAG and NARC, Artemus and TAG stack, NARC and TAG stack, Artemus and NARC do not.

Target Info Gathering, Active Probe, Command Console and Targeting Computer speed target info but not missile lock

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 10 March 2017 - 07:35 AM.

#36 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

Sometimes there can be bugs/errors that can make things say one thing and do another. I've done some moderate testing with this and I'm fairly certain AP and CC don't affect missile lock on times nor do they increase target decay. Artemis and TAG will though (as well as NARC). I don't know what to tell you here otherwise, but I've never noticed those two systems to help LRMs in that manner. (Artemis alone will give you rather speedy locks and if combined with TAG it's even faster, and ATD as well as TAG can increase decay rather well.)

I only stated that LRMs start to become ineffective at longer ranges, working as best optimizations the closer the target is to the minimum ranges. This isn't to say that LRMs can't work out at the longest of their ranges, just that it normally isn't practical and often becomes unreliable. Thus why I feel CC and AP are of only limited use to LRMs, as each only increase the sensor ranges. But, they can still be useful in some cases. Just, for 3 tons compared to 1 ton, I'd rather slide in an AP over a CC. The AP will also disable a nearby enemy ECM, so you can at least maintain locks at farther targets. (But doesn't help you personally at that point against the ECM enemy, unless you also have SSRMs and/or it lets allies know an enemy is there. Otherwise, not much help for LRMs there at dealing with said ECM mech.)

I'm not trying to bash what works for you. Not at all. If I did that, I'd have to confront all the people who have bashed my builds and telling me how "terribad" and "worthless" they were, but they work for me. Trust me, I understand that concept. I'm just trying to be helpful and maybe help your build to work even better. Of course, this is subjective and completely up to you.

Maybe I should test the CC again, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't affect missile lock on times...

#37 sam wesson

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:09 AM

Hello Mechwarriors.

A small update.

Found a loadout for the Stalker 3H that takes advantage of the Lrm20 quirks.

The quirks are so good you only need 1 launcher, with Artemis and Lrm 20 Cooldown.

Plays right in the thick of it as an assault. With fair support for mechs in trouble. The 2 Srm4's & 4 med Lasers have enough punch to let you fight. You can actually fire on 2 or more targets at the same time on occasion.

Smurfy's has a glitch showing the arms are 20 tubes and the torsos are 6 tubes. This is backwards.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...71ff2838a42b744

Radar Dep, Lrm 20 cooldown & AMS overload finish it out.

Edited by sam wesson, 14 March 2017 - 06:11 AM.

#38 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:19 AM

View Postsam wesson, on 07 March 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

So, what is the best lurm boat?

Thank you for your kind consideration.Posted Image

Hoverlander-llC-B
ALRM70+TAG+LPL
Max engine + 2 jump Jets

So no one will take you seriously.

You will learn why LRMing is terrible.

Bonus points if you play aggressively 400m away from the target and tank some damage for your team.

If you sit in the back lobbing missiles from 1000m away you will never be able to say, "There can be only ONE!".

Thre can be only one Hoverlurmer.

Edited by InspectorG, 14 March 2017 - 06:19 AM.

#39 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

The Loyalty Staker is a great one. It has ECM.

If I controlled a unit or even a team, each mech would have ECM on it or would not be on the team.

#40 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

The best lurms boat is the one that is isolated from his team. The second best is the one that doesn't have backup weapons. The third best is the one that front loads his armor. Fourth best is the one that puts ammo in the legs.

Maybe I have been driving locusts too much lately?

Cheers!

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users